Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any tips for countering the shield guys in Amid Evil Black Labyrinth? In the beginning I could circle strafe & punch them, but they're starting to show up in greater numbers & mixed with other enemies where that's not really feasible anymore.

Fire rocke... I mean, planets to their feet, or ideally just behind or to the side their feet. Or just use soul mode. Or the scythe (acceptable if there is a group of 3 or more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

skasion posted:

Scythe is the only thing that seems to deal with them effectively, esp. in a crowd. I always saved a shot or two of purple just in case those assholes showed up. You can also try and kill them with splash damage from the soul power mode of the planet launcher—it takes a couple shots but they don’t seem to block it as long as the projectile doesn’t hit them.

Turin Turambar posted:

Fire rocke... I mean, planets to their feet, or ideally just behind or to the side their feet. Or just use soul mode. Or the scythe (acceptable if there is a group of 3 or more)

Ah yeah, I've been doing the rocket splash damage trick also. Haven't busted out the Scythe yet, but looks like I might have to. I always have tons of ammo for it anyways, so why not.

E:

Oxyclean posted:

I think when they attack, they lift their shield up a bit and you can also aim at their feet more easily.

But yeah, I usually just brought the scythe out since they so often came in pairs cause there's not really a lot of good reason to sit on all of that ammo.

Yeah, I've also done some of this. Aim at their feet when they lift the shield. There are no less than four (maybe even five or six) of these guys I'm fighting in the current area, so I'll try and line em up and Scythe em.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 22, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think when they attack, they lift their shield up a bit and you can also aim at their feet more easily.

But yeah, I usually just brought the scythe out since they so often came in pairs cause there's not really a lot of good reason to sit on all of that ammo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_gzfAMdNs
https://www.hl2rtx.com/

It's just an announcement, this isn't going to be finished anytime soon.

OK but will it work with MMod?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Question about Call of the Machine: in the secret level McGee station, there's a secret powerup in the middle of a half-pipe with ice physics. I got to it by rocket jumping, but is there actually a way to do cool skating tricks in Quake?

Also, I swear I remember the railgun being a lot more powerful.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

anilEhilated posted:

Also, I swear I remember the railgun being a lot more powerful.

Railgun was nerfed in SP for the remaster, remains unchanged in MP. Tons of discussion about it a page or two ago. They're gonna buff it a bit in a future patch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I thought I was at the end of The Reckoning, looks like I need to go to the Strogg MOON BASE and do some poo poo.

I assume this is the same moon base from the secret level in the vanilla Q2 campaign, and I wonder if Joker and Bitterman could have conceivably crossed paths based on the timeline. I’m probably giving this more thought than the devs did.

Likewise, I watched the Civvie episode about Quake 4 and I’m trying to piece together the timeline between Quake 2 and 4; I know 4 mentions Bitterman taking down the Makron, but then another Makron shows up in 4 (and looks different), and a bunch of the old enemies are totally redesigned with new abilities (Gladiators, Iron Maidens).

Civvie says that no one cares about the Strogg, but I’ll go on record as saying that I care - I think they’re a neat spin on the Borg “cyborg hive mind” trope but with a very visually distinct ramshackle crude cybernetic component where parts are just bolted together and grafted on with no regard for aesthetics (or anesthetics). Based on the backstory you get this sense that the Strogg picked a fight with Earth without knowing what we were capable of, we drove them off, and then chased them back to their homeworld where it turns out they’re not particularly good in a fight (considering how anyone who successfully makes planetfall in Quake 2, its expansions, or Quake 4 pretty much single-handedly steamroll them in single combat).

What I’m saying is I’d play more Quake games with the Strogg, I think they’re cool. :kiddo:

For anyone looking for live-action Strogg, check out the movie ‘Virus’ which has pretty much the same aesthetics and is almost entirely done with (loving fantastic) practical effects.

Incidentally, the movie toys for Virus were done by the same company that did the Quake 2 figures. :eng101:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 22, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xenomrph posted:

I thought I was at the end of The Reckoning, looks like I need to go to the Strogg MOON BASE and do some poo poo.

I assume this is the same moon base from the secret level in the vanilla Q2 campaign, and I wonder if Joker and Bitterman could have conceivably crossed paths based on the timeline. I’m probably giving this more thought than the devs did.

Likewise, I watched the Civvie episode about Quake 4 and I’m trying to piece together the timeline between Quake 2 and 4; I know 4 mentions Bitterman taking down the Makron, but then another Makron shows up in 4 (and looks different), and a bunch of the old enemies are totally redesigned with new abilities (Gladiators, Iron Maidens).

Civvie says that no one cares about the Strogg, but I’ll go on record as saying that I care - I think they’re a neat spin on the Borg “cyborg hive mind” trope but with a very visually distinct ramshackle crude cybernetic component where parts are just bolted together and grafted on with no regard for aesthetics (or anesthetics). Based on the backstory you get this sense that the Strogg picked a fight with Earth without knowing what we were capable of, we drove them off, and then chased them back to their homeworld where it turns out they’re not particularly good in a fight (considering how anyone who successfully makes planetfall in Quake 2, its expansions, or Quake 4 pretty much single-handedly steamroll them in single combat).

What I’m saying is I’d play more Quake games with the Strogg, I think they’re cool. :kiddo:

For anyone looking for live-action Strogg, check out the movie ‘Virus’ which has pretty much the same aesthetics and is almost entirely done with (loving fantastic) practical effects.

Incidentally, the movie toys for Virus were done by the same company that did the Quake 2 figures. :eng101:

I believe the secret level in base q2 is a communication satellite, not a moon base.

edit which of course implies the strogg had their own arthur c clarke

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 22, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Baron von Eevl posted:

I believe the secret level in base q2 is a communication satellite, not a moon base.

Correct, and the Makron's base is on some asteroid hidden in the asteroid ring around the planet. So the second Makron on the moon base in The Reckoning would be somewhere else entirely.

Also I too really like the Strogg and I want them revisited either as some kind of Quake 2/Quake 4 sequel or something during the Earth invasion like Quake Wars.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BattleMaster posted:

Correct, and the Makron's base is on some asteroid hidden in the asteroid ring around the planet. So the second Makron on the moon base in The Reckoning would be somewhere else entirely.

Also I too really like the Strogg and I want them revisited either as some kind of Quake 2/Quake 4 sequel or something during the Earth invasion like Quake Wars.

My secret wish is that iD uses the Quake 2 remaster’s reception as a litmus test for if the world is ready to accept more Strogg into their hearts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom eternal stank of Quake in a good way. The earth is ready

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm ready to slip into some gates if you know what I mean.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you don't know what I mean, I mean I'm ready to go to the Slipgate complex, step on a slipgate and play Quake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My 3 favourite FPS maps ever are Quake's E1M1 "The Slipgate Complex", Heretic's E1M5, "The Citadel", and "Skyrail" from 007 Nightfire.

:kiss: they're all so good for completely different reasons. What are all of your favourite FPS maps? MP or SP, doesn't matter.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are all of your favourite FPS maps? MP or SP, doesn't matter.

Titanfall 2, Effect and Cause
Unreal Tournament, Morpheus

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Red Light District, baby
The Edge
pl_badwater

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Live Slipgate Complex reaction

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

My 3 favourite FPS maps ever are Quake's E1M1 "The Slipgate Complex", Heretic's E1M5, "The Citadel", and "Skyrail" from 007 Nightfire.

:kiss: they're all so good for completely different reasons. What are all of your favourite FPS maps? MP or SP, doesn't matter.

Dark Carnival from Blood

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tough one. I'm partial to a lot of the Natural Selection 1 maps from back in the day, since that was what I played the most in my formative years.

If I had to pick, the layout of NS_Tanith is burned into my brain. Tons of back and forth 45minute-1hour battles on that map :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

What are all of your favourite FPS maps? MP or SP, doesn't matter.

Kinda surprised at Quake E1M1. Is just nostalgia because it’s the first map?

Stuff that comes to mind for me:
Doom:
E1M5: Phobos Lab
E1M7: Computer Station

Unreal:
NyLeve's Falls - really just because of that first time you step out of the ship into that explosion of colors accompanied by a swell of the tracker music.

Chizra - Nali Water God
Objectively this is not a great level but I have tremendous nostalgia for it. I absolutely love the mysterious adventure vibe of the level with the crumbling temple ruins, wooden suspension bridges, lush foliage peaking out in places, and that gorgeous Unreal water.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like a scrub because I can't really think of the last time I went "wow that map was the bomb" but to repeat myself, the whole chapter in Call of Duty: United Offensive where you sabotage the naval battery and then ride out on a motorcycle in a big action setpiece is the tits. CoD 1 also has the big Wolfenstein-esque mansion raid, that's some good stuff.

Edit: Multiplayer stuff is a blur. The Longest Yard from Q3 comes to mind. TF2 was a whole mix of maps.

Though I guess I'll throw in that while I think neither is the peak of quality, I have a soft spot for both On a Rail and 2Fort.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 22, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No Russian

i shouldn’t have to explain that I’m obviously joking

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BattleMaster posted:

Xenomrph posted:

My secret wish is that iD uses the Quake 2 remaster’s reception as a litmus test for if the world is ready to accept more Strogg into their hearts.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Doom eternal stank of Quake in a good way. The earth is ready

Dramicus posted:

Id is gonna make the Quake iceberg real

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^ is Q2 actually a prequel to Q1?! :eyepop:

david_a posted:

Kinda surprised at Quake E1M1. Is just nostalgia because it’s the first map?

A part of it IS nostalgia, because it just blew me away completely when I first played it. However, I love how compact it is while still being filled with places to go. I also love the horseshoe design that it uses (like Doom's E1M1 or to a lesser extent, Doom 2's Map01), especially since it's actually a full circuit if you use the secrets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: gently caress, double post.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edit: ^^^^^ is Q2 actually a prequel to Q1?! :eyepop:

I'm not familiar with the details of that one, but it could be that Humans discover the teleporter/slipgate technology that Strogg use to get from Stroggos to their moon base and then after winning, then take it back to Earth for reverse-engineering. Something to that effect.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as_oilrig
ctf_face
tf2 dustbowl

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why does it say "Half Life was created on the modified ID Tech 3 engine" when id Tech 3 didn't even exist until after Half-Life came out

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Probably just a typo, afaik it's made on a modified id Tech 2. But maybe it's going on some more obscure conspiracy details or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assume they meant idtech2, since sometimes the quake and quake 2 engines are collectively called that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deck16
Silent Cartographer
Our Benefactors
Son of Grendel
Blood Gulch

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

I assume they meant idtech2, since sometimes the quake and quake 2 engines are collectively called that.
Huh, is that really obscure enough to be that far down the iceberg? I don't even know what any of the other stuff in that section is, but I thought HL being based on the Quake 1 engine was common knowledge.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Let's appreciate the excellent Quake 2 audio work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskGGkKZvQw

Dramicus posted:

Probably just a typo, afaik it's made on a modified id Tech 2. But maybe it's going on some more obscure conspiracy details or something.
Yeah the thing has a bunch of poor spelling, grammatical mistakes, and typos, so we can just assume that's one of them.

Volte posted:

Huh, is that really obscure enough to be that far down the iceberg? I don't even know what any of the other stuff in that section is, but I thought HL being based on the Quake 1 engine was common knowledge.
The point of the meme is that it goes from common knowledge to obscure stuff to insane theories, and it's still in the "obscure stuff" section, I'd say it's juuuust obscure enough to count.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Assepoester posted:

The point of the meme is that it goes from common knowledge to obscure stuff to insane theories.
Yeah I know....but it's a common knowledge thing that's way down the iceberg (assuming it is a typo, unless it really is an insane theory that Half-Life was actually based on an engine that came out a year after it, which I guess is also possible given how these things work)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Eischer's Labyrinth from Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Love me some gravity fuckery.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Volte posted:

Yeah I know....but it's a common knowledge thing that's way down the iceberg (assuming it is a typo, unless it really is an insane theory that Half-Life was actually based on an engine that came out a year after it, which I guess is also possible given how these things work)
I think this being the Early FPS Megathread is throwing us off a bit, we may remember back in the day when shooters talked about the engines they ran on a lot because they were walking advertisements for engine licensing, but in terms of "things people know about a game" I'd say it's still obscure enough.

EDIT: I found the original iceberg image and made a new blank quake iceberg template for everyone, now we can put whatever weird stuff we want on the correct tiers, go nuts with photoshop or paint.net

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 23, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should of used the idtech1 engine:

Just think about how much faster it would of run!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like a scrub because I can't really think of the last time I went "wow that map was the bomb"

Yeah, there's a lot of games I think have excellent level design but I'd have a hard time singling out a single one. Doesn't help that I've basically been binging old shooters since cultic came out and a lot of that poo poo's blurred together. Multiplayer is a different story and there's probably too many to count. I've said it before but the third stage of thunder mountain in TF2 is a triumph of 3 dimensional game design. Toujane, Carentan, Leningrad in the 360 version of CoD2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish everyone licensing id's engines was still a thing considering how good Doom 2016/Eternal looks and it still gets like 200 fps.