Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is Boston Legal worth going back and watching? I've seen some clips on YouTube and they seem real fun, mainly anything with Spader and Shatner playing off each other. Does it hold up? Was it good to start with? Is it available anywhere? And would I need to watch The Practice first, which is a show I am, for some reason, much less interested in checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Is Boston Legal worth going back and watching? I've seen some clips on YouTube and they seem real fun, mainly anything with Spader and Shatner playing off each other. Does it hold up? Was it good to start with? Is it available anywhere? And would I need to watch The Practice first, which is a show I am, for some reason, much less interested in checking out?

You don't need to watch The Practice, Spader's character Alan Shore was introduced there as a zany jackass but his character type is clear from the start of BL. In general I'd say it holds up, but this is from the olden times when Shatner's character being an outspoken and for the time awful republican didn't stop him from being buddies with Spader's character, who in BL picks a lot of fights for social justice and the like. This might seem a bit bizarre in a post-escalator world, maybe? There's also some sub-plots about cross-dressing and autism-spectrum stuff that might seem insensitive these days, but it's not really full-on-bigoted jokes about it IMO. The show is also sorta sexist in that both of the main dudes are awful horn-dogs, but it's a sort of a leisure suit larry gambit in that it bites them in the rear end more than not.

These are the main trigger issues I can remember off the top of my head, it's been a few years now since I've watched it last. Of course it's a procedural lawyer drama show, so there will be generally upsetting things like murder, police brutality and death penalty debates. On the other hand, it has Betty White as a wonderfully crazy (lay term, not diagnosis) lady, so YMMV! It's consistently funny in my warped mind, and the drama aspects are also played pretty well. The show breaks the fourth wall a lot, and one of their main jokes about themselves are Spader's 10-minute monologues that feature in about every episode, so strap in for that, too.

Unfortunately I do not know how it's available these days.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

You don't need to watch The Practice, Spader's character Alan Shore was introduced there as a zany jackass but his character type is clear from the start of BL. In general I'd say it holds up, but this is from the olden times when Shatner's character being an outspoken and for the time awful republican didn't stop him from being buddies with Spader's character, who in BL picks a lot of fights for social justice and the like. This might seem a bit bizarre in a post-escalator world, maybe? There's also some sub-plots about cross-dressing and autism-spectrum stuff that might seem insensitive these days, but it's not really full-on-bigoted jokes about it IMO. The show is also sorta sexist in that both of the main dudes are awful horn-dogs, but it's a sort of a leisure suit larry gambit in that it bites them in the rear end more than not.

These are the main trigger issues I can remember off the top of my head, it's been a few years now since I've watched it last. Of course it's a procedural lawyer drama show, so there will be generally upsetting things like murder, police brutality and death penalty debates. On the other hand, it has Betty White as a wonderfully crazy (lay term, not diagnosis) lady, so YMMV! It's consistently funny in my warped mind, and the drama aspects are also played pretty well. The show breaks the fourth wall a lot, and one of their main jokes about themselves are Spader's 10-minute monologues that feature in about every episode, so strap in for that, too.

Unfortunately I do not know how it's available these days.

This was the breakdown I was hoping for. And I generally love procedural lawyer drama shows, so I know the general failings of them. Thanks! I'll try to find out if it's available anywhere.

And yeah, one clip I watched was Spader and Shatner arguing politics and it was Obama vs. McCain, and it all seemed very quaint, and ended with them shooting each other with paint ball guns in a wacky turn of events. So I know to watch it with pre-Trump era glasses.

edit: It's on Amazon Prime. Excellent.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 22, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

In a weird move Disney is doing a physical release of Loki s1, Wandavision and Mando s1 and 2 this fall.

What am I going to do with my DVD box that has nothing in it of Wandavision? This makes it totally useless!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This was the breakdown I was hoping for. And I generally love procedural lawyer drama shows, so I know the general failings of them. Thanks! I'll try to find out if it's available anywhere.

And yeah, one clip I watched was Spader and Shatner arguing politics and it was Obama vs. McCain, and it all seemed very quaint, and ended with them shooting each other with paint ball guns in a wacky turn of events. So I know to watch it with pre-Trump era glasses.

edit: It's on Amazon Prime. Excellent.

I remember liking the Practice more than BL, but it was a more straight laced realistic show, at least until it lost the plot a few seasons in.

It does have a very gray aesthetician iirc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

In general I'd say it holds up, but this is from the olden times when Shatner's character being an outspoken and for the time awful republican didn't stop him from being buddies with Spader's character, who in BL picks a lot of fights for social justice and the like. This might seem a bit bizarre in a post-escalator world, maybe?

Good lord, Al Sharpton just stormed the courtroom in the first episode. This show is wild.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1694013151514153342

Is niles back for this

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No, only Lilith and Roz

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PASS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where was Frasier on Jan 6th?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get your fuckin shoes off the couch.

I hate it when people I shows sit like that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

EL BROMANCE posted:

Where was Frasier on Jan 6th?

He wasn't there but he was listening

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRUZi9geSE

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Should've called the new show Frajer.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Good lord, Al Sharpton just stormed the courtroom in the first episode. This show is wild.

The good reverend sadly isn't a much-used guest, but the show has a pretty great cast all around. Some Trek alumni other than mister Shatner, too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not gonna bother if it's just gonna be another run of episodes stringing you along never revealing what his true power is

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

The good reverend sadly isn't a much-used guest, but the show has a pretty great cast all around. Some Trek alumni other than mister Shatner, too.

Yeah, René Auberjonois is right there in the first episode, too, in a way that seems like he's going to be around for a while.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, René Auberjonois is right there in the first episode, too, in a way that seems like he's going to be around for a while.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that you're right. Denny Crane needs a foil, after all :allears:

Also thanks to you I'm now two episodes in myself :eng99:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MarcusSA posted:

Get your fuckin shoes off the couch.

I hate it when people I shows sit like that.

THANK YOU. This is a pet peeve in fiction (and real life :colbert:) I've never been able to just ignore! Without fail, every single time, no matter what show/movie, I always holler "Get ya drat shoes off the bed/couch!" I can't help it, it's automatic!

My partner's used to it by now, but I'm not gonna be able to help it in a movie theater, either. :argh: So gross!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Mine is when characters just leave the fridge door open forever. There's one scene in an episode of Hannibal where there's just an entire conversation with the fridge door wide open in the background and it distracts the gently caress out of me

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I threw on Based on a True Story just to have something on while eating dinner, and despite having no expectations, I thought it was fine and fairly charming thanks to the actors. But it's really, really hard not to see it as Flight Attended crossed with Only Murders in the Building.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the Ahsoka premiere and it is kind of bittersweet what with Ray Stevenson as the bad guy.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Did they recast Fredrick from Magicians Josh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that old guy supposed to be Frasier's dad?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That is not Frajer's beautiful Seattle apartment, I call shenanigans!

He'd be better adapting his one man play about Lincoln's life in my opinion :colbert:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of, just about to wrap up a rewatch of 30 Rock. Even on the weakest episode of the show I was still laughing out loud. Can’t think of another show like it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is that old guy supposed to be Frasier's dad?

No, it's supposed to be an old college friend of Frasier's.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Watching the Ahsoka premiere and it is kind of bittersweet what with Ray Stevenson as the bad guy.

I already kinda dig his character, even with what little screentime he has in the first two episodes. “For our friend, Ray” at the end was sweet.

Honestly I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I’m still a little miffed that this Rebels sequel isn’t animated but imo it looked pretty solid in terms of production design. The only weak point was the Corellian shipyard fight, but even that never reached the lows of Mando S3 or BoBF.

Andor remains the undisputed king of Disney+ Star Wars though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was kind of funny how they recast so many Rebels characters and then Clancy Brown just shows up. Although to be fair his character did basically look enough like him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What kind of creature does Sabine have? Is it a bogling? I really want some sort of background crossover lore wise with the Respawn Jedi games since I am most familiar with them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of creature does Sabine have? Is it a bogling? I really want some sort of background crossover lore wise with the Respawn Jedi games since I am most familiar with them.

Loth-cat. It’s a Rebels thing but they also show up in the Jedi games iirc. There was also one in the first season of Mando.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does anyone remember the thinly veiled law and order episode (might have been criminal intent) that was a basically about Nirvana? I think they had it be a drummer who got fired.

I tried googling but no dice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does anyone remember the thinly veiled law and order episode (might have been criminal intent) that was a basically about Nirvana? I think they had it be a drummer who got fired.

I tried googling but no dice.

I remember it existing but unfortunately none of the actual details. IIRC it also tracked in Courtney Love conspiracy theory.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I remember it existing but unfortunately none of the actual details. IIRC it also tracked in Courtney Love conspiracy theory.

So I changed my search and you're partly right. IRL Courtney hired a guy named Tom Grant to investigate Kurt's death and there's an analog character who used to be Briscoe's partner and is sorta blocking their investigation.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0629476/?ref_=tttrv_ov

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/LawAndOrderS13E3TrueCrime

Dave Grohl's stand in did it, both with "Kurt" and "Courtney"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 23, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I did think it was kind of funny how they recast so many Rebels characters and then Clancy Brown just shows up. Although to be fair his character did basically look enough like him.

It does seem like if you are a certain level of famous you get to reprise your CW/Rebels role if it makes the jump to live action. Though I doubt David Oyelowo will get that opportunity if Kallus ever shows up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

It does seem like if you are a certain level of famous you get to reprise your CW/Rebels role if it makes the jump to live action. Though I doubt David Oyelowo will get that opportunity if Kallus ever shows up

Although it would be funny to see him in elaborate whiteface makeup with big fake blonde muttonchops.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Or just Kallus is black now, deal with it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/primevideo/status/1694341434558800261?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna take the over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HOLY gently caress posted:

Mine is when characters just leave the fridge door open forever. There's one scene in an episode of Hannibal where there's just an entire conversation with the fridge door wide open in the background and it distracts the gently caress out of me

Or any doors really. Like if there's a chase scene and the guy runs through a door to try to lose his pursuer he never closes it behind him. Like what the gently caress