Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Unisystem does have a distinct Perception Stat.

So you're saying the six ability scores are not enough?

Then it is once again time to add more attributes, let the cycle continue anew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rogues can use scrolls because the Grey Mouser did it in one story.

Brass golems look like minotaurs because of Minoton from the Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.

Tragically the same movie didn't result in giant baboons and horned cave men entering the list of staple D&D player races.

It is fun going through the old appendix n stuff and spotting where D&Disms came from.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Runa posted:

So you're saying the six ability scores are not enough?

Then it is once again time to add more attributes, let the cycle continue anew

Nope, they only have six. Strength Dexterity Stamina Intelligence Perception Willpower

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real answer is that hobbits's extra toughness should be a racial passive to whatever derived stats determine actual hardiness in the system, like HP in a tactical system or "avoid danger" rolls in a pbta or so on, without affecting their baseline physique score.

This is how Fragged has species with higher physical damage survivability without having a dedicated Stamina/Constitution attribute distinct from Strength. Fragged does have six attributes but they govern specific tactical combat capabilities and rarely interact with the out-of-combat skill system.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MonsieurChoc posted:

There’s actually a Pillars of Eternity ttrpg. The pdf came with Deadfire and there’s an updated version on their website.

It’s point-buy and classless and in many ways closer to something like 4e.
There's also a Pillars of Eternity Board Game.

A deeply mediocre board game, alas.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nope, they only have six. Strength Dexterity Stamina Intelligence Perception Willpower
Sir I have been staring at these stats for hours trying to represent someone with minimal book learning but deep homespun wisdom and I am comfortable stating that it cannot be done.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Rogues can use scrolls because the Grey Mouser did it in one story.

Brass golems look like minotaurs because of Minoton from the Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.

Tragically the same movie didn't result in giant baboons and horned cave men entering the list of staple D&D player races.

It is fun going through the old appendix n stuff and spotting where D&Disms came from.

And the Grey Mouser was originally a wizard’s apprentice.

And Fafhrd was also a thief.

In the Lankhmar sets they had to make them both ridiculous class mashups. And I think they’d waived the human ban on multiclassing for the setting (since there are only humans). So in Ill Met in Lankhmar, at they’re lowest as a team, Fafhrd was like a Ranger8/Bard4 ==> Fighter 4/Thief 3 or some such awful kludge. Because the game just can’t do the cool characters mechanically.

Now I’m wondering how those stories hold up. I remember them being pretty good, but I’m assuming there are some deeply problematic parts. Mostly I just remember a lot of swordfights and hookers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Agility
Awareness
Brawn
Coordination
Intelligence Training
Personality
Willpower

This is Conan. I changed the name of Intelligence because even though it's called Intelligence, everything the stat does is about what you've learned via some variety of education, self-study or training.

Note that Brawn is the combo strength and constitution stat that Splicer wants. It's for resisting damage (basically hit points, but once you get through them you get into serious hurt/wounds poo poo) plus doing Athletics.
Splitting Agility and Coordination is the split between eye-hand and large motor dexterity that has been discussed.
Awareness being separate from the other "mental" stats solves an issue I always had with D&D's Wisdom score with conflating/combining awareness (listening, spotting, etc.) and... well, lower-case-w wisdom, like being sensible and giving good advice and being able to extract the meaning of an allegory (and communing with a god I guess). In this system you can be an alert guard without being a spiritual savant, or you can be an easily distracted priest who knows exactly what Mithra wants you to do with your life but is constantly getting pick-pocketed in the market.

Personality is a bit wishy-washy. The skills that use its modifier are animal handling, command (giving orders), counsel (here's that actually-wisdom stuff), persuade, and society (schmoozing, knowing your place). This game actually uses animal handling more than maybe D&D does, like it's not only for rangers, and things like command/persuade/counsel being on the same stat make sense, but society is an odd duck in that everyone has a social status and uses society rolls to navigate within that status, so like you can totally fail at being a beggar and get blacklisted by the local hobos because your Personality sucks, and that also means you're probably really bad with horses? It's no worse than D&D's Charisma I guess.

Willpower is a weird stat with only two skills that use its modifier: discipline (resisting falling apart from being so viciously mocked or intimidated in combat that you take mental damage) and sorcery (meddle in the black arts, or maybe just dabble in alchemy). I feel like each of these things could have been independent of the base attributes - the game has a physical soak value (vigor) based on Brawn, and a mental soak value (resolve) based on Willpower, and Brawn also only has two skills based on it (resistance - feeds resolve, and athletics) but athletics probably comes up in play a ton. sorcery only comes up in play if you are a sorcerer or you want to do like a knowledge check when you see some sorcery. So even though each of these two attributes has a soak skill and a single other skill on it, I think Willpower is the weaker one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GURPS had various advantages which were kind of "general stat, but only in particular ways" and I think you could stack those up to model things, but GURPS in general is one of those "you CAN do anything, basically, in here; but you could also probably do it better elsewhere" situations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

And the Grey Mouser was originally a wizard’s apprentice.

And Fafhrd was also a thief.

In the Lankhmar sets they had to make them both ridiculous class mashups. And I think they’d waived the human ban on multiclassing for the setting (since there are only humans). So in Ill Met in Lankhmar, at they’re lowest as a team, Fafhrd was like a Ranger8/Bard4 ==> Fighter 4/Thief 3 or some such awful kludge. Because the game just can’t do the cool characters mechanically.

Now I’m wondering how those stories hold up. I remember them being pretty good, but I’m assuming there are some deeply problematic parts. Mostly I just remember a lot of swordfights and hookers.
They're both really into underaged girls for some bizarre reason. It doesn't always come up, but when it does, yikes!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like attributes become a lot more useful if you ditch the number and just arrange them in order to describe and define your hero.

It's kind of the same concept as free-form skills, where a player writing "rescue diving" on their sheet is a cue to the GM that they want to experience some naval rescues.

In fiction, we never know exactly how Strong a character is, but we know they might be defined more by Strength than cleverness or their social graces.

So instead of arbitrarily assigning numerical values, arrange those characteristics to tell the other players about the character. And then mechanically favor the character whose attribute has higher priority in a conflict.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I mean that's very much a thing that some games do, but we were talking about D&D-like stats for a system that uses them. If you build your game off a known attribute array you can set up lots of additional mechanics that depend on them, like a predefined skill list, feats that do numerical things with stats, and derived values like damage soak.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defining Attributes as general capabilities tracked as numerical statistics in contrast to Skills as specific capabilities tracked in a similar fashion, Attributes are useful for games with enough crunch in their combat system to need it. Or in games with a sufficiently lighter-rules system that broad capabilities are tracked but more specific qualities would be too granular and cumbersome.

In the case of the former, you may need to be able to measure qualities a character possesses that don't make sense as skills, either conceptually or because they would be so important that they dramatically overshadow non-combat skills or become a skill tax to avoid death/uselessness. In the case of the latter, lighter-rules game they basically function as catchalls in their broad purview that also encompass capabilities that would be tracked individually as skills in higher-crunch games.

Again, I'm dipping into the wells I'm most familiar with here, but the former is absolutely a situation like Fragged and the latter is any pbta/fitd game.

I would define LANCER's pilot skills as shared Attributes between a player's mechs rather than "skills" by this definition. There's only four of them and they're primarily used to calculate derived stats and make saving throws.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 23, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You only need two stats: Jock and Nerd

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whydirt posted:

Goth as prestige class.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Runa posted:

This is how Fragged has species with higher physical damage survivability without having a dedicated Stamina/Constitution attribute distinct from Strength. Fragged does have six attributes but they govern specific tactical combat capabilities and rarely interact with the out-of-combat skill system.

Well, sort of. FE wants you to be pretty generous about handing out description bonuses for players telling you how they're doing something, and the default way to get a description bonus is to invoke an attribute that you have a 3+ in. The innovation is less that attributes aren't involved in skill checks so much as that there's no fixed relationship between particular skills and particular attributes -- if you're trying to impress a bunch of Legion mercenaries by arm-wrestling them that's a Culture check with a description bonus for high strength, for example.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

whydirt posted:

Five stats:
Jock
Nerd
Goth
Prep
Judd Nelson

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Claytor posted:

Five stats:
Jock
Nerd
Goth
Prep
Judd Nelson

Come on now. Athlete, Brain, Basket Case, Princess, Criminal.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

whydirt posted:

New lasers and feelings hack not going well. One of the stats has been shoved in a locker.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

theironjef posted:

Come on now. Athlete, Brain, Basket Case, Princess, Criminal.

This maps to the five stats in my homebrew 2d20 game so closely I'm a little concerned.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a good mix. They knew what they were doing.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I feel like I've fallen into a hole with this in my game design, I designed a fantasy world with 5 gods, based on 5 of the 6 D&D attributes (Power, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence and Charm) , because I wanted some kind of oracle, and I wrote that a long time ago before I realized what a problem that would cause.. I don't want to start over, I've done a lot of writing of fleshing out the god characters.

The problem now is I feel like I'm a bit bound to those attributes if I did a TTRPG game set in the world ( I like the idea of skills being tied to the Gods). One idea is to make Power and Endurance distinct stats, but at least make them similar, they both raise attack and health, but at slightly different rates. (E.G. Power = +2 Atttack/Damage, +1 HP, Endurance +1 Attack/Damage, +2 HP)

Not as good as if I didn't do a D&Dish attribute system, but not as bad as being completely married to it. I don't know, or maybe I need to start over. And Maybe this is better in the game writing thread, but this topic made me think of this.

One intention I have for this is to be more darksouls-like (which also uses similar attributes with a few extras) in that it's classess and you build a character with skills that are tied to different attributes, and leveling is more based on raising a stat than a suite of stuff every level based on your class. Also, I'll probbily use 2D10 (I like the center distribution) or maybe a D6 pool system or something else, but not 1D20+Skill. I definitely don't want this to be a D&D clone.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Whine About Doing Your Best
Go Home and gently caress the Prom Queen

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
R Talsorian Games are apparently gonna announce a brand new game: https://rtalsoriangames.com/2023/08/23/a-sneak-peek/

On the discord they said it was their own "next new, original IP." I'm interested.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Nice. I haven’t played The Witcher RPG yet but CP RED was solid.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MonsieurChoc posted:

R Talsorian Games are apparently gonna announce a brand new game: https://rtalsoriangames.com/2023/08/23/a-sneak-peek/

On the discord they said it was their own "next new, original IP." I'm interested.

So we're just never getting Mekton Zero, are we? :mad:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gives me The Vision of Escaflowne vibes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well Played Mauer posted:

They made a statement that with Witcher 4 in production they're putting the Witcher game line on hiatus to make sure they don't cross any wires with whatever CDPR does.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So we're just never getting Mekton Zero, are we? :mad:

I don't know what to say, they refunded your money and issued a formal apology. That's better than the vast majority of unfulfilled Kickstarters out there. No point in being upset about it at this point, either it comes out and it's a nice surprise or it doesn't and they've already done all they can to make you whole.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Gives me The Vision of Escaflowne vibes.
I'm sensing Touhou Project.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is a bait and switch. They're obviously reviving one of their classic games and setting it in Japan. I look forward to Falkenstein-jō.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A very silly Touhou ttrpg would be very my jam.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Witcher RPG was a mess when I tried it but there's been a ton of errata since then

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
Aftermath campaign moving to discord after everyone went back to college. It's a double edged sword- yeah we can use the aftermath online site someone made and fully integrate, which makes a lot of stuff like combat and numbers easier, but I'll miss making a pizza and a bowl of chips and having the guys over for some good ol post apocalyptic action. However it's still gonna be a lot of fun and the fact it didnt just end when the summer ended means I get to keep running the story I have in mind.
Atlantis here we come!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Splicer posted:

You're confusing rigorously and extensively. D&D has never been rigorously anythinged.

Yes, it is indeed fine. I love gritty number simulator systems as much as I love weird freeform bullshit. The problem isn't just that using the big 6 is unimaginative, it's that the specific traits of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma are a poor way of representing a character's traits even within the specific subgenre that they fit into.

Strength and Constitution are two halves of the same stat from both a utility sense and a fictional archetype sense. The entire social system is siloed behind a single talking-to-people stat. The only reason Int is superior to Strength is because Int powers Wizards, making it either a god stat or a dump stat with no middle ground. Dexterity and Wisdom are role model ability scores meaning they're viewed as "problems" that need to be "fixed" because grognards would rather apply crab bucket mentality to abstract concepts rather than admit something they liked when they were 12 was maybe kinda bad.

An RPG using the big 6 is like a person wearing an NFT hoodie. It could mean a lot of things but absolutely none of those things are "I should engage with this person". Best case scenario is you run into them later and find out they've grown out of it. Given we're on the... third? "without numbers" I don't think that's going to happen.

wearing an nft hoodie is actually fairly different from a popular set of rpg stats you dislike

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Farg posted:

wearing an nft hoodie is actually fairly different from a popular set of rpg stats you dislike

I see your taste is about as good as your understanding of analogies.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

LurchinTard posted:

Aftermath campaign moving to discord after everyone went back to college. It's a double edged sword- yeah we can use the aftermath online site someone made and fully integrate, which makes a lot of stuff like combat and numbers easier, but I'll miss making a pizza and a bowl of chips and having the guys over for some good ol post apocalyptic action. However it's still gonna be a lot of fun and the fact it didnt just end when the summer ended means I get to keep running the story I have in mind.
Atlantis here we come!

Having run 100% of the games I’ve GMed online since Covid, I can’t express how much I miss being able to read a room of players without staring into a tiny window.

I understand this makes me sound like a boomer middle manager but I feel like so much is missing from playing face to face. I’ve started running games without people’s cameras on and somehow people seem MORE engaged.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I don't ever use video. It feels too much like a work call - focusing intently on a grid of tiny panes while trying to ensure that my face looks engaged. Takes up screen real-estate that I need for the VTT, character sheets, scenario documents, etc. Eats up bandwidth/computing resources like crazy on my lovely machine. Leaves me completely drained of energy every time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not a boomer move. TTRPGing is a social activity, not just a gaming one, and it's never the same when not in person. My last gaming group broke up during the pandemic and never re-formed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LurchinTard posted:

Atlantis here we come!

I love Aftermath and all the 1980s FGU jank games. I ran so much Aftermath, Daredevils, and V&V, and played Bushido, Space Opera, and Flashing Blades. Good times.

Having run 100% of the games I’ve GMed online since Covid, I can’t express how much I miss being able to read a room of players without staring into a tiny window.

I understand this makes me sound like a boomer middle manager but I feel like so much is missing from playing face to face. I’ve started running games without people’s cameras on and somehow people seem MORE engaged.

Aside from some brief stuff, since I moved to the Bay Area 12 years ago, I have played exclusively online with a group of friends I have known for decades. Two of them are people I was gaming with nearly 50 years ago, and barring military service and some other things, I have continued gaming with, for those nearly 50 years.

We use Skype and Roll20 and keep the cameras off and it has worked great.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 25, 2023