Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Those both look like they'd draw LoS through 1310, so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The bottom, for convenience sake. Down = downstream.

The players can achieve their escape objective by letting the river carry them off the map, but I expect the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

For the record, this made me giggly like a schoolgirl when I envisioned it happening.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sentinel

I think if I counted correctly, R9 to 0521?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

Sentinel

I think if I counted correctly, R9 to 0521?

Yep, looks good.

Orders sent, taking 0518 and attempting a snipe.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh poo poo, it's go time!

Reactor online. Sensors online. Weapons online. All systems nominal.

Blackjack

I reckon I can walk up to 0620...? It's been a while, jeez. And then I'll hold fire.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Orders submitted

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Grandpa in the Hoplite here.
I'll be moseying up to 0622 while all you speed demons run ahead.

painedforever posted:

Blackjack

I reckon I can walk up to 0620...? It's been a while, jeez. And then I'll hold fire.
You might want to double-check you're looking at the right 'Mech; the Blackjack is the one on the east bank in 1226.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The bottom, for convenience sake. Down = downstream.

The players can achieve their escape objective by letting the river carry them off the map, but I expect the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

There, the bonus objective has been identified

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Theoretically, we could collectively choose to walk off the map and achieve a primary objective turn one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ardlen posted:

Grandpa in the Hoplite here.
I'll be moseying up to 0622 while all you speed demons run ahead.

You might want to double-check you're looking at the right 'Mech; the Blackjack is the one on the east bank in 1226.

Oh, you're right!

Good start, good start.

Ummm...

Blackjack

Run up to 1222.

... that's right, right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

painedforever posted:

Oh, you're right!

Good start, good start.

Ummm...

Blackjack

Run up to 1222.

... that's right, right?

I believe that's doable, yeah

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

painedforever posted:

Oh, you're right!

Good start, good start.

Ummm...

Blackjack

Run up to 1222.

... that's right, right?

Can confirm.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Then let's go for it!

Kick some tail and all that.

That ground's broken up something fierce. Do you reckon I should drift into the water eventually? I am pretty energy heavy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Eye of Balor 2-2

“Stinger,” Syntyche called out as she crested a low sandy hill. The river’s course through the canyon clearly shifted from time to time, with different courses clearly defined. She’d been a bit worried, she hadn’t had as many opportunities to study her Jane’s Almanacs as she’d have liked; but Stingers were immediately recognizable. Anyone over the age of five who had seen a single action-adventure holovid could probably instantly identify a Stinger.

She twisted slightly, gave her targeting computer a quarter-second to catch up with her, and pressed down on the primary target interlock circuit with her thumb. Her Mongoose’s large laser flashed and caught the surprised Stinger in the side before it could react. It lurched—but what would’ve been a sure kill in a Holovid didn’t even penetrate armor. Stingers were tougher than directors gave them credit for.

“poo poo,” Insect yelled into their open broadcast. “It’s the SLDF! One—two—only two for sure.”

“gently caress—geddem!” Icepick was the first to reply. A second Stinger appeared between two towering pillars of stone, its paintjob primarily black with lovingly airbrushed blue flames. “Y’stupid bastard, there’re three of ‘em! T’ain’t your sensors that’re broken, it’s your eyes! Ravager, waddle your rear end up here, we’ve got company!”

“You know I can’t keep pace with you, boys.” Ravager answered. “Don’t you die before I get there.”

Movement Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Reveals enemy Stinger!

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Stinger (4 Gunnery + 2 range + (2 - 1 stabilized weapon =) 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (2/10 armor remaining)!

Sentinel (Player)
- Holds fire!

Blackjack (Player)
- Holds fire!

Hoplite (Player)
- Holds fire!

Unknown Mech #1
- Holds fire!

Stinger
- Holds fire!

Unknown Mech #3
- Holds fire!

Unknown Mech #4
- Holds fire!

Melee Phase
[n/a]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 10!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 16!

End Phase

Next Turn’s Movement Phase:
Enemy Stinger #1 revealed!

Unknown Enemy BattleMech #3 revealed!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (0/4 BattleMechs)
OR
- Retreat in Good Order (0/4 SLDF Units Escaped)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Unknown Enemy BattleMech #4 [Status Unknown]

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

Canyon Carver – A ‘Mech that fails a piloting test, falls prone, or otherwise becomes completely submerged in a water hex will also be swept 2 hexes downstream.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 22, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

Blackjack

Run up to 1222.

If you could send these to me in a forums PM next time, I'd be grateful!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you could send these to me in a forums PM next time, I'd be grateful!

Sorry about that. Got a little too excited.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No worries!

It's just easier for me if it's all in one place.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PTN, looks like you used last turn's enemy movement map instead.

Edit: It is hilarious that the OpForce is broadcasting everything in the clear.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 22, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Two Stingers and a Clint with gaudy paintjobs? Did we stumble upon the pirate equivalent of a car meet?

Speaking of the Clint, that's a 6/9/6 with 15 damage on a Gunnery 3 pilot. Ignore it at your own peril.

e: Edited because I forgot that the AC/10 variant is the non-jumping prototype :sweatdrop:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 22, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ardlen posted:

Edit: It is hilarious that the OpForce is broadcasting everything in the clear.

I imagine pirates aren't really known for having strict OpSec practices.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice shooting, mongoose

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

PTN, looks like you used last turn's enemy movement map instead.

Oh shoot, yeah. That's fixed.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, so we've got three jumpy yet fragile mechs combined with something slower but potentially much tougher / more heavily armed.

Unfortunately the Stingers and Clint are jumpy bastards who are better able to navigate the broken terrain. If they want to be particularly prickish they can play whack-a-mole and try to wear you guys down until the fourth guy shows up. I'd suggest focusing them down one by one, starting with 'Icepick'. 'Insect' has pre-existing damage, but he's jumped behind a pillar and getting LOS to him will be tricky.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Note that roger is gunnery 3

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

am i mathing the elevation correct and unknown #4 used 8 MP to run those four tiles? literally just want to make sure i have the rules in my head correctly since i'm still learning

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

am i mathing the elevation correct and unknown #4 used 8 MP to run those four tiles? literally just want to make sure i have the rules in my head correctly since i'm still learning

Either that or he jumped four hexes.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The movement line is yellow, so that should mean they jumped.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i completely forgot about jumping :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sentinel

I think I should be able to W6 to 0518 and get shots on Roger in 0712?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Captain Foo posted:

Sentinel

I think I should be able to W6 to 0518 and get shots on Roger in 0712?
I think it would take 7? Either walk around (4 hexes traversed, turn 3 times) or walk forward (3 hexes traversed, 4 elevation changes).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ardlen posted:

I think it would take 7? Either walk around (4 hexes traversed, turn 3 times) or walk forward (3 hexes traversed, 4 elevation changes).

Hmm I’m 6/9 so pushing to 7mp for that isn’t worth it, I’ll have to figure something else out

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm just going to hammer green guy.

I don't think he's seen me, actually.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They have not!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sentinel

I guess I could go big here and run to 0415, split fire between purple and blue, and the try to kick blue's head off

e- or just shoot purple and kick blue

e2- let's do it

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

It's been too long since I've had to math out movement through water. 8 walk MP, one elevation change to enter water, move through two subsequent water hexes, one elevation change to exit the water, am I missing any costs or additional factors?

Edit: Other option is the land route. If I end up in 0314 facing north, torso twisting clockwise, what melee options are available to me if any against the mech in 0414?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 24, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the kicker with water is you can't use running mp if you're entering a water hex on your turn.

Water sucks.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

I think the kicker with water is you can't use running mp if you're entering a water hex on your turn.

Water sucks.

I'm aware. The question is if I can steal a march on that stinger by going that way with the 8 walk MP I'm working with, or if I end up moving slowly and getting my feet wet for no tactical upside.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AJ_Impy posted:

Mongoose

It's been too long since I've had to math out movement through water. 8 walk MP, one elevation change to enter water, move through two subsequent water hexes, one elevation change to exit the water, am I missing any costs or additional factors?
If you are trying to get to 0514, it should be: 4 hexes traversed + 3 water hexes + 2 elevation changes = 9 mp.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ardlen posted:

If you are trying to get to 0514, it should be: 4 hexes traversed + 3 water hexes + 2 elevation changes = 9 mp.

Thanks. Which would be a +1 move mod in a vulnerable position.

Heading to 0314.

Orders submitted.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Because you're entering a water hex you are limited to walk MP, and since that would cost 9 MP, you're going to stop one hex short.