Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tainted pact since it also can lead to immediate wins

edit: oh tainted pact is only banned in historic brawl, not regular historic. weird. make my vote thassa's oracle then for the exact same reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Can you stone brain channel quick enough right now?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MasterBuilder posted:

I was trying out the yawgmoth deck to see if it was worth spending wildcards on but the first 5 games I played were against channel decks, so yeah, I kinda stopped playing after that.

If channel was banned what do you think is the next strongest card and how does it compare to channel.

I guess I'm a little sympathetic but this event just really isn't the "test stuff out to see if it's worth spending wildcards" event, it's the "gently caress around with all the degenerate combos that you will never ever get to actually do in any sort of serious context" event. Somebody who has heard of channel bullshit, missed out on ever actually being able to experience channel bullshit, that's the core audience for this event. You cannot remove channel from it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

reignonyourparade posted:

I guess I'm a little sympathetic but this event just really isn't the "test stuff out to see if it's worth spending wildcards" event, it's the "gently caress around with all the degenerate combos that you will never ever get to actually do in any sort of serious context" event. Somebody who has heard of channel bullshit, missed out on ever actually being able to experience channel bullshit, that's the core audience for this event. You cannot remove channel from it.

Not enough degenerate cards if it’s all channel all the time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spell pierce/counterspell and archon of emeria can fight channel. you can swords whatever they get unless it's emrakul. but yeah people have caught onto channel as the day has gone on.

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 21, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow this is a really amazing mode, wish we got it more often. I'm not actually in the mood to play much today but I did want to finally try some of the wish-decks I had sitting around needing 50 wildcards. I picked one at random in quest colours, didn't even look at it beyond deck name "fastwins budgetlands" which I think is a historic or pioneer deck ai can't afford even w budget lands.

Does what it says on the tin! Either I poo poo out big dragons and win fast or I don't and they win.

I can also see why they don't give us the event that often. Had this deck sitting for a year but after playing it 4 times and having seen at least half the cards in the deck played In kinda good on it. Reckon 4 games is about enough to have the fun of a deck but also be fine never playing it again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How powerful is Thassa's Oracle in the current Historic pool, all the legacy decks I see using it rely on pieces not in historic anyway

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How powerful is Thassa's Oracle in the current Historic pool, all the legacy decks I see using it rely on pieces not in historic anyway

Tainted Pact was a very strong deck when Oracle was legal, and also had the annoyance of clicking through every card in your deck while resolving Pact itself, but with Oracle banned it relies only on Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and is far weaker.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never rely on Jace.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only thing wrong with no ban historic is that it's not best of three

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

MasterBuilder posted:

I was trying out the yawgmoth deck to see if it was worth spending wildcards on but the first 5 games I played were against channel decks, so yeah, I kinda stopped playing after that.

If channel was banned what do you think is the next strongest card and how does it compare to channel.

I was super interested in that Yawg deck and did make the list -- I play only on my phone and want to tell you it is a decidedly repetitive list to play on the smaller screen. If blood artist ever gets changed to "smart targeting," it would help IMMENSELY.

Such a fun, fun deck to play. Just so, so many actions to take.

Edit -- accepting any cool answers, but, is there any deck that wants to ping themselves with Blood Artist? I know it's just antiquated wording most likely, but also love a good edge case.

Standingstoic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2023

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Standingstoic posted:

I was super interested in that Yawg deck and did make the list -- I play only on my phone and want to tell you it is a decidedly repetitive list to play on the smaller screen. If blood artist ever gets changed to "smart targeting," it would help IMMENSELY.

Edit -- accepting any cool answers, but, is there any deck that wants to ping themselves with Blood Artist? I know it's just antiquated wording most likely, but also love a good edge case.

Blood Artist is changed to target opponent in Historic but part of the no bans thing is that the changed cards are all their print versions.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

kalel posted:

the only thing wrong with no ban historic is that it's not best of three

Nah, it's that they did it before printing and banning Blood Moon rather than after.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Wake up, babe. New Generous Gift just dropped.

this feels crazy pushed what the gently caress

also instant speed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ex post facho posted:

also instant speed

It's Beast Within but you don't get to ponza your opponent. In exchange the creature you give them is smaller.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Standingstoic posted:

Are you running 1 of each blood artist and zulaport cutthroat? On mobile I would run two zulaport to avoid the clicks. If I got stone brained, unmoored ego'd or declared in stone well good beats.

As for pinging yourself, vilis would draw you cards if you were out of mana to activate his ability. Vampire scrivener would get a counter for each instance of life gain and damage which would be cool.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ex post facho posted:

also instant speed

they've printed basically this card for decades, at least since Mercadian Masques. Lorwyn had Crib Swap, it's not that wild an effect for white to have

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
hmm, I never played new phyrexia so I missed that iteration. Idk, not used to seeing white have strong-rear end instant speed removal like that with an extremely minor downside, a 1/1 seems a lot easier to deal with than a 3/3

I'm also a little salty about it existing alongside poo poo like Soul Partition and stuff like Lay Down Arms i guess :mad:

e: and White Sun's Twilight, and Sunfall...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you use this on a curse on your creature, do they get the human or do you?

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

MasterBuilder posted:

Are you running 1 of each blood artist and zulaport cutthroat? On mobile I would run two zulaport to avoid the clicks. If I got stone brained, unmoored ego'd or declared in stone well good beats.

As for pinging yourself, vilis would draw you cards if you were out of mana to activate his ability. Vampire scrivener would get a counter for each instance of life gain and damage which would be cool.

I may have made a mistake here from practicing in bot matches while I was learning. It may be easier than advertised. Kudos for pointing that out.

I'm playing 3/1 artist//cutthroat, but the nature of the chord build tends to show you both in a game just as a means to speed things up. It legit maybe be better just to play the cutthroat, as people are more aware of blood artist in from that 1BB Alchemy enchantment.

I'm 100% still learning some nuances of the deck, but can anyone who plays it in paper in any capacity maybe explain how it usually goes in paper? Do a lot of people ask you to iterate it out?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ex post facho posted:

also instant speed

It's dogshit

Khanstant posted:

If you use this on a curse on your creature, do they get the human or do you?

A Cursed Role? Whoever put it there in the first place is a who controls the role.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 22, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

It's dogshit

can you elaborate?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
three mana removal in white isn't very strong in general
it might see some standard play since there aren't a ton of other options, but as soon as you get into wider card pools it'd get edged out pretty quickly

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ex post facho posted:

can you elaborate?

I'm looking at it through the lens of limited where giving your opponent back some material with your removal is pretty bad. Ravenform in Kaldheim sucked real bad, same with Witness Protection in SNC.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ex post facho posted:

hmm, I never played new phyrexia so I missed that iteration. Idk, not used to seeing white have strong-rear end instant speed removal like that with an extremely minor downside, a 1/1 seems a lot easier to deal with than a 3/3

I'm also a little salty about it existing alongside poo poo like Soul Partition and stuff like Lay Down Arms i guess :mad:

e: and White Sun's Twilight, and Sunfall...

you are underestimating how much value your opponent can get out of a 1/1. in general trading one of your pieces of cardboard for one of theirs and leaving them something in return is bad deal for you. you need to be getting something out of the tempo swing to not come out behind in the long term

Lone Goat posted:

I'm looking at it through the lens of limited where giving your opponent back some material with your removal is pretty bad. Ravenform in Kaldheim sucked real bad, same with Witness Protection in SNC.

that said i dont think this is THAT bad, at the very least its much better than ravenform. that was creature and artifact only, sorcery speed, and gave the 1/1 flying. instant speed giving it blowout potential so you dont always come out behind seems particularly important

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
lmao in the no bans historic event, playing a "dark ritual, demonic tutor, mizzek's mastery into dragonstorm" deck i just had an opening hand of with two of my dark rituals and a dragonstorm, faithless looting my way into my third dark ritual, then draw for turn on turn two was the fourth dark ritual

jaw dropping lower and lower with every draw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you want to have fun during this silly event? I don't think so

threw together some counterspell vomit and it's easy wins while people try to do poo poo with banned cards and then I just counter the core part of their master plan when they go to turn 2 emrakul or whatever. except if they get a bunch of fields of the dead going, of course, that's a problem

it's in theory a fun event but I've only run into 3 kinds of decks, and two of them are channel variants(channel -> :blastu: and channel -> eldrazi) the third being field of the dead shenanigans, instantaneous queues so real easy to bang out daily wins in absolute no time at all if that's what you want

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 22, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Captain Invictus posted:

really really loving smart play by wotc though with this event to get people burning wildcards on banned cards.

you dont need to spend wildcards on this event

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Was super busy yesterday and didn’t have time to get on, how long does the super busted fun times event last?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's currently listed with no timer countdown so probably at least another day or two.

Jabor posted:

you dont need to spend wildcards on this event
ah, didn't notice that part.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Judgy Fucker posted:

Was super busy yesterday and didn’t have time to get on, how long does the super busted fun times event last?
I wish they made this poo poo clearer instead of hiding it at the very bottom of the announcements. The information is freely obtainable (and announced through the new mail system with a pop-up!), would it really hurt their ~fomo engagement~ to just put the loving schedule into the app?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-august-21-2023?utm_medium=product&utm_source=arena

The event lasts three whole weeks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I should build an Uro-Nissa deck for this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

you want to have fun during this silly event? I don't think so

threw together some counterspell vomit and it's easy wins while people try to do poo poo with banned cards and then I just counter the core part of their master plan when they go to turn 2 emrakul or whatever. except if they get a bunch of fields of the dead going, of course, that's a problem

you're doing our lord and savior jace's work op

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Current speedrun winstreak record is 4 wins in 2 minutes. Four games of green dual -> green dual -> channel -> oops it got spell pierced -> concede

I might actually log in every day to do this to get the easy full 15 daily gold/xp/cards rewards if this keeps up. It's insane they're keeping this around for THREE WEEKS lol

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Fyi incase it comes up for anyone else: when playing in cube the game did not give me priority to kill a Sheoldred with an instant before my draw step (at 2 life). Did get a refund, but feel like I could have pulled the game back if I had gone to full control.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

casting channel in 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLtscWMnpM

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This event is the first time I've had any real contact with it, and Orcish Bowmasters is an absolutely miserable, "what were they thinking?" card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Huxley posted:

This event is the first time I've had any real contact with it, and Orcish Bowmasters is an absolutely miserable, "what were they thinking?" card.

To be fair this is the only time you're seeing it interact with Brainstorm, which makes way better.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve been playing channel, demonic tutor and some eldrazis. Most games end on turn 2 or 3. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

To be fair this is the only time you're seeing it interact with Brainstorm, which makes way better.

I just got someone with this and it feels :discourse: