Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'm still reeling from this, tbh

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/more-70-us-household-covid-spread-started-child-study-suggests

More than 70% of US household COVID spread started with a child, study suggests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fosborb posted:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/more-70-us-household-covid-spread-started-child-study-suggests

it actually doesn't spread through schools tho

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
so the real problem must be the pick up/drop off zone

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

unfortunately for my wife, every covid shot she's gotten has put her on her rear end for, minimum, 3 days. a shot now and a shot in a few more months just...isn't gonna happen. she's not even the type to take a flu vaccine, so getting her on board with even semi regular 'rona refreshes was a big win (it 'helps' that her parents are both immunocompromised to some degree [according to what they tell us their doctors tell us so lmao])

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fosborb posted:

this makes me sad and no solution is on the horizon.

I remember when the best and the brightest of public health, immunology, virology, infections diseases, etc. were flooding any and every news source with statements about COVID not spreading in schools or children not catching COVID

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

so the real problem must be the pick up/drop off zone

High School Musical: The Virus

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I can't find my allergy test results where next to my positive reaction to peanut the nurse drew a little frowny face like

Peanut - 3+ :(

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buffer posted:

But hey, bullying works.

lol i hate this place

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I can't find my allergy test results where next to my positive reaction to peanut the nurse drew a little frowny face like

Peanut - 3+ :(

i like to consider myself lucky, because my immune response to ingesting peanuts is just a bit of diarreah so like...I can get at it every now and again if I have plenty of TP and baby wipes on hand.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

it actually doesn't spread through schools tho

they should replace the "gun free zone" signs at schools with "covid free zone" to really stop the spread

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bedpan posted:

I remember when the best and the brightest of public health, immunology, virology, infections diseases, etc. were flooding any and every news source with statements about COVID not spreading in schools or children not catching COVID

yeah it ruled watching a bunch of lagged indicators from the only goddamn time when kids were ACTUALLY kept out of schools being pointed to as evidence that schools were safe.

Literally saying "look, when the kids are at home, the virus doesn't spread amongst them, that must mean it's safe to send them to schools!"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
keeping schools open was a joe biden campaign promise lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

keeping schools open was a joe biden campaign promise lmao

yep

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

one of the only ones he actually came through on

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

have to send the kids off to school state-sponsored daycare so both parents can go be ground into dust to produce value for capital

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it ruled watching a bunch of lagged indicators from the only goddamn time when kids were ACTUALLY kept out of schools being pointed to as evidence that schools were safe.

Literally saying "look, when the kids are at home, the virus doesn't spread amongst them, that must mean it's safe to send them to schools!"

thinking about this and hooting like daffy duck

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he also ended covid by pretending it doesnt exist problem solved

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Amazing to me that schools would refuse better air quality in the classroom.

My Corsi anecdote:
My aunt teaches in a red-as-gently caress school district in rural Southern IL (so rural that kids are allowed to be absent when hunting season starts). I hipped my uncle to the Corsi-Rosenthal Box 2 years ago, he built one and it's been running in her classroom since. They change the filters every semester and they're dirty as hell. She claims that no one has complained, which admittedly surprised me.

Another note, for any teachers or relatives of teachers in IL. The IDPH is offering free HEPA purifiers for every classroom and daycare:
https://dph.illinois.gov/resource-center/news/2023/march/idph-launches--30-million-program-to-distribute-air-purifiers-in.html
https://www.illinois.gov/news/press-release.26746.html

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
so is the reason this thread is so shitted up with trolls and drama now because everyone is forced to get infected by their family, job situation etc? like sour grapes?

it doesn't matter to me personally since there's nothing i need other that I don't already know (wear a mask), but it definitely makes the thread less interesting. i reckon it will die on its own similar to the dd thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

I mean propaganda that schools have some kind of magical repellant field aside, why? It was obvious from the very, very beginning that schools were a hotbed of transmission. All three of the first big documented COVID outbreaks from community transmission in the PNW were in schools.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

i'm going to make a very blanket statement here as a former restaurant worker:

if you lie about allergies, gently caress you

what the gently caress? as a cook, i never loving accused any customer of lying and took their requests seriously whether they were screwing around or not, thanks. i cooked for 10 years and never had an issue with "fakers".

maybe i don't get the joke, but it's a poo poo one if it is

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

unfortunately for my wife, every covid shot she's gotten has put her on her rear end for, minimum, 3 days. a shot now and a shot in a few more months just...isn't gonna happen. she's not even the type to take a flu vaccine, so getting her on board with even semi regular 'rona refreshes was a big win (it 'helps' that her parents are both immunocompromised to some degree [according to what they tell us their doctors tell us so lmao])

Idk what vaccines she tried, but Novavax is also getting updated this round and people have been having vastly different responses to the different vaccines. Might be worth a (heh) shot.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mrbotus posted:

so is the reason this thread is so shitted up with trolls and drama now because everyone is forced to get infected by their family, job situation etc? like sour grapes?

it doesn't matter to me personally since there's nothing i need other that I don't already know (wear a mask), but it definitely makes the thread less interesting. i reckon it will die on its own similar to the dd thread

just report the posts you think are disruptive

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

bedpan posted:

those weren't the best and brightest... is the thing. They were the people that were willing to work within the political economy, so they're very useful as "science" social proof for all kinds of interests.

There were plenty of doctors, scientists, epis, MPHs, etc. who went out on a limb, risked something to go against that crowd and say that XYZ was worse or whatever. The failure mode was that was generally punished, not rewarded, even once they turned out to be right. You see the same dynamic in climate change. Certain things are guaranteed a platform because of the wider political economy.

It actually has very little to do with the disciplines themselves and a lot more to do with our society.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if you listened to Fauci and Birx in interviews after they resigned, you can tell they were under political pressure and made the science fit what their bosses wanted

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

call_of_qthulhu posted:

what the gently caress? as a cook, i never loving accused any customer of lying and took their requests seriously

this is exactly why I made that statement.

when someone reports a bread allergy, a cook that cares will break down and hospital-grade clean their station to prepare an item for a customer with an allergen issue. I've done it myself many times. It is not fun, it is not quick, and it fucks up the other 12 orders you have working in front of you, but you do it because you want the person you're feeding to to enjoy their meal and not die from it.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

mrbotus posted:

from the very first instance of the thread you could see the parallel timing of increased transmission/illness and threadshitting/complaining, yeah. just about as solid a correlation as the yankee candle review complaint index.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

captainbananas posted:

from the very first instance of the thread you could see the parallel timing of increased transmission/illness and threadshitting/complaining, yeah. just about as solid a correlation as the yankee candle review complaint index.

this can't be correct. I've been told that COVID is over.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

hell yeah I remember in, like, february 2020, where there were a handful of people going "wow this might be real bad" and clamoring hordes of people going "no it won't shut the gently caress up moron this is nothing, you think it's gonna kill ~10,000-100,000 people in the US? lmao it's not even gonna kill like, ten, shut up and stop worrying" and here we are, a million dead and counting later and it's the same song and dance lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bedpan posted:

this can't be correct. I've been told that COVID is over.

the pandemic and all government assistance related to it is over. we are now in the rugged individualism phase of life with covid.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mrbotus posted:

"What makes you so good you don't deserve to get COVID?"

It's been discussed all to hell and back, but yeah this thread attracts people seeking contrition for very lovely situations, so it's easy to troll because people are just gonna be more emotional about this topic. There's also the weird social reaction as above, where people assume folks trying to protect themselves from COVID consider themselves better than other people, which is really similar to like the weird reactions people have to vegans/vegetarians.

There's almost certainly an element of dissonance out there as well that increases thread making GBS threads traffic when COVID cases are worse, but that's not the sort of thing one can quantify.

I personally don't think the thread can last because it's clear the objective from on high is to demand "normalcy" when discussing a situation that is decidedly not normal.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Aug 22, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
COVID as AN EVENT is over. it has been successfully transferred to the list of things that can kill/injure you everyday and it will be your own fault for not being cautious enough.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

RealityWarCriminal posted:

if you listened to Fauci and Birx in interviews after they resigned, you can tell they were under political pressure and made the science fit what their bosses wanted

no way, they just Followed The Science™

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Buffer posted:

those weren't the best and brightest... is the thing. They were the people that were willing to work within the political economy, so they're very useful as "science" social proof for all kinds of interests.

There were plenty of doctors, scientists, epis, MPHs, etc. who went out on a limb, risked something to go against that crowd and say that XYZ was worse or whatever. The failure mode was that was generally punished, not rewarded, even once they turned out to be right. You see the same dynamic in climate change. Certain things are guaranteed a platform because of the wider political economy.

It actually has very little to do with the disciplines themselves and a lot more to do with our society.

it does, in fact, have a lot to do with the disciplines, as they, you know, exist within our society etc. etc.

health economists, baby. everyone's a health economist now, whatever their actual job or credential titles.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ :hfive:

Buffer posted:

this is a very meta discussion but public health especially as a discipline operates within the strictures imposed upon it by society, it wouldn't exist as a discipline without them. it's a dialectic.

Those people ARE described by and upheld by that society as "the best and the brightest" because they work to optimize that dialectic in favor of the stability of the system.

What "the best and brightest" means is obviously different to us lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

It did result in OoCC being actually funny though, so who's to say what is right or wrong?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

if I constructed a perfectly engineered circular track of classrooms where every student had corvid but each room took 14 minutes to traverse and a complete circuit could be made in exactly 24 hours could I gain complete immunity by living on a little train that drove me through it continously.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

COVID as AN EVENT is over. it has been successfully transferred to the list of things that can kill/injure you everyday and it will be your own fault for not being cautious enough.

not even that, since being cautious is itself deeply frowned upon

it's like when it comes to covid, a large segment of the population are the kind of people who call you a pussy if you wear a seatbelt

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Anyone itt read The Sickness is the System? Thinking about picking it up, always been a fan of Prof. Wolff's work.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

^^ :hfive:

this is a very meta discussion but public health especially as a discipline operates within the strictures imposed upon it by society, it wouldn't exist as a discipline without them. it's a dialectic.

Those people ARE described by and upheld by that society as "the best and the brightest" because they work to optimize that dialectic in favor of the stability of the system.

What "the best and brightest" means is obviously different to us lol

The course materials for MPH programs are wild

I saw a writing prompt in one that was basically "you've been a do-nothing nobody who works 80 hours a week for no benefit to anyone for the last 10 years of your career and suddenly you've stepped into an elevator with your state's governor. what do you say to get him to fund STI screening for teens? 700 words or less"

I've never seen toxic work-life balance and learned helplessness normalized in curricula but there it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hailthefish posted:

not even that, since being cautious is itself deeply frowned upon

it's like when it comes to covid, a large segment of the population are the kind of people who call you a pussy if you wear a seatbelt

it's weakness, overall. The "not cautious enough" stuff comes from the Liberal side, and it's residual from when it was an event. "he should've been vaccinated" "he should've gotten a booster" etc. And all of it drives toward a kind of perceived Stupidity, that if this person had known better they'd taken a different series of actions that would have ended with the virus deciding not to infect them quite so bad.

And then the thing you're talking about is coming from the Reactionary side, and yeah it's just more directly "he should've been stronger". because if you were a winner and not a loser, you wouldn't have LOST, QED.