Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The morning news is telling me that malaria is just the flu, mild, and probably endemic so don't worry about it. But also take prophylaxis drugs if you're traveling to an area with endemic malaria, which :dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Harik posted:

The schoolyear started with a bang.
gently caress, sorry goon :(. We parents and our families are in an impossible situation.

Insanite posted:

e: we didn’t get covid during the delivery of kid 2. this is in spite of half of the personnel around us having coughs. Ty, 10 ACH labor and delivery room air, I guess.
:toot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

The morning news is telling me that malaria is just the flu, mild, and probably endemic so don't worry about it. But also take prophylaxis drugs if you're traveling to an area with endemic malaria, which :dafuq:

this is also a bioweapon

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1693271300460962195

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

to capitalism! the cause of, and solution to, all of society’s problems

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

eXXon posted:

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

If I ever go back to waiting tables I'm going to do the reverse of the thing where the lovely church crowd leaves a fake $20 with a psalm on the back and start giving fake mints with rolled up marxist screeds in them

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

Apologies if this is starting to get off-topic, but christ I cannot imagine having money and wanting to go to Applebee's. I don't have money and don't want to go to Applebee's. What is wrong with America's rich?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Apologies if this is starting to get off-topic, but christ I cannot imagine having money and wanting to go to Applebee's. I don't have money and don't want to go to Applebee's. What is wrong with America's rich?

when my social group was just of drinking age, a buddy of mine always wanted to go to applebee's because "coors light is coors light and the bartenders are cuter and I think I might have a shot with this one because..." so I spent way more time eating lovely tortilla chips and lovely mozzarella sticks than any person should have to.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
ngl after reading some /r/antiwork posts from tipped workers I've considered doing cash tips only and clipping a small note to it that just says legally managers/owners cannot demand a cut of tips or participate in pooled tips

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

SplitSoul posted:

Anecdotal, but I've had a shitload of people in my family and social circle develop cancer since COVID showed up. For two out of the nine I'm fairly certain it wasn't related (asbestosis-induced lung cancer and long-undiagnosed prostate cancer), but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out COVID causes cancer.

Anyway, what's hot in the world of COVID? I hear we might all have to get boosters again. That can't be right, it's over.

There is absolutely no compelling evidence that COVID causes cancer. There is a single article that proposes a biological mechanism but you can pretty much propose a plausible biological mechanism for any virus to cause various cancers. Observational studies linking COVID to cancer, as pointed out, are certainly confounded by the fact that people with COVID seek more medical care. At these medical visits the providers detect the cancer thus inducing the observed link between COVID and cancer.

I am highly skeptical that COVID causes cancer in the same sense as say several types of HPV cause cervical or oropharyngeal cancer. Instead, what I would find plausible is that COVID could induce conditions (inflammation, microbiome dysbiosis) that promote oncogenesis, but this would not be unique to COVID--nearly every chronic and acute disease causes inflammation and dysbiosis.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it fucks up your immune system across the board, the immune system helps keep precancerous and already malignant cells in check to a certain extent. no other crazy mechanism necessary. it doesn't CAUSE cancer. it just wrecks some of the body's ability to stop cancer

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Hayley from Paramore likely has long term health damage from Covid now

A little bit of googling shows that Hayley doesn't claim to have COVID. There are some conspiracies floating around that she has to lie about it for insurance reasons but seems like speculation or random Internet BS.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Rochallor posted:

Reading the paper itself, they define rich as "households from the top 20% of neighborhoods". So, if I'm comparing this to census data correctly, $130k a year household income basically. I don't think we're talking about the 1% here.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

text editor posted:

ngl after reading some /r/antiwork posts from tipped workers I've considered doing cash tips only and clipping a small note to it that just says legally managers/owners cannot demand a cut of tips or participate in pooled tips

yup, always always always tip cash, least of all because the owner will almost always try and take the merchant fee out of tips.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

speng31b posted:

A little bit of googling shows that Hayley doesn't claim to have COVID. There are some conspiracies floating around that she has to lie about it for insurance reasons but seems like speculation or random Internet BS.

It's pretty common knowledge that insurance for venues specifically doesn't cover COVID, so if an artist cancels due to COVID a lot of people lose a lot of money, including the artist. Now weird cardiopulmonary stuff combined with a lung infection? That could happen to anyone, so unexpected!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

speng31b posted:

A little bit of googling

speculation or random Internet BS.

great distinction!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

There is absolutely no compelling evidence that COVID causes cancer. There is a single article that proposes a biological mechanism but you can pretty much propose a plausible biological mechanism for any virus to cause various cancers. Observational studies linking COVID to cancer, as pointed out, are certainly confounded by the fact that people with COVID seek more medical care. At these medical visits the providers detect the cancer thus inducing the observed link between COVID and cancer.

I am highly skeptical that COVID causes cancer in the same sense as say several types of HPV cause cervical or oropharyngeal cancer. Instead, what I would find plausible is that COVID could induce conditions (inflammation, microbiome dysbiosis) that promote oncogenesis, but this would not be unique to COVID--nearly every chronic and acute disease causes inflammation and dysbiosis.

also no compelling evidence that masks “work”, or seatbelts, or that driving a school bus drunk in Saskatoon next Tuesday might “cause” some dead kids.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

also no compelling evidence that masks “work”, or seatbelts, or that driving a school bus drunk in Saskatoon next Tuesday might “cause” some dead kids.

reminder

Rosalind posted:

Since I was invited to participate in this thread

speng31b
May 8, 2010

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

It's pretty common knowledge that insurance for venues specifically doesn't cover COVID, so if an artist cancels due to COVID a lot of people lose a lot of money, including the artist. Now weird cardiopulmonary stuff combined with a lung infection? That could happen to anyone, so unexpected!

Tbh I can't really tell, seems like Paramore in particular postponed a bunch of shows in 2022 and just came out immediately and said it was COVID so the have a track record of being honest about it, but maybe Metallica losing that suit recently has been a turning point for performers that were previously more honest about that stuff. Shame if so.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rochallor posted:

We have dragged the upper classes down, just not in a good way.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ait with a nuke

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

wrong thread, whatever

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My whole team at work has COVID, but not me

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ikanreed posted:

My whole team at work has COVID, but not me

you should email them all and tell them 'skill issue'

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it fucks up your immune system across the board, the immune system helps keep precancerous and already malignant cells in check to a certain extent. no other crazy mechanism necessary. it doesn't CAUSE cancer. it just wrecks some of the body's ability to stop cancer

Yeah, I think it is one of those things where, depending on the framing, it is likely both a yes and a no.

1) Does having COVID cause cells to transform into cancerous cells? - probably not.

2) Does getting COVID increase your risk of getting cancer? - considering inflammation and immune system issues it can cause, it probably does to an extent.

3) Will COVID cause a categorical increase in cancer cases? - considering the individual effect, this should happen, but COVID itself reducing people with weak or weakened immune systems, maybe not. The continued meltdown of healthcare systems will also likely reduce cancer cases.

Where the debate on COVID and cancer plain sucks, is when 1) is used as a reason not to do anything, while 2) should get individuals to consider not getting COVID and 3) should make society crack down on COVID cases.

Either way, it will be years before we reach some hard conclusions (hopefully the effect isn't so pronounced we get it too quickly) and the correlation between cancer and COVID isn't compelling evidence imho. Mainly because cancer patients are more likely to get both infected and tested.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

tuyop posted:

There is compelling evidence that masks and seatbelts work and that drunk driving is ridiculously dangerous.

I know the point you're trying to make which is the idea that one does not need to do an RCT of parachutes to know that they work. That is to say that there are other evidentiary standards that should be sufficient for causality. But, I would note that cancer is not nearly as simple as a parachute or drunk driving or a seatbelt. Cancer is not a monolith, but the cause of many cancers is a combination of tons of genetic, environmental, dietary, etc. factors interacting over the lifespan which is very different from a car crash or someone coming down with an infectious disease where the cause is much more easily observable.

I am urging caution in the absence of evidence that COVID is in fact causing cancer (at least in a new or more dangerous way compared to other diseases).

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nothus posted:

That reminds me of when we had few cases of West Nile down here the news emphasize that there was only few, it's difficult to spread and not to panic. On the local subreddit, there was couple of comments that it was just overhyped, mild, and nothing to worry about (thankfully they got massively downvoted).

It wouldn't be long before all insect-borne diseases get the mild treatment since it's way too hard for any agency to do any public health initiatives on something endemic

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Aug 21, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lib and let die posted:

you should email them all and tell them 'skill issue'

Actually I was spared mandatory air travel and whole company in person meeting by virtue of being a contractor.

They even got the interns, but not me.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Actually I was spared mandatory air travel and whole company in person meeting by virtue of being a contractor.

They even got the interns, but not me.

It's a good thing you're a contractor, otherwise they would question why you're declining to participate in the improv team building experience.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I want to stress that my team is split across 4 different cities and they still managed to get everyone.

The good news is that they also all went to the Iowa State Fair so maybe some presidential candidates got got.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

There is compelling evidence that masks and seatbelts work and that drunk driving is ridiculously dangerous.

I know the point you're trying to make which is the idea that one does not need to do an RCT of parachutes to know that they work. That is to say that there are other evidentiary standards that should be sufficient for causality. But, I would note that cancer is not nearly as simple as a parachute or drunk driving or a seatbelt. Cancer is not a monolith, but the cause of many cancers is a combination of tons of genetic, environmental, dietary, etc. factors interacting over the lifespan which is very different from a car crash or someone coming down with an infectious disease where the cause is much more easily observable.

I am urging caution in the absence of evidence that COVID is in fact causing cancer (at least in a new or more dangerous way compared to other diseases).

alright that’s a fair and fine point imo :)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But it also gets a lot of people to work on time

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

speng31b posted:

lol what

is there another covid now? many such non covid cases (apparently)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

lol what

I mean Hayley hasn't claimed that the cancellation is based on COVID. In fact she said her condition was not contagious. And they have a track record of cancelling shows in the past year and just coming out and directly saying it's because of COVID. So maybe they're lying now because the Metallica case scared people badly enough who have previously been honest about that stuff? Idk.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Delta-Wye posted:

lol what

Milditis

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
omg she doesn't have covid u guys, she just has covid lung damage that has predisposed her to bacterial pneumonia, thus destroying her touring career, nbd

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i certainly remember the numerous touring musicians canceling shows and being unreliable before 2020 too

it was mostly heroin tho afaict

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

speng31b posted:

Musicians will pretty much always say "an infection" rather than a specific disease because tour insurance (aka business interruption or event cancellation insurance) has exclusions for cancellations due to communicable diseases. Keeping it generic creates plausible deniability that they have double pneumonia for no reason and it's not because of the virus they may or may not have caught. It's not covid-specific, but, you know.

Dunno if Paramore does or doesn't have covid but the insurance situation is not a conspiracy theory; the insurance commissioners association website has a plain language brief that includes information about this type of insurance and how COVID impacts it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...E3-VPuhyky29Opq

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Rochallor posted:

trump's favorite restaurant is mcdonalds

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Strep Vote posted:

omg she doesn't have covid u guys, she just has covid lung damage that has predisposed her to bacterial pneumonia, thus destroying her touring career, nbd

people keep saying that covid kills concerts but it's just not true and i haven't seen any studies about it at all

which is not a dig at you, Rosalind. Just the strawman I built of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I did some quick googling and there's no such disease as coviid, so how could it stop the tour?