Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

hell yeah, representative-of-the-country states like Washington, New York and California!

a real fuckin slice-of-life of living in the ol' USA, my experience of having A Pharmacy and definitely NOT being nickle-and-dimed every step of every healthcare interaction.

I'm just speaking of the states I have experience with because I or family members live in those states, or I help run studies in those states. Paxlovid is free federally right now (and from what I've read there will be federal programs to keep it low cost even after it's not free in the Fall which is stupid and bad but I don't think it's going to be impossible to obtain for most people still) and there are low cost resources in this thread's OP for accessing paxlovid quickly.

I guess I just can't see "stockpiling paxlovid" as anything other than a solution in search of a problem that could have serious problems of its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I guess I just can't see "stockpiling paxlovid" as anything other than a solution in search of a problem that could have serious problems of its own.

well the problem is covid and that does have serious problems of its own

thankfully though COVID is over and we have the tools

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
dont horde prescription medication and always consult a medical professional

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it's your body, don't rely on a piece of poo poo who maintained a c average in medical school to keep you alive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

There is compelling evidence that masks and seatbelts work and that drunk driving is ridiculously dangerous.

I know the point you're trying to make which is the idea that one does not need to do an RCT of parachutes to know that they work. That is to say that there are other evidentiary standards that should be sufficient for causality. But, I would note that cancer is not nearly as simple as a parachute or drunk driving or a seatbelt. Cancer is not a monolith, but the cause of many cancers is a combination of tons of genetic, environmental, dietary, etc. factors interacting over the lifespan which is very different from a car crash or someone coming down with an infectious disease where the cause is much more easily observable.

I am urging caution in the absence of evidence that COVID is in fact causing cancer (at least in a new or more dangerous way compared to other diseases).

There's a pile of virally caused cancers so the idea of a virus causing cancer is not surprising. For some areas of the world such as Uganda, virally caused cancer encompasses about 20% of cancer.

Wear a mask. Avoid situations where you'd get covid. It's only been a few years and with long covid tearing so many people up, there's no reason to not be wary of it.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Aug 21, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

corsi technique makes an appearance in public health

https://publichealthinsider.com/2023/08/21/tips-for-clean-air-indoors-on-smoky-days-a-public-health-comic/

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Baddog posted:

wrt paxlovid, the underlying issue for me is that this thing has become SO politicized that on the one hand we have the government (and drug companies) telling us to just get paxlovid, "use the tool". And on the other hand, a metric shitload of doctors are incredibly reluctant to do so, for whatever reason.

exactly---which is why the current SAD complaint is transparent and specious. it's the only reactive tool available right now considering present vaccine efficacy.

quote:

Yes, please have the "if I get covid will you give me paxlovid" conversation with your actual doctor ahead of time, not just the forums (if you are lucky enough to have an actual doctor). And discuss any real issues like drug contraindications or liver/kidney issues with them. The time to talk about it is when you are healthy, not when you are feeling like absolute poo poo and stressing out.

the last OP spelled this out in detail! and members would typically caveat their posts with this info, almost every time. it's so old hat in this thread that it has not been included, but sure, yes, it should be. you're in a den of compassionate and often disabled people, many (most?) not able to be computer touching remote workers, whose goal is solely to protect their loved ones. SAD is complaining in their chat thread that people are "hoarding" (1-2 treatments!) of Paxlovid and pushing this treatment on people with no consideration.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Harik posted:

it's your body, don't rely on a piece of poo poo who maintained a c average in medical school to keep you alive.

you should trust medical professionals OP

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

My policy is, as ever: keep your air intake clean, and unless you have a dewormer idiot, leave anything under the hood to those folks, and in the former case, find someone else.

silicone thrills posted:

There's a pile of virally caused cancers so the idea of a virus causing cancer is not surprising. For some areas of the world such as Uganda, virally caused cancer encompasses about 20% of cancer.

While I personally don't know about the oncovirus poo poo, the one I worry about is some sort of gnarly viral delayed action poo poo like EB or chickenpox.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
cross posting from a SAD thread

Posting about giving away prescription drugs is not okay in the COVID thread, and CK09 is already probed for it. discussing about why people are hoarding seems to fit within a political discussion and seems okay to me. posting about ways to hoard that isn't done via a prescription (or that involves lying or lying through omission) is not okay either. don't lie to your doctor.

concert posting is not okay. it's in the rules because it generates weird posts. missed the post from earlier today.

no, no one should lie to doctors. phone posting on break so i haven't caught them all, but more probes will be coming for that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you should trust medical professionals OP
im doctor Mehmet oz. pleased to meet you.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
exceptional timing to remind posters who don't read that there was Actually Real discussion of "stockpiling" or "hoarding" anything

there was! Rosalind said so!!

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

mahler_biryani posted:

Well gently caress my kid popped positive on a RAT. This is first for any of us to the best of our knowledge. As I mentioned we are currently traveling and for the past week, my wife and kid were elsewhere, so I can continue staying in a separate room but my wife has been exposed for days by now, but we can hope…

Ugh. I know we have taken higher risks than thread recommends but still sucks.

this loving sucks and godspeed on every front. hopefully no long term issues.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

You should steal Paxlovid from the pharmacy and stick it up your rear end :evilbuddy:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

exceptional timing to remind posters who don't read that there was Actually Real discussion of "stockpiling" or "hording" anything

there was! Rosalind said so!!

Exactly, nobody is "stockpiling" Paxlovid or encouraging anyone to blindly take it. It's once again a narrative manufactured by the people looking to get this thread shut down. They're deliberately and disingenuously interpreting casual language in the most bad faith way possible. It's "Lisa's going to marry a carrot" horseshit.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Exactly, nobody is "stockpiling" Paxlovid or encouraging anyone to blindly take it. It's once again a narrative manufactured by the people looking to get this thread shut down. They're deliberately and disingenuously interpreting casual language in the most bad faith way possible. It's "Lisa's going to marry a carrot" horseshit.

Nearly every post I make here is interpreted in the most bad faith way possible so welcome to the club it sucks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Absolutely cannot understand the logic of "hate reading" a thread anymore.

Go read something you enjoy!

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Keeping multiple boxes of Paxlovid at any one time even when you haven't contracted covid (and might never depending on how extreme your caution is) is hoarding, even if it's not dozens of boxes.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

I wish I could be surprised by the number of people angry that people still take this pandemic seriously.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

Nearly every post I make here is interpreted in the most bad faith way possible so welcome to the club it sucks.

I'm not talking about you fwiw.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is it hoarding advil when i keep a bottle of it around in case I get a headache?

Is it hoarding nyquil/dayquil if I keep boxes of it around when I don't have a cold????

Tylenol has some of the absolute loving worst side effects and will destroy your liver. Oh gently caress I have a bottle of tylenol. I'm hoarding a dangerous drug.

edit: I have narcan in my cabinet despite not being an addict. IM HOARDING. IM HOARDING OVER HERE.

edit: I looked in my cabinet and I also still have some SSRIs from all the times my doctor was throwing poo poo at the wall trying to find something that worked.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Aug 21, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
jesus christ

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rosalind posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think you have added a tremendous amount of good posts and level headed commentary in just the last week you've posted itt alone.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I know, that's my point.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think you have added a tremendous amount of good posts and level headed commentary in just the last week you've posted itt alone.

Yeah same, I think rosalind is a good poster even if I think they're a touch naive about the system, folks are still a bit jumpy after the weird dipshits last time... or this time.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

silicone thrills posted:

Is it hoarding advil when i keep a bottle of it around in case I get a headache?

Is it hoarding nyquil/dayquil if I keep boxes of it around when I don't have a cold????

Tylenol has some of the absolute loving worst side effects and will destroy your liver. Oh gently caress I have a bottle of tylenol. I'm hoarding a dangerous drug.

Those are over the counter medications.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I don't think prescription chat should be allowed period, and that seems to be the policy. either report, pm or gently caress off.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah same, I think rosalind is a good poster even if I think they're a touch naive about the system, folks are still a bit jumpy after the weird dipshits last time... or this time.

they literally work in the system.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

they literally work in the system.

which system :tinfoil:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I'm just speaking of the states I have experience with because I or family members live in those states, or I help run studies in those states. Paxlovid is free federally right now (and from what I've read there will be federal programs to keep it low cost even after it's not free in the Fall which is stupid and bad but I don't think it's going to be impossible to obtain for most people still) and there are low cost resources in this thread's OP for accessing paxlovid quickly.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

What "system" are we talking about here? I'm an academic epidemiologist who works on NIH-funded studies.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

:thejoke:
(im not actually a tin foil hat person)

I did work for a cancer research center that did a ton of specifically virally based cancer study though which definitely opened my eyes to how many diseases lead to cancer or other nasty poo poo later. Not as a doctor, more admin but they required us to attend at least 1 talk a month for a few years for me. IT was a big reason why with covid I took it very seriously from day one and have continued to take it seriously.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Aug 21, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
academia is evil...

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rosalind posted:

What "system" are we talking about here? I'm an academic epidemiologist who works on NIH-funded studies.

big... state university?

Cuttlefush posted:

academia is evil...

I can't argue with this though. I seen it from the insides I did.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

doc tried to write me a prescription for ivermectin, zinc, and quercetin

fukking quack. quercetin? everyone knows you want rutin and not quercetin

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I got paxlovid and have to stop rinvoq until I’m fever free for 24 hours

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bedpan posted:

doc tried to write me a prescription for ivermectin, zinc, and quercetin

fukking quack. quercetin? everyone knows you want rutin and not quercetin

All doctors are perfect who never make bad or wrong decisions and have no political pressure.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Buffer posted:

big... state university?

A big public university, but not a state university.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Glumwheels posted:

I got paxlovid and have to stop rinvoq until I’m fever free for 24 hours

Feel better bud but do let your doc know if your Crohn's flares up so they can give you a little steroid or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
There’s a discussion to be had about the differences between practicing clinicians, researchers, and policymakers but it’s drowned out by bad faith forum cops so we;lp