Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Atreus is autistic, Kratos knows that but he doesn't know how to deal with it because he never met another person like Atreus, that's why they have so many "silly" fights (which for Atreus are not silly) ... but Kratos definitely does his best to be a good father and always help his son !! Kratos is also autistic but he doesn't know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lostconfused posted:

Pretty easy, you can just burst it down in a turn without letting it do any BS. I think I reloaded that fight only once, maybe twice.

That was the underdark one for me anyway, I didn't do the earlier one, which definitely would have been more of a challenge.

I've been trying to catch the underdark one in a way that doesn't result in some bullshit but I haven' been successful. I think I'm gonna make my party or a scout invisible, feather fall down then see if I can trigger combat without a surprise round.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a.lo posted:

Atreus is autistic, Kratos knows that but he doesn't know how to deal with it because he never met another person like Atreus, that's why they have so many "silly" fights (which for Atreus are not silly) ... but Kratos definitely does his best to be a good father and always help his son !! Kratos is also autistic but he doesn't know it

Many people are saying this

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I killed an ancient hag with a Roman candle.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

I killed an ancient hag with a Roman candle.

that's neat, have you played any video games recently?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm starting to keep candles and jugs of water and poo poo in my inventory just in case but haven't used them in battle yet. what else is dippable besides fire? the environment is so versatile

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the spectator fight doesn't trigger if you're hiding, hide your whole party in corners of the area and then just unhide one, only they'll get surprised

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was having some problems with the magma mephit fight in grym (they are nasty, there's like 12 of them and they explode when they die) so i feather falled karlach down then unloaded on them with arrows from the top of the cliff even they swarmed her, it was hilarious, karlach was basically ash by the end of it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

I'm starting to keep candles and jugs of water and poo poo in my inventory just in case but haven't used them in battle yet. what else is dippable besides fire? the environment is so versatile

there are way more things you can just toss if you don't need them, so far things i thought might have a bit of flavor attached don't really, and things that are important either advertise it flagrantly or don't show up in your barter window. if they don't have actions associated with it its a good indicator you can sell it as well, books after reading, no issues it seems. i even got halsin's pipe from somewhere and couldn't give it back to him :(

as far as water and fire go, there are uses but you probably have better ways than a candle, like that little cantrip that does 1d8 fire as bonus action or w/e. water is trickier to come by, but less useful, a few burning things, but that's about it so far. keep an eye out for hinged braziers and poo poo in battle, or bridges NPCs stand on but be prepared to be generally underwhelmed by the results. you get way better bang for your buck throwing out your own smokepowder barrels

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm thinking on my evil playthrough I might just do an all hireling party so I don't have to interact with the companion stories at all. Can you respec them into anything you want at Withers? It seems kind of dumb you can't just roll a custom party.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i have 2 quests that seem to be done in the underdark but i feel like i explored both sections pretty thoroughly, very concerning

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm thinking on my evil playthrough I might just do an all hireling party so I don't have to interact with the companion stories at all. Can you respec them into anything you want at Withers? It seems kind of dumb you can't just roll a custom party.

you could do what another goon did and run 4 instances of the game start a multiplayer game and make all the characters yourself.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zokari posted:

i have 2 quests that seem to be done in the underdark but i feel like i explored both sections pretty thoroughly, very concerning

Time to use the godlike power of looking it up on the internet.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol forgot that I never finished gow2 or that it existed

Lol same with hzd2

Sony has fallen

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've bounced off Doom Eternal three times but want to play it properly now having listened to some of the soundtrack on YouTube. Between this and Prey Mick Gordon is the most exciting composer in games today.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lol same with hzd2

Sony has fallen

they did fall out of popular lexicon very very quickly, and barely hit with a mediocre splash when it was launched

personally i'm interested, but not enough to buy a PS5. i'll pirate em wwhen they inevitably come out on PC, along with hopefully ghosts of tunishima

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lol same with hzd2

Sony has fallen

GoW2 ruled. unlike GoW2 that sucked.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the Heimdal figt would have been cool if he slowly realized he's not actually fighting Kratos, but that he's mindreading that Kratos calculating and recalculating every fight until he wins

like Heimdal kills you effortlessly, you reload, and next time he gets slower, starts wondering whats up, reload, until he straight up panics and wants to get out of Kratos' brain

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the Heimdal figt would have been cool if he slowly realized he's not actually fighting Kratos, but that he's mindreading that Kratos calculating and recalculating every fight until he wins

like Heimdal kills you effortlessly, you reload, and next time he gets slower, starts wondering whats up, reload, until he straight up panics and wants to get out of Kratos' brain

Sorry, the guy in charge of min-maxing engagement told me that's too confusing for the world's stupidest streamer to figure out

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

snoremac posted:

I've bounced off Doom Eternal three times but want to play it properly now having listened to some of the soundtrack on YouTube. Between this and Prey Mick Gordon is the most exciting composer in games today.

I just played Prey last week. It’s good. Best in the immersive sim genre imo. Not a flawless game though.

Either way if you like your Deus Exes or System Shocks you oughta play Prey.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Have you come across a spectator?

yep. i think i got to it a bit higher than expected and got fat rolls though. it lasted 2-3 rounds? it was very short.

Orange Devil posted:

I just played Prey last week. It’s good. Best in the immersive sim genre imo. Not a flawless game though.

:hai::hai::hai:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that's a wrap on Sniper Elite 3, I've just completed the eighth and final mission of the single-player campaign, though completionists can still pursue collectibles and harder difficulties are available. It took me just under 12 hours, according to Steam.

some concluding thoughts:

there's a very specific loop, or one might say trick, to the gameplay: if you shoot a Nazi right out in the open, where it can be heard by others, it puts everyone on an alert status, and the game's UI tells you that you have to move away from the spot you shot the enemy from, usually around 25-35 meters. if you never leave that zone, and you shoot someone else, the alert will escalate into them actively hunting you, and then zeroing-in on your position and actively hunting you.

if you do move away by the required 30 meters, the alert status eventually goes down and everyone goes back to their default, un-alert status.

you can use things like sound-masking, or picking off isolated soldiers, or making silenced shots with your Welrod pistol, or making silent melee takedowns, in order to eliminate troops without even raising the alert level at all, but you can ignore a lot of that in favor of simply going back and forth 30 meters between shots

if you have enough of a cleared section of the map, you can shoot at someone, walk away until the game tells you that you've moved far enough, walk back, shoot someone else, walk away again, come back, and over and over until you've cleared-out the map

the only time this model of behavior gets put into jeopardy is if you don't have enough room to do the 30-meter shuffle, which is usually at the very beginning of a mission, or if you, for whatever reason, shoot a second target before you've completed the relocation, because then you have to move another 30 meters from where you took this second shot

otherwise, you can complete the mission in relative safety this way

and I don't say this necessarily as a criticism of the game - it does make you feel very powerful and clever to just pick off an entire army by yourself, as the stereotypical sniper is portrayed in pop culture narratives.

in the middle of writing this post, I went back and re-did the first mission on the "Sniper Elite" difficulty, the third out of five difficulty levels, just to check myself that you could still do this, and sure enough, you still can. The soldiers are much faster to go from unalert to alert to attacking, which can demand some more creativity in setting up shots, but the gameplay remains largely the same

as I was playing on this difficulty, I did also find a feature that elevates Sniper Elite from "pretty good" to "excellent" status.

you see, I completed the game on the easiest difficulty, where bullet physics are turned off - if the enemy's forehead is in your crosshairs, it will hit dead-on, every single time. When you climb up the difficulty levels, you have to start accounting for things like bullet drop and windage. The kicker is that the game's Hold Breath mechanic will also activate a secondary reticle which does all of that for you, but only if you have Hold Breath turned on

whereas every other shooter with a sniper rifle and "realistic" physics will both ask you to deal with gravity and muzzle velocity without giving you real-world tools to help, Sniper Elite is willing to abstract-away all of that, but only within the framework of a shot that's calm enough to let you take your sweet time to do it. Which is such a fantastic way to have your cake and eat it too.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
what was your longest and most memorable ball shot?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

what was your longest and most memorable ball shot?

it was at 120 meters and almost completely by accident - my first shot Incapacitated the target, and so he fell down on the ground, and I flinched and shot again, this time getting him right between the legs

(SE3 does not actually recognize shots to the balls per se, the game records it as an "Intestine Shot"; you have to wait for SE4 and 5 for "Testicle Shots" to be officially recorded as such)

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

wild how loving pathetic games posters are. actually mad at this fun hating probe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bitmap posted:

wild how loving pathetic games posters are. actually mad at this fun hating probe.

i'm puzzled by thtat thread because that's a funny post

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was at 120 meters and almost completely by accident - my first shot Incapacitated the target, and so he fell down on the ground, and I flinched and shot again, this time getting him right between the legs

(SE3 does not actually recognize shots to the balls per se, the game records it as an "Intestine Shot"; you have to wait for SE4 and 5 for "Testicle Shots" to be officially recorded as such)

The best are getting a nut shot on the super-long shots that are peppered in the games. Like in this game, on the air strip level, if you go to the opposite end of the runway from where you start, climb the guard tower, you can see all the way down the length of the runway. Way off in the distance in the dunes past the airstrip is a lone guard, who you can snipe for an achievement and bonus points. Usually you need the gun with the best optics and furthest reach to even have a chance of hitting these guys. SE5 has a shot that even with the best optics and farthest shooting gun, the target is still basically 2 pixels tall through the scope.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sebmojo posted:

i'm puzzled by thtat thread because that's a funny post

It's cus they vehemently disagree with the politics (left = good, fascism = bad) expressed in that post, OP.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lol they gave the SF6 politics guy a week

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

lol they gave the SF6 politics guy a week

you’re next

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

rip SlimGoodbody the good die young.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lumpentroll posted:

you’re next

First they came for SF6 politics, and I did not speak out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

free slimboy

lol at how mad and bad games posters are

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hadn't realized that "politics" post in games caused a 4 page derail and that is why slim received a week.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bitmap posted:

The post wanst any comedy masterpiece but really wanst that bad either. Some hits, some misses

Weird probe

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its like covid hermits but for milquetoast politics joke post lol. theyve got cspam ptsd

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A week is ridiculous but seeing some superstars in that thread and knowing how easily bullied games mods are,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

The post wanst any comedy masterpiece but really wanst that bad either. Some hits, some misses

Weird probe

yea if nothing else it wasn't boring white noise posting, I'm sure it's better than most of the posts in that thread by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

theyve got cspam ptsd

its exactly this lol