Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I google all my problems before I go to the dr and if they disagree with google I immediately fire them and wait 6 months for a new dr appointment and second opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

nexous posted:

I google all my problems before I go to the dr and if they disagree with google I immediately fire them and wait 6 months for a new dr appointment and second opinion

which one of my in-laws are you

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lib and let die posted:

which one of my in-laws are you

your step dad

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"i look at the side effect of EVERY. SINGLE. MEDICATION. my doctor wants me to take, and most people, most people they don't do it - but i sit down and read THE ENTIRE. PAMPHLET. if i see one thing - ONE. THING i don't like on there, i throw the whole thing away call the doctor up and say 'i ain't fuckin' taking that'."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

this smells like ‘correlation=causation’ to me. Is it not equally as likely the number polio does on your immune system makes you more susceptible to opportunistic infection from enterovirus? Though I could also see a combination one-two punch type thing, like how measles wipes your immune memory giving other infections carte blanche that you thought you’d beaten.

The RSV vaccine though is an unmitigated good. My oldest got it at six months old from daycare and got asthma from it.
Ironically enough my sister told me not to come to Christmas that year because my grandmother had recently had heart surgery and didn’t want her exposed.
This same sister now supports JFK Jr, refuses to get (the rest of) her kids vaccinated and treated them and herself with ivermectin.
Oh yeah her husbands an ICU nurse. I guess I should have listened to him when he offered me some, he is a trained medical professional after all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eyyyyy

guess who has two thumbs and was asked by their Covid positive friend to take them home from the airport because they’re known for having goggles and elastomeric respirators

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

eyyyyy

guess who has two thumbs and was asked by their Covid positive friend to take them home from the airport because they’re known for having goggles and elastomeric respirators
Your friend flew while covid+ :catstare:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
hey but at least they don’t want to get an Uber driver infected

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Further on the horse paste discussion, a reminder that a doctor in Arkansas was running his own little captive research group by secretly treating all the covid positive inmates in a Washington County jail with ivermectin

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073846967/arkansas-inmates-ivermectin-lawsuit-covid-19

That's just one example of a doctor prescribing ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine, there were a bunch more posted in the older threads. There were also a bunch of bullshit studies that were being used by the pro-ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine crowd(I think there was a big study out of Pakistan that was getting quoted a lot?) as well as similar studies for palm oil and other bullshit cures

Starting a SAD thread about these inmates not being willing to trust their doctor.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Starting a SAD thread about these inmates not being willing to trust their doctor.

that doctor worked really hard to do be in a position to do those completely above aboard things!

also lol: long covid is old news. now, it’s all about long fire:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/08/20/maui-wildfires-smoke-trauma-cognitive-deficits/

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

eyyyyy

Was it LAX

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Trust doctors, but remember to factor in your Trust Doctor Handicap, just like your Golf Handicap:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

hey but at least they don’t want to get an Uber driver infected

Fair enough, hope you wore one of your neon masks :buddy:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Whites
  • Normal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

Fair enough, hope you wore one of your neon masks :buddy:

I’m picking them up tomorrow

sesamecare says they can’t get pax because of health history, so I’m getting them a neilmed bottle on the way

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
In terms of isolation, how should I think about the number of day guidance vs. negative RAT tests? My province's guidance is 10 days but the CDC is 20 days (immunocompromised). Fortunately I work from home, so that side of things is easy enough, but somehow my family managed to dodge this infection and I'm wondering how long I need to stay holed up in my basement (I do go upstairs / outside to drive the kids to things and help with things, but everyone is masked with N95s so we keep it to a minimum).

If I'm negative on 2 tests 24 hours apart, is that a relatively safe guideline for not having COVID even if it's less than the 20 days? I've been symptom free for a week now probably mostly thanks to a course of remedisivir.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

I’m picking them up tomorrow

sesamecare says they can’t get pax because of health history, so I’m getting them a neilmed bottle on the way

that’s a real friend, I usually drew the line at pickups at John Wayne

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/hollywood-studio-covid-rates-mask-mandates-back-1235571466/amp/

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
idk what they're worried about everyone knows celebrities are immune to covid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

M2tt posted:

idk what they're worried about everyone knows celebrities are immune to covid

it’s office mask mandates. maybe too many execs got sick that they’re taking it seriously now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

icantfindaname posted:

Cops and doctors are one thing, the one professional group you should openly spit on if you see them in public are public health professionals. If one of them says the sky is blue, open a window and confirm for yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hell yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm in Australia where paxlovid is being gatekept to the very old or the very immunocompromised despite calls from epidemiologists for wider access. They actually eased up on the eligibility factors in April this year, previously people in their 60s had to have two risk factors to be eligible for paxlovid but they lowered that to just one risk factor. For people like me who are under 60 and don't have multiple risk factors it's pretty much impossible for me to get pax unless I could somehow convince an MD to prescribe it for me, and even then it'd cost over $1,000 out-of-pocket which I couldn't even afford.

I imagine it'd be pretty trivial for someone "rich and connected" to get their hands on pax, though.

Australian pets have a better shot at getting COVID antivirals than humans do. 🤣

The compounding veterinary pharmacy Bova (no joke) has been spinning human Remdesivir into a veterinary drug since 2020.

Two cats use as much Remdesivir as three humans, because they require long courses of treatment to cure FIP.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a nice evening with the lesbians and once again nobody gave a poo poo about me wearing a mask the whole time.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Shiroc posted:

I had a nice evening with the lesbians and once again nobody gave a poo poo about me wearing a mask the whole time.

To be fair, you're fantastic company.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Australian pets have a better shot at getting COVID antivirals than humans do. 🤣

The compounding veterinary pharmacy Bova (no joke) has been spinning human Remdesivir into a veterinary drug since 2020.

Two cats use as much Remdesivir as three humans, because they require long courses of treatment to cure FIP.

I would make a joke here about adopting a cat so I can get antivirals but the SADdies would be all over me.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
[COVID-19] Is it starting again?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
A refreshing letter from some of our Washington state doctors calling for continued precautionary approaches in healthcare settings.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M23-1230

Opening paragraph, emphasis mine:

"The COVID-19 pandemic has upended societal norms and changed the way we view the health risks associated with respiratory viral infections. Although extensive research has helped elucidate the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 and expanded our understanding of COVID-19–associated health complications, much remains to be learned, especially with regard to long-term sequelae of infection. In health care, universal masking was implemented as a key source control measure to reduce risk for nosocomial SARS-CoV-2 transmission among patients and health care workers (HCWs), based on the available evidence that masking could reduce risk for respiratory viral transmission (1). The end of the COVID-19 emergency declarations by the World Health Organization and the U.S. federal government has prompted discussions about the future of masking in health care settings (2, 3) as COVID-19 is increasingly viewed as an established and ongoing health issue. In our view, the ongoing disease burden among persons at highest risk for severe COVID-19, the large proportion of transmission from asymptomatic and presymptomatic cases, uncertainty about the future course of the pandemic (4), and the effects of post–COVID-19 conditions merit integration of lessons learned from the pandemic into health care precautions and policies."

From another section:

"In a recent article, Shenoy and colleagues (2) proposed a transition back to prepandemic approaches to mitigating health care–associated respiratory viral infections by using Standard Precautions and Transmission-Based Precautions in health care settings. This recommendation assumes that our prepandemic approach to preventing hospital-acquired respiratory viral infections was adequate. In fact, it is likely that before the pandemic, we vastly underappreciated the degree of harm caused by hospital-acquired respiratory viral infections that were preventable by masking among patients and HCWs (7). Prior policies focused exclusively on limiting health care–associated infections from identified ill patients to HCWs. As Palmore and Henderson highlight (3), the lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic have led to a greater appreciation of asymptomatic, presymptomatic, and pauci-symptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and other endemic respiratory viruses (8)."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I need to go to a dermatologist, first appointment I could get was 6 months from when I asked. Now when I can finally get in covids bigger and better than ever. Rip

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

anime was right posted:

I need to go to a dermatologist, first appointment I could get was 6 months from when I asked. Now when I can finally get in covids bigger and better than ever. Rip

dont worry this is the one you want to get, this is the good covid

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zantie posted:

"In a recent article, Shenoy and colleagues (2) proposed a transition back to prepandemic approaches to mitigating health care–associated respiratory viral infections by using Standard Precautions and Transmission-Based Precautions in health care settings. This recommendation assumes that our prepandemic approach to preventing hospital-acquired respiratory viral infections was adequate. In fact, it is likely that before the pandemic, we vastly underappreciated the degree of harm caused by hospital-acquired respiratory viral infections that were preventable by masking among patients and HCWs (7). Prior policies focused exclusively on limiting health care–associated infections from identified ill patients to HCWs. As Palmore and Henderson highlight (3), the lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic have led to a greater appreciation of asymptomatic, presymptomatic, and pauci-symptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and other endemic respiratory viruses (8)."

hoo boy, number is not gonna like that

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

trashy owl posted:

To be fair, you're fantastic company.

:blush:

Same to you, I hope you and the spouse are doing well.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

anime was right posted:

I waited a little too long on getting a derm consult and it made the problem worse. I regret waiting and you should get in there with as many protections as you can take.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

tenderjerk posted:

they are gaming the system with selective hand wringing and it is enforced by mods that constantly seek the validation of everyone you mentioned in the thread you mentioned, im not going to say this thread cant be wack as all hell sometimes but the double standard in cspam is pathetic

That's hilarious, it looks like this made them really mad too. loving dorks.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

nexous posted:

quote:

Nothing really new to most people here, but here's a big Paxlovid thread with a bunch of handy links to give to difficult doctors / pharmacists.

https://twitter.com/findmeabluebird/status/1692975701752729635

https://nitter.net/findmeabluebird/status/1692975701752729635

ibid has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Aug 22, 2023

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ibid posted:

That's hilarious, it looks like this made them really mad too. loving dorks.

how dare a thread give a poo poo about helping people avoid severe consequences of infectious diseases :argh:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

tenderjerk posted:

they are gaming the system with selective hand wringing and it is enforced by mods that constantly seek the validation of everyone you mentioned in the thread you mentioned, im not going to say this thread cant be wack as all hell sometimes but the double standard in cspam is pathetic

empty loving quote

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

trashy owl posted:

how dare a thread give a poo poo about helping people avoid severe consequences of infectious diseases :argh:

How dare a thread pay so little attention to people who spend so much of their time masturbating at each other?? This is a lifestyle and it matters!!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I get the sentiment but feeding posts to kooks willing to dig through months of post histories to complain in SAD is kinda counterproductive in here

at any rate whatever new variant is dominating is popping the gently caress off and hospitalizations are increasing at an unnerving rate, two friend groups went on interstate vacations and both turned into nearly 100 percent infections.

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Aug 22, 2023

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ibid posted:

How dare a thread pay so little attention to people who spend so much of their time masturbating at each other?? This is a lifestyle and it matters!!

i just don't understand why y'all keep posting so much, with so much concern, if as you seem to think, none of this matters and we're all delusional. it's a lot of work for something you Don't Care About!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/cYK4OYn.mp4