Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
But III isn't good :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Lost World and III are both good, they just have the problem of being sequels to the best movie ever made. Both are also far superior to the godawful World trilogy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Lost World and III are both good, they just have the problem of being sequels to the best movie ever made. Both are also far superior to the godawful World trilogy.

:hmmyes:

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Jurassic Park III is the Dino Crisis III that we wanted (but didn't get).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I decided to re-watch The Lost World: Jurassic Park since I don't think I've actually seen it in over twenty years.

Honestly, not as bad as the reputation it gets.

It definitely is. There's only been on good (great) JP movie

I have a preemptive IIMM since I already know and am already hearing that, in the wake of Barbie's massive success, there's a whole list of toy to movies projects already being talked about. The irrational part is that I already know probably 3/4 of them would never make a good movie and won't lend themselves to the medium at all. Some studio exec is gonna be like "remember EZ Bake Ovens? Remember Shrinky Dinks? How about a Furby movie? That was popular once!"

I'm not saying there's not any gold to be mined there but GI Joe and Transformers have already been done. I think they're going to fall into the video game trap of making poo poo just to make it and instead of embracing what makes the toys fun, just copying Barbie and sticking the toys in the real world.

Someone mentioned Hot Wheels and that's not a bad idea but I already think that what they'll do is make the cars interact with the real world and at full size when the way to go would be to make them small and borrow a little from Toy Story; at least starting out.

But how many toys have really transcended generations like Barbie has that would appeal to a wide age range? Lego's been taken.

What I'm saying is that I'm already dreading the Pogs movie with a "Remember Pogs? They're Back! In Movie Form!" tagline. Or a Rubik's Cube or Silly Putty movie.

Oh, christ. It's gonna be a Mattel shared universe, isn't it?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BiggerBoat posted:

It definitely is. There's only been on good (great) JP movie

I have a preemptive IIMM since I already know and am already hearing that, in the wake of Barbie's massive success, there's a whole list of toy to movies projects already being talked about. The irrational part is that I already know probably 3/4 of them would never make a good movie and won't lend themselves to the medium at all. Some studio exec is gonna be like "remember EZ Bake Ovens? Remember Shrinky Dinks? How about a Furby movie? That was popular once!"

I'm not saying there's not any gold to be mined there but GI Joe and Transformers have already been done. I think they're going to fall into the video game trap of making poo poo just to make it and instead of embracing what makes the toys fun, just copying Barbie and sticking the toys in the real world.

Someone mentioned Hot Wheels and that's not a bad idea but I already think that what they'll do is make the cars interact with the real world and at full size when the way to go would be to make them small and borrow a little from Toy Story; at least starting out.

But how many toys have really transcended generations like Barbie has that would appeal to a wide age range? Lego's been taken.

What I'm saying is that I'm already dreading the Pogs movie with a "Remember Pogs? They're Back! In Movie Form!" tagline. Or a Rubik's Cube or Silly Putty movie.

Sounds pretty poggers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Mattel Universe is going to go about as well as The Dark Universe. 95% of those movies are not getting made.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Isn't there a movie about Tetris coming soon?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FFT posted:

It came out months ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FFT posted:

It was one of the many business biopics we have gotten this year. Air, Blackberry, that Beanie Babies movie, Flamin' Hot (based on a complete lie), etc.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Hot Wheels is just gonna be Fast&Furious but worse because they don't have the absolute insanity that is Vin Diesel and his need for speed family

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

It was a "making of" movie about the legal battles surrounding the international release, sadly we never got a buddy movie starring L block and Z block (the good one, not the other one)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BiggerBoat posted:

The one farthest along in development is apparently a Polly Pocket movie written by Lena Dunham, it's been in development for like four years and is apparently a very important thing to Dunham in general. It will not connect to Barbie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A Polly what now?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BiggerBoat posted:

A Polly what now?
Polly Pocket.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's what the yanks call polystyrene. No one knows why, or why they're making a movie about polystyrene.

Some pop culture stuff just doesn't translate well I guess. :shrug:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Polly Pocket basically is to Barbie what Micro Machines are to Hotwheels. A tiny little plastic doll and her various friends that generally came packaged in tiny clamshell style folding dollhouse playsets. Mostly a thing of the 90s though I'm sure it's still around. I'm sure it'll be super fun for people to pretend they aren't at least a little aware of it, but it's well poised to activate the nostalgia center of women of a certain age (30s and 40s probably) which is primarily used by the brain for buying movie tickets.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I remember the jingle in the ads. Something like

I'm Polly Pocket
Want to see what's new?
A brand new playset
Just for you!

And then some rockabilly

Polly Pocket dadda da
da da dadda da

Polly Pocket (cheap cheap cheap)

Could be conflating this with something else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Well, you should see Polythene Pam
She's so good-looking but she looks like a man
Well, you should see her in drag dressed in her polythene bag
Yes, you should see Polythene Pam

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Polly pockets were lame and boring

Mighty Max was the superior toy :colbert:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

credburn posted:

I remember the jingle in the ads. Something like

I'm Polly Pocket
Want to see what's new?
A brand new playset
Just for you!

And then some rockabilly

Polly Pocket dadda da
da da dadda da

Could be conflating this with something else.

I tried to remember it but Polly Pocket is too similar to "Mister Bucket" so I just got stuck on that jingle instead. Polly Pocket (yeah!), pockets of fun!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

the holy poopacy posted:

It was a "making of" movie about the legal battles surrounding the international release, sadly we never got a buddy movie starring L block and Z block (the good one, not the other one)

WOW, didn't know we had a block racist here.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

WOW, didn't know we had a block racist here.

you knew exactly which one I was talking about because you tacitly agree

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

theironjef posted:

Polly Pocket basically is to Barbie what Micro Machines are to Hotwheels. A tiny little plastic doll and her various friends that generally came packaged in tiny clamshell style folding dollhouse playsets. Mostly a thing of the 90s though I'm sure it's still around. I'm sure it'll be super fun for people to pretend they aren't at least a little aware of it, but it's well poised to activate the nostalgia center of women of a certain age (30s and 40s probably) which is primarily used by the brain for buying movie tickets.

It will likely compare to the Barbie movie about as favourably as the Playmobil movie compared to the Lego movie.

The executives will get an eight figure bonus off of a seven figure domestic gross.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Len posted:

It also had a badass cartoon

I was spot on the target audience and we loved the cartoon, but the toys were too much like Polly Pocket, which was for girls.

We all still got a set or two anyway. They were cool.

stringless has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Aug 23, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Len posted:

Mighty Max was legitimately awesome, and I really wish out of all the things they brought back, they would bring back Mighty Max sets.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I saw jp 3 in theaters and it was like 70 minutes long so I hated it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

I saw jp 3 in theaters and it was like 70 minutes long so I hated it.

I wouldn't of minding it being 70 minutes if it was a good 70 minutes. Like how do you have William H. Macy, a talking raptor, and Sam Neil playing main characters, have the movie still be so boring.

That's sort of impressive to be honest.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

dr_rat posted:

It's what the yanks call polystyrene. No one knows why, or why they're making a movie about polystyrene.

Some pop culture stuff just doesn't translate well I guess. :shrug:

Uhhh, cuz Poly Styrene rules?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the whole thing that made the Barbie movie good was that it intentionally used that nostalgia and brand cohesion to say something about the real world and what part, if any, nostalgia plays in it

going " oh it's cuz it's an old toy that everyone loved, let's make a Tiger R-Zone movie next!!!!" is missing the point in a way that only hollywood execs would dare to even dream of

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

going " oh it's cuz it's an old toy that everyone loved, let's make a Tiger R-Zone movie next!!!!" is missing the point in a way that only hollywood execs would dare to even dream of

Oh, I'm very confident the management types in plenty of other sectors would if they could.

Advertising industry I'm definitely looking in your direction here!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mario game&watch prequel movie next

do it about the one where mario is working on a bomb squad in 'nam and has to see his friends blown up and burned to death in jungle hell

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should do a Mario sequel, but make it a sequel to the much superior 90's version and don't tell anyone it's for that version till it's out.

Hollywood doesn't take risks anymore!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

They should do a Mario sequel, but make it a sequel to the much superior 90's version and don't tell anyone it's for that version till it's out.

Hollywood doesn't take risks anymore!

Without Dennis Hopper treating the scenery like an all you can eat buffet and a permanently drunk Bob Hoskins wondering where his life went wrong, what do you even have left for a sequel?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Luigi with a whole bunch of mushies and a princess?

John Leguizamo could pull it off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Leguizamo's Mansion.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I guess we do still have “permanently drunk John Leguizamo” in the cards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Mighty Max was legitimately awesome, and I really wish out of all the things they brought back, they would bring back Mighty Max sets.

I remember the cartoon being decent

Tony Jay played the giant chicken, which is all the advertisement any cartoon should ever need

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BioEnchanted posted:

Leguizamo's Mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

theironjef posted:

The one farthest along in development is apparently a Polly Pocket movie written by Lena Dunham, it's been in development for like four years and is apparently a very important thing to Dunham in general. It will not connect to Barbie.

normal kids: let's make Barbie and Ken gently caress
lena: i filled my polly pocket with stones