Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
perhaps your wife is not cut out to be a public school teacher if what you described is such an insurmountable task

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

perhaps your wife is not cut out to be a public school teacher if what you described is such an insurmountable task

perhaps you should learn to read because the problem is with parents and administration

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Obviously children should listen to the teacher, how is this even in question

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!

Lib and let die posted:

perhaps you should learn to read because the problem is with parents and administration

hahah

for sure man

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

this is a fine showing of covid-thread brain: my wife is responsible for the spread of covid at her school because administration implied that if she doesn't get in line with the rest of the school, her position and income could be in danger.

is this another thread full of c-spam landlords whose partners can just up and leave a work situation that's problematic for them? because that's not the case for me. we need both our incomes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lib and let die posted:

we can only focus on the things we have direct control over. when some rear end in a top hat parent sends their sick kid into her classroom, that's out of our control. no homebrewed mad scientist filter rig is gonna suck all the particles out of an entire classroom.

no but it will suck some of them out

sorry your wife's work sucks. flee Florida if you can.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tenderjerk posted:

skill issue

give him some of your trust fund money

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tristeham posted:

just enough so that it would supplement the next ~40 yrs worth of income for my wife so she can quit her job like seems to be the consensus itt

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Lib and let die posted:

bullying works, have we tried that?

like, nationally, directed at the Florida residents that are like woooo disease! booo people stoppping disease! fire teacher who care about my childs health!

not at their victims.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!

tristeham posted:

id prefer to watch him struggle tbqh

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

you very much give a poo poo whether or not she puts a corsi cube in her classroom

Are you DickParasite's alt or something? I wasn't talking to you you loving nerd, you complete weirdo, shut the gently caress up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
"Jeopardize your income" and "flee the state" aren't really practical advice IMO

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

this is a fine showing of covid-thread brain: my wife is responsible for the spread of covid at her school because administration implied that if she doesn't get in line with the rest of the school, her position and income could be in danger.

is this another thread full of c-spam landlords whose partners can just up and leave a work situation that's problematic for them? because that's not the case for me. we need both our incomes.

You could do the Corsi cube or air filter and if anyone asks just tell them it's because of the pollen.

IDK I'm just spitballing here.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

You're in luck--I went down this rabbit hole because I was getting eaten alive while visiting a family member last summer and I hate OFF.

Off Spray is 15% DEET so if you are specifically having a reaction to DEET there are some options. You could try a 20% picaridin spray or a permethrin clothing treatment. There are also lotion versions available of picaridin if some other ingredient in the sprays is causing the dermatitis.

For use in a backyard or patio, thermacell makes spatial repellents. Mosquito coils (those green spiral things) do work as well.

That being said, I don't think Texas has too much to worry about local malaria transmission yet. I know they reported a single case of local transmission there in June, but the bigger concern would be West Nile. I do think that due to climate change malaria may become endemic to much of the Southeast eventually in 5-10 years however.

i just hate getting bit by mosquitoes and tbh i don't know if i've contracted west nile before or not since it's "mild" lol. would rather not get it. or zika. or malaria.

thermacell spatial repellents rule. we have one for the patio and in our camping/natural disaster gear.

as to what caused my dermatitis- it might be the deet or a common inactive ingredient. i'll patch test some picaridin spray when i can find some and report back. the two cans of mosquito spray we had on hand that i used contained deet. most of the alternatives i saw available were essential oil based and i do not have a good track record with those kind of products at all.

just lol gonna get some screen doors and mosquito netting for the house too. i don't think the city we're in sprays our street but we haven't been here long enough to hear it. our old place was next to a bayou, so that city sprayed at least once a month. fun times

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lib and let die posted:

we can only focus on the things we have direct control over. when some rear end in a top hat parent sends their sick kid into her classroom, that's out of our control. no homebrewed mad scientist filter rig is gonna suck all the particles out of an entire classroom.

well yeah, basically, air filters are measured by the amount of cubic ft they can exchange per hour. increasing ventilation is a very well recognized way to reduce the risk of airborne transmission, long before covid came around

that said, it sounds like even the fanciest air filter is a fight already lost 3 years ago at that school. sorry, FL goon

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

id prefer to watch him struggle tbqh

nice

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DickParasite posted:

You could do the Corsi cube or air filter and if anyone asks just tell them it's because of the pollen.

IDK I'm just spitballing here.

not a bad idea imo whenever people hear allergies are involved they are more sympathetic because allergies are still real whereas disease is not

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

we have the tools

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm going to make a very blanket statement here as a former restaurant worker:

if you lie about allergies, gently caress you

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

you are blaming this thread for offering solutions that your wife's employer won't allow. the problem isn't this thread, it's the gross failed society we live in.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

excuse me, is there pollen in this?

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Lib and let die posted:

yeah running cover for an air filter by saying it helps with the oak pollen (which, of course, it does) is equivalent to telling a slammed restaurant that you have a tree nut allergy when you really just don't like bofa on your salad.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Lald what do you want fun from this thread? I'm asking sincerely.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

Bad things (in general):
🌟Blaming individuals for systemic issues🌟

this should not be that hard, jfc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DickParasite posted:

Lald what do you want fun from this thread? I'm asking sincerely.

one normal day.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

do you have a license for those furnace filters? No? Produce the results of you last protein response test

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
A few months ago I told the American people I was extremely allergic to pollen. My heart and my best intentions tell me that's true, but the facts and allergen test tell me it is not.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

lol imagining lald's wife bringing a big jar of highly allergenic peanut butter into the classroom, opening the lid and setting up the air filter right next to it

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

one normal day.

It is very late where I am and I'm going to bed. I hope you and your wife are able to stay safe. God luck.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Up here in the north corsi cubes are getting popular for wildfire smoke. If only we had used the pandemic to update schools' HVAC systems...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Troutful posted:

lol imagining lald's wife bringing a big jar of highly allergenic peanut butter into the classroom, opening the lid and setting up the air filter right next to it

she can't even bring a granola bar with nuts in it for her own lunch.

schools are just ridiculous, top to bottom. public, private, it don't matter.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

precipitating a FDA crackdown by bringing in tahini instead of peanut butter and introducing new allergens into a process

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

one normal day.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

what's hosed is with the new booster around the corner, it's just a lovely time for the school year to start. she could have gotten the booster before the school year started but the new series coming out will probably be more appropriate for what's going to be spreading around this school year so we're in a lovely, awkward timeframe for getting boosters.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bedpan posted:

precipitating a FDA crackdown by bringing in tahini instead of peanut butter and introducing new allergens into a process

sunbutter will be next

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

sunbutter will be next

as a peanut allergy haver myself, you can take it from my cold, dead hands

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fosborb posted:

sunbutter will be next

:hai:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lib and let die posted:

what's hosed is with the new booster around the corner, it's just a lovely time for the school year to start. she could have gotten the booster before the school year started but the new series coming out will probably be more appropriate for what's going to be spreading around this school year so we're in a lovely, awkward timeframe for getting boosters.

end of Sept approval hopefully, and access shortly after. if this fall is like the last 3, we'll be ramping on up right as they come to market

maybe it will be like last year, when I got a booster and tested positive the next day lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

you could probably get the old booster now, and get the new booster in a few months. might have to perform the L word though.