Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SerthVarnee posted:

It absolutely makes a difference for the regular civilian population in Europe.

The fact that Denmark and Holland are leading the effort of bringing F-16s to Ukraine makes a fuckton more of a meaningful statement compared to Denmark sending some troops and a hospital ship to help the US do something somewhere in the Middle East or whereever.

This suddenly becomes a point of pride in Denmark rather than a halfhearted "I guess we should" feeling when the US is already drowning the battlefield in equipment.

If you guys have already sent 2000 tanks somewhere, what difference does it make that Denmark send 10?

But if you haven't sent a single plane and the lightweights get to take the spotlight and get some serious prestige from making a donation that we can actually manage? Badass public opinion boost.

I was also proud of us for helping with training Ukrainian troops and officers, that's a pretty big deal, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is a very good point imo

Yeah meant to mention, thanks for the different POV

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What are good, non-twitter, resources to stay up to date on military developments? After months and months and months of hearing "the Russian ____ has collapsed and the front can't hold much longer", I need better sources

Russia still has some friends, weapons, and troops; and no matter how weak the Ruble is, they haven't had anything close to a Turnip Winter. Even if they are constantly loving up and don't appear to have a chance for anything that looks like their stated victory conditions, it seems like they're dug in like a tick from hell and I want a more realistic picture of the situation

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fearless posted:

A friend of mine who grew up in Bakhmut cites salo as one of her inspirations for becoming a vegetarian.

As a vegetarian, salo is one of the few meat products I sometimes miss.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I never had Ukrainian salo but I had some Estonian lard and black bread and it was rly good

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Non-paywalled link.

Ukraine offensive stalling because Ukrainian forces are misallocated per US sources

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/22/...&smid=url-share

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

What are good, non-twitter, resources to stay up to date on military developments? After months and months and months of hearing "the Russian ____ has collapsed and the front can't hold much longer", I need better sources

Russia still has some friends, weapons, and troops; and no matter how weak the Ruble is, they haven't had anything close to a Turnip Winter. Even if they are constantly loving up and don't appear to have a chance for anything that looks like their stated victory conditions, it seems like they're dug in like a tick from hell and I want a more realistic picture of the situation

ISW is about as good as it gets. They only publish once a day, though, so if you want play-by-play then it's not for you.

https://www.understandingwar.org/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s getting to where checking in every couple weeks will probably serve the casual observer well enough for the next year or several.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PurpleXVI posted:

More explosions in Moscow, also Ukraine apparently pushed past Robotyne today. Seems like that's a definite push through some of the heavier parts of the Russian lines of defense, I wonder how much more meatgrindering the Russians can take before they start breaking.

Whole lot of Wermacht officers watching yet another encircled hundred thousand Soviets march into captivity asked the same question. Although that was a war of survival, and huge troop losses in against non-genocidal foes WWI & in Afghanistan did help prompt major political change, so who knows.

GD_American posted:

How many Backfires would the Ukrainians have to put lights out before they cease to be an operational threat? I know they say 63 in service, but cmon

Wasn’t that an issue for the US using B52s in Vietnam in regards to how losing too many would put a key aspect of our nuclear delivery deterrent at risk? Don’t think losses got that high but it was a factor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The whole population situation is different. Russia has already been teetering on the edge of demographic collapse and this war is only accelerating things. Even if tomorrow Putin achieved his wildest aims and fully annexed Ukraine and Belarus fully without a single drop more blood spilled he'd in ten-fifteen years be running a state that can't even rate as a secondary power.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

CainFortea posted:

There is no food with an umlaut that isn't good. :colbert:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The whole population situation is different. Russia has already been teetering on the edge of demographic collapse and this war is only accelerating things. Even if tomorrow Putin achieved his wildest aims and fully annexed Ukraine and Belarus fully without a single drop more blood spilled he'd in ten-fifteen years be running a state that can't even rate as a secondary power.

Secondary power? Russia is the largest country in the world with immense mineral wealth and a technical legacy inherited from a former superpower, but despite all of that they have the same nominal GDP as New York State.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

windshipper posted:

Non-paywalled link.

Ukraine offensive stalling because Ukrainian forces are misallocated per US sources

quote:

In recent days, Ukraine has started tapping into its last strategic reserves — air mobile brigades intended to exploit any breakthrough.

At this point, maybe it would be best to pause the offensive and wait for next summer when they have F-16s, presumably other weapons, and more assault brigades trained over the winter?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

At this point, maybe it would be best to pause the offensive and wait for next summer when they have F-16s, presumably other weapons, and more assault brigades trained over the winter?

Per ISW, they've managed to push through the insane minefields around Robotyne and now have freedom of maneuver in that part of the front. It looks like the Russian secondary lines of defense are spread thin, which means that a massive mechanized push would likely be able to capitalize on this to make rapid gains. I guess we'll see if they're able to actually exploit it, but conditions seem to be the best they've been so far in the counteroffensive.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whole lot of Wermacht officers watching yet another encircled hundred thousand Soviets march into captivity asked the same question. Although that was a war of survival, and huge troop losses in against non-genocidal foes WWI & in Afghanistan did help prompt major political change, so who knows.

Wasn’t that an issue for the US using B52s in Vietnam in regards to how losing too many would put a key aspect of our nuclear delivery deterrent at risk? Don’t think losses got that high but it was a factor.

It might have been a consideration for how they allocated planes. Vietnam B-52s was all D/E/F models with the G/H being kept in reserve for deterrence/ready alert.

This is part of why they are still flying today, the H's really didn't get many flight hours until 2003.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

windshipper posted:

Non-paywalled link.

Then again we've had people posting about how Ukraine is doomed and will never get anywhere or recover any territory since like April last year. I feel like the Ukrainians have largely positively surprised us so far and seem to have a pretty good idea what they're doing. I'd definitely trust them more than armchair generals and anonymous sources.

As far as the offensive "stalling," they seem to be consistently retaking territory week after week, and at a faster pace than Russia did during their last big offensive, and that's even with the massive minefields facing them, and Russian milbloggers seem to be full of nothing but doom and gloom, generally saying that everything positive reported by the MoD is bullshit.

It's not a rapid rush like the counteroffensive in Kharkiv oblast, but I'm not seeing anything I'd characterize as "stalling" or "stalled."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They're going forwards and the Russians are going backwards and if you try and recall what your expectations were 12 months ago I bet this is quite far on the positive end of things.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The number of troops mobilized is insignificant from a demographics point of view. The number of casualties and especially deaths even more so. This war will not end because there are no more bodies to throw on the front lines.

It will end because of unsustainable loss of military materiel or the civil or political will to keep fighting collapsing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

And Ukraine is being hit even harder. Their demographic profile was even worse than Russia's before the war and now they have both an exodus and a massacre of their young most productive and fertile generation. A large chunk of the refugees won't come back and a large amount of the soldiers not physically crippled by the war will still be traumatized PTSD wrecks. There might not really be a post war economic boom or even baby boom due to factors like this. The only thing that might help is if a massive marshall-plan aid from the west doesn't get eaten up by Ukrainian (+ western!) corruption. And the west are in aggregate ruled by stingy fucks that due to ideology don't even want to spend that amount on their own populations, so the post war future of Ukraine is gonna be... rough.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Mighty optimistic to say he'll be running things in 10-15 years. He's looking pretty rough. I have pretty severe doubts that he gives the slightest gently caress about what happens once he's gone.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PurpleXVI posted:

Then again we've had people posting about how Ukraine is doomed and will never get anywhere or recover any territory since like April last year. I feel like the Ukrainians have largely positively surprised us so far and seem to have a pretty good idea what they're doing. I'd definitely trust them more than armchair generals and anonymous sources.

As far as the offensive "stalling," they seem to be consistently retaking territory week after week, and at a faster pace than Russia did during their last big offensive, and that's even with the massive minefields facing them, and Russian milbloggers seem to be full of nothing but doom and gloom, generally saying that everything positive reported by the MoD is bullshit.

It's not a rapid rush like the counteroffensive in Kharkiv oblast, but I'm not seeing anything I'd characterize as "stalling" or "stalled."

Damning with faint praise imo

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

And Ukraine is being hit even harder. Their demographic profile was even worse than Russia's before the war and now they have both an exodus and a massacre of their young most productive and fertile generation. A large chunk of the refugees won't come back and a large amount of the soldiers not physically crippled by the war will still be traumatized PTSD wrecks. There might not really be a post war economic boom or even baby boom due to factors like this. The only thing that might help is if a massive marshall-plan aid from the west doesn't get eaten up by Ukrainian (+ western!) corruption. And the west are in aggregate ruled by stingy fucks that due to ideology don't even want to spend that amount on their own populations, so the post war future of Ukraine is gonna be... rough.
Before the war there were roughly 300k births every year in Ukraine. Last year due to the war that dropped by roughly 30%. Losses are far, far, far below that (and not in any way at a level of a massacre).
More than half of Ukrainian refugees have returned, despite the war still going on. Ukrainian GDP has mostly stabilized this year. Various European countries and entities have already pledged large amounts of money for rebuilding after the war. Ukraine is looking at rapidly integrating into or closer to the EU, which has a lot of experience at integrating Eastern European countries.
Post-war future Ukraine is looking to be a lot more positive than it would have been under Russian control or if it had stayed in the Russian sphere of influence.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What will you tell your child when they ask you why you didn't invest in eastern Ukraine?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Xenoborg posted:

It might have been a consideration for how they allocated planes. Vietnam B-52s was all D/E/F models with the G/H being kept in reserve for deterrence/ready alert.

This is part of why they are still flying today, the H's really didn't get many flight hours until 2003.

Huh interesting didn’t know that. A relative was B52 navigator on Operation Chrome Dome flights where we kept nuclear armed B52s in the air and then later he was on missions in Vietnam, I hadn’t thought it was a different model.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

HelloSailorSign posted:

What will you tell your child when they ask you why you didn't invest in eastern Ukraine?

lol

I saw one of those posters while connecting through Frankfurt in 2013. It was funny enough to take a picture, but I never thought anything more about it until now. I was going through a period where I was not very online (highly recommended) and had no idea it had a whole moment in meme culture.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
USAFE Commander mentioned F-16s

quote:

Ukraine won’t get a basic F-16 capability until at least 2024, and developing proficiency with that aircraft “could be four or five years down the road,” Gen. James B. Hecker, commander of U.S. Air Forces Europe and Air Forces-Africa, said Aug. 18.

“It’s going to [take] at least until next year until you see F-16s in Ukraine,” Hecker said at a virtual meeting of the Defense Writers Group.

According to multiple media reports, within the past few days President Joe Biden’s administration gave the necessary official approvals needed for a consortium of countries led by Denmark and the Netherlands to start training Ukrainian pilots on the F-16. The U.S. has also provided formal assurances that it will fast-track any requests from those countries to transfer their older F-16s to Ukraine that they are trading out for newer aircraft like F-35s.

Yet Hecker downplayed the significance the F-16s may have in helping Ukraine combat Russia’s invasion, saying the capability won’t be a “silver bullet” but will simply ease Ukraine’s use of air-to-ground weapons already being provided. His comments echo previous remarks from Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Army Gen. Mark A. Milley, who have said F-16s won’t be a “game-changer” or “magic weapon,” respectively.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/u...id%20Aug.%2018.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

HelloSailorSign posted:

That I am broke enough investing in paying off my crippling mortgage debt.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

There were at least some G's over North Vietnam, though they weren't as well liked, since the tail guns were remotely operated and there wasn't a dude back there who could spot SAM launches.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

psydude posted:

Per ISW, they've managed to push through the insane minefields around Robotyne and now have freedom of maneuver in that part of the front. It looks like the Russian secondary lines of defense are spread thin, which means that a massive mechanized push would likely be able to capitalize on this to make rapid gains. I guess we'll see if they're able to actually exploit it, but conditions seem to be the best they've been so far in the counteroffensive.

There is also some evidence that Russia has been pulling substantial troops from other parts of the front to throw up in front of the advance near Robotyne. If so, and Ukraine has broken through and can conduct maneuver war you could see big changes quickly as the Russian line becomes unanchored.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DTurtle posted:

Before the war there were roughly 300k births every year in Ukraine. Last year due to the war that dropped by roughly 30%. Losses are far, far, far below that (and not in any way at a level of a massacre).
More than half of Ukrainian refugees have returned, despite the war still going on. Ukrainian GDP has mostly stabilized this year. Various European countries and entities have already pledged large amounts of money for rebuilding after the war. Ukraine is looking at rapidly integrating into or closer to the EU, which has a lot of experience at integrating Eastern European countries.
Post-war future Ukraine is looking to be a lot more positive than it would have been under Russian control or if it had stayed in the Russian sphere of influence.

Quoting for future reference.

Hope you're right, but I've got some doubts

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everyone genuinely should have invested in Poland, that economy is rocketing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

Yes, 300k births are a lot, but deaths were still about 500-600k per year before covid and 300k births are not that helpful in fixing that awfully skewed population pyramid.
You will also probably see the bigger slumps in births this year due to both the progressing pace of conscription during 2022 and the 9 months time of pregnancy. Poorer countries in the EU are also noted for having really troublesome brain drain to richer parts but that will only be a problem years from when the war ends. Personally I hope Ukraine can pull through but after the last 20 years of lovely rebuilding effort of various countries by the west I trust a successful westen rebuilding effort when I see it. Ukraine is likely still better off than under Russian control with the associated sanctions and neverending corruption, but it is still gonna be real hard post war for the country to bounce back economically and still pay off the massive costs for this war.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Poorer EU countries definitely have brain drain, which is especially damaging when they invest in education and those educated people move to richer countries to earn a lot more money. However, they still experience much higher growth for quite a while until they get closer to the rich countries and the drain abates. You could see that with Poland, where a lot of people moved to Germany and worked there until Poland caught up enough. The EU, for better and for worse, is run by true believers in free movement (of capital, labour, goods), and having an educated workforce and low wages attracts companies that want to sell to the other EU countries. Also, go through some of the poorer regions and you will find tons of infrastructure built with EU transfer funds.

FWIW, I doubt Ukraine can join the EU this decade, and certainly not until Poland and Hungary have been dealt with and EU decision processes reformed to keep it from being constantly gridlocked.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1694325435490828627

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1694282630244544768

If you listen to the Russian accounts, an Mi-8 helicopter got so lost it crossed the front lines unscathed, landed at a Ukrainian airfield, and before they could take off again, two of the crew got killed and the third got captured.

If you listen to the Ukrainians, a defecting pilot flew the helicopter across the front line by prior arrangement with the GUR, landed, and then killed his companions who weren't aware of the change in flight path, before surrendering himself and the helicopter.

Either way it's a pretty bad sign for Russia whether it's now not just cornered infantry surrendering, but pilots defecting with their craft OR their pilots not even having a clear idea of what airfields they're landing at, on which side of the front line.

EDIT

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20857

According to the Kyiv Post, Ukrainian intelligence even evacuated the pilots family from Russia and the helicopter didn't just have its crew, but also a shipment full of spare parts for Su-27 and Su-30 planes. I'm not sure if Ukraine has any of those rolling around still, but presumably some airfield in Russia no longer has their needed spare parts.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 23, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
Ukraine does have Su-27s, never had 30s

I think they usually have consumer GPS devices to avoid getting lost. And Poltava would be pretty lost.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 23, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

If you listen to the Russian accounts, an Mi-8 helicopter got so lost it crossed the front lines unscathed, landed at a Ukrainian airfield, and before they could take off again, two of the crew got killed and the third got captured.

Love the rissian tg joke: "if you want to get instabanned at Fighterbomber, just write"compass" in the comments"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OddObserver posted:

^^^^

I think they usually have consumer GPS devices to avoid getting lost. And Poltava would be pretty lost.

Ukraine had *one* Su-33, a prototype they sold to China in 2001 after Russia refused to sell them any Su-3x airframes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, in the photos there's a document with what appears to be blood splatter. So someone was wounded or shot.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, in the photos there's a document with what appears to be blood splatter. So someone was wounded or shot.

Both versions of the story say that 2 crew members were killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

OddObserver posted:

^^^^

Not yet at least, but give it a few more helicopter defectors and...