Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

trust your doctor and only take medication they prescribe and dont horde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiwjAj0zfKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
doctors are good, actually

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

bob wachter is a dumb fucker who eats poo poo

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Edit: this is probably just something that I should do more research on and improve my literature knowledge before dropping a link that I don't understand

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Aug 22, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mumbling posted:

The public comments were 30 mins of them getting put on blast so I can see why. How spineless.

Yeah somebody shared this summary of the thing from Twitter. An obviously biased source but at least gets the gist of the meeting and recounts the public comments fairly well:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1694019680371978607.html

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Cheer up everyone, it's still a contagious heart attack.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Excellent news, especially the Regeneron funding which is very big for the immunocompromised:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-govt-awards-14-bln-development-new-covid-therapies-vaccines-2023-08-22/ posted:

US govt awards $1.4 bln for development of new COVID therapies, vaccines

The U.S. government said on Tuesday it had awarded $1.4 billion for the development of new therapies and vaccines against COVID-19, including a $326 million contract with Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN.O) for a next-generation antibody therapy for prevention of infections.

The funding to Regeneron is a part of a $5 billion initiative dubbed "Project NextGen" by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

Regeneron had earlier developed a monoclonal antibody therapy against COVID, which was authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in November 2020, but its use was limited early last year after it was found to be unlikely to work against the Omicron variant.

The funding also includes $1 billion for four mid-stage clinical trials of new COVID vaccines, and $100 million to Global Health Investment Corp - a non-profit organization that invests in new technologies that will accelerate responses to diseases.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
doesn't matter!

Ham Cheeks has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Aug 22, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Please don't compare arthritis to either covid or aids

listen to this person

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVTZgwYwVo

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Aug 22, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

Excellent news, especially the Regeneron funding which is very big for the immunocompromised:

Congrats to Regeneron shareholders!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

the best part of this video is the guard speaking spanish for some reason

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

Congrats to Regeneron shareholders!

That's a bit crass I think. Regeneron did make a product that worked well as the only functional alternative to vaccines, for the immunocompromised. It is extremely good that they are getting funds to make an updated version.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

the best part of this video is the guard speaking spanish for some reason

Referring to Sanofi and GSK as "some sketchy offbrand company" imo

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
folks around me are starting to get sick again, the latest variant was detected here recently

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah, they're highly reputable fleecejobs.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

"Biomedical Journal" sounds like a fake journal name on TV

There are a lot of legit journals that have stupid-sounding names because all the good ones were taken by the 1900s, but yeah, "X journal" is pretty weird phrasing.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ultimately this is doubly infuriating because regular-rear end protein folding and bond energy interaction analysis / computer crystallography is a legitimate branch of research. people disingenuously labeling everything with LLM / AI nonsense just dilutes all of it across the board.

My partner's job is developing protein folding prediction software and as far as I know, he only uses complicated physics-based modeling, no AI involved. I'm not qualified to say that AI is or isn't useful here, but there's clearly plenty of room to innovate without it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ham Cheeks posted:

doesn't matter!

it was HIV and Hepatitis that they (NIH) were comparing COVID to:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

low tier pharma lol

Troutful posted:

My partner's job is developing protein folding prediction software and as far as I know, he only uses complicated physics-based modeling, no AI involved. I'm not qualified to say that AI is or isn't useful here, but there's clearly plenty of room to innovate without it.

It is and it isn’t, really- poo poo like GPT and LLMs will give you absolute garbage in this space but I’ve been using ML for binding targeting for like 5 years at this point

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is there something people aren't getting here about "COVID is an airborne disease that causes immune dysfunction" being a completely separate discussion than "AIDS is a completely different disease and calling COVID 'airborne AIDS' is no more correct than calling it 'like a flu'"

It's just throwing mud in the water for no reason to conflate the two things

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

i have bad news about the credibility of this "NIH." sounds like a business play just like that Biomedical Paper tbh.

quote:

Artificial Intelligence at the NIH
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) makes a wealth of biomedical data available to research communities and aims to make these data findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable—or FAIR. Additionally, the NIH seeks to make these data usable with artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) applications.

NIH has unique needs that can drive the development of novel approaches and application of existing tools in AI/ML. From electronic health record data, omics data, imaging data, disease-specific data, and beyond, NIH is poised to create and implement large and far-reaching applications using AI and its components.

Learn more about artificial intelligence activities at the NIH below.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks, my memory isn't what it used to be, something must be going around but I haven't the foggiest!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

It is and it isn’t, really- poo poo like GPT and LLMs will give you absolute garbage in this space but I’ve been using ML for binding targeting for like 5 years at this point

The devil's greatest trick was convincing people that a machine learning system that predicts text tokens is a general purpose AI

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

The devil's greatest trick was convincing people that a machine learning system that predicts text tokens is a general purpose AI

To be fair, FDA and NIH aren’t drinking the kool-aid with this stuff, my group has been on their advisory board for a while

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

That's a bit crass I think. Regeneron did make a product that worked well as the only functional alternative to vaccines, for the immunocompromised. It is extremely good that they are getting funds to make an updated version.

Yes you're right of course. I just get tired of seeing the government willing to throw money at a problem but unwilling to reccomend clean air guidelines, masking, etc...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

drat, I guess this thread will radicalize everyone into building pipe bombs

be sure you have a prescription

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DickParasite posted:

Yes you're right of course. I just get tired of seeing the government willing to throw money at a problem but unwilling to reccomend clean air guidelines, masking, etc...

buddy we couldn't get the government to recommend substantial clean air guidelines for the good of the entire loving planet before covid, why are you frustrated now?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

doctors are good, actually

doctors are fake, discuss

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

I understand completely :arghfist::smith:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

buddy we couldn't get the government to recommend substantial clean air guidelines for the good of the entire loving planet before covid, why are you frustrated now?

I think I'm just getting old.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

There's always more and it's always worse

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Buffer posted:

I think Leonardi put it something like “Ebola is airborne and absolutely dumpsters the immune system but it’s not airborne AIDS either.”

I'm going to quote him in full again because I just love the phrasing

No, COVID is not “airborne AIDS." But what it does to your immune system is still scary

Anthony Leonardi posted:

If someone gets an Ebola infection, their blood is a T cell graveyard. It's a site of cremation. It's just chaos, it's insane. But we don't call Ebola 'airborne HIV' or 'airborne AIDS.'

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Referring to my posts here ofc

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

Exactly. It's so routine as to be predictable.

If you saw how many fucks the US government (and in general most non-politics-brained citizens) gave about air quality or public health before COVID, how can you be shocked, dismayed, and/or doomy over the non-response to covid? everything about what happened from early 2020 to today was entirely predictable, down to the jingoistic rhetoric targeted at countries that did enact meaningful covid responses.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
People are allowed to be angry that breathing the wrong air even once now comes with a 1 in 5 chance of longterm illness.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

If you saw how many fucks the US government (and in general most non-politics-brained citizens) gave about air quality or public health before COVID, how can you be shocked, dismayed, and/or doomy over the non-response to covid?

Well I'll give you two reasons:
1. A predictable tragedy is not a lesser tragedy
2. Some genuinely hopeful developments happened in 2020 that were then dumpstered as soon as it became politically expedient and seeing how rapidly people were willing to give up on doing anything better when told to disbelieve their lying eyes is, itself, tragic.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I would like to, personally. I got all the other rounds as fast as possible but it's gonna be about a year since my last dose of Moderna and I am not excited. I've almost never felt so hosed up. it you add up all the days I guess I've been on my rear end for 9-10 days from all the shots so far. I didn't get COVID yet though.

I feel like I developed a mild tickle in my heart that persisted for like a month after my second round of Moderna (although my first vaccination series was Pfizer). A doctor in America and a doctor on turkey said "oh yeah it's probably the Moderna," Turkish doctor told me never to take Moderna again. Lol

Another vote for novavax. I had astrazenica, Pfizer and novavax. The others left an achy arm. Novavax felt fine, no response. Novavax also is meant to be more effective against a wide range of strains which is a bonus.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Exactly. It's so routine as to be predictable.

If you saw how many fucks the US government (and in general most non-politics-brained citizens) gave about air quality or public health before COVID, how can you be shocked, dismayed, and/or doomy over the non-response to covid? everything about what happened from early 2020 to today was entirely predictable, down to the jingoistic rhetoric targeted at countries that did enact meaningful covid responses.

a whole lot of people thought this time there would be a real response. and in answer to that biden was voted into office and ended covid.

a moment of awakening soon discarded

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bedpan posted:

a whole lot of people thought this time there would be a real response. and in answer to that biden was voted into office and ended covid.

a moment of awakening soon discarded

lmao :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die :shrug: