Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Got elden ring running and drat it works so well on deck. Perfect plane game imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think I used this guide, reddit link incoming: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/ You can also set the mouse to work in deck mode if you feel like it. It also gives you pointers for setting up individual games on Steam Rom Manager, but I haven't tried that yet.

I was just about to post this; it works quite well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Time posted:

Got elden ring running and drat it works so well on deck. Perfect plane game imo

drat i never found the plane in that game

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weedle posted:

drat i never found the plane in that game

It’s what you’re standing on when you fight the last boss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Time posted:

Yeah I just wish it would hit a locked 40. It’s a perfect 30 but it just can’t do a steady 40.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SavageMessiah posted:

Left trackpad is for radial menus. Played a ton of opus magnum and having the instructions on a radial menu was slick.

Can't you use one of the rear buttons as a toggle for a radial menu? Then just use the left stick to select. That seems faster and more ergonomic than the left trackpad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress, my Steam Deck might be broken again.

I was at work yesterday and it was fully charged around 11am, I turned it on and tried to use the work wifi as a test, wasn't working since it has a secondary login and apparently they won't issue SSL certs on a deck, and I was too lazy to bother putting in a VPN. So I just put it in sleep, toss it back in the bag. Today around 2pm, it's dead, as in zero battery. I plug it back in with the official plug and it boots up fine, but it's now 4:30 and still 0%. The battery is no longer holding charge or it's discharging faster than it charges.

What the gently caress.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Something I just realised might be non-obvious to people:

If you are having trouble running a Linux game from Itchio, import it into steam however you like and then under the compatibility options select

Steam Linux Runtime

Explanation:

Basically a lot of games get released and it's assumed that the libraries on the system are fine, but then... the games do not get updated, so steam downloads a lot of older versions of e.g. the C library, SDL1/2, etc. and runs it with them instead of the host system libraries. Works a treat for most linux binaries from Humble, Itch, etc. where the porters or the indie devs haven't bothered to update them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fuzz posted:

gently caress, my Steam Deck might be broken again.

I was at work yesterday and it was fully charged around 11am, I turned it on and tried to use the work wifi as a test, wasn't working since it has a secondary login and apparently they won't issue SSL certs on a deck, and I was too lazy to bother putting in a VPN. So I just put it in sleep, toss it back in the bag. Today around 2pm, it's dead, as in zero battery. I plug it back in with the official plug and it boots up fine, but it's now 4:30 and still 0%. The battery is no longer holding charge or it's discharging faster than it charges.

What the gently caress.

If you do `sudo dmesg > some_file_name.txt` and then send it to me via dms i can go over it with u if u want? That sounds wild and frustrating.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Fuzz posted:

What the gently caress.

Spitballing here, but try chucking it into battery storage mode then pull it back out of that?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

If you are having trouble running a Linux game from Itchio, import it into steam however you like and then under the compatibility options select

Steam Linux Runtime

Explanation:

Basically a lot of games get released and it's assumed that the libraries on the system are fine, but then... the games do not get updated, so steam downloads a lot of older versions of e.g. the C library, SDL1/2, etc. and runs it with them instead of the host system libraries. Works a treat for most linux binaries from Humble, Itch, etc. where the porters or the indie devs haven't bothered to update them.

There’s an import button in Heroic Launcher for my GOG library. Would it work the same way? I’m still very much a Linux newbie.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a way to get notified when/if the refurb SteamDecks are available again?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

alexandriao posted:

That's good advice for Linux games on GOG/itch.io, but not necessarily for flatpaks or appimages since those use their internal libraries anyways and the platform ones are only needed for bootstrapping.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Installing the GOG version of Metal Gear Solid 2 did not launch at all, going to try importing it to my Deck.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Man, I'm having an issue where my Steam deck hard-locks a few seconds after coming out of sleep mode consistently enough to be a problem.

It's not wifi related nor SD-card related, it can happen even when no game is running, and I usually get about 2 seconds of functionality before things grind to a halt and I have to hold the power button.

Anybody got ideas besides factory reset / RMA as to how to fix this?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Has anyone got Chrome video hardware decode working currently? I used to have it working and then when pissing about with my chrome install (spotify was crying about no DRM despite it being enabled), blew away the whole folder. As a result, I lost whatever configuration file/settings I had that made it happen.

I'm pretty sure I did what's outlined in this post, but can't seem to make it work again either via the .conf file or by chrome://flags and setting them in there (I'm not sure Chrome is even grabbing the contents of that .conf file). Whatever combo I choose, it's still decoding in software. I'm wondering whether something has changed in Chrome versions to stop it or if I'm missing part of the puzzle that's required now.

e: desktop mode, I don't care about running Chrome in game mode. I just want to free up as much of this poor CPU as I can for late-game EU4

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 22, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for anyone who cares, Unreal 2 seems to be fixed on Proton/Steam deck. Previously the lighting was broken and the game was basically unplayable but it looks fine now. Stutters a bit but it's definitely playable.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I've given up hope and resubbed to gamepass ultimate as my only method of playing Starfield. Man I am hype in a weirdly nostalgic 10 years ago hype for skyrim way.

I'll keep an eye on the steam deck performance but lets be honest. It's not going to be a good time at launch is it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mgs5 runs incredibly, incredibly well on the deck. perfect 60fps on high settings and eats battery at about half the rate of the other aaa games i've played on here recently. also this is the best third person shooter i've ever played

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LeFishy posted:

I've given up hope and resubbed to gamepass ultimate as my only method of playing Starfield. Man I am hype in a weirdly nostalgic 10 years ago hype for skyrim way.

I'll keep an eye on the steam deck performance but lets be honest. It's not going to be a good time at launch is it?

it's going to run like absolute poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

and on deck lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weedle posted:

mgs5 runs incredibly, incredibly well on the deck. perfect 60fps on high settings and eats battery at about half the rate of the other aaa games i've played on here recently. also this is the best third person shooter i've ever played

Say what you want about that game, but MGS5 is incredibly well optimized on everything it was made for. Even the PS3/360 versions are a locked 60fps. A real shame that Fox Engine was doomed to PES games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Say what you want about that game, but MGS5 is incredibly well optimized on everything it was made for. Even the PS3/360 versions are a locked 60fps. A real shame that Fox Engine was doomed to PES games.

Wasn't it 30fps on Xbox One? I remember there being a whole thing about that since it was 60 on PS4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh I just checked. It’s 60fps/900p on Xbox One and 30fps on 360/PS3. Still. Well made game.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really liked the Fox engine PES games though. Such a shame they killed the only good football game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MGS5/GZ is so good. So, so good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

MGS5/GZ is so good. So, so good.

fultoning every guy and piece of ordnance that isn't nailed down before creeping away through the cliffs like the afghan grinch

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve got a huge hairline crack running across the screen bottom up right in the middle. I’ve never dropped it or scratched it, but something must have happened, maybe the kids or wife moving it.

The one saving grace is that when you look at the screen straight on you can’t see the crack, only when you’re looking at an angle. So I can put off installing a new screen for a while… though I’m still ordering the kit from ifixit.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

are y'all using the touchpad trackball mode for kb+m games and if so how do you deal with it

i've been trying to play old crpgs again but constantly having to move the "mouse" back and forth between tiny dialogue options and loot and inventory and all the things that don't have any sort of key support along with all the mouse clicking is just uncomfortable and frustrating to me and i still haven't found a good solution that doesn't strain the hands.

:) Hi does anybody use an X or Y axis locking element in a control scheme? Tactical nexus for example is top-down grid-frozen. It has an intended mouse control scheme and the UI doesn't have snap-to feature. Great candidate for steam input improvement. I was thinking: left trackpad as scroll wheel; click changes axis. Anybody do something like this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LeFishy posted:

At the very least you’d be able to stream it :shrug:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you could port alpha protocol to the fox engine you'd instantly have the greatest game of all time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you could port alpha protocol to the fox engine you'd instantly have the greatest game of all time.

omg

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

There’s an import button in Heroic Launcher for my GOG library. Would it work the same way? I’m still very much a Linux newbie.

I think so if you're launching it through steam

The difficulty is when the command to start it is mapped to a command that asks e.g. lutris to run it — in that instance it's going to start under the flatpak and, well, ouchie

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alpha Protocol would be a great game to play on deck…

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Nam Taf posted:

Has anyone got Chrome video hardware decode working currently? I used to have it working and then when pissing about with my chrome install (spotify was crying about no DRM despite it being enabled), blew away the whole folder. As a result, I lost whatever configuration file/settings I had that made it happen.

I'm pretty sure I did what's outlined in this post, but can't seem to make it work again either via the .conf file or by chrome://flags and setting them in there (I'm not sure Chrome is even grabbing the contents of that .conf file). Whatever combo I choose, it's still decoding in software. I'm wondering whether something has changed in Chrome versions to stop it or if I'm missing part of the puzzle that's required now.

e: desktop mode, I don't care about running Chrome in game mode. I just want to free up as much of this poor CPU as I can for late-game EU4

You'll have to piss about with flatseal to disable interlocks that stop it from direct GPU access I think

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Woo managed to fix my aborts-on-every-startup BG3 by muckin' around with back-end save dirs!

Not recommended, but beats a reinstall / reimage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to find a good config to steal for BG3. The one I’m using now doesn’t have space bound, which is ridiculous.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I need to find a good config to steal for BG3. The one I’m using now doesn’t have space bound, which is ridiculous.

Try the actual controller scheme?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandolphCarter posted:

Try the actual controller scheme?

Yeah, using the actual controller method changes everything, not the least being the UI and menus. My wife is playing on her laptop with m+kb, I'm on the deck with controls, and our UIs are almost 100% different, and work for their respective setup.

Controller UI has radial menus for a lot of it, and it works. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Has anyone attempted to install Waydroid to play Android games? Worth the trouble?