Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Petey posted:

my blood pressure has been pretty consistently high for a few months now, 130+ SBP in medical settings, so my cardiologist had me get a home monitor to do daily tests for a few weeks, using the "five minutes of quiet and rest before a test" protocol.

the first few times it was 140+ SBP over 80-85 DBP, which is pretty high. then i started drinking 6-8oz of beet juice in the morning and it's gone down to 120- SBP over ~80-82 DBP.

it's hard to control for everything of course — food, exercise, rest, time of day, and so on. i'm sure there are many factors. i'll probably try cycling back off it and see what happens. just figured i would mention it on the endothelial health front.

beets are very good for you! thats why everyone knows the various russian peoples, prodigious consumers of the beet, typically live such long and healthy lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

beets are very good for you! thats why everyone knows the various russian peoples, prodigious consumers of the beet, typically live such long and healthy lives

well yeah, beets are good for you, it's neoliberalism that'll kill ya

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

cnn posted:

Susan Myres knows to some people it may sound illogical to end marriages later in life, especially when death could be looming.
But as a divorce attorney in Houston with decades of experience, she’s heard plenty of reasons from older clients who are calling it quits.
“I had one client tell me, ‘I do not want to die next to that man – I’m out,’” Myres says, noting that differing perspectives on vaccines, masks and politics during the pandemic seems to have played a role in many recent cases that have come across her desk.

https://apple.news/A0Q9eWG9aQ86OYX_Sc5A_-A

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fur20 posted:

lol loving front street "business owners." no, selling the equivalent of "mauified" thomas kinkade paintings to tourists, drawn by burnt-out hippies who moved here in the 70s and 80s, barely floated in 2019. even in the best of times, you broke even on your storefront's monthly rent and pretended like that constituted a successful business. no local would ever buy this garbage and you dumb asses have always been ticking time bombs. the fire just pushed your timetable up by a decade.

I always wondered how these places stayed in business. The little stripmall style store parks around Kona on the Big Island are always like 70% vacant, 20% these crap art galleries, and 10% jamba juice.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Everything is vibes-based, most decision-making both personal and social is Wile E. Coyote refusing to look down while walking off the cliff. The economy, the insurance industry, public health, everything is in this delicate meta-stasis where a majority of people and policy-makers are wary of looking too closely lest they have to acknowledge anything bad is happening, and things are not quite yet bad enough for this to result in obvious and routine negative consequences for the most well-off, who can indeed afford or otherwise have access to personal doctors and paxlovid at market rates and improved ventilation.

Wachter repeatedly acknowledges real-world consequences and poo poo being hosed before immediately pivoting to 'and that's why no one should do anything about it, least of all me, a guy who has repeatedly gotten hosed over and hosed over people around me by failing to react to the situation'. I fully believe that this is an emotional defense mechanism, to not feel as though he was ever wrong or needs to feel bad so long as he can avoid acknowledging it. As has been repeatedly discussed in these threads, historically things have to become AMAZINGLY bad before socially-reinforced denial responses falter, unfortunately.

Terminology tango. 'Protected' and 'immune' have been interchangeably used in reference to the vaccines to an absurd degree, and it's sometimes hard to say exactly how people are misusing the terms when they do, as a result. Covid vaccination does provide SOME protective effects for at least four to six months for most people; I would personally say this is not enough to gently caress around with probable double-digit odds of long covid effects, much less the possibility of spreading a disease that could kill my loved ones, but that's largely excluded from most discussions of covid transmission at this point and it's treated as a wholly impersonal force of nature for which a person is not responsible even if they knowingly spread the disease in spite of having the privilege and resources and knowledge not to do so. Public health is a social problem, but it's abandonment and decrepitude also shouldn't be an excuse for willingly playing the role of Typhoid Mary.

i understand i am largely just performing a distorted echo function here to what you're already saying; why yes i am grouchy about the abandonment of public health and the disabled and immunocompromised why do you ask

Real Mean Queen posted:

My read with Wachter is that this stopped being practical and became ideological for him at some point. He’s like the old joke about how to survive a bear attack, you don’t need to outrun a bear, you just need to outrun your slowest camping buddy. Protected for him does not mean protected, it means more protected than the least protected person he can imagine. It doesn’t matter that his poo poo doesn’t work and it doesn’t matter that he knows that, because somebody else’s poo poo works even worse and he believes that this is graded on a curve. You can see this is a pretty popular mindset if you look at the booster numbers.

Good posts

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Look, people take one in a thousand risks all the time, and it’s fine. It’s comparable to driving a mere quarter of a million miles. Who doesn’t do that once or twice per year?

Maybe you don’t, but surely you go hang gliding ten times per month, right? No one would consider you a daredevil for doing that.

lol

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Toxic particles in the air? Consider wearing pants.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

inferis posted:

Susan Myres knows to some people it may sound illogical to end marriages later in life, especially when death could be looming.
But as a divorce attorney in Houston with decades of experience, she’s heard plenty of reasons from older clients who are calling it quits.
“I had one client tell me, ‘I do not want to die next to that man – I’m out,’” Myres says, noting that differing perspectives on vaccines, masks and politics during the pandemic seems to have played a role in many recent cases that have come across her desk.

Close the Covid thread, it is making boomers get divorced.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Um...

quote:

In an effort to mitigate the transmission and consequences of the disease among such workers and the community at large, aPDT was added to a well-established bundle of pre-existing pandemic safety measures (e.g., mask-wearing, testing, contact tracing, workplace-engineered barriers, increased paid sick leave).

quote:

Prior to and running concurrently with this intervention, the plant also proactively implemented multiple safety measures that became the standard within the food processing industry [2,5]. For example, beginning in March 2020, increased paid sick leave, additional outdoor break rooms, third-party cleaning teams to disinfect high-touch surfaces three times per shift (after each break), engineered barriers, testing, social distancing during breaks, and pre-shift temperature and health screening were implemented. Furthermore, during the same period, participants were encouraged to continue to maintain high compliance with all CDC-recommended safety measures through the use of reminders, internal education videos, and trained staff available to answer any questions or concerns.

quote:

Furthermore, while industry standard SARS CoV-2 safety measures were established prior to the introduction of aPDT, the impact of the additional nasal photodisinfection can only be associated with the outcomes. Also, while other food processing plants that did not deploy aPDT continued to experience outbreaks, a direct causal relationship associated with the addition of aPDT was not definitively concluded. Lastly, employees were aware they were being observed and were incentivized to adhere to all safety measures which could have increased compliance and led to the Hawthorne effect (participant observation awareness).

Yeah, I'm gonna file this under 'raised eyebrow.'

Oracle has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Aug 19, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/15v1q62/anybody_need_roughly_1500_bottles_of_hand/

a lol for the day

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Um...

Yeah, I'm gonna file this under 'raised eyebrow.'

shut up and put these cones in your nose

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"shut up and put these cones in your nose" - the covid thread

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Delta-Wye posted:

Someone please label the early 90s on a graph of Russian life expectancy “beet shortage”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Get the cones in your nose, Shinji

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

Slide deck on BA.X/BA.2.86/BA.6/Danish Variant/Frederiksen Variant/whatever you want to call it (from Bloom Lab):

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks to you and Pingui :buddy:

I agree that it's hard to know the situation atm given how little sequencing we're now doing. "Only" 4 sequences might be a lot in a low-surveillance scenario. I'm too tired to plot it now, but I think the rate of new submissions to GISAID has really gone off a cliff over the last few months. Not surprising at all when you consider the ending of the public health emergency etc etc

Bloom updated some of the info to include the new one from the UK.

https://slides.com/jbloom/new_2nd_gen_ba2_variant#/2

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunny Side Up posted:

Someone please label the early 90s on a graph of Russian life expectancy “beet shortage”

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/life-expectancy?country=~RUS

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I feel like there's a fairly broad spectrum of Americans who could be convinced that powerful disinfecting light inside their bodies will be effective, whether it's true or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Josh-Groban-Sidelined-From-SWEENEY-TODD-Due-To-Covid-20230818

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

They must have really run out of beets during the Russian Civil war.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
^^^^^

Oh lmao thank you forever hahaha

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wife has COVID, 1 year after getting it the first time. She’s fairly sick, she took a test yesterday and it was a negative test and she took a test today after she noticed she stopped being able to taste food.

Any tips on how to get her paxlovid?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Glumwheels posted:

My wife has COVID, 1 year after getting it the first time. She’s fairly sick, she took a test yesterday and it was a negative test and she took a test today after she noticed she stopped being able to taste food.

Check out the first post under the heading "telehealth sites that prescribe covid treatments".

Hopefully that sorts you out, if not just pop back into the thread for more help.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

adebisi lives posted:

They must have really run out of beets during the Russian Civil war.

Fortunately they managed to turn that around with the 1918 Treaty of Beets-Litovsk

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

Ugh I'm sorry.

It was so, so easy to get Paxlovid here:
https://sesamecare.com/medication/paxlovid

No lying of any kind required. An easy minute long phone call and we had a Paxlovid prescription called in before we were off the phone.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Phigs posted:

Check out the first post under the heading "telehealth sites that prescribe covid treatments".

Hopefully that sorts you out, if not just pop back into the thread for more help.

Thanks, does insurance cover this?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Ugh I'm sorry.

It was so, so easy to get Paxlovid here:
https://sesamecare.com/medication/paxlovid

No lying of any kind required. An easy minute long phone call and we had a Paxlovid prescription called in before we were off the phone.

Ty, I’ll check this out. Going to isolate her now from us now.

When it rains it pours, no clue how she got it. Kids were sick but they tested negative now I will test them again.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

you thought it was just a cold or something, but nope

it was-ah da Cov

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

It's free for now.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

(..)

The Paxlovid is free, but the telehealth itself usually costs money. Some states have arrangements with specific telehealth providers to make those free as well, but naturally the details depends on which state you are in.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

She managed to find a telehealth doctor through the state and got the prescription. Getting it filled now.

I’m so loving pissed. I’m testing negative, will test the kids again. Good thing I’ve been falling asleep on the couch the last two days.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

She managed to find a telehealth doctor through the state and got the prescription. Getting it filled now.

I’m so loving pissed. I’m testing negative, will test the kids again. Good thing I’ve been falling asleep on the couch the last two days.

It's not inevitable she will give it to you or the family. Masking, isolation and ventilation in the house can do a lot. If you're negative, it's worth the extra effort.

Also transmission between humans and their pets and vice versa is thought to be pretty common, so keep any dogs and cats away.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's not inevitable she will give it to you or the family. Masking, isolation and ventilation in the house can do a lot. If you're negative, it's worth the extra effort.

Also transmission between humans and their pets and vice versa is thought to be pretty common, so keep any dogs and cats away.

Yes I know, she put on a n95 and took a hepa filter to our bedroom to isolate. I have the other hepa outside the room and we just installed a new furnace with a/c and put in a hepa filter there too. We don’t have pets but we do have two little kids so it’s all on me now along with working too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Yes I know, she put on a n95 and took a hepa filter to our bedroom to isolate. I have the other hepa outside the room and we just installed a new furnace with a/c and put in a hepa filter there too. We don’t have pets but we do have two little kids so it’s all on me now along with working too.

That's good. Make sure she's either eating in her room or outside (if that's feasible). If you have access, get some Listerine Cool Mint (either alcohol or alcohol-free) for her to gargle with and some iota-carrageenan nasal spray (Betadine Cold Defence is the usual, though if you're not in Canada you probably won't get it in time to do much. There's also a kids version which is the same stuff just a smaller dosage).

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Oracle posted:

That's good. Make sure she's either eating in her room or outside (if that's feasible). If you have access, get some Listerine Cool Mint (either alcohol or alcohol-free) for her to gargle with and some iota-carrageenan nasal spray (Betadine Cold Defence is the usual, though if you're not in Canada you probably won't get it in time to do much. There's also a kids version which is the same stuff just a smaller dosage).

What’s the listerine for? How do I obtain that nose spray in the US?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Nothing really new to most people here, but here's a big Paxlovid thread with a bunch of handy links to give to difficult doctors / pharmacists.

https://twitter.com/findmeabluebird/status/1692975701752729635

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Go to the pharmacy and pick up a couple of nasal rinse squeeze bottles, a box of baking soda, and a couple gallons of distilled water.

Platystemon posted:

You need one cup of water, two hundred and forty millilitres. It’s important that this is sterile, and tap water is not sterile. Commercial distilled water is safe, and that is also true of water that has undergone reverse osmosis. Tap water or bottled water that is not distilled/RO can be rendered safe by heating it to a rolling boil.

Dissolve in this water one half teaspoon of table salt and one half teaspoon of baking soda. This is about two and a half and three grams of each, respectively. Use kosher salt or similar if you have it on hand, but if you don’t, iodine and anticaking agents will not hurt you. Don’t add the baking soda when the water is too hot. If it bubbles vigorously upon addition, it’s too hot.

You may be interested in knowing that the little spoon in most tableware sets is in not a teaspoon, but rather a dessert spoon. These are about twice as big as teaspoons.

When it’s time to put the water up your nose, anything between body temperature and room room temperature is fine. I like the cooler end of that range. Just don’t burn yourself with water that is too hot.

To administer this cup of sterile water + ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp baking soda, you want a squeeze bottle. These are about ten dollars at a drug store. Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS house brands are all of identical design.

These bottles may come with salt packets that probably have an appropriate amount of table salt in them, but you’ll need to supply the baking soda. Some brands have baking soda in the packet, but the quantity is negligible. Ignore it and add a half teaspoon from your baking supplies.

The lead author of the study that I’m about to cite thinks that the gravity feed of a neti pot makes them less effective than the gentle pressure of a squeeze bottle. Her study tested in half the participants a motorized Naväge unit that worked no better or worse than the simple squeeze bottle.

Here is the procedure explained in a video. One thing that is not obvious is that you may be subconsciously holding your breath, and you should not hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92qqAftUak

I don’t tilt my head forward nearly that much, but everyone has a different body.

You’ll want to do this twice per day. You can do it more often if it helps you with mucous.

Here is the journal article.

Here is a press release from the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University where the study was undertaken

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Aug 20, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm come again when you have masks in the venue!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

What’s the listerine for? How do I obtain that nose spray in the US?

It seems as if using listerine and/or a nasal spray increase your chances of not getting infected. That specific spray is hard to find in the US, but here's another one that's available on Amazon that a number of people here have gotten: https://www.amazon.com/Flo-Travel-Nasal-Spray-20mL/dp/B07KPRNYHZ/

Here's a big post from the last thread on the topic:

Phlag posted:

A good overview of the use of nasal sprays and mouth washes as they relate to COVID-19 is the Recommendation of the German Society of Hospital Hygiene (DGKH): Prevention of COVID-19 by virucidal gargling and virucidal nasal spray. They give an overview of the long history gargling and nasal sprays have in preventing respiratory diseases similar to COVID-19, as well as more modern studies looking specifically at their impact on SARS-CoV-2, and ultimately provide recommendations for the general population.

It's a pretty accessible read, but to really condense it: they believe there is evidence that certain types of mouth rinses and nasal sprays are effective in both preventing infection (pre and post exposure) and lessening severity/shortening of COVID-19 symptoms, and that these substances have no significant side effects. They basically recommend:
  • Gargling with mouthwash (with a PVP-iodine rinse, alcohol + essential oils (Listerine Cool Mint), or essential oils (Listerine Cool Mint Zero Alcohol)) for 15-30 seconds 3 times per day, as well as after any high risk exposure (a meal, family gathering, in-person meeting, etc.)
  • Nasal sprays (with PVP-iodine or iota carrageenan) 2 times per day, as well as after any high risk exposure
They did not review any research on NONS (Enovid-style) nasal sprays.

In the US, Betadine Antiseptic Medicated Gargle is an accessible PVP-iodine-based mouth rinse. The article also provides instructions on how to make your own. Listerine is obviously super cheap and even more accessible. They recommend Listerine Cool Mint specifically, but any mouthwash with alcohol and/or essential oils is probably fine.

I'm not aware of any PVP-iodine nasal sprays in the US. Flo Travel Spray has been mentioned in this thread a decent amount, and it's a pretty cheap iota carrageenan spray, and it's made by a reputable company.

Going beyond what's in the DGKH review, there are a few trials that tried to evaluate the true preventative effect of nasal sprays clinically. But they are all flawed and should be taken with a grain of salt:
Make no mistake: a well-fitted N95 or better mask is essentially 100% effective. Mouth washes and nasal sprays might get you around 60-80%. But if you have the money, I think they're worth doing both as preventative measures and to reduce symptom severity and duration after infection. Especially as more reasonably intelligent and risk-averse folks in this thread seem to be at a point where they are going to participate in some occasional unmasked activities, or live with people who will.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1692888863746801685
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-treating-kids-as-invulnerable-is-treating-them-as-disposable

I'm kind of shocked something like this got into a newspaper.