Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

MillennialVulcan posted:

It is loving astonishing how consistently Beverly will tell anyone in the crew "Something's wrong" and they immediately believe her, every goddamn time and she's right every goddamn time. She is the most confident woman in Trek, even Janeway's like "Am I doing the right thing, Chakotay??" once in a while and Bev's like "Fly this ship into the sun, we've a heat shield that Ferengi told me would work once"

Meanwhile, Worf goes "Suggest arming photon torpedoes!" for the hundredth time and Picard's just, "No, no, you loving dummy, shut up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MuddyFunster posted:

Meanwhile, Worf goes "Suggest arming photon torpedoes!" for the hundredth time and Picard's just, "No, no, you loving dummy, shut up."

Kirk in the Corbomite Maneuver has a great moment like this with Bailey. He says that it's time for action, and Bailey is all, "Arming phaser banks!" and Kirk just rolls his eyes and tells him to shut the gently caress up with that. Action doesn't always mean pew pew lasers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Once you've seen The Menagerie, you've seen everything you really need to of The Cage. There are a few scenes that were cut for time but none of them really matter. Check it out if you're in a 100%-completionist mood; otherwise, skip it.
Does The Menagerie include the line where Spock shouts "The women!" with really weird delivery? That's the single part from The Cage that sticks with me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLNfO19r20

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is there a set plan for SNW anywhere? I'm curious to see how much everything has been scaled up compared to the TOS sets.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

It is loving astonishing how consistently Beverly will tell anyone in the crew "Something's wrong" and they immediately believe her, every goddamn time and she's right every goddamn time. She is the most confident woman in Trek, even Janeway's like "Am I doing the right thing, Chakotay??" once in a while and Bev's like "Fly this ship into the sun, we've a heat shield that Ferengi told me would work once"

I've seen people on these very forums say she's boring or underdeveloped or whatever and I'm always astonished because she's incredibly sure of herself and she's incredibly consistent in following her conscience to the point where she seems to care little for regulations or her own career. She's great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bev's episodes are some of the best, it's a drat tragedy she didn't have many. She was a doctor, coroner, investigator, dancer, karate master...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Bev rules and is possibly the most highly evolved human on the show

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dagger of the Mind is a more effective horror episode than Man Trap. That mind draining contraption is Orwellian.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

[*]I guess Quark has an alright deal. He's very bitter because he's a devout Ferengi fundamentalist, and his brother is an apostate off to reform Ferenginar, but Quark has always been a survivor and a schemer, and this is no different from him being bitter about his cousin owning a moon.[/list]

He starts Space McDonalds (well, maybe Wetherspoons), canonically he does just fine v0v

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Payndz posted:

Is there a set plan for SNW anywhere? I'm curious to see how much everything has been scaled up compared to the TOS sets.

The set plan is “use The Volume all da way baybeeeee” because Discoverse ships are infinite and unknowable on the inside.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Come on, they really only use the Volume for engineering (which looks like crap). The bridge, ready room, captain's suspiciously large quarters, corridors, sickbay, transporter room, they're all real sets.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
what's The Volume?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Arivia posted:

what's The Volume?

The big wraparound LED screen they use where TOS would use painted backdrops and TNG would use Cave Set #1 or Cave Set #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFVO9UlAiA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Come on, they really only use the Volume for engineering (which looks like crap).

And the cargo bay. They'll probably use it for the shuttlebay at some point too.

Arivia posted:

what's The Volume?

The giant background in engineering is a huge video screen. The background is a 3D model in unreal game engine and there's a location tracker on the camera so the perspective being projected on the screen is an exact match for what should be seen from that point of view and it updates in real time as the camera moves around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 20, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh, crazy. I knew they had something like that for the Mandalorian, but not for the new Star Trek series. Neat but also lovely.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kinda love how engineering and cargo bay establish the Enterprise’s secondary hull being mostly a hollow tube staring at the inside of the deflector dish.

I know they scaled up the Enterprise in Discovery only so that it didn’t look puny next to the Disco, but I swear they’ve been subtly shrinking it back down a bit. It’s still a big ship, but the Turbolift Dimension hasn’t appeared at all and they seem to be at least trying to have the sets grounded in some logical manner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

Oh, crazy. I knew they had something like that for the Mandalorian, but not for the new Star Trek series. Neat but also lovely.

It's the same company providing it to both. Next big thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, it's a really good tool. It allows them to capture more sfx shots in camera with proper lighting.

It can just be abused like any other new tool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's a really good tool. It allows them to capture more sfx shots in camera with proper lighting.

It can just be abused like any other new tool.

It also just looks really fake in a way "Planet Hell" (the old Star Trek cave set) didn't. The same technology had the same problems in the Mandalorian.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like the sometimes uncanny-ness though. One of my favorite shots in the series is them walking to the crashed ship on the Gorn Ice Planet. It looks like a painted backdrop in the best way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it can give very TOS vibes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

It's usually just replacing the matte painting for whatever planet they're beaming down on. It's a good use of it, in keeping with the vague "we're staging a play" sense that a lot of TOS and TNG/DS9/Voyager have.

They also use it a lot less successfully to replace the mini-sets they built for whenever they hail someone and they show up on the viewscreen. There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

Some of the Star Wars shows (the non-Andor ones) are a lot more ambitious with their use of it, and it looks like absolute poo poo there. After a while you start noticing that actors are always standing very close together inside a void, and all the detail is far in the background.
https://twitter.com/StarWars0nly/status/1692552165145882884

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's usually just replacing the matte painting for whatever planet they're beaming down on. It's a good use of it, in keeping with the vague "we're staging a play" sense that a lot of TOS and TNG/DS9/Voyager have.

They also use it a lot less successfully to replace the mini-sets they built for whenever they hail someone and they show up on the viewscreen. There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

Some of the Star Wars shows (the non-Andor ones) are a lot more ambitious with their use of it, and it looks like absolute poo poo there. After a while you start noticing that actors are always standing very close together inside a void, and all the detail is far in the background.
https://twitter.com/StarWars0nly/status/1692552165145882884

yeah that's what stuck out to me as bad uses - engineering on the Enterprise, and then Lizzo and Jack Black in the Mandalorian. But they probably used it for the planet backdrop around the time portal Boimler and Mariner came through, and that was pretty alright.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Volume is more like an animated matte painting than a true set replacement.

e;fb

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Batman used it too. I think they used it fairly well there.

It looked really good in season one of Mandolorian. Other than those, I think it mostly looks like poo poo. As someone said, it's just another tool for filmmakers. It's up to them to use it properly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm so far pretty forgiving on the Volume because it's pretty new and people are still figuring it out. Mostly what I want to see is an endless blooper reel of sweeping camera movements making all the actors get dizzy and fall over!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The main issue with the volume is because it's a fairly costly technology, once you have it you use it for everything you possibly can. It eventually becomes noticeable how much of a volume show is occurring in a small circular area. And size isn't the only limitation, it's just the most obvious one; for example, you can't do anything that risks damage to the screens, since they are worth more than you are.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 20, 2023

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
It looked great in the Mandalorian when they were shooting characters standing in large open areas and massive vistas, and it also worked in action scenes where the limits of the Unreal Engine were hidden by the camera movement and the benefits of having actual real light from the scene reflecting on people was a net gain.

It doesn't look as good as a meticulously crafted Hollywood CGI scene, but even most Hollywood budgeted CGI films don't actually manage to pull that off convincingly and the one's that do largely accomplish it by burning hundreds of artists out for gently caress all money. I think it certainly usually looks better than a most TV level SFX. Still, I think even BGS 20 years ago looked better with its combination of physical sets and green screen set extensions and them shooting within those limitations. I don't know why they didn't go with that for sets like Engineering or Starbase One.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Still, I think even BGS 20 years ago looked better with its combination of physical sets and green screen set extensions and them shooting within those limitations. I don't know why they didn't go with that for sets like Engineering or Starbase One.

BSG's hanger bay worked so well by having the actual physical set be loving enormous as well as the green screen set extensions. They might be able to pull something like that off for engineering but definitely not for the incidental sets like Starbase One or the cargo bay: the set extensions would be a lot closer and less convincing and probably pretty similar in effectiveness to the Volume.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 20, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mando also had real sets combined with the volume, so you could have characters walk behind pillars etc

Honestly the Fighting Game Aesthetic with tiny flat interactable area and crazy poo poo in the background started before they started using the Volume, when they were greenscreening in everything around the actors

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To me, the Volume's only really been noticeable on SNW a couple of times, mainly when they're in a big open cavern space with a conspicuously flat floor like the music comet or the space gas customer service waiting room. Like, yeah, you can always instantly tell whenever anything's a Volume set, but they always do just enough to disguise it with physical set pieces like in Engineering or props like the tinnitus dementia snow planet or the time portal planet so it's not distracting.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I miss the styrofoam cave set

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I don't know why they didn't go with that for sets like Engineering or Starbase One.

Because it would require them to composite the extension in post. Using 'The Volume' streamlines the post production process since it is all in camera.

That's the big advantage here. They can just shoot. Whatever angle, whatever take, the effects are just there with the proper parallax. You can edit down to the last minute knowing you don't have to fill in the background. You also don't have to worry that the take you decided to use doesn't have the proper parallax background to fill in, requiring more work.

It also eliminates blue-spill (or green-spill) and that's really important. That affects things like costuming (you can't have this shiny bit on the costume since it will reflect the matte color, requiring correction in post) or even action choreography (You can't have this sword fight from this perspective because the weapons would reflect the green screen.)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Knormal posted:

Does The Menagerie include the line where Spock shouts "The women!" with really weird delivery? That's the single part from The Cage that sticks with me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLNfO19r20

Spock still got that Sarek in him

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

I think that's supposed to be the neck of the ship. Kinda dumb that there's no door back there, but an interesting interpretation.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The back of a Klingon bridge is just another big viewscreen so they can have whatever they want in the background of their music video communications. A boy band dance routine should have a big empty weird place with flashy lights. Captain One Eye knew what he was doing, I read the liner notes, he wrote the lyrics, that's his baby.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the captain's chair moved back in that part, maybe it can run the entire length of the neck. I mean, wouldn't you do that if you were captain?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boxturret posted:

the captain's chair moved back in that part, maybe it can run the entire length of the neck. I mean, wouldn't you do that if you were captain?

now i'm just imagining garibaldi and lennier riding the chair down the neck going wheeeeeeeeee in some absurd crossover

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like poor ship design to have your business end at the end of a long tube from your engineering section, but I guess when I look at it that way it actually makes sense. Kind of approaching the same implicit reason behind nacelle/saucer from a different perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

It seems like poor ship design to have your business end at the end of a long tube from your engineering section, but I guess when I look at it that way it actually makes sense. Kind of approaching the same implicit reason behind nacelle/saucer from a different perspective.

It's a power move. You have the transporter room in the back of the ship and the bridge all the way up at the front so when you have guests or prisoners beamed aboard, they have to walk the entire length of the neck up to the bridge so not only does it put them in their place, but it gives the needed amount of time for proper apprehension of you to build as they walk. It's the most Klingon of design specialties.