Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

what's cringe on Eggman's list because that's drat near beat for beat my record collection

eggman is perfect no notes

like nothing on it is cringe in a vacuum but you look at him and you're like "yeah you WOULD list King Crimson in your top seven bands"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also lol that they finally reveal what lucians deal is: he's a former ultraroyalist death squad leader that reinvented himself as a humble centrist campaign manager

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’ll be dead in the cold ground before I call DR Robotnik eggman

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I didn't see Marsden/Carrey Sonic, was he Robotnik or Eggman in that one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

which is rarer, the Toadstool/Eggman gamer or the Peach/Robotnik gamer

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Srice posted:

:hai:

frequently it's more interesting to see how the games accommodate for those failures.

Spoiler, they don't.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sam, Dr Ivo Robotnik here

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Bro Dad posted:

Also lol that they finally reveal what lucians deal is: he's a former ultraroyalist death squad leader that reinvented himself as a humble centrist campaign manager

the Perfect Democrat

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

RandolphCarter posted:

I’ll be dead in the cold ground before I call DR Robotnik eggman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Save-scumming is a symptom of the game not doing a good job of communicating the stakes and the potential outcomes of the player making choices

Like, you can say "just let the chips fall where they may", but it genuinely stings if the game hits you with something that you didn't, and couldn't, anticipate

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah. also sometimes, at least for me, if i'm committing to save scummery it's just out of compulsive curiosity. i dont really mind misleading dialogue if i commit to it before hand. but if i dont commit to that i just want to see what can happen doing stuff different ways for funsies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1693512126424625472?t=SXLbxXVIH9as7xiZHJxF5g&s=19

Lol of loving course the bellingcat dude is completely dishonorable. Of course.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
absolute psychopath

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Spoiler, they don't.

i like how every failed quest ends with "They're dead."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
are you guys playing the same game as me...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In hour number 2 of my BG3 playthrough I made a con-artist child fudge a coin flip for me ten times in a row and it was hilarious

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

are you guys playing the same game as me...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is just a sign SA is getting really old. That post is a common gimmick on TikTok or Twitter, making goofy jokes about the political alignment of a games characters.

seriously lmao do people not remember the politics of mario kart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycfDgg4acY

Cuttlefush posted:

what was the mmo (very old) where there were like cops, army, criminals, other factions. and people roleplayed. but it was kind of a shooter? does that ring any bells

every time i see secret world i think of it but it's not the same at all

APB? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

Bro Dad posted:

Suzerain just got a complete overhaul, go play it you shits

aw poo poo good idea

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i save scum because i don't want to replay a 70 hour long game multiple times to see what happens if half the characters don't die partway through their quest lines

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1693512126424625472?t=SXLbxXVIH9as7xiZHJxF5g&s=19

i like that the op here is really just mad that people are dishonorably loving around when playing dnd instead of strictly adhering to the rules like true gamers

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Aug 21, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

nope. but i also mix it up with that one. i was thinking of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_of_Mankind?useskin=vector

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

smarxist posted:

i like how every failed quest ends with "They're dead."

quest completed: WELP

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

Suzerain just got a complete overhaul, go play it you shits

oh no

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1693624850680623555

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

So long, gay Mario

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

So long, gay Mario

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

Save-scumming is a symptom of the game not doing a good job of communicating the stakes and the potential outcomes of the player making choices

Like, you can say "just let the chips fall where they may", but it genuinely stings if the game hits you with something that you didn't, and couldn't, anticipate

it is awful when it genuinely stings, it's like it almost hurts but it doesn't bc it's a vidoe game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

i like that the op here is really just mad that people are dishonorably loving around when playing dnd instead of strictly adhering to the rules like true gamers

If you're not adhering to the rules what is even the point? You might as well be playing pretend princess tea time party with stuffed animals.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Chris Pratt Mario is the future.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Miyamoto became angry with Martinet's progressive views

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

can't you just resurrect dead party members in bg3? who cares if they die lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They caught him playing emulated games on Steamdeck

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well then you're just railroading your players and always forcing them down the path you want. As the DM you're also supposed to be rolling with the randomness and writing the story as you tell it. What an idiot.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

You always play what is rolled

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New teasers. First look at a battlepass skin and one of the new PoIs in the coming desert biome.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You just fudge rolls when the only option is really unfun or frustrating. Otherwise your job as DM is to think of a way to succeed or fail that is interesting and moves the story forward.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Of course Robert Evans sucks on this. Of course.

I will play enemies sub-optimally, like not go after downed players, and I will fudge mechanics in the name of fun, but I will not fudge a dice roll.

Mr Hootington posted:

You always play what is rolled

That's right.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

well no dm would have a goblin jump out of a bush and push a player to their death

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Well then you're just railroading your players and always forcing them down the path you want. As the DM you're also supposed to be rolling with the randomness and writing the story as you tell it. What an idiot.

I have fudged as a DM in the past but its usually been to pretend an enemy had more or less HP than it actually did, either to beef up an encounter that was intended to be more threatening, or shorten an encounter thats already a foregone conclusion.

Though, the correct response to the "oops, the encounter was too weak" problem is just to have more enemies run in.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

You just fudge rolls when the only option is really unfun or frustrating. Otherwise your job as DM is to think of a way to succeed or fail that is interesting and moves the story forward.

fudging a roll to make things more fun is basically the same as using inspiration. if someone has a really cool idea to use the environment in a fun way or something but the dice don't shake out right, gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zokari posted:

well no dm would have a goblin jump out of a bush and push a player to their death

I mean that would be hilarious, that's no fun for anyone