Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Starbucks posted:

This is something I wrote into the void at the time as it was becoming increasingly obvious they were bungling the Small Business to Medium Business transition. A clear lack of corporate governance, an unbalanced business, clear lack of roles.

I think at a rough guide they have 100 employees, HR and Finance is one person which is loving crazy in itself in that a single person on finance is a massive corporate risk, same with HR. They have no PR role, they have little to no corporate risk or governance role, I am assuming legal is outsourced but then you need the corporate risk and governance role on the company side to work with that.

I am willing to give the very janky IT setup a pass based purely on the fact it is used as a source for creating videos purely for people to watch the incompetence.

Getting a CEO was a good start, hopefully he is able to build a decent quality board of directors, build out the marketing side a bit, separate HR and Finance, get in external auditors if they don’t already.

This happens a lot more than people realise where they build out operations but none of the supporting roles with LTT in any support roles currently being stretched thin with little to no cover.

Not going to go into the whole other parts with this around what happened because each and every one of those problems can be explained by this.

Again, I don't think Linus brought on Terren as CEO to actually run the company. I think he just wanted some plausible deniability for bad business decisions and a figurehead/scapegoat he could throw under the bus when needed. The problem is that he still owns the company, it's named after him, and he's by far the most public face associated with the company, so it's pretty obvious that no major decisions are going to be made without his input and approval. He likely doesn't see having Yvonne as finance and/or HR as an issue because she's not going anywhere either (unless they get divorced).

E: I was just thinking about his "I'm stepping down as CEO because I want to spend more time with my family" video, and what a crock of poo poo that was. If he truly wanted to spend more time with his kids, he'd have taken whatever buyout offer was made for LMG (if such an offer actually even existed), and set himself and his family up for life. Instead, his narcissism, workaholic mentality, and business owner brainworms all prevailed over his financial business sense and made him stay on long enough to see his company's reputation (and his own) get absolutely torched.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It sounded like Yvonne is no longer HR and that it’s under Colton in the we hosed up video. And IT seemed to actually be becoming a thing under Luke.

So they’re getting their ducks in line but way later than they needed to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah, this wasn't a usual "poo poo's rotten, replace the CEO" kinda deal, I don't think there was any expectation of cleaning house. Why would there be? Linus, who hired the CEO, put all those people in those positions to begin with.

Also, back office people cost money, so we won't be hiring them. For the things that need done, everyone draw a title out of this hat. You have those responsibilities now as well. You won't be paid more, and you can't put it on your resume.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus hired a CEO because he wants someone to do all the boring "running a business" stuff so he can be free to spend all his time pushing his "vision".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Yeah, this wasn't a usual "poo poo's rotten, replace the CEO" kinda deal, I don't think there was any expectation of cleaning house. Why would there be? Linus, who hired the CEO, put all those people in those positions to begin with.

Also, back office people cost money, so we won't be hiring them. For the things that need done, everyone draw a title out of this hat. You have those responsibilities now as well. You won't be paid more, and you can't put it on your resume.

And also you're expected to produce several funny videos a week or at least appear in several funny videos every week, regardless of what your actual job is. No, you won't be getting paid any more money for those, either.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think the new CEO is there for plausible deniability for Linus's bad decisions, I think Linus genuinely wanted someone with more organizational skill to do the "business stuff" but explicitly not to do PR or anything public-facing because Linus thinks that's his job. And he's terrible at it. He thinks people like him because he's a Good Guy when in reality people like(d) him for the entertaining tech clown poo poo.

The inaccuracies in testing and reviews, which are clearly the least of their problems, are a symptom of the work environment where everyone is rushed and under constant pressure to upload and move to their next content. Trying to run a big, busy testing lab is only going to make that worse, under pressure to make that investment pay off they'll try to wring that much more content out of not that many more producers. Slowing down the pace is the answer there, but that's the opposite of what Linus wants.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

remembering that time he thought it was ok to tell repeatedly to an employee to try and throw a wrench off the roof onto the other roof across the parking lot and was upset when he did it

mewse
May 2, 2006

i keep thinking how madison was denied a purchase request for a $15 paper notebook and linus thinks he’s building a world class testing lab

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We should also keep in mind that Madison's allegations weren't just about sexual harassment, but about a very toxic working environment in general:

-the head of HR at the time also being the wife of the CEO at the time, presenting a very evident conflict of interest
-management having completely unrealistic expectations for employee performance
-a toxic "bro" culture with coworkers having zero idea of the concept of "boundaries"
-being told to talk to the person harassing you first, instead of instantly reporting it to management (including "just go on a date" with the person who's sexually harassing you)
-constantly having your job threatened and being treated like they're doing you a favor employing you in the first place
-petty office politics being taken to the extreme, to where you can't get basic equipment to do your job
-getting poo poo for taking sick days and other time off, because management's unrealistic expectations ended up leading to every work project being in "crunch time" mode every week

And so forth.

a while ago, when some unionization activity was in the news (I think it was the Amazon union stuff?), Linus + Luke got a WAN Show question about unions and whether they'd support one at LMG, etc, and their response wasn't completely awful but it was also pretty clear that neither of them were keen on it.

They did point out that a lot of the worker protections/etc that US workers are fighting for are established law in Canada and already apply to Canadian businesses, but then Linus was also like "I would hope that we run a good and open enough company that they wouldn't have to (unionize), and that if anybody had a problem that they feel comfortable enough talking to me or Luke or Yvonne."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ok Comboomer posted:

a while ago, when some unionization activity was in the news (I think it was the Amazon union stuff?), Linus + Luke got a WAN Show question about unions and whether they'd support one at LMG, etc, and their response wasn't completely awful but it was also pretty clear that neither of them were keen on it.

They did point out that a lot of the worker protections/etc that US workers are fighting for are established law in Canada and already apply to Canadian businesses, but then Linus was also like "I would hope that we run a good and open enough company that they wouldn't have to (unionize), and that if anybody had a problem that they feel comfortable enough talking to me or Luke or Yvonne."

Demonstrating he just doesn't understand what the point of a union is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, considering how Linus ACTUALLY treats his staff and what he expects them to do, gently caress it, unionize and stick it to that toilet bowl brush of a human being. How much unpaid labor has he gotten out of them thanks to his "Oh, we're all one big happy family here" attitude while at the same time grinding them down into bone meal?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Pretty sure the bigger situation is Madison at this point.

I mean, I would hope so, but like you know nerds and their commitment to ethics in games journalism

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mewse posted:

i keep thinking how madison was denied a purchase request for a $15 paper notebook and linus thinks he’s building a world class testing lab

yeah, because that lab is for him, he can’t afford to have employees spending his money on themselves!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The dude didn't even let people stream on twitch on their own loving time.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 19, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

My only hope is that Dan and Alex aren't assholes because I appreciate Alex's insane half-engineered ideas and Dan's absolute basedness.

I hope Anthony is ok/cool

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

She transitioned. She's Emily now

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaranVH/status/1692923529459900506

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Emily seems to be fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

She transitioned. She's Emily now

oh really? that's rad, great for her!

I wonder if that's why they brought in some nobody to do MacAddress (I don't mean it in like a discriminatory sense, but I assume she wasn't interested in headlining a channel while transitioning?)

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Branch Nvidian posted:

Emily seems to be fine.

And Emily has made some tweets to the effect that she will be refraining from speaking about the Madison situation publicly unless asked by Madison herself, to prevent any issues or conflicts with the ongoing investigation and her status as a current LMG employee.

She did also clarify that she is pushing for change in how the production process is handled, most likely about all the crunch that is the root of many issues on that side of things.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if that's why they brought in some nobody to do MacAddress (I don't mean it in like a discriminatory sense, but I assume she wasn't interested in headlining a channel while transitioning?)

mac address guy is good and has also been there while emily was still on camera

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

mac address guy is good and has also been there while emily was still on camera

yeah mac address guy is fine

mewse
May 2, 2006

What's 2/2?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

What's 2/2?

https://twitter.com/TaranVH/status/1692923667129450929?s=20

So that's 2 former lmg employees that's she spoken to about it around the time she left. I wonder if lmg is gonna be reaching out to others asking them to be quiet.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

She said in her coming out video (I’m paraphrasing so hopefully didn’t interpret wrong) that she didn’t want to possibly make trouble for the company which is why she was publicly absent. She had refrained from having anything deemed “political” on her social media (pre-transition) for this reason too.

Anthony had some of the best content on the channel though so one of the only things I’ll probably watch (apart from drama feeding myself) is whenever Emily shows up in a video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rio posted:

She said in her coming out video (I’m paraphrasing so hopefully didn’t interpret wrong) that she didn’t want to possibly make trouble for the company which is why she was publicly absent. She had refrained from having anything deemed “political” on her social media (pre-transition) for this reason too.

sucks that the gaming/tech space is so thoroughly poo poo that somebody has to think about their gender identity in terms of "making trouble" like that

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

It sounded like Yvonne is no longer HR and that it’s under Colton in the we hosed up video. And IT seemed to actually be becoming a thing under Luke.

So they’re getting their ducks in line but way later than they needed to.
Maybe, but she was still (head of) the HR department when it happened.

Randalor posted:

I mean, considering how Linus ACTUALLY treats his staff and what he expects them to do, gently caress it, unionize and stick it to that toilet bowl brush of a human being. How much unpaid labor has he gotten out of them thanks to his "Oh, we're all one big happy family here" attitude while at the same time grinding them down into bone meal?
They should absolutely unionize, just to spite him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok Comboomer posted:

sucks that the gaming/tech space is so thoroughly poo poo that somebody has to think about their gender identity in terms of "making trouble" like that

It sucks how many viewers Stephanie Sterling lost. The content is basically unchanged too she still goes as hard as ever!

The only legit complaint I could see people doing is if they’re not interested in the wrestling bits but I don’t mind those even.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
For those that couldn't place Terran from that tweet. He is another former LMG employee who had something like 4-5 keyboards with tons of shortcuts/macros for photo and video editing. This weird modular macropad-dial thing review video is one that I recall.

Oh, Jay talked about everything going on with LMG at the start of his podcast last night. He stayed away from the Maddison allegations (I suspect due to the possible legal issues, and he did state he simply did not know the people she worked with/for), but did pretty much fully agree with Steve's assessment. He did toss a massive bus on Linus though in what appeared to be an off-hand comment. He said he reached out to Billet Labs about working with them in the future, and said "They did respond to me. Obviously now they don't have anything to send me."

Koskun fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 19, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

To put in perspective just how important Taran speaking out about what Madison had said is: IIRC, he was one of the earliest LMG hires, if not one of the first, and he'd been with LMG for a very long time before leaving (E: I was informed it was actually around a year ago that he'd left, for some reason I thought it was earlier than that).

As I recall, during his goodbye party speech, he said that LMG was his first ever "real" job (he'd been working at a Subway franchise after graduating college, because he couldn't find a job in his field), and also said that he left to basically focus on doing his own thing. So basically, he'd apparently parted ways with LMG on good terms. If he's willing to corroborate Madison's story to the extent that he has, that's pretty telling.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 19, 2023

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Comatoast posted:

gently caress me for being reasonable and not jumping to conclusions. Are you guys all insiders that know stuff the rest of the internet doesn't?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lmao, "Requested by user" Odds that this was actually Linus?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lmao, "Requested by user" Odds that this was actually Linus?
That would be loving hilarious, but I don't think so based on the posting history.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Think Linus is a goon???????

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Not that reg dates are worth anything, but they decided to burn a 20-year-old account over this? WTF

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Huh, I thought they didn't do permas by request

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Think Linus is a goon???????
Comatoast has posted in the NAS thread and has posted about ZFS, which is more than Linus knows about.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Not that reg dates are worth anything, but they decided to burn a 20-year-old account over this? WTF
I can understanding requesting a ban+long probe, but a permaban?
Yeah that's a bit strange of a reaction.

Maybe they just burned out.

chaleski posted:

Huh, I thought they didn't do permas by request
It's fairly uncommon, but it does happen.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 19, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
~Burned out~ and requesting a perma instead of taking your L and just reflecting on why you get dunked on says a lot about someone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KakerMix posted:

~Burned out~ and requesting a perma instead of taking your L and just reflecting on why you get dunked on says a lot about someone.
That's a good point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

It sucks how many viewers Stephanie Sterling lost. The content is basically unchanged too she still goes as hard as ever!

I was literally thinking about JSS as I was posting

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

omg this lol

like what did that admin PM even look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

like what did that admin PM even look like

I hope it was "PLEASE BAN ME YOU BOOTLICKING THUGS" level funny.