Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

skooma512 posted:

I did appreciate SG-1's villain power curve over the course of the series and how the solutions built on top of each other, though by the end they were running out of power levels and it was getting kind of ludicrous.

Speaking of ludicrous, Earth by the end of the series was an intergalactic power with a fleet of FTL warships, went from zero to major player in the Milky Way while crushing the previous major player, in the span of a decade. All of this without the larger population even knowing what was going on even though Earth had been attacked multiple times.

I am revealing how incredibly deeply nerdy I am/was, but I read something years ago about a Stargate program where the British discovered it as part of their Egyptian expeditions around the turn of the century, and they had their main Stargate operations going from an offworld planet. It mate so much sense and I get why SG-1 stayed grounded to Earth but... I pretty sure I'm getting to the first episode of their intergalactic fleet, and doesn't that literally lift off from (possibly) Area 51?

They also have multiple Goa'uld and Asgard motherships just hanging around in orbit/the solar system? Like does no amateur astronomer see that?

A storyline where the public finds out would have been sick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

EvilHawk posted:

I am revealing how incredibly deeply nerdy I am/was, but I read something years ago about a Stargate program where the British discovered it as part of their Egyptian expeditions around the turn of the century, and they had their main Stargate operations going from an offworld planet. It mate so much sense and I get why SG-1 stayed grounded to Earth but... I pretty sure I'm getting to the first episode of their intergalactic fleet, and doesn't that literally lift off from (possibly) Area 51?

They also have multiple Goa'uld and Asgard motherships just hanging around in orbit/the solar system? Like does no amateur astronomer see that?

A storyline where the public finds out would have been sick, though.

Depending on the distances and relative size and position of the ships, an astronomer may not have been able to notice.

...Although a ha'tak is literally a giant gold plated pyramid so I imagine the albedo is quite high. I've seen the ISS at dusk in a major city without even planning for it, and Starlink is known issue for astronomers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A ha'tak is about 700 by 700 by 400 meters, so it'd be a visible thing in Earth orbit. Wasn't there some techno-babble about Asgard ships having some kind of cloaking tech that makes them invisible to mere Tau'ri detectors?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I seem to remember this coming up in the one of the episodes, might have been a clipshow where the window dressing is telling you all the poo poo they had to cover up.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In the goa'uld asteroid trap episode they do explicitly have men in black take an amateur astronomer in and "persuade" him not to talk about seeing it, and it's left to the viewer's imagination what that meant :tinfoil:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

redshirt posted:

100%. He's her superior officer. AND IMO he knew he wasn't good enough for her.
That's one thing Firefly got right, Malcolm and Zoe were soldiers together and while they had chemistry they weren't into each other like that.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
From his guest spots on SG-1 I figured Rodney was more of a sci-tech trouble shooter that got sent all around to deal with poo poo going bad and then get reassigned quickly to prevent him really upsetting the more permanent experts of a team.

He's an excellent choice as an initial guy to get Atlantis up and running when the big problems will be at the most urgent but once things are stable he will just be reassigned again. Yeah that didn't work out to well.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Rappaport posted:

A ha'tak is about 700 by 700 by 400 meters, so it'd be a visible thing in Earth orbit. Wasn't there some techno-babble about Asgard ships having some kind of cloaking tech that makes them invisible to mere Tau'ri detectors?

Yeah Thor said Asgard ships were undetectable by Tau'ri tech, and in the first replicator episode when O'Neill disappears, Sam says something to the same effect.

They came up with all sorts of ridiculous explanations for the poo poo that happened in and around earth orbit, I'd assume they would also monitor for persistent chatter about a giant pyramid in space and shut it down.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

E. Revenant posted:

From his guest spots on SG-1 I figured Rodney was more of a sci-tech trouble shooter that got sent all around to deal with poo poo going bad and then get reassigned quickly to prevent him really upsetting the more permanent experts of a team.

He's an excellent choice as an initial guy to get Atlantis up and running when the big problems will be at the most urgent but once things are stable he will just be reassigned again. Yeah that didn't work out to well.

Problem is with a top secret program like that with technology and physics that are, unknown to human science, you’re stuck with whoever you got.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol

Also they should of made the show SG2 so the cast was different every week.

because you know they keep on dying.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I forgot that Carter was married to Ted Benneke from Breaking Bad in the episode 2010. LOL

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I forgot that Carter was married to Ted Benneke from Breaking Bad in the episode 2010. LOL

Was that the ambassador?

Also, unrelatedly, early in my watch of Atlantis, I find myself yelling at the screen at Mckay frequently.

"Shut up!" "Why is here?" "You couldn't find someone more qualified than the guy who sexually harassed Samantha Carter?" Etc.

And I know it's not just me, because other characters tell him to shut up all the time. Weird creative choice to bring that guy onto the spin-off show.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
oh no. I really messed up because I thought this was the MGS1 thread. Disregard everything I said

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
So I never really got into Atlantis when it was airing, but since I've been doing this SG1 re-watch I thought I'd check it out.

What's the best way to integrate Atlantis into a SG-1 re-watch? Just alternate seasons after they introduce the Atlantis subplot on SG-1?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

like 6 pages back someone was brave enough to admit they liked universe and i do too!!!!!!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ChairmanMauzer posted:

So I never really got into Atlantis when it was airing, but since I've been doing this SG1 re-watch I thought I'd check it out.

What's the best way to integrate Atlantis into a SG-1 re-watch? Just alternate seasons after they introduce the Atlantis subplot on SG-1?

By original airdate? :shrug:
Or maybe by ignoring it completely outside of the crossover episodes.

GolfHole posted:

like 6 pages back someone was brave enough to admit they liked universe and i do too!!!!!!

:ohdear:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Pirate both shows and set them to play alternating episodes like the original run!
It watches fine just doing SG-1 then doing Atlantis and going to be the easiest,

If you want the real experience, because there's a few episodes where something happening in one show effects the other in small ways.
You could do alternating seasons but usually what match up are finales, so watch the openers back to back and the finales back to back switching for the mid season is gonna be a slog though if you do that.

I mean worst case you just go "oh that's solves that problem conveniently" when it was actually a season long arc in the other show.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Found this spreadsheet someone on Reddit made if you want to get really granular about it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5T6bk5bS9LDaIVXR55-agOd_FYgTN0TZcpZDfvnMg4/pub?output=html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I'm not even bothering. Like I just watched an Atlantis episode that had some SG:1 characters in it, and I can assume the corresponding SG:1 episode had a reference, but it's too much work to alternate.

Also, no one does clip shows like Stargate. Sometimes they are legitimately good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

I'm not even bothering. Like I just watched an Atlantis episode that had some SG:1 characters in it, and I can assume the corresponding SG:1 episode had a reference, but it's too much work to alternate.

Also, no one does clip shows like Stargate. Sometimes they are legitimately good.

100 and 200, if you skip them you are missing some of the best.

Not be be confused with 100 days

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GolfHole posted:

It was me and I stand by it! :hai:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Universe was BSG lite, the first season spends most of its time establishing how hosed they are and they just spend too long doing it. Season 2 it finds legs and starts working. Then it's done. I really feel like universe was going to be great if it kept going. It's like firefly a start with no middle or ending.

Baltar lite is annoying for most of it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

100 and 200, if you skip them you are missing some of the best.

Not be be confused with 100 days

Oh I'm not talking about skipping SG1, I'm talking about trying to alternate SG1 and Atlantis as they aired.

200 is one of the funniest TV shows ever. They took the piss out of themselves.

"I'm the General and I say make it spin!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pixaal posted:

Universe was BSG lite, the first season spends most of its time establishing how hosed they are and they just spend too long doing it. Season 2 it finds legs and starts working. Then it's done. I really feel like universe was going to be great if it kept going. It's like firefly a start with no middle or ending.

Still pissed a decade plus later at the insane cliffhanger. Brutal poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wanted to know how something was altering the CMB

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

SGU was made to be, or at least came across as, a poor imitation of BSG. They got the looks of it fairly right, but nothing else. It wasn't as good as BSG (not even the poorer S3/S4), and it wasn't as fun as SG-1. It was a nothingburger.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

itry posted:

SGU was made to be, or at least came across as, a poor imitation of BSG. They got the looks of it fairly right, but nothing else. It wasn't as good as BSG (not even the poorer S3/S4), and it wasn't as fun as SG-1. It was a nothingburger.

gently caress you buddy!!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Biplane posted:

gently caress you buddy!!!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Aragosta posted:

Found this spreadsheet someone on Reddit made if you want to get really granular about it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5T6bk5bS9LDaIVXR55-agOd_FYgTN0TZcpZDfvnMg4/pub?output=html
How dare they call Stargate Infinity non-canon!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Window of Opportunity" is the best SG:1 episode. It has everything that makes SG:1 great: Cool sci fi premise, tons of humor, and serious tragic vibes, all in one episode.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Teal'C is such a good character that they ripped him off with Drax.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

"Window of Opportunity" is the best SG:1 episode. It has everything that makes SG:1 great: Cool sci fi premise, tons of humor, and serious tragic vibes, all in one episode.

I just watched that yesterday and forgot how good it was.

"In the middle of my backswing?!" remains one of the funniest lines in the show. Daniel has some fantastic facial expressions as well ("He...read...the...briefing?" :confused:)

edit: also is S04E08 the first appearance of the P90 as the weapon of choice?

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 22, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's their first appearance, according to the fandom wiki.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Stink Billyums posted:

I liked guessing whether an episode would take place on wet sand dune planet, rainforest planet, or gravel pit planet

Hey now don't forget Sandbox planet

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Put some respect on Canadian office campus planet.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There was also sulfur planet. Edit: The one with the blue crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Trast posted:

Put some respect on Canadian office campus planet.

I think the Tolan homeworld was on the UBC campus(?)