Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

"Biomedical Journal" sounds like a fake journal name on TV

Fraud Guarantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sunny Side Up posted:

if i understood correctly, they didn't have quorum so the vote is delayed until Nov

drat, I wanted the infection control program manager at Zuckerberg General Hospital to decide if N95s work

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

NeonPunk posted:

Can some of those doctor or scientists in here tell me if science direct is reputable or not?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2319417023000872

Because there's a study that straight up says that yup, Covid is airborne AIDS.

The use of the word AIDS is straight up wrong though. AIDS is clinically defined as a stage of HIV infection. You cannot have AIDS without having HIV. I don't know enough about whatever the paper is doing but they should not be using the term AIDS.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Rosalind posted:

The use of the word AIDS is straight up wrong though. AIDS is clinically defined as a stage of HIV infection. You cannot have AIDS without having HIV. I don't know enough about whatever the paper is doing but they should not be using the term AIDS.

idk what the paper is doing but typically it's colloquialism/shorthand.

on the comparison itself, it's a dead horse in this thread and we can just repost some old long posts, but there are plenty of similarities and multiple official orgs (WHO? NIH? can't recall) have made the comparison, themselves

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this the subforum where you can call anything "aids"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I think Leonardi put it something like “Ebola is airborne and absolutely dumpsters the immune system but it’s not airborne AIDS either.”

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rosalind posted:

like, if virus A will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome and a new virus B will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome that is very similar to virus A, yet not defined, why not describe it with a common vernacular if the immunodeficiency syndrome are similar so as to signify the significance of the new immunodeficiency syndrome that is emerging? easy messaging for a laymen to understand the threat? seems reasonable

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

NeonPunk posted:

Can some of those doctor or scientists in here tell me if science direct is reputable or not?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2319417023000872

Because there's a study that straight up says that yup, Covid is airborne AIDS.

not this poo poo again

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

no lube so what posted:

like, if virus A will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome and a new virus B will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome that is very similar to virus A, yet not defined, why not describe it with a common vernacular if the immunodeficiency syndrome are similar so as to signify the significance of the new immunodeficiency syndrome that is emerging? easy messaging for a laymen to understand the threat? seems reasonable

i am of the same mind, but there was a long back and forth discussing whether this framing belittles the enormous efforts made to move HIV/AIDS into the public consciousness and effect action

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sunny Side Up posted:

idk what the paper is doing but typically it's colloquialism/shorthand.

on the comparison itself, it's a dead horse in this thread and we can just repost some old long posts, but there are plenty of similarities and multiple official orgs (WHO? NIH? can't recall) have made the comparison, themselves

A scientific paper published in a medical journal should not be using colloquialisms for the topic of interest in the study lol. Again this paper is not the type of paper that I feel very comfortable critiquing but if they are not giving a strict definition of their primary outcome of interest (i.e. what they call "AIDS") that would be a serious concern of mine.

I know I will not change minds in this thread about calling COVID "airborne AIDS" but I really do detest the term as someone who has primarily worked in HIV research. Like I just can't imagine being in a room of people living with HIV and using the term and not feeling like the world's biggest inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and to me that's a pretty good indicator that I should not be using the term.

I don't care what people at the NIH or WHO or really any agency say on the matter. I recognize that COVID can cause immunodeficiencies, but I am not ever going to call it "AIDS" because that has a specific definition that it absolutely does not meet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

no lube so what posted:

they could do that, but unfortunately the space has been staked to a particular virus because public health communications has always been dogshit.

Rosalind is right, even though it's a perfectly cromulent generic descriptor, it's been reserved and enculturated, and put into practice as a very very specific one.

... because the discipline and the society are in dialectic, you see :words:

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

no lube so what posted:

It's because AIDS is the term we primarily use for the terminal stage of HIV, a much different disease

Using the term when it is mainly understood to be in relation to HIV is misleading

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tristeham posted:

not this poo poo again

Turn on your monitor

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Rosalind posted:

A scientific paper published in a medical journal should not be using colloquialisms for the topic of interest in the study lol. Again this paper is not the type of paper that I feel very comfortable critiquing but if they are not giving a strict definition of their primary outcome of interest (i.e. what they call "AIDS") that would be a serious concern of mine.

I know I will not change minds in this thread about calling COVID "airborne AIDS" but I really do detest the term as someone who has primarily worked in HIV research. Like I just can't imagine being in a room of people living with HIV and using the term and not feeling like the world's biggest inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and to me that's a pretty good indicator that I should not be using the term.

I don't care what people at the NIH or WHO or really any agency say on the matter. I recognize that COVID can cause immunodeficiencies, but I am not ever going to call it "AIDS" because that has a specific definition that it absolutely does not meet.

no idea on the paper. i understand & appreciate the discomfort. the messaging right now is that covid is a nothingburger. rather than "every subsequent infection has a 20% chance of permanent injury" and people are averaging 2-3 infections per year.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna call it IBS

Immunobroken Syndrome

ahf uck!

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

It's because AIDS is the term we primarily use for the terminal stage of HIV, a much different disease

Using the term when it is mainly understood to be in relation to HIV is misleading

what about arthritis, it describes an end stage that could have been caused by several different things. Is it misleading to say "X could cause arthritis"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

no lube so what posted:

Because to certain people AIDS means the gay disease that gays get because it's gay.

So just because COVID is airborne and can cause people to Aquire an Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, you can't call it airborne AIDS.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Being allowed to call it AIDS (airborne or not) here isn't really a hill worth dying on. That COVID can give immune deficiencies is the important part.

If people really want to discuss the immune deficiency angle, they should jump into the very large study I posted today as it is good poo poo (from a science standpoint).

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Comparing COVID - a disease that has killed and disabled tens of millions of people - to AIDS is offensive. Please be more considerate and compare it to the common cold and call anyone who doesn't want to get it mentally ill.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i'm gonna call it COvid INduced T-cELl PROblems

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Pingui posted:

Overall good news for the COVID vaccinated crew and terrible news for the unvaccinated. It should be noted that vaccinations in HK were Sinovac and Pfizer, which would change the specifics of the immune response. The authors don't make the distinction, however the first dose distribution was 61.7% BioNTech and 38.3% Sinovac in general (according to study further down), it is something to consider as well when looking at the age distribution.

Glad to see a reduction of associated immune disease post-vaccination, but take it with a grain of salt, as the authors do not appear fully confident in that part of the results.

Risk of autoimmune diseases following COVID-19 and the potential protective effect from vaccination: a population-based cohort study

Unassociated vaccination distribution in HK chart:

Source (for the specific vaccine distribution mentioned at the start of the post as well): https://www.mdpi.com/2076-393X/10/5/747

Edit: It should also be noted that the vast majority of cases in Hong Kong have been Omicron soup, as the case distribution in HK looks like this:

well, poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i believe calling things "aids" has already been litigated in SAD.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pingui posted:

Being allowed to call it AIDS (airborne or not) here isn't really a hill worth dying on. That COVID can give immune deficiencies is the important part.

If people really want to discuss the immune deficiency angle, they should jump into the very large study I posted today as it is good poo poo (from a science standpoint).

Do you happen to have some studies on COVID and pregnancy handy?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
trust your doctor and only take medication they prescribe and dont horde

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

covid can't even decide if it's an immune deficiency disease or a spicy immune system disease, pick your lane you stupid virus

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Here's that study, which was immediately lost in the extremely thread-germane chatter about food prep and MDs vs DOs:

Pingui posted:

Overall good news for the COVID vaccinated crew and terrible news for the unvaccinated. It should be noted that vaccinations in HK were Sinovac and Pfizer, which would change the specifics of the immune response. The authors don't make the distinction, however the first dose distribution was 61.7% BioNTech and 38.3% Sinovac in general (according to study further down), it is something to consider as well when looking at the age distribution.

Glad to see a reduction of associated immune disease post-vaccination, but take it with a grain of salt, as the authors do not appear fully confident in that part of the results.

Risk of autoimmune diseases following COVID-19 and the potential protective effect from vaccination: a population-based cohort study

Unassociated vaccination distribution in HK chart:

Source (for the specific vaccine distribution mentioned at the start of the post as well): https://www.mdpi.com/2076-393X/10/5/747

Edit: It should also be noted that the vast majority of cases in Hong Kong have been Omicron soup, as the case distribution in HK looks like this:

Anyway folks, please stop calling it airborne AIDS. It's not, even if (like many other infections) it doesn't do great things for the immune system. Ty

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Wisdom

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ima call it Multiple Known and Unknown Lingering T-cell Replenishment Antipathies

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

The YouTube video was public but has since become private. Hooray for transparency!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
MAPS

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

States out east have too many counties

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

States out east have too many counties

[:smug:s Rhode Islandishly]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
fine, lets call it fake aids, fAIDS

"going to the Applebees, gonna get fAIDed", etc

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

jetz0r posted:

Do you happen to have some studies on COVID and pregnancy handy?

Stuff like this? - or are you looking for something more specific?

Small n etc. (I don't think I've seen one yet, where that wasn't the case):
Neuromotor repertoires in infants exposed to maternal COVID-19 during pregnancy: a cohort study

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/13/1/e069194.abstract posted:

Abstract
Objective To evaluate neuromotor repertoires and developmental milestones in infants exposed to antenatal COVID-19.

Design Longitudinal cohort study.

Setting Hospital-based study in Los Angeles, USA and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil between March 2020 and December 2021.

Participants Infants born to mothers with COVID-19 during pregnancy and prepandemic control infants from the Graz University Database.

Interventions General movement assessment (GMA) videos between 3 and 5 months post-term age were collected and clinical assessments/developmental milestones evaluated at 6–8 months of age. Cases were matched by gestational age, gender and post-term age to prepandemic neurotypical unexposed controls from the database.

Main outcome measures Motor Optimality Scores Revised (MOS-R) at 3–5 months. Presence of developmental delay (DD) at 6–8 months.

Results 239 infants were enrolled; 124 cases (83 in the USA/41 in Brazil) and 115 controls. GMA was assessed in 115 cases and 115 controls; 25% were preterm. Median MOS-R in cases was 23 (IQR 21–24, range 9–28) vs 25 (IQR 24–26, range 20–28) in controls, p<0.001. Sixteen infants (14%) had MOS-R scores <20 vs zero controls, p<0.001. At 6–8 months, 13 of 109 case infants (12%) failed to attain developmental milestones; all 115 control infants had normal development. The timing of maternal infection in pregnancy (first, second or third trimester) or COVID-19 disease severity (NIH categories asymptomatic, mild/moderate or severe/critical) was not associated with suboptimal MOS-R or DD. Maternal fever in pregnancy was associated with DD (OR 3.7; 95% CI 1.12 to 12.60) but not suboptimal MOS-R (OR 0.25; 95% CI 0.04 to 0.96).

Conclusions Compared with prepandemic controls, infants exposed to antenatal COVID-19 more frequently had suboptimal neuromotor development.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Couple of other very important and large studies that got lost in the fray (like the immune study above, click to them for graphs and context):

CGI Stardust posted:

*shaking fist* goddamnit Al-Aly!! you've done it again!!

want to give this more of a thorough read. guess we'll see the same criticism of this as of all his other VA-based studies - older population, probably not in fantastic health to start with, predominantly male; may have been people in the "healthy" cohort who had COVID but didn't test positive (or didn't report it); long-term infection effects may vary by variant, vaccination status, treatment quality etc. and this study lumps them all togther (although it does try to correct for some of this afaict from a quick skim)

but: there are some pretty pictures for the thread!

if i'm reading this right - 7% of non-hospitalised infections, 31% of hospitalised infections cause PASC, which seems to be about in line with other estimates. DALY is Disability-Adjusted Life Year, the amount of healthy life "lost" by the symptom.

NS (grey) means non-significant; not sufficiently different from the controls. kind of intrigued by the significant (albeit small) increase in dysautonomia

Pingui posted:

"COVID-19 may trigger new-onset high blood pressure"

Study proper:
"Incidence of New-Onset Hypertension Post–COVID-19: Comparison With Influenza"

As always - particularly with US studies - there are some caveats on healthcare access and the like. The standard caveat of correlation not equaling causation is also noted. That said, the result is fairly substantial and unsurprising.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

no lube so what posted:

what about arthritis, it describes an end stage that could have been caused by several different things. Is it misleading to say "X could cause arthritis"

Please don't compare arthritis to either covid or aids

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

oops! they prescribed ivermectin!

Troutful
May 31, 2011

call_of_qthulhu posted:

just the idea that high heat kills allergens, not so much peanut oil. the folks i know still avoid peanut oil because of that "most"

high heat might permanently denature some allergens but I'm not going to look it up

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its when you because a true tower of pills like 65+ y/o's that you actually have to do this. you're basically a human/pill hybrid jenga tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

bobtheconqueror posted:

The YouTube video was public but has since become private. Hooray for transparency!

The public comments were 30 mins of them getting put on blast so I can see why. How spineless.