Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PriorMarcus posted:

Any rumours of further US/UK Godzilla releases? I know the rights are a mess but I'd love a follow-up to the Showa boxset with the next set of films.

Not that I've seen, and I'd be kinda surprised if there's anything like that in the works. For one thing, the "film history/preservation" angle* you could point to with the Showa era doesn't really exist with the Heisei and later series. For another thing, it's basically an open secret that working with Toho on the Showa set drove Criterion's people absolutely insane, to the point where they've basically foresworn ever touching the series again. The most natural fit for a new Godzilla box set would seem to be someone like Arrow (their Gamera set was miles ahead of the Criterion Godzilla set), but Toho seems pretty uninterested these days in doing anything -- let alone anything exciting -- with actual home video releases. They're just cashing in on a seemingly endless series of tie-ins with apparel designers, boutique toy companies, various Mondo curiosities, and (of all things) hot sauce and coffee labels.

I'm not saying we'll *never* see a new generation of western home video releases for the post-Showa Godzilla series, but I'd be surprised if it happens anytime soon, and I'll be even more surprised if it's a quality product worth paying for.

*not that the Criterion Showa set was a great example of that, considering Toho insisted on excluding a number of classic English dubs that they've basically placed under damnatio memoriae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Watch this be a cash grab and the UHDs are announced within 6 months of this release.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VoodooXT posted:

Watch this be a cash grab and the UHDs are announced within 6 months of this release.

100%

It'll probably be a Tarantino 4K collection

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm happy with my properly definitive copy of Jackie Brown (the 2000s DVD special edition with the bluray disc in there)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Randomly grabbed the 4k of elysium because I saw it had a good review on blu ray. It reminded me of a weird issue I'd see when I watched the blu ray years ago.

During effects heavy shots (like ships in space) I'd get this weird artifacting with the ship moving across the black background. What causes that?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So I see that Arrow Video has a new Blu-ray of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark coming out in September. They also have a steelbook Blu-Ray they've previously released. Is there an easy way to see the differences between the two releases? I got the steelbook but if the new release has better features or is noticeably improved in some way I may want to double dip.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So I see that Arrow Video has a new Blu-ray of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark coming out in September. They also have a steelbook Blu-Ray they've previously released. Is there an easy way to see the differences between the two releases? I got the steelbook but if the new release has better features or is noticeably improved in some way I may want to double dip.

They're both restorations from 4K scans of the original elements; the steelbook was from a 2018 restoration, this one's brand new, so without having seen side-by-side comparisons the assumption is this is the best it's ever looked, but if you have the steelbook and are fine with it I wouldn't be sold on just that

All the special features seem to be the same otherwise. Here's info on the new one and here's info on the steelbook

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Not sure if anyone else was watching for them but, I just got an email that my replacement Showgirls disc has shipped

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1692567185137316204

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What the gently caress is that cover and whose nephew got paid to make it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's not their best. that's for sure. Though I've hardly ever been a fan of their custom artwork. This one is especially egregious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Shout Factory I usually like to go with the standard editions because they still come with a nice slipcover and they often will also have reversible art.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The shout factory Hackers steel is also pretty drat ugly, but in all the right ways.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah I just saw the steelbook for that and cancelled my regular edition for it. It looks appropriate and it isnt a mushyily drawn matthew lillard head floating in a virtual space.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I don't know if anything will ever top the pulp fiction steel art in terms of pure low effort

his right hand looks like some poo poo AI would do

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When I first got back into blurays however many years ago, I feel like the steelbook art work was so much better than the majority of what we get today lol. I have the fall of the house of usher steelbook and it's so good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kingtheninja posted:

Randomly grabbed the 4k of elysium because I saw it had a good review on blu ray. It reminded me of a weird issue I'd see when I watched the blu ray years ago.

During effects heavy shots (like ships in space) I'd get this weird artifacting with the ship moving across the black background. What causes that?

You’re going to have to be more specific on what you mean by artifacting. A bright ship moving against a black background would be the worst case scenario for LCD ghosting in which case a UHD wouldn’t help. It could also be due to wonky HD->UHD upscaling by either the player or the TV.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just got my Wal Marts last copy of The Gate!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

4K sale on Criterion's website, including preorders.

https://www.criterion.com/shop/brow...m_term=aug-2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

4K sale on Criterion's website, including preorders.

https://www.criterion.com/shop/brow...m_term=aug-2023

I didn’t know they were doing Don’t Look Now I’m 4k this is very exciting for me

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

zer0spunk posted:

I don't know if anything will ever top the pulp fiction steel art in terms of pure low effort

his right hand looks like some poo poo AI would do

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

god dammit elon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

god dammit elon

I loving knew that logo looked familiar and I couldn't place it until now, thank you

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

Just got my Wal Marts last copy of The Gate!

I just realized it's a Vestron Video and now the slip cover doesn't match the rest of my Vestron Videos. :tif:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Aside from the sleeve thing, I liked and own that kane edition. Minimalism doesn't bother me for the most part.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'd really like Criterion to put the 4ks in normal cases.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheScott2K posted:

They do. I grabbed a movie off the shelf and didn't find out it was a 4k until it rang up for more than I expected because they use identical cases for their 4ks and blurays.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

They do. I grabbed a movie off the shelf and didn't find out it was a 4k until it rang up for more than I expected because they use identical cases for their 4ks and blurays.

I agree that they should do something on the spine or the front cover, the sticker that says anything is on the shrink wrap. To be fair though, the back top right says the format, so at least it is somewhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

For the most part they do but once in a while they'll do something fancier with the packaging and with blu rays minor disc damage wasn't much of an issue but UHDs are much more sensitive so probably better if they stay away from any sleeve-based packaging.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Glad to hear it. The two I have are nonstandard and not even the same size with each other, and the others I've considered (Dazed and Confused and Menace II Society) were cardboard.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TheScott2K posted:

Okay this is actually good to hear because I definitely ordered the Blu Ray of Triangle of Sadness for my library and got the 4K instead.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked that one more when I opened it and the flaps went K A N E. Like, that’s kinda neat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

david_a posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific on what you mean by artifacting. A bright ship moving against a black background would be the worst case scenario for LCD ghosting in which case a UHD wouldn’t help. It could also be due to wonky HD->UHD upscaling by either the player or the TV.

Ah that's probably what I was seeing then. I have an oled tv now so I'll see if it gets any better but if it can't be helped that's fine. Always wondered if it was something I did to my set.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Speaking of Criterion, there's a seller on Etsy who does Criterion-style packaging designs and I really dig his stuff, so I finally bit the bullet and splashed out for one because I wasn't happy with the standard DVD or Blu-Ray cases for American Movie. Super happy I did - it arrived today and it looks great, fits right in on my shelf and with my other Criterion plastic cases, and it's a much more interesting representation of the film to me.

He has a lot of cool customs on his shop, and I'm probably going to commission one for my special edition DVD of Network next. Shame it seems the Godzilla cases are sold out for now but hopefully they'll be back in time for Christmas so I can get them for my partner.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheScott2K posted:

Glad to hear it. The two I have are nonstandard and not even the same size with each other, and the others I've considered (Dazed and Confused and Menace II Society) were cardboard.

Yeah they do that with regular blurays too sometimes. It loving sucks!

Basebf555 posted:

For the most part they do but once in a while they'll do something fancier with the packaging and with blu rays minor disc damage wasn't much of an issue but UHDs are much more sensitive so probably better if they stay away from any sleeve-based packaging.

They should stay away from cardboard and sleeve packaging for everything! That poo poo sucks! I had to buy custom Godzilla cases off Etsy to hold the Godzilla discs when the glue in their Godzilla packaging started to melt!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

I never understood the beef with this one. I love it. Iconic. And the way it unfolds to spell KANE? :discourse: Legit one of my favorite Criterion packages.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I never understood the beef with this one.

IIRC, there was something wrong with the encode and Criterion dragged their rear end fixing it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

VoodooXT posted:

IIRC, there was something wrong with the encode and Criterion dragged their rear end fixing it.

No, we roasted the gently caress out of Criterion for making that the art on their first UHD.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

can we get this as a smilie for when somebody says some longwinded nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I never understood the beef with this one. I love it. Iconic. And the way it unfolds to spell KANE? :discourse: Legit one of my favorite Criterion packages.

I still don’t understand what the previous scene button has to do with Citizen Kane.