Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
this isn't the alternative medicine thread but I want to ask if anyone else has seen that wild "Somatic Breathwork" poo poo that claims to be able to reset your nervous system and release trapped emotions (whatever that means) through breathing exercises.

if you see the short clips of the breathing exercises they do, it 100% looks like that passout game I saw friends do as a teenager where you exhale all the air in your lungs and have someone press on your chest until you black out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Asproigerosis posted:

Literally none of those concerns matter because ITS loving DEEP FRIED OIL. All the allergens are destroyed.

The number of times we got into loving arguments with Karen's at acme during cheep chicken Monday because we used peanut oil in the fryers and you're not loving listening lady the 400 degree heat obliterates the allergens you are safe.

lol who wanted this guy to be mod

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

You know what's real loving confusing is osteopathy is quackery, but doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs) in the united states have mutated over time until they're not quacks anymore but everywhere else it's still chiropractoring-grade garbage and non-DO osteopaths in the US are still quacks

yeah it's very weird and funny that DOs in the US are just "regular doctors (maybe lower admission criteria) but they also learn some weird massage bullshit" and I wonder if it is like, by osmosis, lending credibility to the other actually-just-quack fields, or if it's just that the US healthcare system is so broken and stupid and people don't ever even notice or know the difference between their doc being an MD or a DO

text editor posted:

this isn't the alternative medicine thread but I want to ask if anyone else has seen that wild "Somatic Breathwork" poo poo that claims to be able to reset your nervous system and release trapped emotions (whatever that means) through breathing exercises.

if you see the short clips of the breathing exercises they do, it 100% looks like that passout game I saw friends do as a teenager where you exhale all the air in your lungs and have someone press on your chest until you black out

passing out and cracking your head open is a doctor-approved treatment for a variety of conditions, apparently!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

I could be getting paid for this????
lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

text editor posted:

yeah I guy I went to high school with moved to Costa Rica and does this as an influencer now lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh wow seeing the bright white light and all of a sudden I have these emotions to confront?????? I gotta teach people how to do this!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah I guy I went to high school with moved to Costa Rica and [is an] influencer now lol
there a guy I knew in turkey who did this. shoutout to Walter

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Jort Fortress posted:

Summer Flu really tearing through my coworkers now that school is back. I’ve casually suggested Paxlovid to a few of them that mentioned being sick and either get “oh, it’s not COVID” or total confusion because they’ve never heard of the medication and probably think I’m insane. Mind you, they all acknowledge COVID’s continued existence, so I’m not sure why the refusal to mitigate its long term risks.

why won’t they use the tools :saddowns:

Well, you see, only weak or vulnerable people need to worry about COVID, so the tools are there for the weak and the vulnerable. Being weak or vulnerable in the United States is a moral failing, almost as bad as being poor, since we all know the universe rewards the good and punishes the bad.

As a result, your coworkers aren't willing to admit or even explore the possibility that they are sick enough to need the tools.

Put more succinctly: propaganda works.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Are you talking about what I replied to or the peanut oil thing?

Peanut oil is pretty well known to not trigger allergies in most people who have peanut allergies because they're allergic to the protein in peanuts which isn't present in a highly refined peanut oil. (Source, peanutallergyfacts.org, WebMD)

That doesn't mean there are absolutely no people with peanut oil allergies or that you should go whole hog with peanut oil if you have an allergy or suspect someone has an allergy.

just the idea that high heat kills allergens, not so much peanut oil. the folks i know still avoid peanut oil because of that "most"

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

DOs are fine lol

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
demon country
https://x.com/nateb_panic/status/1693893284811157562?s=46&t=tIHrssZTJ2oZ5H3AU2Yppg

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Poppers posted:

DOs are fine lol

Yeah there's nothing specifically wrong with a DO they just spend a year learning to lay on hands. They technically have the same training as an MD and have most of the same educational requirements

The main reason to sneer at American DOs is that their programs tend to lurk in religious and private universities where the standards may be significantly lower and where students unsuited to medicine may have an easier time getting through the program

I can't really avoid them in the part of the country I live in, but my experience with MDs is that they tend to come across as more professional and skilled than DOs do and I prefer an MD when I can get one

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

Sunny Side Up has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Aug 22, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

We can criticize DO programs for being predatory but you still have to pass USMLE to get licensed to practice medicine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

We can criticize DO programs for being predatory

nice

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i am a licensed vibe technician and your poo poo is off

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

osteopaths should be banned.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Yeah there's nothing specifically wrong with a DO they just spend a year learning to lay on hands.

They should spend that time learning to Divine Smite instead, much more useful class feature.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poppers posted:

We can criticize DO programs for being predatory but you still have to pass USMLE to get licensed to practice medicine
passing the USMLE isn't really that impressive + having a DO incentivizes you not to use any "real medicine" you had to learn for a test.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
chakras: real
allergies: fake
diseases: made of crystals in your fascia
oh yeah, it's time to do some osteopathin

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

passing the USMLE isn't really that impressive + having a DO incentivizes you not to use any "real medicine" you had to learn for a test.

Lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

lmao

quote:

The CDC responded to Seminario and the experts’ letter only now, a month later, and just before the scheduled Aug 22 meeting. The agency offered no substantive or specific rebuttal, but spoke of its dedication to “improving healthcare quality” and commitment to “to transparency, communication, and stakeholder engagement.”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we used to take our kids to a pediatric clinic attached to a private university where everyone was a DO and from BYU

yes, we did vaccinate our kids on the standard schedule. why are you looking at me like that?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I mean, they give the doctors a full year of the training, and technically speaking, they can only use it by abdicating the rest of their medical knowledge

If you give someone who thinks they're a wizard a stick and you call it a magic wand, they may try waving it to solve a problem every now and again

mawarannahr posted:

osteopaths should be banned.

Basically this

Give all the existing DOs a pass if they promise not to osteopath anymore

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

bobtheconqueror posted:

Well, you see, only weak or vulnerable people need to worry about COVID...

Agreed, it seems like the thought of it hurting them (a very strong person) is unfathomable. In those conversations, I share the anecdote of my healthy, vaxxed 18yo nephew who's dealt with dysautonomia (POTS, out of control heart rate, fatigue) since his "mild" infection in Dec. 2021. He had an engineering scholarship out of state but just opted to attend a smaller college near home because his health issues have scared the poo poo out of him and he wants to be near where his parents live.

Libs think the vaccine is a coat of amor and can't fathom that the govt would mislead them.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

just wanted to toss out a :thanks: to big V for finally banning ibid, a genuine problem poster and one of the absolute worst posters in the thread (the forum too but he only ever posted here). wish it happened months and months ago but it is what it is. gives me hope that this iteration of the thread might not be as miserable a cesspool as the last. patriots are in control etc

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I mean, they give the doctors a full year of the training, and technically speaking, they can only use it by abdicating the rest of their medical knowledge

If you give someone who thinks they're a wizard a stick and you call it a magic wand, they may try waving it to solve a problem every now and again

Basically this

Give all the existing DOs a pass if they promise not to osteopath anymore

What exactly do you think DOs get taught in school lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mawarannahr posted:

i bet i could pass the NCLEX without going to nursing school

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

What exactly do you think DOs get taught in school lol

idk what did you get taught in school

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I could pass the California bar easily

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jort Fortress posted:

Agreed, it seems like the thought of it hurting them (a very strong person) is unfathomable. In those conversations, I share the anecdote of my healthy, vaxxed 18yo nephew who's dealt with dysautonomia (POTS, out of control heart rate, fatigue) since his "mild" infection in Dec. 2021. He had an engineering scholarship out of state but just opted to attend a smaller college near home because his health issues have scared the poo poo out of him and he wants to be near where his parents live.

Libs think the vaccine is a coat of amor and can't fathom that the govt would mislead them.

wait

how did COVID install a copper phone line in your nephew?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah there's nothing specifically wrong with a DO they just spend a year learning to lay on hands.

I have never once witnessed my DO give up even 5 HP from his healing pool to cure a disease. Bullshit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how many hit dice does a DO have?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Asproigerosis posted:

Like I'm a loving manchild

we know man

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Poppers posted:

I could pass the California bar easily

the goon who diagnoses themself has a fool for a doctor

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I wish I could get a DO, my doctor is a nurse who has ten minutes to talk to me at my only free annual visit and the only second opinion my insurance covers is a chatbot

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lib and let die posted:

look at this fuckin' guy

Isn't this that Christian Bale gun kata movie?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

I wish I could get a DO, my doctor is a nurse who has ten minutes to talk to me at my only free annual visit and the only second opinion my insurance covers is a chatbot

GUNSHOT WOUND!

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Could you please repeat it slower and clearer?"

GUN. SHOT. WOUND.

"Thanks. We're transferring you to a licensed healer in your area, who can be available in as little as 30 minutes!"

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

NPs are also ftw. Respect my colleagues :redass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

GUNSHOT WOUND!

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Could you please repeat it slower and clearer?"

GUN. SHOT. WOUND.

"Thanks. We're transferring you to a licensed healer in your area, who can be available in as little as 30 minutes!"

'OFFICER DOWN'