Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Tekopo posted:

Do you mean Crystal Tower? Or did you do Coils synched? Cause coils synched you need to find a group usually, so curious to know if you found one to do it.

I did the first 6 parts of coil through duty finder, and then the rest I made a party finder while I ran around dropping uniforms off. I did crystal tower totally from duty finder. The biggest challenge was coil part... 9? I couldn't sight read some insta-death mechanic so I had to look it up but otherwise easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

I did the first 6 parts of coil through duty finder, and then the rest I made a party finder while I ran around dropping uniforms off. I did crystal tower totally from duty finder. The biggest challenge was coil part... 9? I couldn't sight read some insta-death mechanic so I had to look it up but otherwise easy enough.

I'm somewhat amazed you were able to get through that much of coils via duty finder. It's not something you can usually find a group for that way.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Relyssa posted:

I'm somewhat amazed you were able to get through that much of coils via duty finder. It's not something you can usually find a group for that way.

I did wait a longer time than dungeons but I was doing other things and got lucky I guess?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think when I went through ARR it really helped that I had people that I knew that were playing along with me because doing the dungeons and trials with people more than willing to help in order to get Poetics did make at least those parts interesting. I even fully got baited into the "Cape Westwind" joke as well (RIP), which in retrospect was kind of funny. I went through ARR during the pandemic and didn't have much to do so wasting time and talking to friends while doing the MSQ wasn't so bad. I finished ARR and I didn't wholy get the hype, because the story for ARR seemed extremely generic and by the numbers, and there weren't any real strong characters present to carry it, as well as some annoying characters with really bad voice directing. I went back to try to do the new Cape Westwind and post-prae solo duties and the amount of uninteresting busy work wasn't great, even with skipping texts which I wasn't doing on my first run-through.

After getting past the ARR credits and getting on the 2.x stuff, the grind through them was incredibly tedious and unfun. I literally pulled up a wiki to start counting the number of quests that I needed to do because I was getting really bored that it was all set up and busy work with very little pay off. I was very close to just ending it, but kept hearing that at a certain point, things did improve. I kept trucking on and, at least for me, the story does take a more interesting turn just before HW and I was invested enough to keep going through HW, which I enjoyed. I thought the story was alright up and improving (although there are a few bad spots in Stormblood), but I think it was Shadowbringers where I really started to see all the pieces fit together, and appreciated at least a little bit more what they were trying to do in ARR and then further along. I think it's a hard sell though to tell someone to go through 100 hours of a mediocre RPG in order to get to the "good stuff".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I did wait a longer time than dungeons but I was doing other things and got lucky I guess?
DF is completely loving dead for Coils in EU. I did Coils unsynched eventually because there just aren't that many people trying to actually run it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Just to clarify, this text is definitely making fun of Alphinaud and not at all sincere.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

Just to clarify, this text is definitely making fun of Alphinaud and not at all sincere.

very, very hard to tell what is and isn't sincere with this text if we are being honest. I read it as sincere because so far, there is no indication the writers don't think highly of him. They made him a commander of an entire new Grand Company.....

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

very, very hard to tell what is and isn't sincere with this text if we are being honest. I read it as sincere because so far, there is no indication the writers don't think highly of him. They made him a commander of an entire new Grand Company.....

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Even synced, coils are way easier now than they were in ARR or even HW due to how skills have changed at level 50 and overall dps inflation. T13 was cleared without too much extra gear. At i130 even in ARR you overgeared T13 and trivialized some of the mechanics.

My guess is the parties collected via DF were mostly people doing mentor roulette, so they're more likely to be familiar enough with the fights. That plus stat and skill changes since then make them perfectly doable.

Min-ilevel is where the real challenge lies. You definitely need a party that knows the fight well for that.

TLD: one thing to take into context - a lot of the story you're powering through originally took years to fully play out. There were months between chunks of the story, and they had a lot of filler to stretch that out as much as possible. This isn't to justify it, but rather to present a logic to it. It's terrible to consume all at once because it wasn't designed and didn't initially exist all at once. This was a game that originally had a decreasing experience gains the more you played. During 1.0, you were literally limited to playing a small number of hours a day if you wanted to maximize experience gains. 1.0 was an insane mess, and it's crazy that they were able to salvage the game.

I'm not certain, but I think that a full revamp of ARR is eventually planned. They've done a lot already with dungeons and instances as everything the story touches now uses standardized markers and they changed the terrible 1.0 holdover dungeons. I just think that the early story rewrite is backburner work.

The flavor text for quests and things are often very tongue in check. I'm excited for you to finish the next few parts of the story.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mentor roulette doesn't include coils. I must admit I'm shocked almost to the point of disbelief that you'd be able to get a duty finder pop for the first 6 floors of coils. I imagine on many servers you could wait hours and not even have the first floor pop.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
If you like Coils/CT/general Allagan stuff, there's tons of chances to get more of that later on. I always get excited when the game introduces some new Dwemer Allagan fuckery. The HW max-level trial series really goes into that and HW itself has some of my favorite zones, one which is full-on Allagan insanity.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even synced, coils are way easier now than they were in ARR or even HW due to how skills have changed at level 50 and overall dps inflation. T13 was cleared without too much extra gear. At i130 even in ARR you overgeared T13 and trivialized some of the mechanics.

My guess is the parties collected via DF were mostly people doing mentor roulette, so they're more likely to be familiar enough with the fights. That plus stat and skill changes since then make them perfectly doable.

Min-ilevel is where the real challenge lies. You definitely need a party that knows the fight well for that.

TLD: one thing to take into context - a lot of the story you're powering through originally took years to fully play out. There were months between chunks of the story, and they had a lot of filler to stretch that out as much as possible. This isn't to justify it, but rather to present a logic to it. It's terrible to consume all at once because it wasn't designed and didn't initially exist all at once. This was a game that originally had a decreasing experience gains the more you played. During 1.0, you were literally limited to playing a small number of hours a day if you wanted to maximize experience gains. 1.0 was an insane mess, and it's crazy that they were able to salvage the game.

I'm not certain, but I think that a full revamp of ARR is eventually planned. They've done a lot already with dungeons and instances as everything the story touches now uses standardized markers and they changed the terrible 1.0 holdover dungeons. I just think that the early story rewrite is backburner work.

The flavor text for quests and things are often very tongue in check. I'm excited for you to finish the next few parts of the story.

Yeah I get all that, and I love MMOs and have played most of them (outside of F2P and a majority of Korean ones) so I’m coming at this and my opinion is being formed as a new player experiencing all this at once. It truly leaves a sour taste in my mouth and if I was a normal person trying to get into this I could only imagine how many simply give up

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

Mentor roulette doesn't include coils. I must admit I'm shocked almost to the point of disbelief that you'd be able to get a duty finder pop for the first 6 floors of coils. I imagine on many servers you could wait hours and not even have the first floor pop.

It was maybe a 30 minute wait and I believe most people returned for all 6?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

It was maybe a 30 minute wait and I believe most people returned for all 6?

Ah well if you rolled with more or less the same group through all 6 that makes a lot more sense.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah that seems really lucky. I think I waited an hour and didn't get the first floor to pop when I originally tried it and didn't know what it was like.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yeah I get all that, and I love MMOs and have played most of them (outside of F2P and a majority of Korean ones) so I’m coming at this and my opinion is being formed as a new player experiencing all this at once. It truly leaves a sour taste in my mouth and if I was a normal person trying to get into this I could only imagine how many simply give up

Totally. We've talked countless players though the ARR doldrums. You're rounding third, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Right, I get that. I'm laughing imagining anyone redoing any of this.

ng+ thankfully lets you pick where you start so you don't have to play through ARR if you wanna play through the Shadowbringers MSQ again (which I just did :cheers:)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I always love it when a new player deals with ARR-era Alphinaud and experiences the entirely appropriate response.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

he sucks so much!!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

he is the worst and never stops being the worst

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When I started my alt, I literally clutched my head and went "oh gently caress, I forgot about ARR Alphinaud."

He gets better, but he's still a 17-year-old MIT grad who thinks he can solve the world's problems with the power of friendship.

He's right more often than he's wrong, but mostly because he has a large stick (i.e. you) by his side to back up the friendship with the power of incredible violence.

I leave what other large sticks Alphinaud may have as an exercise for the reader.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I think you should elaborate.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

He gets better, but he's still a 17-year-old MIT grad who thinks he can solve the world's problems with the power of friendship.

He's right more often than he's wrong, but mostly because he has a large stick (i.e. you) by his side to back up the friendship with the power of incredible violence.

"Your idealism is your weakness."
"Joke's on you I'm going to idealism even harder."

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alphinaud is worth it solely for all the recurring swimming and gathering firewood jokes, especially this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59TR8pShQ0

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dareon posted:

I leave what other large sticks Alphinaud may have as an exercise for the reader.

Alphinaud is a minor

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Dareon posted:

When I started my alt, I literally clutched my head and went "oh gently caress, I forgot about ARR Alphinaud."

Its cool that this community feels comfortable enough to yell "The 10 year old has a huge cock" in a public setting and yet I'm the one derided and ignored and called a troll. lmfao

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A friend of mine started calling him "Alphi-nope" through ARR, and most of 3.0 Heavensward so far.

I like to think at this point it's gradually turning into a term of endearment, but I could be wrong.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got an 80 BLM skip since they're on sale and currently turning the summerford dummies into a frozen, flaming pile of splinters. What an interesting resource management job

Am i right on the following points so far

Don't loving move around unless you haaaave to
T3/T4 are your basic single/aoe dots you want to keep ticking if possible
B3/F3 grant/refresh AF/UI but the 4's don't
F4 is your single dps if you don't have resources for bigger hits like xeno/despair at the moment, BUT -
you want to have B4 before that to get hearts
Foul/Xeno are big blaps you want to use at a rate such that you're not wasting polyglot, similar to Phlegma charges on SGE
Flare/Despair are big hits but zero out mana so you must B2/B3 next
Transpose not super used during combat at higher levels, mostly between packs. Probably more useful in low dungeons?
B1 seems useless if youre scaled to 35 or higher as you'll have B3; F1 has that little free-F4 proc but is that a trap or nah?

note that im not looking for a 100% tuned savage ready rotation or anything, just general high level ideas and approaches

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
- Yes, but if the dot falls off and you're in your fire phase, just save it until you're back in blizzard.

B1 seems useless if youre scaled to 35 or higher as you'll have B3; F1 has that little free-F4 proc but is that a trap or nah?
- Fire 1 is an absolute necessity. You will need to use it during your fire phase to refresh after a few Fire 4s. It granting a free instant Fire 3 will also help with movement situations as well, or just extra dps at the end of your fire phase.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh, so it resets the clock _and_ might give you you an insta free F4 (edit F3, learn to read tooltips jonny). Very cool okay

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 19, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, it'll put your astral fire back to full. Just note that it grants a free Fire 3, not Fire 4.

Fire 3 is mostly just used for switching from Blizzard to Fire phases, but you can use the free proc as movement utility, keeping AF going since it also will reset the clock, or extra damage.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

(its been 30+ hours since a new dungeon btw)

all the level 50 dungeons from patches 2.0 to 2.3 were optional sidequests rather than part of the msq. you don't need to do 'em but they're there https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jonny 290 posted:

got an 80 BLM skip since they're on sale and currently turning the summerford dummies into a frozen, flaming pile of splinters. What an interesting resource management job

Am i right on the following points so far

Don't loving move around unless you haaaave to
B3/F3 grant/refresh AF/UI but the 4's don't
F4 is your single dps if you don't have resources for bigger hits like xeno/despair at the moment, BUT -
you want to have B4 before that to get hearts
Foul/Xeno are big blaps you want to use at a rate such that you're not wasting polyglot, similar to Phlegma charges on SGE
Flare/Despair are big hits but zero out mana so you must B2/B3 next
Transpose not super used during combat at higher levels, mostly between packs. Probably more useful in low dungeons?

note that im not looking for a 100% tuned savage ready rotation or anything, just general high level ideas and approaches

It takes two server ticks, which is to say at most 6 seconds, to fully refresh your MP when you're in Umbral Ice III. To guarantee that they pass, you want to cast a minimum of two spells between swapping into ice mode and swapping out.

That is: 0 MP -> [ Blizz 3 ][ something ][ something ][ Fire 3 ] 10,000 MP. Sometimes you'll literally refill all your MP while Fire 3 is casting, if your spellspeed's high and things just happen to line up that way.

Generally, one of those two somethings is going to be a cast of Blizzard 4, and the other one is going to either be Foul/Xeno or a refresh of your Thunder dot, as necessary. If you can't do either, you might end up casting Blizzard 1 just to be putting out some kind of damage while your mana's refilling, but that's extremely rare, and at level 90 Blizzard 1 will be conditionally upgraded to something really strong that you do want to cast whenever you can.

Like Orcs says, Fire 1 is your most efficient means of refreshing Astral Fire, so you'll usually cast it once per fire cycle. It generally goes like Fire4, Fire4, Fire4, Fire1, Fire4, Fire4, Fire4, Despair.

You can use Transpose for a small optimization around Firestarter procs, but it's also a decent panic button to press if you're about to drop out of Enochian all together and just want to make sure Polyglot keeps ticking.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

keep Blizzard 1 on your bars, there have been more than a few times where I've dropped enochian with zero mp and in that situation if you don't have any ethers handy, Blizzard 1 will at least get you back in umbral ice phase regenerating mp

also, beware using a proc'd Fire 3 to start your astral fire phase: it starts the enochian clock a bit earlier than hard casting Fire 3 so you have less margin for error when it comes to getting your three Fire 4's out in time

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

3.0 complete, now for post-main patch quests! :toot:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

3.0 complete, now for post-main patch quests! :toot:

Congrats! There’s a lot of awesome stuff in post-HW, make sure to do the trial series and normal/alliance raid series too! The alliance raids are fun and the normal raid story is pretty wild (although it starts a bit slow)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ferrinus posted:

notes on blowing poo poo up for fun and profit

This is all really good. thank you! Really helpful, I was wondering what the time on UI mana regen is.

And i have been running some lowbie dungeons this evening to get a feel for the simpler toolkit , and i was wrong about transpose - down there, it's not just helpful, it's necessary. Again, i didn't read the tool tips - f1/b1 don't switch it up like the higher levels, so for the first half of haukke i was all "man this poo poo kinda sucks where's my ice regen" till i looked at what was going on. Then i started crushing it. and it's fun to twiddle transpose while the 3 cutsceners in your party are mulling around wondering where to go next. ALWAYS. BATTLE. READY.

BTW it looks like polyglots never time out? Is it generally smarter to finish off a previous pack with one or hold for the next? I think if i keep enochian ticking with transpose i'll build them back up anyways, so i'm inclined to burn any leftovers on the first pack.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ohtori Akio posted:

I think you should elaborate.

The one up his rear end, of course, I don't know what you might otherwise have been thinking o-

Runa posted:

Alphinaud is a minor

(I legit did not connect that could be a dick joke)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/have-a-stick-up-your-rear end

Yes, it doesn't really fit him. I'm just gonna stop trying to make jokes or have any emotional investment in threads or events, it never goes well

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 19, 2023