Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We did it folks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fearful-covid-20-maui-business-owners-say-welcome-tourism-rcna100555

quote:

Fearful of 'Covid 2.0,' Maui business owners say they welcome tourism

The wildfires have sparked tension between grieving residents who say now is not the time to travel to the island and those who rely on tourism to survive.

The Covid response was just a test run, we’re free forever now from any pretense that life matters more then the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Having to pay for medicine do be a racket tho

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We did it folks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fearful-covid-20-maui-business-owners-say-welcome-tourism-rcna100555

The Covid response was just a test run, we’re free forever now from any pretense that life matters more then the economy

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two ranch-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Number.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

We did it folks

we could house thousands of displaced residents or rent out thousands of units of housing as airbnbs to tourists or residents at gently caress-you prices gee hmm i wonder what they will choose

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Spoondick posted:

we could house thousands of displaced residents or rent out thousands of units of housing as airbnbs to tourists or residents at gently caress-you prices gee hmm i wonder what they will choose

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!" - I chant while taking a massive dump on the board.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

make sure to wash ur hands too

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

mahler_biryani posted:

I know this is late but it’s funny to see oneself described as part of forum drama (I am reasonably sure this is about me).

I just wanted to say that I didn’t see it the same way. I accidentally found the thread after spending almost 3 years finding my own set of precautions. Unfortunately, I swallowed propaganda of outdoor being magically safe wholesale. I found the response to my queries very reasonable and helpful. And I totally understand doubting my sincerity given the trolling invasions I have seen since. It was truly crack pinging time for me. I couldn’t believe I had missed all the evidence of outdoor transmission. To be clear, I was blaming myself and my blindness to this evidence.

Having said the above, I have only made minor adjustments to my precautions. I am not at thread level precautions and I am comfortable with it, given the fact that I have a kid that goes to school (masked, but unmasks for eating outdoors). I am much more aware of when I am rolling the dice than I was before the aforementioned discussion, and this is a great thing.

Speaking of which, I did roll some outdoor transmission dice on this work trip and now I seem to be having a bout of not Covid, which I still suspect might be Covid. I have fever and cough for 3 days now. I have done 3 RATs 12 hours apart and then PCR test which took 24 hours, all negative. All tests were done after I became symptomatic. I wonder if I am having the pre-Covid that was discussed the last couple days. I do have a paxlovid stash but given this seems to be something else, I guess I won’t take it. This is only the second time I am having any kind of sickness since 2019. The last one really was a cold as it lasted only 2 days and was negative on PCR.

woah, I remember that little saga! Happy to see you're still lurking, covid thread lurkers gotta stick together imho

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday
lmao gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

Unsurprisingly, tourism has taken a hit since Aug. 8 when wildfires turned everything in its path to ash, forcing evacuees to jump into the ocean to escape the flames and leaving hundreds of friends and loved ones unaccounted for.

Airline passenger numbers to Maui fell 80% this week compared to the same time last year, according to the Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. It estimates Hawaii’s economy has lost some $8.5 million in sales revenue each day since the wildfires erupted on Maui and the Big Island.

The total economic damage and cost could total $7 billion, Moody’s Analytics said in an initial estimate, which called the price tag “astronomical” and suggestive of a "brief but severe local recession.”

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

joker laughing while reading that tweet

Apr 7, 2003

10,000 jobs lost to the fires

But state tourism officials warn that as many as 10,000 jobs have been lost as a direct result of the Maui wildfires. Visitor spending losses are estimated at $1.05 million a day, and household income loss is estimated to top $535,500 a day, according to the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

The Biden administration’s effort to provide free Covid-19 vaccines to the uninsured will not start at retail pharmacies until mid-October, weeks after the government plans to make an updated version of the shot available to the broader public.

The gap in timing, which comes as Covid hospitalizations have ticked up in recent weeks, means that millions of Americans without health coverage will not be able to immediately get a no-cost vaccine at popular places like CVS and Walgreens, even as it will be widely available for those who have insurance.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the delay in pharmacy availability, with spokesperson Kathleen Conley saying the government is still finalizing contracts with companies like CVS and Walgreens that will allow them to distribute the vaccines for free.

The CDC expects the updated vaccine rollout to begin the third or fourth week of September, she said. But the contracts with pharmacies will likely not be finished until mid-October.

The uninsured will instead need to go to federal health centers or individual providers for free vaccines during the first stage of the fall vaccination campaign. That adds a layer of complexity, public health officials warn, that could discourage people from getting the shot.

-

But with roughly a month to go before the vaccine rollout, CDC has yet to finalize the contracts. The agency maintains that it had always planned to begin free vaccine distribution in pharmacies in mid-October, even as the shot will be made available elsewhere earlier, due to the time it would take to reach formal agreements with the pharmacy chains. State health officials and public health experts planning for the on-the-ground campaign say they’ve gotten few specifics about how it will work or when they should expect more clarity.

“There’s just been a whole host of questions about how the pharmacy program’s going to work,” said Hannan. “A lot of those questions have been met with ‘we’re still working that out, we’re working on the contract.’”

more

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/17/covid-vaccine-rollout-pharmacies-uninsured-00111496

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh no, HAwaiian Number is sad

we'll have to do extra grift somewhere else in the country to make up for it! Si se puede!!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I made an iraqi beet stew with chicken kubbeh this week and have rarely been more powerful

hot drat that looks delicious

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Real Mean Queen posted:

Sure, but the second, third and fourth sentences are probably better because you build up immunity

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight
If we pushed it out of the US in the mid-20th century, surely we can all come together and get rid of it again :buddy:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

If we pushed it out of the US in the mid-20th century, surely we can all come together and get rid of it again :buddy:

DDT was a huge part of that effort and uh... turns out its not great for the ecosystem. Or human health..

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Calde posted:

woah, I remember that little saga!

Until hazcat’s post above, I didn’t realize it was much of a big deal for anyone except my own mind blown/crack ping moment. I suppose I am subject to main character syndrome.

quote:

Happy to see you're still lurking, covid thread lurkers gotta stick together imho

:cheers:

Well, since I am out of lurking mode for the moment, I’ll post an anecdote. I am visiting my company’s India office. Had an impromptu chat with a colleague that started with how is the weather small talk but proceeded into climate change doomerism (“I don’t know what it means when there is no water in 10 years”) and eventually to Covid. His mother is a recently retired doctor and has been telling him about the unprecedented rise in cardiac events. He mentioned that he is aware of cardiac events among his friends—“that’s not supposed to happen at 40”. It was as if I ran into thread regular IRL. Well, except for one thing…. no mask. When I pointed to my mask, he only connected it then (!) as he had thought I am just a white guy protecting myself from dirty Indian air :chloe: (True, air quality outdoors is not great but the office air seems to be filtered well enough).

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight
:nice:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Went to the mall and visited my favorite store,

And then ate at the food court

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tzen posted:

Went to the mall and visited my favorite store,

So you're saying the poo poo AQI from the forest fires caused by climate change may well save us from covid, because it'll force people to mask up in a socially acceptable way?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Oracle posted:

So you're saying the poo poo AQI from the forest fires caused by climate change may well save us from covid, because it'll force people to mask up in a socially acceptable way?

Like how masking for covid exterminated several flu strains?

Meh, I'll take it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

If mankind can wipe mosquitoes completely off the face of the earth then everything else will have been worth it

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
steriwave

quote:

Weekly nasal photodisinfection of 1,500 workers in a meat processing plant in Western Canada reduced infection rate to only 0.5% during a seven-month period (December 2020 to May 2021). During the same period, the provincial rate was 6.4%. This data indicates the infectivity rate of the treated population was reduced by 91.54%.

No serious side effects from the nasal photodisinfection (total of 21,459 treatments) were recorded.

Prior to the availability of vaccines, global meat processing plants were adversely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic due to close working conditions, with many Canadian meat processing plants experiencing severe disruption or closure.

Newly published research in the journal Public Health Practice shows that a weekly program of nasal photodisinfection implemented at a major Western Canada meat packing plant, alongside standard safety measures recommended by the US Centre for Diseases Control and Prevention (“CDC”), reduced the COVID-19 positivity rate by over 91% when compared to the reported provincial positivity rate over the same seven-month period.

https://ondinebio.com/photodisinfection-cuts-covid-in-meat-processing-plant/

quote:

aPDT involves the application of a topical photosensitizer inside the nose, which has a positive charge that preferentially binds to negatively-charged microorganisms. Two small nasal cones connected to a light source are then inserted into the nares (nostrils) to activate the photosensitizer using a specific wavelength of red light. During illumination, the excited photosensitizer reacts with nearby oxygen which generates reactive oxygen species (ROS) that destroy a broad spectrum of microbes including bacteria, viruses, and fungi. This treatment is painless and takes approximately 5 min to administer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666535223000393?via%3Dihub

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao here you go employee shove these glowing prosthetics up your nose

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Steve Yun posted:

a 1 in 1000 death rate…

if everyone in the us was vaccinated and got Covid, that would be 330,000 dead

The disease I have (though arguably under-diagnosed) is estimated to develop in 1 out of 2,000 people over their lifetime. So no thank you to those odds!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So Trump was actually right this entire time when he said we should bring lights in us??

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Give me the nose lasers.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zugzwang posted:

The inland northwest has been growing Artemisia for decades, we'll be fine. assuming it's not totally drug resistant already

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

The poors can have their shots if they want, but they have to wait for everyone else

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

10,000 jobs lost to the fires

But state tourism officials warn that as many as 10,000 jobs have been lost as a direct result of the Maui wildfires. Visitor spending losses are estimated at $1.05 million a day, and household income loss is estimated to top $535,500 a day, according to the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism.

Seems bad, perhaps we should reconsider lighting ourselves on fire every summer.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Went to Home Depot. While waiting in line, overheard an employee tell another employee how sick she felt and that she thought her fever was coming back. In the 2-3 minutes I was waiting before hearing that and noping to a far away register, she helped 2 or 3 couples who looked to be at least in their 70s with their purchases. Store was packed with grey hairs too, they love Home Depot in the morning.

Just normal things. Oh mighty 3M Aura, I call upon your blessings.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Currently no community spread of BA.2.86 aka Pirola detected in Austria’s wastewater from last week:

https://github.com/sars-cov-2-variants/lineage-proposals/issues/606#issuecomment-1684906753 posted:

Since there is some discussion about concealed spread due to lack of surveillance, I'd like to share here some negative results too. That is probably unusual, but maybe still helpful.

In the past Austria was often an "early adopter" of emerging VoC/VuM/VoI's, probably due to its role in tourism.
In Austria there is an elaborated wastewater variant surveillance system. From the days August 6th and August 7th, we analyzed together with the Medical University Innsbruck, 30 samples covering ~40% of the Austrian population.

From all the mutations identified to be characteristic of BA.2.86 (i.e., G21941T, C22916T, C22353A, C21711T, C28958A, G26529C, C23604G, A26610G, A22034G, C26833T, C897A, G3431T, T15756A, A22556G, C25207T, C22208T, A7842G, G11042T, T22896A, C24378T, T13339C) only two mutations are found in any sample, those are C26833T and C22208T. They are not found in the same catchment. Both mutations were previously found in other backgrounds.

From our previous assessment of sensitivity I can confidently say that these results indicate that there is no community transmission of BA.2.86 in Austria as of August 7. Even the presence of single individuals is unlikely in monitored catchments, even though it can not be strictly excluded, especially in the larger catchments.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

DominoKitten posted:

New BA.2.86 variant now has a nickname, Pirola:

https://twitter.com/TRyanGregory/status/1692545225019773101

Even strain nickname curmudgeon @JPWeiland supports it

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1692619712729944414

grifter Gregory still at it? I thought that coward had logged off

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

all this time we’ve been getting the fake Covid?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-caught-UK.html

please stop posting Daily Mail and related trash

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
my blood pressure has been pretty consistently high for a few months now, 130+ SBP in medical settings, so my cardiologist had me get a home monitor to do daily tests for a few weeks, using the "five minutes of quiet and rest before a test" protocol.

the first few times it was 140+ SBP over 80-85 DBP, which is pretty high. then i started drinking 6-8oz of beet juice in the morning and it's gone down to 120- SBP over ~80-82 DBP.

it's hard to control for everything of course — food, exercise, rest, time of day, and so on. i'm sure there are many factors. i'll probably try cycling back off it and see what happens. just figured i would mention it on the endothelial health front.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

We did it folks

lol loving front street "business owners." no, selling the equivalent of "mauified" thomas kinkade paintings to tourists, drawn by burnt-out hippies who moved here in the 70s and 80s, barely floated in 2019. even in the best of times, you broke even on your storefront's monthly rent and pretended like that constituted a successful business. no local would ever buy this garbage and you dumb asses have always been ticking time bombs. the fire just pushed your timetable up by a decade.

go back to north carolina with your tail between your legs

Tzen posted:

aeon food court is pretty good but cmon man surely there's some better local place right across the street that proudly advertises takeout. drat i miss japan sometimes.

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Petey posted:

my blood pressure has been pretty consistently high for a few months now, 130+ SBP in medical settings, so my cardiologist had me get a home monitor to do daily tests for a few weeks, using the "five minutes of quiet and rest before a test" protocol.

the first few times it was 140+ SBP over 80-85 DBP, which is pretty high. then i started drinking 6-8oz of beet juice in the morning and it's gone down to 120- SBP over ~80-82 DBP.

it's hard to control for everything of course — food, exercise, rest, time of day, and so on. i'm sure there are many factors. i'll probably try cycling back off it and see what happens. just figured i would mention it on the endothelial health front.
it's nice you can bring it down. I can't so i'm inhibiting my ACE2s with lisinopril with few side effects, good experience. if you have to take meds it's not so bad.