Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gnoman posted:

Equally important, most trans people don't figure out their situation for years, and a lot don't admit it for a long time after that. This girl's been getting the treatment since birth, and knew it was wrong.

got the treatment from birth anyway, which screwed me up pretty hard regardless of when I figured it out (still pretty early, don't worry), and with the added bonus of it actually happening to me and millions of other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Almost certainly he went to a 'self help' course about 'starting your own business' or watched a youtube video about 'seize control of your life, become the alpha male, here's how' and its always some bullshit like this

In such a case likening it to an MLM is not far off.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:qq: "Stop being mean to me, i pay your rent" :qq:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The alphamalé cries in the bedroom, the sigmamalé cries in the living room.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

got the treatment from birth anyway, which screwed me up pretty hard regardless of when I figured it out (still pretty early, don't worry), and with the added bonus of it actually happening to me and millions of other people

Even if it is real at least a cis kid can point at their genitals and get validation from everyone who isn't their delusional parent; a trans kid has to argue with every biology explainer in creation so yeah, way tougher and bound to gently caress you up harder.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

edogawa rando posted:

AITA? Family upset I won’t invite homophobic cousin to my wedding

Nice to have family members kindly uninvite themselves from the wedding.

Why does homophobic cousin want to come to this ungodly abomination of a wedding anyways?

Also "She called me an abomination. We haven't spoken for years. So it's not surprising she isn't invited to my wedding." is perfectly reasonable. People have been disinvited to weddings for less.

And anyone supporting the homophobic cousin out of "it's family" style reasons can get hosed. Whilst it may hurt now coz you are a sweet and caring person, you are better off without them in the long run. Coz who knows what evil they will support over you and your wife's happiness down the track.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I hosed up and forgot to invite a cousin to my wedding. She was married to a neurologist, and I felt truly awful that no one caught that she wasn't on the invite list. I apologized to her, and while I could tell she was hurt, she understood it was just an oversight.

Then a couple months later, her marriage was falling apart, the neurologist had a side piece from before they married and my cousin found out about it. He decided to go boating on lake Erie during a bad storm. He was not the kind of guy to ever take a boat out on his own, and his body washed up in Canada a few weeks later.

I'm pretty sure my cousin doesn't even remember that she missed my wedding.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for putting my family in debt over my stone collection?

quote:

Hey Reddit, I've been dealing with this guilt, and I need some external opinions.

I (38M) have a significant obsession with collecting rare and precious stones. It started as a small hobby - just picking up pretty pebbles and studying them. As I started identifying rare and valuable ones, though, it quickly escalated into a full-time pursuit.

My wife (37F) has been supportive in the past, but as my collection expanded, I had to invest in proper cases, climate-controlled storage, and stringent security systems to protect them. I even began attending auctions and ended up getting into bidding wars to add more unique pieces to my collection. I started using our joint savings and even took out loans to fund my hobby which put us in considerable debt.

During this entire process, I overlooked my wife's growing concern and discomfort. Her frustration boiled over when our daughter's tuition came due, and we didn't have enough to cover it. She didn't want our savings and credit to be further depleted for my stones.

After a heated argument, she decided to leave me and go live with her parents. She's asked me to sell my collection and clear our debts before she would even consider coming back. I'm torn because, on one hand, these stones mean the world to me, but on the other, I understand that I've put a significant financial strain on my family because of my interest.

Now the collectors I've associated with, along with a few friends, keep telling me my wife will come around and that she doesn't understand how important the stones are. But isn't it just a spouse's job to support their partner’s passion?

So, Reddit, AITA for putting my family in debt over my stone collection?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

I believe this is a thing that has happened to real people, I don't believe this story is not fiction.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Fake, a real collector would call them mineral specimens.

Also lol climate control, all I need is a cardboard box on the floor for my gf to tell me to stop buying more :smaug:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why does homophobic cousin want to come to this ungodly abomination of a wedding anyways?

To crash it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thats funny because the english civil war was ultimately what pay the groundwork for the American revolution because Cromwell was the first gift to place mercantilist rules on the colonies which were later relaxed and when they were tightened again caused the war

Not really, don't believe everything you read at the top of a Wikipedia article, though they did get extended under the Commonwealth (which is not synonymous with 'Cromwell'). What did lay the groundwork was a bunch of the Founding Fathers seeing themselves as the heirs of the English Parliamentary figures resisting Crown oppression before the Civil War, though (and after, the Bill of Rights (our one not America's though the name is not a coincidence) and the Glorious Revolution comes in too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Evil Willow posted:

Jesus Christ Marie!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

The English Civil War is actually pretty easy because it can be summed up as 'in the long run there wasn't really a principle at stake, Charles I was just such an incredible rear end in a top hat that people would rather fight a war than work for him.

And this is, well, bugshit. There very much was a principle at stake, one which finally won out in 1689.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nocheez posted:

I hosed up and forgot to invite a cousin to my wedding. She was married to a neurologist, and I felt truly awful that no one caught that she wasn't on the invite list. I apologized to her, and while I could tell she was hurt, she understood it was just an oversight.

Then a couple months later, her marriage was falling apart, the neurologist had a side piece from before they married and my cousin found out about it. He decided to go boating on lake Erie during a bad storm. He was not the kind of guy to ever take a boat out on his own, and his body washed up in Canada a few weeks later.

I'm pretty sure my cousin doesn't even remember that she missed my wedding.

Wow, your cousin is very decisive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xun posted:

Fake, a real collector would call them mineral specimens.

Plus there's no way someone that deep into collecting "stones" isn't taking the opportunity to mention his favourite specimens and probably post some pictures of them too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DrManiac posted:

Wow, your cousin is very decisive.

:laffo:
I realize my wording left it up to the imagination, but she definitely had nothing to do with his decision. He was seen on CCTV going to the boat alone, and his wallet and keys were locked on board when he went over. The coast guard even sent a plane (or was it a heli?) from NC to look for him.

It was officially ruled an accident, but I'm positive that he took the plunge on purpose.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming the story is true, I’m guessing cousin wants to come to the wedding so she can make a big old scene at it. “This is an abomination unto God!” “Turn back now cousin, turn your back on this Jezebel who has tricked into lesbianing!” That sort of thing, probably.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Restraining order is being selectively enforced to censor criticism. And victims are repeatedly contacting me. from /r/legaladvice

quote:

As of years ago, my high school has a restraining order against me (California), and among the clauses including the typical no contact is that oddly specifically, and they have prosecuted me for this, is that I don't have a right to talk about them, but only if said speech is on "social media". It reads "no social media contact or posts about '(insert school name)'"

I have tried several times to have that clause removed but nobody even considers that it is a 1st amendment violation, claiming that the only purpose I would post about the school is if I intended for them to see the post. So far they only have ever prosecuted me whenever I say something they don't like, even though plenty of things I say talk about said high school in a positive / neutral light.

To add insult to injury, the schools clubs are REQUESTING TO FOLLOW ME on a near weekly basis, and I am stuck in this dilemma whether to accept or deny, because it doesnt matter which one I click, it sends them an automated message that tells them the results of my decision. I know this constitutes the victims contacting me because I have been charged before for merely requesting to follow an alumni group that I DIDNT KNOW AND COULD NOT HAVE KNOWN UNTIL AFTER JOINING that it was admined by a current faculty. Judges have historically ruled "pokes" on facebook to be violations, and I also have read that there are cases when a victim is repeatedly violating a restraining order, the defendant has certain rights to have the order terminated or possibly reversed against the victim. Does any of this apply to me?

quote:

You've had a restraining order in place for years? How many? For what?

quote:

3 years so far, for using their CNC mill to manufacture a "machine gun" aka a glock full auto switch.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My god, his 1st AND 2nd Amendment rights are being abridged?!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's so wild whenever someone posts about an ongoing legal matter that already has a judge involved, asking for advice. It means that neither their lawyer nor any other lawyer they approach want anything to do with this any more. Well, it could also mean that they cannot afford a lawyer but since the OP's school had a CNC machine he's probably at least lower middle class financially.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 21, 2023

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Lol he is lucky he isn't making that post from a fed prison library

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My guess is that the guy making gun components in the DT room and then being put under a restraining order about it is just entirely stupid.

The classic "why would I need a lawyer when I'm so obviously right, and have the backup of the most reliable website in the world" fallacy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Or they’re just not listening to their lawyer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just want to see the next day when they walk into their lawyer's office and show them their phone where people on reddit say it's a good idea to discuss the case online.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

B-Rock452 posted:

Lol he is lucky he isn't making that post from a fed prison library

The obsessiveness about it kinda makes me wish he were.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

welcome to hell posted:

Restraining order is being selectively enforced to censor criticism. And victims are repeatedly contacting me. from /r/legaladvice

Judges have historically ruled "pokes" on facebook to be violations, and I also have read that there are cases when a victim is repeatedly violating a restraining order, the defendant has certain rights to have the order terminated or possibly reversed against the victim.

So he wants a restraining order against the school?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just want to see the next day when they walk into their lawyer's office and show them their phone where people on reddit say it's a good idea to discuss the case online.

I assume it’s an exaggerated sigh to give them time to figure out how many extra billable hours that justifies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So he wants a restraining order against the school?

I mean plenty of red flags about this guy, but it's totally legit and not unheard of for subjects of restraining orders to have to come back to court and say "hey the entity that took out this restraining order keeps contacting me to try and trick me into breaking it, please release me and also tell them to stop contacting me".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sure he made a massively deadly weapon, but he now has to suffer the torture of clicking "no" to a friend request once a week.

Who's to say who the bigger victim is, here?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i had no idea what a CNC machine was but damnit I wish we had had one when I was in high school. Kids today and their techNOlogy!

AITA for making a family check a baby cart so my luggage could fit on the overhead bin?

quote:

I don’t know if this is an universal thing, but in my country, you need to pay to check bags when flying. This does not include, of course, carry ons and things like baby carts.

You can usually pay extra to sit in the first five rows of an airplane (though some people who are priority can sit there for free). This extra fee doesn’t include only your seat, it also includes a few perks: boarding first (just after priority) and guaranteed overhead space for your carry on on the top of your seat (and, consequentially, leaving the airplane first because of that). That’s important because those are the main reasons I pay the extra fee. Those are detailed when you buy the ticket.

So today I was boarding a plane back home with my (small) carry on when I opened the overhead bin of row 1 (where I was seating) and it was packed full, though there were not that many people in the airplane and even in the first 5 rows. I then looked into row 2 and it was full. The first space open was in row 8, which meant that when the plane arrived, I would probably have to wait for the whole airplane to leave before getting my bags.

I called the attendant and explained my situation. She then tried to find out why it was so packed. It turns out there were two families with babies (parents plus babies) that had around 7 itens each in the overhead bin. Luggage plus big backpack for each parent, luggage plus big backpack for each baby, and then the baby’s cart - which is commonly checked at the airplane, at no cost, and delivered first (they are usually lined just outside the airplane when people start leaving). The backpacks were too big to fit under the seat. Plus, the babies, with all due respect, don’t have a proper seat and therefore are not allowed luggage. So they had 6 extra volumes then they were allowed, thus crowding the overhead.

The flight attendant then said “there was nothing she could do”. I do understand and sympathize with the parents, but I said to her that I wanted a refund for not having the perks I paid for. She said that was not possible. I then said “fine, then make sure my luggage is on row 1, where it is supposed to be”. The only way to achieve that was checking something of the parents, which ended up being the baby carts (another woman in row 1 was in the same situation and also demanded space for her carry on). Parents got pissed and called us assholes, told us that we did not understand what having babies were like. I did not engage.

When the plane landed, I was the first to leave the plane and the baby carts were already outside waiting for the parents (they cannot even open inside the airplane, so it had not clear advantage to have them in the bins to begin with).

I’m usually more of a pushover and after getting home I felt bad for the situation. I know I was technically in my rights, but that does not mean I was not the rear end in a top hat. In my mind the AH is the airline not better organizing everything and accommodating parents, but I could have, for once, just waited a bit.

AITA?

every day I am reminded why flying anywhere seems like a hassle of a gently caress.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I think on a lot of US airlines they specific about baby strollers or what have you being checked and not for being in the overheads but that might just be the social mores in my head.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

I mean plenty of red flags about this guy, but it's totally legit and not unheard of for subjects of restraining orders to have to come back to court and say "hey the entity that took out this restraining order keeps contacting me to try and trick me into breaking it, please release me and also tell them to stop contacting me".

But it's not the school it's idiot kids.

Other idiot kids.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I think on a lot of US airlines they specific about baby strollers or what have you being checked and not for being in the overheads but that might just be the social mores in my head.

You check them at the gate, they throw them under the plane, and you get it back either at the next gate or at the terminal.

If your backpacks can't fit under your seat, they are too big. Taking up 2 full bins for your poo poo is rude as hell, but it's never been an issue for me since I only bring what fits under my seat on a plane.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That seems to be the trend now, every flight I've been on announces that the overhead bins are full and they're going to start checking in luggage. They also don't have those metal cages to check dimensions anymore, so I guess people feel confident bringing their steamer trunks as carry-on.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

On every airline in the US I have flown the story would not happen. A group being let down the jet bridge with obviously extra carry-on packages would be told to check some. At most someone slipping an extra small package into the overhead would be overlooked.

And yes, strollers either count as your carry-on if you want to fit it in the overhead, or you gate check it for free. I think some airlines might let you bring both if they have space, but also I've never seen there be space.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you bring a stroller on as a carryon you’re an rear end in a top hat.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Accidentally stated I had 24 months experience and now I'm being investigated in LegalAdviceUK by "sraregulate"

quote:

I don't want to give too much information away as it may identify me. I worked for a firm and in order to be recognised in the role you need to have 24 months qualifying work experience. I asked my line manager to sign me off for the time I worked in the firm. I included the time I had been on internship as well. It could have been conceivable that a miscalculation might have occurred when quantifying the duration of experience, resulting in a figure that might not be entirely congruent with the chronological reality. The sum did not add up to 24 months but my line manager signed it off and I asked him if he was sure, and he said yes. The regulatory body that is responsible and oversees the work that I do are now investigating me. There may have been a misalignment between the information I shared and the actual circumstances surrounding a specific facet of my experience; they believe I am not meeting their criteria of integrity and independence. What are my legal rights. Do I have to comply with the investigation with the regulatory body?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

welcome to hell posted:

Accidentally stated I had 24 months experience and now I'm being investigated in LegalAdviceUK by "sraregulate"

There may have been a misalignment between the information I shared and the actual circumstances surrounding a specific facet of my experience;
Translation: I lied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Lol the amount of weasel words and exonerative tense in that paragraph approaches news reports of US cops shooting people.