Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe Jadeveon Clowney will fully realize his potential in this, his 34 year in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Bip Roberts posted:

How many teams have cool, kind of rustic practice fields? I know the colts have one too.

About as rustic as you can get in Renton. Lake on one side, highway on the other.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

a neat cape posted:

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1692604453075955988

I am questioning why the Raiders beat writer is at Chargers camp

Carr is there with the Saints maybe?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maybe Jadeveon Clowney will fully realize his potential in this, his 34 year in the league.

He will

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Clowney's full potential was met and was very good for a bit. He got horrifically overhyped coming out because of one play and he was never a generational prospect. He was about as big as other DEs in the league while in college so it inflated his actual value. People going gaga over that forgot about Mario Williams and Julius Peppers, actual giant freak of natures.

His first two years in college were as a TFL machine, not a sack dude, even though he did get a bunch his sophomore year. His game was all about going up high and beating people with strength and length then having a decent disengage to wrap up running backs, which he did in his hype play against Michigan. He came into the league and tore up his knee his rookie season and never quite had the same burst, but the strength was still there. Like he was a legit pro bowler for three years because he was just a TFL machine. He just never was going to be some 15-20 sack guy, even if he was healthy. It wasn't his style.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
But what a loving play it was

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Strobe posted:

It would have been a top 10 play in the Suh vs Texas bowl.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Strobe posted:

Wasn't it right after a fourth down that was clearly short but called a 1st down

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Clowney's full potential was met and was very good for a bit.

See

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

a neat cape posted:

Wasn't it right after a fourth down that was clearly short but called a 1st down

Yeah

https://youtu.be/2JYx-_eXQa4

e: Vincent Smith, the guy who got popped, ended up starting an urban gardening non-profit after he failed to make a team in the NFL, so that’s kinda cool

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 18, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Freaquency posted:

Yeah

e: Vincent Smith, the guy who got popped, ended up starting an urban gardening non-profit after he failed to make a team in the NFL, so that’s kinda cool

Got tackled so hard he stopped working for profit drat

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
It seems that we have discovered a cure for capitalism. Make football mandatory.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Giants are going to throw it to Waller on every play until he gets hurt this season.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah it's gonna be great

He needs to be kept in a padded box somewhere until week 1 because he completely changes how the offense looks

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh
https://twitter.com/crispycarlton/status/1692683065129099761?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I see a pretty bad block in the back on that play, but Bijan goes for the TD if #12 engages his man instead of hesitating.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Late to bad QB chat, but Hackenberg is the worst QB I have seen live. And in a preseason game no less!

Freaquency posted:

Yeah

I could have made that tackle if I had been blocked the same way Clowney was.

Why no I'm not still bitter about that play.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 19, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

C-Euro posted:

Late to bad QB chat, but Hackenberg is the worst QB I have seen live. And in a preseason game no less!

I saw him play in college and same.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It will never stop being surprising that he was drafted at all, let alone in the 2nd. You only have to watch him play once to realize he doesn't have anything close to the bare minimum accuracy needed in the NFL. Like, he just could not throw the ball where he intended it to go, you can't fix that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1692630803950493696?s=20

Bill must be pissed

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sirtommygunn posted:

It will never stop being surprising that he was drafted at all, let alone in the 2nd. You only have to watch him play once to realize he doesn't have anything close to the bare minimum accuracy needed in the NFL. Like, he just could not throw the ball where he intended it to go, you can't fix that.

This is really Bill O'Brien's greats achievement making people think there could be something there, everything was that freshman year thinking he could put it together eventually. It's why I do not think BoB is a total fraud despite everything else he's ever done.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

he's a baller

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are joint practices just an excuse for a field trip or like when you got to watch Master And Commander in history class

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

indigi posted:

are joint practices just an excuse for a field trip or like when you got to watch Master And Commander in history class

seems like most coaches and teams use them as a bit of a break? give your guys a chance to battle someone else and evaluate against not the same dudes over and over again.

Except for andy reid who refuses on principal cause he's andy

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

Except for andy reid who refuses on principal cause he's andy

He used to do them I think, but maybe fights breaking out turned him off of them or something. Or more likely he just thought it was better to keep his cards to his chest and not show anything in semi-live action?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pretty sure Saleh was right that injuries and fights are a huge risk in joint practices and I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t participate in future years.

They make money though. There’s fan interest and they’re basically de facto preseason games when the starters sit out the actual preseason games.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've heard that Belichick (and thus probably his disciples) consider them as the most important part of the preseason for evaluation - more than the games since you can set up the exact situations you want to rep/check, and the intensity is better than the regular practices.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1692931487530729763?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints say it was a seizure.

https://twitter.com/ByLukeJohnson/status/1692941353838133702?s=20

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Uh huh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wandering in traffic is how I'd describe him on running plays

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kalli posted:

Wandering in traffic is how I'd describe him on running plays

Well he's never been accused of being a blocker, so he probably didn't see any issue.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

other than this thread, what's everyone's favorite way to get a no-bullshit news roundup on the last 24 hours of the NFL? preferably something that's phone friendly and not infested with ads everywhere. text based.

so no autoplay videos, no "opinion" pieces, no previews of upcoming things, etc. just like -- actual news and important happenings of the last day?

every site or app is so optimized for ads or engagement these days that I can't find a goddamn vanilla news site anymore

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1692942672393031972?t=i1BEV0wNIGm1nCMEycOxuA&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pmchem posted:

other than this thread, what's everyone's favorite way to get a no-bullshit news roundup on the last 24 hours of the NFL? preferably something that's phone friendly and not infested with ads everywhere. text based.

so no autoplay videos, no "opinion" pieces, no previews of upcoming things, etc. just like -- actual news and important happenings of the last day?

every site or app is so optimized for ads or engagement these days that I can't find a goddamn vanilla news site anymore

/r/nfl is honestly pretty decent, you can scroll through the first couple front pages and you'll be more or less caught up on any major news. (The comments are almost never worth reading.) I also have a subscription to The Athletic, which also sends out daily news-roundup emails.

That subscription expires soon, I'm not sure if I'll renew or not since I've noticed the coverage kinda declining in quality after the NYT acquired it. I was able to renew for like 12 bucks after that happened last fall, but I don't think they're offering it that cheap again.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

pmchem posted:

It has been rotoworld for me for like a decade but NBC finally corporate overlorded it into a total dumpster fire with no actual content. :rip: to an OG

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

pmchem posted:

not infested with ads everywhere. text based.

a newspaper?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Incitatus posted:

a newspaper?

that's pretty funny. I'd like to do it on my computer, so let's look at the biggest newspaper in the USA (NYTimes) and its dedicated sports site previously mentioned (The Athletic). I've circled actual current NFL news -- as opposed to opinion, analysis, stuff irrelevant to the season, etc. -- in red when you load up each site and look at it:

absolute shitshow

pmchem fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 19, 2023

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
oh, if you want to do it electronically, then yeah, there's probably not going to be much that fits that criteria. the internet has ruined reporting/journalism in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

It has been rotoworld for me for like a decade but NBC finally corporate overlorded it into a total dumpster fire with no actual content. :rip: to an OG

It’s loving garbage.