Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Josh Lyman posted:

It almost certainly was just the manufacturing cost

Or even more likely the cost estimate for the replacement that they ordered from their metalworking contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

quote:

youll never sustain a sicker burn than the insane + brutal carpet-borne friction from backpedalling after the worm turned on your fucker moron youtube content. your legs flailed in ever gayer circles fred flintstone style as you raced from the lego den to the computer room to let people know that your fun, inclusive workplace plus the time and money you spent trying to set up a more professional testing lab than the ersatz hard-r-word operation where you put the wrong GPUs on a waterblock were all part of your incredible company. you cannot save face or be even remotely not gay.

:five:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Linus attempts to lighten the mood during a WAN Show stream, "well, HR at the time was just *Borat voice* MY WIFE..."

Loud boos are heard as Terren roughly places a black bag over Linuses head and drags him off camera and out of the building.

I re-listened to the leaked audio from the meeting, Linus does say they have a "3rd party HR Firm". However does also say that him or Yvonne are to be talked with after manager and before HR in the chain. It's just sickening listening to how badly they don't understand much of anything.

It is sad that there won't be a WAN show tonight. To see him pile drive the last few nails in the coffin himself, Luke try and mental gymnastics his way out and into another job somewhere, while Dan just walks o

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Koskun posted:

I re-listened to the leaked audio from the meeting, Linus does say they have a "3rd party HR Firm". However does also say that him or Yvonne are to be talked with after manager and before HR in the chain. It's just sickening listening to how badly they don't understand much of anything.

It is sad that there won't be a WAN show tonight. To see him pile drive the last few nails in the coffin himself, Luke try and mental gymnastics his way out and into another job somewhere, while Dan just walks o

Oh, I'm sure there'll be one next week. My guess is there was a herculean effort to stop the show one time and they won't be able to do it a second.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The WAN Show would have gone off the rails after the chat was full of all sorts of nonsense while they’re trying to talk about Intel’s new GPU Busy software. Eventually Linus starts breaking down.

“Guys, I’m sorry, but I can’t keep doing this. Like…seriously, that guy in the chat just accused me of losing Billet Labs’ 3090 ti.”

Luke looks at Linus like ok here we go.

“Do you think you could be here, in my shoes, and do this better? Do you think you could not lose a 3090ti now and then? Like come on guys. OK fine. I’m done.”

A pause for like 10 seconds.

“Like I’m just flesh and blood like the rest of you guys, just trying to do the best I can, doing right by my subscribers and everyone here in the chat. Maybe we made a bunch of HR mistakes, I don’t know, maybe we did. In fact I know we did. I know for a fact that-”

Yvonne walks on set from off screen, walks up to Linus, and tases him in the balls.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yvonne Terren walks on set from off screen, walks up to Linus, and tases him in the balls.

Yvonne wouldn't do poo poo, she probably thinks her poor husband is the victim in all of this.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yvonne wouldn't do poo poo, she probably thinks her poor husband is the victim in all of this.

I imagine her having more self-preservation than Linus does even if she sucks just as much, but then again she hasn’t stopped him from posting through it, so you’re probably right.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

I imagine her having more self-preservation than Linus does even if she sucks just as much, but then again she hasn’t stopped him from posting through it, so you’re probably right.

When Linus was doing the WAN show at home after he got Covid (right after Computex), Yvonne was in the next room hosting a crafting party.

It's a pretty safe bet she doesn't.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 19, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

In short
-Gamers Nexus does their first video
-Linus responds on the forums, defensive and warping the narrative
-Gamers Nexus responds in their news video and says ok we’re done
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment and how she left 2 years ago
-Hours later, LLT posts their “apology” video which is incredibly middling, including sponsor jokes, Linus continuing to be defensive, and so on. Does not address the Madison stuff, was filmed prior. They put a pause on video production for one week.
-Linus says he had no idea about the Madison stuff, shocked appalled, etc.
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 2 years ago, originally leaked 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
-Various LLT past and present employees continue to post short messages largely corroborating or supporting Madison’s posts.
-The WAN Show was cancelled, to the sadness of us all.

Isn't the thing that kicked things off a snarky comment some guy in Labs made on video that took shots at Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Isn't the thing that kicked things off a snarky comment some guy in Labs made on video that took shots at Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed?

Probably to an extent, but it all began to simmer some when GN called out Linus' backpack bullshit.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

The comment from the guy in the Labs was during a tour that happened at LTX, which was like 3 weeks ago.

Steve said this was something they had been working on for months, and the backpack warranty con was just part of it. That video clip being released was simply icing on the cake for him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Unlike Youtube, Twitch chat runs all the time, regardless if there is a stream up or not. People are already chatting it up on LTT's Twitch channel even though there'll be no WAN Show today. That'd be hilarious if people just stayed the entire time the show would've run, and "comment" on the proceedings that aren't happening.

"Hey everyone. Oh, it's 8:30, this would be where Linus tells chat they're wrong, and proceeds to let them know why with several incorrect examples. Luke's soul continues to visibly leave his body."

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

peepeepants posted:

The CEO and everyone else around him. Just as likely Luke and Dan refused to do the show and that is what changed Linus's mind.

Hopefully the CEO got Linus and Yvonne to go on a long vacation in a location with no internet as well.

I hear McMurdo Station is lovely this time of year.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Lima posted:

I hear McMurdo Station is lovely this time of year.

Linus: "Look honey, there's a helicopter chasing a sled dog! Wonder what that's about?" :v:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is there a link to the GN segment about the LTT backpack?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Seams posted:

Is there a link to the GN segment about the LTT backpack?

https://youtu.be/OdxVtAiYeL0

And then the follow up where Steve outlines how he’ll cover LTT in the future

https://youtu.be/jsX3tUA-wJk

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 19, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cheers

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

realistically, this video would have been in production for a bit already, while it's not impossible to crank out a video in the two weeks since LTX, I can only assume there was some introspection and time delay emailing back and forth with Billet, followed by the gathering of reciepts.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 19, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The first ltt vid GN posted is up to 4.3mil views :x maybe he shoulda monetized lol

(jk. do not attack me for jokes. it is illegal and I will start crying)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

The first ltt vid GN posted is up to 4.3mil views :x maybe he shoulda monetized lol

Linus, is that you?!?!?!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
The followup has over 2 million views (5 or 10 times as many as a normal video of theirs), so he is getting at least some money off of it at least. I wonder if he's picking up subscribers as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://youtu.be/OdxVtAiYeL0

And then the follow up where Steve outlines how he’ll cover LTT in the future

https://youtu.be/jsX3tUA-wJk

Thanks for these. I particularly liked this line right here which has aged like fine wine in context of the lovely Billet Labs re-testing cost comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsX3tUA-wJk&t=557s
Timestamped, please listen to these 10 seconds :discourse:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

beep by grandpa posted:

you are under my protection. Should any strike at you I will quote them and write “oh???”

mewse
May 2, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

praying 4 u

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Triikan posted:

The followup has over 2 million views (5 or 10 times as many as a normal video of theirs), so he is getting at least some money off of it at least. I wonder if he's picking up subscribers as well.

GN picked up another ~120K subscribers since Monday, so yeah.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/gamersnexus

And Floatplane has lost nearly 6K subscribers in the same time frame. That's ~30k/month gone in four days.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Unlike Youtube, Twitch chat runs all the time, regardless if there is a stream up or not. People are already chatting it up on LTT's Twitch channel even though there'll be no WAN Show today. That'd be hilarious if people just stayed the entire time the show would've run, and "comment" on the proceedings that aren't happening.

"Hey everyone. Oh, it's 8:30, this would be where Linus tells chat they're wrong, and proceeds to let them know why with several incorrect examples. Luke's soul continues to visibly leave his body."

I typed something in there (not related to the drama) to see how long the slow mode is set to, and it disappeared. I think they have people monitoring chat to keep it empty unless I’m an idiot and just can’t see anything for some reason.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Twitter thread from DBrand.
Of note:

Did DBrand just drop LTT as a sponsor? That's how I'm reading it, but it doesn't look like Reddit figured that out yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hopefully Linus Torvalds doesn't treat his staff like this.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Probably until the "investigation" is done

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Of note:

Did DBrand just drop LTT as a sponsor? That's how I'm reading it, but it doesn't look like Reddit figured that out yet.

Reads to me like they're planning to wait and see, and just being edgy with the box of glass comment.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Of note:

They should have put 500 dollars in the box of broken glass.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i'd imagine a lot of sponsors are waiting.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

rio posted:

I typed something in there (not related to the drama) to see how long the slow mode is set to, and it disappeared. I think they have people monitoring chat to keep it empty unless I’m an idiot and just can’t see anything for some reason.

The chat is empty when you join. People who are hanging around in the chat can see messages, but you won't see previous messages if you leave and come back.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hopefully Linus Torvalds doesn't treat his staff like this.

I'm torn between he never would because he's spineless and he's way worse because god drat have you ever seen the poo poo he posts?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Reads to me like they're planning to wait and see, and just being edgy with the box of glass comment.

Oh the broken glass is standard DBrand, but putting a sponsorship on pause is a surprise.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dbrand are assholes, but not that kind of assholes. They'll be edgy all the way up until a partnership can damage their brand. The box of broken glass is just standard "dbrand antagonizing Linus" stuff, but they will probably pull sponsorships if the investigation goes south.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dbrand are the edgiest sticker company around.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Will this be the first time Linus has to fire someone for optics / to duck any responsibility himself? (Not that the person won't necessarily deserve it, but that won't be why its being done.)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
maybe he will finally fire colton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
LMG decided not to upload any Floatplane-exclslusive content this week despite "yes" winning their poll about it: