Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

personally, I'm against concert posts because they're... well, they're too obvious, we can guess why it's the case, I'd rather see a statistic on rate of concert or the like cancellation since COVID started rather then white noise nonsense, and I agree with that policy.

edit: or this post, this is good rather then random nonsense:

jetz0r posted:

i worked in concerts for 20 years, and show/tour cancellations are up by an absurd amount compared to pre-covid. it went from under 5% of shows being canceled, to 20-30% getting canceled. with the end of year shows getting closer to 50%.

the info on why shows get canceled has always been spotty, especially due to health reasons. but there's a big gap in the number of additional shows being canceled due to covid, and the number that admit that it's covid causing the cancellation.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hailthefish posted:

and presumably the last loving thing the people in charge of the budgets want is more kids in the school system for longer, holding kids back hasn't been much of a thing anymore for quite a while, and that seems even less likely to change now

Yeah, I can only speak for my little district in CT, but there generally was not a lot of pressure to hold back anyone who was otherwise passing their classes. Chronic absenteeism is definitely something that'd get noticed, but there'd need to be some evidence of an underlying problem and/or missed assignments and failing grades before it'd ever escalate to holding someone back. The usual routine was that threats would get really intense when someone was approaching that limit, and then things would get a lot gentler after because retention was not seriously on the table for a student who was otherwise passing all their classes.

This was all long before COVID, of course.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I would like to avoid getting COVID

Apologies in advance to the people who think this is a controversial position to have

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bedpan posted:

Apologies in advance to the people who think this is a controversial position to have

further i will post random nonsense if i fuckin feel like it jesus christ

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

wake up babe new 2-year pasc study just dropped https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02521-2

Looks like an extremely "the frogurt is also cursed" type situation.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

almost every student who had attendance problems last year got their attendance appealed by committee and restored. to actually enforce attendance would draw the attention to the state DoE who might start asking questions or penalizing your staff with performance metrics

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Harik posted:

The schoolyear started with a bang.

Ugh I'm really sorry. Hope you all of you recovery quickly without any longterm symptoms. This society is trash, real cool how people who don't want COVID and are doing everything right still get needlessly pushed into it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I can only speak for my little district in CT, but there generally was not a lot of pressure to hold back anyone who was otherwise passing their classes. Chronic absenteeism is definitely something that'd get noticed, but there'd need to be some evidence of an underlying problem and/or missed assignments and failing grades before it'd ever escalate to holding someone back. The usual routine was that threats would get really intense when someone was approaching that limit, and then things would get a lot gentler after because retention was not seriously on the table for a student who was otherwise passing all their classes.

This was all long before COVID, of course.

Pretty funny system.

I've not worked on that part of education. When I was working social services, the electeds really did not treat education as a meaningful element of the school system. The purpose and function of the school system was to keep teenagers monitored until they could get jobs, so absenteeism was definitely treated as a worse thing than bad test scores, in-school violence, etc.

Of course we didn't have any direct ability to impact the school system, our tools were to annoy the actual Department of Education and to be just horrible assholes to parents who were getting benefits.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Thank you for saving this, I thought it was lost to time.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

bedpan posted:

this is a lockdown

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Don't talk about handing out prescription poo poo, we all know it happens, everyone does for many reasons good and bad, but as a general rule, talk about it does not belong in threads on SA for multiple reasons.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

prescription poo poo

is this the stuff used in fecal transplants?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I've been told everyone will get covid so why aren't vulnerable people issued pax before the infection? Surely not so the rich and connected can have the lion's share and pop it like candy when COVID gets in the way of "living their lives."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

*squints* why don't you want to get sick bro

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
My doctor can't give me novavax but I can do a two hour round trip to the county health office for it. Tools.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I'm hoping that Biden's "I will be encouraging all Americans to get the booster" is truly indicative of wide availability, not like fall 2021, when we were all being told that vaccination is critical (but kids, who couldn't yet get vaccinated, must return to school ASAP)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

biden probably thought he was giving a PSA about restaurant booster seats. c'mon, man.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pingui posted:

That said, if the premise of the thread existing is that people don't do that speculation, then I would urge people to stop doing said speculation. Even if I think that is an asinine rule.

I think the new thread rules stop short of making this off limits, but the spirit of the rule is to prevent just taking some public figure and speculating about their health. That avenue of discussion can lead to weird stuff. I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all except when I looked into the Paramore thing I found that they not only hadn't claimed to have COVID but also had recently postponed concerts and directly blamed COVID in the past, so it isn't even as straightforward a situation as just commenting on the COVID case of some random celebrity. Seems to be a pretty hot topic even in the "Paramore community" since they were viewed as a pretty COVID-cautious performer up until maybe last year?

Personally I'd recommend to avoid that kind of stuff especially since the speculation was beyond just "did they have COVID" and was specifically

Steve Yun posted:

Hayley from Paramore likely has long term health damage from Covid now

which is, just in my personal opinion, kind of taking that speculation too far.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

I think the new thread rules stop short of making this off limits, but the spirit of the rule is to prevent just taking some public figure and speculating about their health. That avenue of discussion can lead to weird stuff.

i just reported a post for implying Biden has dementia and not a stutter. hth your work.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

speng31b posted:

I think the new thread rules stop short of making this off limits, but the spirit of the rule is to prevent just taking some public figure and speculating about their health. That avenue of discussion can lead to weird stuff. I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all except when I looked into the Paramore thing I found that they not only hadn't claimed to have COVID but also had recently postponed concerts and directly blamed COVID in the past, so it isn't even as straightforward a situation as just commenting on the COVID case of some random celebrity.

Personally I'd recommend to avoid that kind of stuff especially since the speculation was beyond just "did they have COVID" and was specifically

I mean, I think he's probably right but I also think it's not really something to speculate about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

i just reported a post for implying Biden has dementia and not a stutter. hth your work.

thank you, i thought it was a good post, glad the mods will get to see it now :)

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Pills. Now. Please.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rz3pmhsGhL1yfqc8c.mp4

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Strep Vote posted:

I've been told everyone will get covid so why aren't vulnerable people issued pax before the infection? Surely not so the rich and connected can have the lion's share and pop it like candy when COVID gets in the way of "living their lives."

The very OP of this thread warns that paxlovid is a serious medication that may be contraindicated in a ton of situations. Prescribing it to people just to have around in case they get COVID comes with significant risks. This could include people suffering serious side effects because they started a new medication in-between receiving their paxlovid prescription and actually initiating it.

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected." When my parents had COVID earlier this year, they called a free hotline from the state of Washington, were prescribed paxlovid via a telehealth appointment, and had a prescription waiting at their pharmacy within 30 minutes. Again all of this for free. They also offered free home delivery. I know many other states have similar programs that are still operating including NY and CA.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Starting to hear stories from people who don't care about covid, about people getting covid. Someone I know went on a trip to europe and just came back with it. Another friend visited parents locally and everyone got it there, too. I give myself about 2 weeks before getting it, since I've got 2 kids and school just started.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Sale on for BreatheTeq, 15% off with code BTS2023, but weirdly I can't seem to load their site. Phone posting though, anyone else having this issue?

https://breatheteq.com/

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Rosalind posted:

The very OP of this thread warns that paxlovid is a serious medication that may be contraindicated in a ton of situations. Prescribing it to people just to have around in case they get COVID comes with significant risks. This could include people suffering serious side effects because they started a new medication in-between receiving their paxlovid prescription and actually initiating it.

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected." When my parents had COVID earlier this year, they called a free hotline from the state of Washington, were prescribed paxlovid via a telehealth appointment, and had a prescription waiting at their pharmacy within 30 minutes. Again all of this for free. They also offered free home delivery. I know many other states have similar programs that are still operating including NY and CA.

It's loving obnoxious as hell to get it in canada because the loving dumbfuck liberal government didn't order enough. While I agree with the policy of not talking it here, I've seen enough horror stories that I can understand where distrust of poo poo came from.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected."

It's not going to be free soon, and it's expected to be priced at the equivalent of nearly two weeks of work for minimum wage workers.

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
Well gently caress my kid popped positive on a RAT. This is first for any of us to the best of our knowledge. As I mentioned we are currently traveling and for the past week, my wife and kid were elsewhere, so I can continue staying in a separate room but my wife has been exposed for days by now, but we can hope…

Ugh. I know we have taken higher risks than thread recommends but still sucks.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Rosalind posted:

Please don't make the mistake that many people make and assume that all goons are posting from deep blue states. There are plenty of goons who are in deep red states and non-americans.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zantie posted:

Sale on for BreatheTeq, 15% off with code BTS2023, but weirdly I can't seem to load their site. Phone posting though, anyone else having this issue?

are all of these earloop masks? i don't really use those except when taking out the trash or something.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Zantie posted:

YES! I need to restock because the new school year is starting. Thank you! ✌️

Edit: loading okay on my end

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

speng31b posted:

I think the new thread rules stop short of making this off limits, but the spirit of the rule is to prevent just taking some public figure and speculating about their health. That avenue of discussion can lead to weird stuff. I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all except when I looked into the Paramore thing I found that they not only hadn't claimed to have COVID but also had recently postponed concerts and directly blamed COVID in the past, so it isn't even as straightforward a situation as just commenting on the COVID case of some random celebrity. Seems to be a pretty hot topic even in the "Paramore community" since they were viewed as a pretty COVID-cautious performer up until maybe last year?

when you describe a person as a "public figure" it is an explicit framing of them generally being subject to speculation in this exact fashion.

mawarannahr posted:

exactly.

i mean i know the goal of the wannabe cop babies who kramer into the thread, extrapolate one post into fantasies of the murderous hordes (?) of deranged, slavering health zealots (??), and then whine about edge cases for pages on end is to stop all posting, because why bother. Why bother posting anything at all.

not every loving topic requires a Policy. there is literally nowhere else on this subforum that even APPROACHES the level of scrutiny that simple, boring posts are subject to here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

hell yeah, representative-of-the-country states like Washington, New York and California!

a real fuckin slice-of-life of living in the ol' USA, my experience of having A Pharmacy and definitely NOT being nickle-and-dimed every step of every healthcare interaction.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It's not going to be free soon, and it's expected to be priced at the equivalent of nearly two weeks of work for minimum wage workers.

So you should encourage people who read this thread to hoard it and speed up the point where it stops being free for everyone...?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

when you describe a person as a "public figure" it is an explicit framing of them generally being subject to speculation in this exact fashion.

exactly.

i mean i know the goal of the wannabe cop babies who kramer into the thread, extrapolate one post into fantasies of the murderous hordes (?) of deranged, slavering health zealots (??), and then whine about edge cases for pages on end is to stop all posting, because why bother. Why bother posting anything at all.

not every loving topic requires a Policy. there is literally nowhere else on this subforum that even APPROACHES the level of scrutiny that simple, boring posts are subject to here.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

*squints* why don't you want to get sick bro

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

speng31b posted:

it's part of a greater conversation on public health, profit before people, information control, propaganda, cognitive dissonance, any individual's limited vantage point in the system, etc etc. ultimately it's a question of epistemology as well---we are capable of connecting the dots without engaging in conspiracy or whatever, like in jetz0r & Paradoxish's posts. shutting it down is the same tactic taken (and mocked) begging RCTs for respirators or seatbelts or bridges.

Even if anyone does engage in broad generalizations connecting dots that may not be there, what is the danger? someone just posted a biden meme saying "Pills. Now. Please." with zero context. like every thread in cspam there's the entire spectrum between effort posts and shitposts here. hence the suggestion about modding D&D.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Poppers posted:

So you should encourage people who read this thread to hoard it and speed up the point where it stops being free for everyone...?

somewhere a pharmacist is calling a person with a paxlovid prescription and says "sorry, goons took all the paxlovid for their dragon hoard"

Baddog
May 12, 2001
wrt paxlovid, the underlying issue for me is that this thing has become SO politicized that on the one hand we have the government (and drug companies) telling us to just get paxlovid, "use the tool". And on the other hand, a metric shitload of doctors are incredibly reluctant to do so, for whatever reason.

I did bring it up with my former PCP, and he said "I dunno what the guidelines even are right now, we'll just have to look when you get sick and see what the company says then mmmkay". Also unprompted, he popped out some line about "nobody knows how pandemics work" and started going off on a weird tangent??? Now, fortunately, I did have the ability to find a new in-network doctor. But not everyone has that sort of insurance, or even the time to go sane-doctor-shopping. And even with my new doctor, trying to get a prescription from her within a few days (especially over the weekend) is pretty low chance. That *normally* wouldn't matter, but when you are supposed to start the drug within 5 days of symptom onset, and it takes 2 days to get PCR results and 3 days to get an answer from your doctor.... it's going to be real tight.

The teledoc systems can be helpful in those scenarios. But they are also populated with ivermectin dispensers, so it is useful to know that official covid high risk criteria includes things like having a BMI > 25.

Yes, please have the "if I get covid will you give me paxlovid" conversation with your actual doctor ahead of time, not just the forums (if you are lucky enough to have an actual doctor). And discuss any real issues like drug contraindications or liver/kidney issues with them. The time to talk about it is when you are healthy, not when you are feeling like absolute poo poo and stressing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

We've recently been helping my partner's parents fix and renovate a condo so they can have somewhere not horrific to live and the lady who runs the HOA is basically the worst, creepiest, most annoying blinds peeker I've ever encountered. The people who come into this thread have been really interesting as a case study into her origin story.