Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

tylenol really should be more regulated. no way it would get to be otc like it is and jammed into everything in the us if it wasnt old and big

its a us thing because its basically used as a panacea for all the poo poo that owns you but you still have to go to work/wherever. iirc europeans don't have remotely the tablet amounts(or mg per pill which push right up against the limit) you can get otc here

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rosalind posted:

Thank you. I apologize for being a bit harsh in my replies as well.

You know a week ago I thought this thread shouldn't exist. I no longer believe that. It's generally benign and I think most people here are posting genuinely and considerately. I came in here expecting to be driven out with pitchforks and torches but mostly people are chill.

I don't subscribe to the particular sense of a doomed, crumbling society that many people in this thread do. I think the US is a big mess and awful in a million ways but I fundamentally have the naïve and doe-eyed hope that it will get better. As a queer woman and second generation immigrant living in a blue city in a blue state, I feel safer now than I did 20 years ago. I recognize I have a lot of privileges though in that regard and in terms of my employment, education, etc that insulate me from the worst of the realities of modern America. I will try to better consider this when I write my posts.

Still, I am going to continue posting from my perspective as long as I am welcome to do so. I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

Hahahha, I started like you as someone who trusted the system, we'll have you shopping for a secure click yet. Welcome to the thread and enjoy your crack ping.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Aug 21, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Rosalind posted:

Nearly every post I make here is interpreted in the most bad faith way possible so welcome to the club it sucks.

fosborb posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think you have added a tremendous amount of good posts and level headed commentary in just the last week you've posted itt alone.

I'm trying to catch up on my break and I want to make sure this is echoed and heard. Rosalind I hope you stick around.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

You know a week ago I thought this thread shouldn't exist. I no longer believe that. It's generally benign and I think most people here are posting genuinely and considerately. I came in here expecting to be driven out with pitchforks and torches but mostly people are chill.

I don't subscribe to the particular sense of a doomed, crumbling society that many people in this thread do. I think the US is a big mess and awful in a million ways but I fundamentally have the naïve and doe-eyed hope that it will get better. As a queer woman and second generation immigrant living in a blue city in a blue state, I feel safer now than I did 20 years ago. I recognize I have a lot of privileges though in that regard and in terms of my employment, education, etc that insulate me from the worst of the realities of modern America. I will try to better consider this when I write my posts.

Still, I am going to continue posting from my perspective as long as I am welcome to do so. I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

Glad to have you. Always love having new serious posters in thread.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Early in the pandemic I was gifted a supply of hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin by an in-law doctor just in case I caugh covid later.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Early in the pandemic I was gifted a supply of hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin by an in-law doctor just in case I caugh covid later.

you took that out of a sheep's mouth

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Phigs posted:

I think, ultimately, people are just going to have to accept that this thread is going to be skeptical of medical authorities. We've seen doctors prescribing Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine and all sorts of quackery. We see doctors recommend against masking in public. We've seen doctors recommend cloth masks over n95 respirators. This whole entire pandemic is multiple levels of authority and the medical field showing its rear end. We're living through a horrifically, horrifically mismanaged pandemic. Listen to doctors is just bullshit in this climate.

It's a good idea in general to listen to medical practitioners. But there needs to be a place to discuss the possibility that individual doctors are wrong. There are lines that should not be crossed, but I think we can attack those as they come. I don't think a blanket rule of trust doctors is good for the thread. If someone comes in here saying their doctor prescribed them Ivermectin for COVID are we just supposed to go "listen to your doctor"? What if their doctor says Paxlovid is unnecessary because they're fit? That's bullshit some doctors do say. If their doctor says it's bad because of meds they're taking or their condition or what have you, then absolutely they need to listen to their doctor. But if their doctor is just making straight up ignorant claims the thread should be able to point out those claims are ignorant.

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine. You should of course find a different doctor if your current ones say that. You should also report them to their board as no competent doctor should be prescribing those as a current course of care. Prescribing those is absolutely not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations. But if a doctor tells you Paxlovid is unnecessary for you then that is not wrong advice!

You and everyone else in this thread are NOT health care professionals. To use this idea that some tiny percentage of doctors have told you to do the wrong thing and thus take that as a talking point for "all physicians are bad and you should second guess every one" like you are saying here, is completely ignorant and dangerous. These "jokes" are the poo poo that needs to change culture wise in this thread.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

That makes no sense then. She prescribed all my meds, so why are they having a problem now with paxlovid? The doctor signed off on it.

Garbage loving gate keeping system

If I had to guess its because the EUA ended and insurance companies will take any and all excuse (or none at all!) to try to avoid paying for something.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine. You should of course find a different doctor if your current ones say that. You should also report them to their board as no competent doctor should be prescribing those as a current course of care. Prescribing those is absolutely not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations. But if a doctor tells you Paxlovid is unnecessary for you then that is not wrong advice!

You and everyone else in this thread are NOT health care professionals. To use this idea that some tiny percentage of doctors have told you to do the wrong thing and thus take that as a talking point for "all physicians are bad and you should second guess every one" like you are saying here, is completely ignorant and dangerous. These "jokes" are the poo poo that needs to change culture wise in this thread.

reported this post for not trusting doctors

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Corrigenda posted:

You should also report them to their board as no competent doctor should be prescribing those as a current course of care.

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Corrigenda posted:

These "jokes" are the poo poo that needs to change culture wise in this thread.
make some jokes then

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
brb calling the state medical board on this thread

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

sonatinas posted:

calling up my concierge doc to get whatever I want and using my class position to hoover up resources which is acceptable.

wow, crazy, the doctor i have on retainer gives me any prescription i ask about. why doesn't everyone do this?????

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

How can you say that? Are you a licensed medical professional? This sounds like anti-social deranged poo poo and probably deserves a probe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tenderjerk posted:

they are gaming the system with selective hand wringing and it is enforced by mods that constantly seek the validation of everyone you mentioned in the thread you mentioned, im not going to say this thread cant be wack as all hell sometimes but the double standard in cspam is pathetic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

give me money from your trust fund

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Corrigenda posted:

please don't disparage doctors like this, they are all Very Serious

You know what else is not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations? Wearing a face mask of any sort or ventilating fresh air in healthcare/hospital settings in the midst of an ongoing pandemic driven by an airborne pathogen

What is though, is washing your hands.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

doctor told me that painkillers are unnecessary for black people because they don't have as many nerve endings in their skin as white people

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Why Am I So Tired posted:

lol at ibid's probation. They (Poppers, 16 BB, lald, etc.) literally have a thread where they discuss trolling and trying to get this thread shut down.

nobody is planning anything. theres a meta thread where people talk about cspam

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*concentrating on the soap and water from the spigot as hard as I can*

Twinkle twinkle little star

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
sweating profusely about whose credentials win between the historian and the doctors discussed this tangentially related good article about the history of diy trans healthcare

quote:

The story of DIY transition offers a more complex alternative to the zero-sum game in which today’s highly imperfect version of trans institutional medicine will either be banned or remain technically available but effectively inaccessible to most people. DIY asks us to consider whether institutional medicine is even a viable reference for trans people, or if the truth might be the reverse: trans medicine as we know it today should be judged in its efficacy and ethics against DIY. The latter has left a more meaningful imprint on trans people’s lives over the past century. The women of color who made the journey to Tijuana, many of whom were teenagers when they first arrived in San Francisco seeking a home, would not have benefited from the pediatric gender clinics that exist today; they would have been turned away at the door. Despite that, they were far from helpless, and they didn’t need rescuing. Their vision for unconditional care might be strong enough to ensure that the looming spread of criminalization, suffering, and violence does not define our collective future.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/doctors-who-gill-peterson

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

fosborb posted:

no, it means get a second opinion if your doctor wants to give you horse dewormer. you're going to have to anyway, as the only way to get paxlovid is have it prescribed.

Exactly, so you ignore the doctor that wants to give you horse dewormer

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Glumwheels posted:

That makes no sense then. She prescribed all my meds, so why are they having a problem now with paxlovid? The doctor signed off on it.

Garbage loving gate keeping system

I mean....for anyone wondering why the general advice was to get it beforehand, this is the whole reason right here. The thread advocated talking to your doctor and securing the antiviral bag before you get sick, because when you ARE sick they try to pull some access bullshit on you or climate change flooded the pharmacy or the doc gives you dewormer and homeopathic tinctures or straight up just says you are too young and fit for treatment when young and fit seems to have very little to do with the outcome. It's much harder to advocate for yourself when you are sick, and it's so time sensitive it's almost a guarantee you'll find out you need it outside of office hours or when your regular doc isn't around or if you don't have a doctor period.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's going to be really loving hilarious when the virus evolve a new subvariant that carries the paxlovid resistance and spread widely, rendering the drug ineffective and the entire current litigation over it is gonna be total pointless lol

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

I appreciate your posts!

And it did make me feel better to know you got the NE wastewater information relatively quickly. My cynical side was convinced they would bill you for several thousand dollars!

Interesting that they show a drop in eg5. Wastewater data does seem to be *extremely* variable, maybe contingent on just a few super-shedders? I haven't seen much discussion on that.

Sentinel testing in Colorado has eg5 at 30% as of the end of July.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Corrigenda posted:

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine.

Look at this person saying that two drugs with real-world uses should never be prescribed in any circumstances and people should ignore their doctors, this goon is going to get people KILLED from MALARIA, and quoting this totally out of context over and over again is a very fair reading of what they and all their weird SAD buddies think about medicine.

I hope mods act accordingly, given what a great job they are doing overall with this thread. Love the weekly brigading from a bunch of lawyerball idiots who derail the only COVID-related thread that was on top of what is now widely regarded as a new global surge in a still-lethal disease, I hope this endless noise makes it impossible to ever find information counter to the consensus that you should get sick and die ASAP.

But that won't happen because we wouldn't want to distract anyone from listening to all the big brained doctors at the WHO and CDC who declared an end to the emergency and gave said idiots the moral high ground to hoot and holler for the rest of time, while the word "EG.5" somehow never leaves their mouths, 10/10

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Baddog posted:

I appreciate your posts!

And it did make me feel better to know you got the NE wastewater information relatively quickly. My cynical side was convinced they would bill you for several thousand dollars!

Interesting that they show a drop in eg5. Wastewater data does seem to be *extremely* variable, maybe contingent on just a few super-shedders? I haven't seen much discussion on that.

Sentinel testing in Colorado has eg5 at 30% as of the end of July.

Yeah wastewater is a very kind of rule of thumb guideline and rather crappy (no pun intended) when you consider a single person has been responsible for like 90%+ of wastewater detected virus in no less than three separate metropolitan areas now.

salient
Jan 2, 2021

Corrigenda posted:

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine.

i still encounter long term care patients kept on hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis for covid lol

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Oracle posted:

Yeah wastewater is a very kind of rule of thumb guideline and rather crappy (no pun intended) when you consider a single person has been responsible for like 90%+ of wastewater detected virus in no less than three separate metropolitan areas now.

buy them an account

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

stumblebum posted:

buy them an account

Some chance they already post in this thread, considering how folks here have long covid.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
reveal yourself TOILETS CURE COVID

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Corrigenda posted:

you're advising people to ignore their doctors and not take prescribed medicine & doctor shop for another one. are you a medical professional who is qualified to interpret the guidance? who are you to judge doctor competence?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i have an MPH (I know just gently caress me up) and i've specifically not become and vowed never to become a Public Health Worker because the entire discipline has spent the last 3+ years making GBS threads its pants and then pulling those pants down to expose its entire poo poo-covered rear end as an institutional steward of capital and hegemony.

The depth and breadth of human knowledge (to which I'm sure many individual members contribute a great deal!! I did! It sounds like Rosalind does!) that exists and that these institutions not only DECLINE to utilize, but rather elect to utilize AGAINST US, is breathtaking. It's the ultimate stereotype, to have your brain breaked from first hand experience.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I too, albeit in training. Don't know what I do now, but the degree of despair watching the ruination of my field has been... breathtaking.

We've got transmission of loving malaria in the mainland US again, loving malaria. If that thing gets back in, we'll never be rid of it.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

salient posted:

i still encounter long term care patients kept on hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis for covid lol

That is really concerning!

Anyway, I'm very off base per the replies. My apologies if I said things wrong or in an unkind edit:manner. I don't want this thread to get shutdown, and it just appeared to be retreading ground that lead to the reopening of the SAD thread.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Corrigenda posted:

That is really concerning!

Anyway, I'm very off base per the replies. My apologies if I said things wrong or in an unkind. I don't want this thread to get shutdown, and it just appeared to be retreading ground that lead to the reopening of the SAD thread.

edit: Thanks for the mea culpa

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Aug 21, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

at least they believe it's worth doing something about covid

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for this frank post. I will acknowledge for my own part that living in a deeply insane, deeply red state lends a fair bit of doom and catastrophic urgency to a lot of my sentiments. I'm watching queer friends and parents of trans kids, for instance, literally upturning their lives and fleeing the state or the country entirely because it's getting so bad here. But it's not that bad everywhere.
I've disagreed with folks in the thread, sometimes very strongly so, and I don't think anyone is going to mind that kind of thing as long as they're not constantly suspecting bad faith sealion and concern troll attacks which has everyone too jumpy and pissed off.
In the end this thread is about mutual aid, sometimes useful info, and emotional support where the systems that should be doing that job are failing us, full stop.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Funny story. I was looking for it on Twitter but couldn't find it, so I searched google for

code:
site:forums.somethingawful.com "welcome back" transition
which gave me:

Then chopped up the video after the one linked. Goonuroboros.

lol nice. It is a thing of beauty. Thank you for cutting and saving it!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
please don't probe me for saying this, I know I'm an enemy in this thread, but I legitimately don't think the covid thread changed my avatar to my address, I would like that to be said publicly, because I know how it looks. I have a stalker who is obsessed with me, and I don't even really think it has anything to do with SomethingAwful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Boba Pearl posted:

please don't probe me for saying this, I know I'm an enemy in this thread, but I legitimately don't think the covid thread changed my avatar to my address, I would like that to be said publicly, because I know how it looks. I have a stalker who is obsessed with me, and I don't even really think it has anything to do with SomethingAwful.

Yeah that poo poo sucked.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Aug 21, 2023