Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh, consider: c++ is a weird mess.

that’s why you use c# instead of inventing your own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

google makes dart. but it’s more like fart

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Votskomit posted:

I got laid off in May. Company folded overnight with no warning.

What interesting times we live in.

i miss the paychecks but to be honest programming android can be a real slog. it's ok for most projects but ive been put on a few that are such loving messes I can't believe they exist at all

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Jonathan Blows. haha!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

auteur solo game devs are definitely known for making clean reusable code and having super correct opinions about technology

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

i miss the paychecks but to be honest programming android can be a real slog. it's ok for most projects but ive been put on a few that are such loving messes I can't believe they exist at all

My career has basically been:
- inherit horrible codebase
- fix the mess over a year or two
- code is finally halfway decent (but not great, I'm not delusional)
- conditions at company worsen and/or people get retrenched
- I get a job elsewhere
- repeat for a decade

It's genuinely satisfying to improve horrible codebases tbh.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

akadajet posted:

google makes dart. but it’s more like fart

remember when dart was supposed to replace js? a decade later and it's only used for flutter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Votskomit posted:

It's genuinely satisfying to improve horrible codebases tbh.

thats because you're a butt-fuckable bitch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

thats because you're a butt-fuckable bitch

:xd:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

'You're Telling Me in 2023, You Still Have a 'Droid?' Why Teens Hate Android Phones

DEB HARRISON lives in a house divided. The mom of teenagers, based in Hudson Valley, N.Y., says her children agree on a lot, but they cannot seem to get on the same page about their cellphones. Her youngest, Kira, 15 years old, has an Apple iPhone 11, because that’s what all her friends have. She didn’t want to be “the odd one out,” said Harrison.

Her stepson, Justice, 16, opted for the Motorola One 5G UW, which uses the Android operating system made by Google. He knew his choice was controversial, but that’s exactly why it appealed, said Harrison. “His friends that have iPhones will make fun of him for not having one,” she said, but he apparently doesn’t mind the attention.

Where does this operating-system snobbery come from? Melissa Jones, a former teacher in Lebanon, Ind., observes that, among students, it’s considered most important to own a new, up-to-date phone. And judging by the copious TikTok content that pits users of the two operating systems against each other—with Android most frequently the butt of the joke—many teens associate Androids with older technology, and older people, no matter how new the phone actually is.

“You’re telling me in 2023, you still have a ’Droid?” says 20-year-old online creator Abdoul Chamberlain during a video posted in April. “You gotta be at least 50 years old.” The video goes on to say that only parents have Androids, and despite the persistent claims from Android users that features like the cameras or battery life are better on the Android than the iPhone, Chamberlain refuses to get one.

Other videos more somberly describe the experience of showing up to high school with an Android phone and being called “broke” or “medieval” by the poster’s peers. Still more describe the feeling of being the lone Android user in a group chat of iPhone owners, shamed by texts which, when rendered in Apple’s proprietary iMessage platform, appear in a revelatory bright green rather than the cool blue of messages sent between Apple devices.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the one hand, lol at teenagers basing their self-worth off consumer choices

on the other hand, lol android

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the only time I’ve seen an audience that was majority android on tv is wwe smack down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i suspect it’s because if they’re in all blue group chats then androids will legitimately break it and make it harder to do things like share pictures

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tim Apple would rather have a world where many teenagers are bullied for their phone choice but apple profits are .1% higher than release an iMessage/facetime android app

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too would prefer to live in a world where imessage continues to work rather than being hobbled for compatibility with the vagaries of android

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

tim Apple would rather have a world where many teenagers are bullied for their phone choice but apple profits are .1% higher than release an iMessage/facetime android app

teenagers will ostracize for anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i too would prefer to live in a world where imessage continues to work rather than being hobbled for compatibility with the vagaries of android

the only reason there are vagaries in the first place is because of the sms fallback that apple themselves supports

if they released an imessage app for android they could remove the sms support entirely and everything would just work

but,

Jenny Agutter posted:

tim Apple would rather have a world where many teenagers are bullied for their phone choice but apple profits are .1% higher

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alternately the first-world iphone snobs could get on the same page as the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp, the people's messaging system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or, not. imessage is fine

it is the androids that are wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

whatsapp has more than twice as many active users as imessage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather not have to interact with any mush-brained ios users so this works for me too

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the kids are right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

whatsapp has more than twice as many active users as imessage.

okay?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

the kids are right

consider: you're taking the side of 15 year old girls (primarily), the cruelest people there are

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the one hand, lol at teenagers basing their self-worth off consumer choices

on the other hand, lol android

on a third hand, lol at a journalist (i assume?) thinking that something relatable and representative is being described, rather than just looking at what some rich/spoiled teenagers think about things. guaranteed android leads in market share among teens for obvious reasons.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my mom uses whatapp to call me internationally because it’s more intuitive for her than trying to make a FaceTime audio call

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my mom told me today that “google” on her anroid mixed up the contacts for my sister and me. genuinely unclear whether oldbrains or android was the real culprit

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

alternately the first-world iphone snobs could get on the same page as the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp, the people's messaging system.

you should not, under any circumstances, suggest using a facebook product

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

or, not. imessage is fine

it is the androids that are wrong

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lysidas posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

drat all the trillions of dollars Apple has couldn’t make an app work as well as the nonprofit signal messenger corporation? what the hell are they doing over there?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lysidas posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
green bubble stigma is the punishment for buying a bad phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

consider: you're taking the side of 15 year old girls (primarily), the cruelest people there are

the apex predators of the social world

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

playing a movie soundtrack on YouTube music iOS app. swipe up to see the playlist. music pauses and a message appears telling me the mini player is not supported for content for children. I loving hate that the youtube team took over music streaming at google

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

playing a movie soundtrack on YouTube music iOS app. swipe up to see the playlist. music pauses and a message appears telling me the mini player is not supported for content for children. I loving hate that the youtube team took over music streaming at google

lmao owned

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

one thing that I will give Google credit for is that it's the best way to subscribe to stuff like the nyt. automatic notifications when your introductory pricing offer is ending, and no bullshit required to cancel the sub, just a couple of easy to find clicks

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

android phones are good if you are poor or semi-poor, and only last year I was able to actually buy my somsung a53 without a 3-year contract and paying my operator in installments

but due to socio-commercial pressure I need to agree with todays teens, android "phones" are loving cringe tbh and people who own them should unalive themselves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

laserghost posted:

android phones are good if you are poor or semi-poor, and only last year I was able to actually buy my somsung a53 without a 3-year contract and paying my operator in installments

but due to socio-commercial pressure I need to agree with todays teens, android "phones" are loving cringe tbh and people who own them should unalive themselves

they aren’t even a good deal if you’re poor because last gen iPhones are so cheap