Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Argyle posted:

lol jesus christ what is happening in this industry

Tech companies have taken over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Tech companies have taken over

And they brought their brilliant tech bro ideas like “we can save money by eliminating the jobs that make our product”

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Can any of your wardrobe friends look into picking up work with TWU? They should be able to get on the list with their MPC card since they both fall under IATSE and they have been making alot of provisions, as well as providing financial aid during the strikes.

Even if live entertainment isn't their thing, its all mostly the same skillsets. Designing, sewing, dressing, etc.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
If anyone else here is in LA, I'm organizing a Jewish Actors, Writers & Friends special picket at Netflix this Friday, 8/25 10AM-12PM. Details are here but if you're Jewish, not Jewish but want to see if Bradley Cooper's prosthetic nose will make a special appearance, or just feel like yelling at Ted Sarandos outside Netflix HQ (it's surprisingly therapeutic) please come join us and share with others who may be interested.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Any SAG goons in the thread with insight into the current election? We received a handful of emails and some mail with a bunch of names (the group including Dr Drew and Rob Schneider can go gently caress themselves) but it's not that clear on who/how to vote.

Does anyone have a website we can look into or can private message me with the actual voting process? It's our first election (my kids are new-ish SAG members) and I don't want to screw it up.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I don't know why I didn't think to ask here, but a lot of the brothers/sisters/kin have been asking if there are T shirts or stickers or something that can be purchased to help our family going through this poo poo. Anyone got any leads?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

Any SAG goons in the thread with insight into the current election? We received a handful of emails and some mail with a bunch of names (the group including Dr Drew and Rob Schneider can go gently caress themselves) but it's not that clear on who/how to vote.

Does anyone have a website we can look into or can private message me with the actual voting process? It's our first election (my kids are new-ish SAG members) and I don't want to screw it up.

You should have gotten a couple official election envelopes in the mail — one for the national board (white and green envelope) and one for your local (I don’t know if the locals have different colors, but the LA local was white and purple). It’s just a matter of filling it out and mailing it back. If you haven’t gotten a ballot yet I’d call the office.

I don’t know exactly what the eligibility rules are for voting but maybe your kids are *too* new to vote? Definitely call the offices though, ballots have to be postmarked by 9/9 I think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VorpalBunny posted:

Are you also in SAG? How old are your kids?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zesty posted:

Are you also in SAG? How old are your kids?

My kids are 12 and under, so I don't even think we should vote since I'd be doing all the voting for them. Though it's tempting to vote a few times against the chud candidates.

I have the ballots, and a handful of emails/mailers, I was just looking for some advice before we dug into it all. I am not in SAG.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ironhead posted:

I don't know why I didn't think to ask here, but a lot of the brothers/sisters/kin have been asking if there are T shirts or stickers or something that can be purchased to help our family going through this poo poo. Anyone got any leads?

From what I can find.

https://shop.worxprinting.coop/collections/sag-aftra is the Sag Aftra store

https://wgastrikeshirts.com/ is the WGA shop that goes to the Entertainment Community Fund.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/travishelwig/status/1694155374348427679

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VorpalBunny posted:

My kids are 12 and under, so I don't even think we should vote since I'd be doing all the voting for them. Though it's tempting to vote a few times against the chud candidates.

I have the ballots, and a handful of emails/mailers, I was just looking for some advice before we dug into it all. I am not in SAG.

I'm not in this industry at all, but it feels inappropriate for you to vote for them, and for them to vote at all while so young.

Perhaps there's someone who works for the organization you can ask about the appropriateness of it. But considering your instinct is to use their votes for your interests, I'd say you definitely should not be wielding it at all.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 23, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/gointothestory/status/1694234370725257520?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Counterpoint, you're their guardian and these votes are for their representation, so you should vote for the right person to represent their interests same as you'd be responsible for other decisions on their behalf that impact them.

Also not in any way associated with this but I do know when we hold votes in my org - if you got the ballot you're eligible, if you weren't supposed to vote you wouldn't be in the mailout.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

God, the companies are such pieces of poo poo

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Not WGA or SAG but we are kicking off some IATSE negotiations today.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Ironhead posted:

Not WGA or SAG but we are kicking off some IATSE negotiations today.

Godspeed. The companies are being extraordinarily lovely this cycle. I mean, they’re lovely every cycle, but this time feels different. It feels punitive. They want to punish us for asking for anything at all.

edit: looking at the AMPTP proposals conveniently leaked by the AMPTP, it looks like pretty much all issues have been addressed except for staffing minimums, success-based streaming residuals, and closing AI loopholes. Of course, I’m not on the negotiating committee with a lawyer right next to me, so I will stop short of saying all of the proposals are perfectly good and fair, but it looks promising.

Staffing minimums need to be addressed because the companies are setting themselves up to pay the writers more (good!) but hire fewer writers per show (bad!), saving themselves money in the long run.

I truly don’t know what the streaming residuals solution is. AVOD at least has ad sales that could correlate to success, just like broadcast & cable. But something needs to be done to reward success on streaming.

The AI stuff needs to be handled VERY carefully, because once AI is in our contract it’s gonna be there forever.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This definitely feels different. There's so much animosity radiating from these tech bro bullshitters this time. Still surprised they went on record saying "we'll gleefully get them evicted, gently caress the poor" like a week into the strike.

C-suite executives in every industry really, really don't understand how much public sentiment has turned against them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think it's ever been quite this public before. I remember when the 2007/2008 writer's strike happened, all I knew was that there was a writer's strike, it was why the Daily Show went all weird, and they wanted more money, or something. But now I've been getting nearly real-time updates on everything, writers have posted their exact demands and shown how much they've been stonewalled, and for the last several years we've seen every single streaming service just actively get gutted to pad the wallets of C-levels.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I knew who C-levels referred to but never thought about the term itself until just now when I looked it up thinking the C was like a grade, the lowest grade before pity-passing and fail.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure the fact that every media company has vastly changed its ownership structure since the last strike is part of these impasses. Since 2008:

-Comcast purchased NBCUniversal
-AT&T purchased Time Warner, then spun it off into a merger with Discovery
-Viacom and CBS Corporation re-merged
-Disney bought a lot of things, including 21st Century Fox
-Netflix, Amazon, and Apple all started making their own content

It would be silly the believe the AMPTP WOULDN'T change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a completely different scenario, right. Streaming wasn't really a thing in 2007/2008, social media was relatively new, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the core issue with streaming residuals. They were put in place when that meant a cheap webseries.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 23, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yep. They'd started to put whole episodes on their own websites before the last strike and getting them to pay one tiny little bit was this huge sticking point. They kept insisting that being able to watch all of LOST on the ABC website was "just for promotional purposes."

The issue was largely can-kicked down the road and now here we are.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Counterpoint, you're their guardian and these votes are for their representation, so you should vote for the right person to represent their interests same as you'd be responsible for other decisions on their behalf that impact them.

Also not in any way associated with this but I do know when we hold votes in my org - if you got the ballot you're eligible, if you weren't supposed to vote you wouldn't be in the mailout.

Yeah, my kids don't really understand it but the current leadership is fighting for their professional rights and I have tried to explain to them what it means when they have been bodyscanned on a job or why there are different SAG rates. They are dues paying union members and deserve a vote for their future, I just don't love the idea of voting for them. But much like the way I book their jobs and do their taxes and handle their finances, it's part of my unpaid momager role and I think I can make an educated decision for them.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up their ballots before I got started, but I think I figured it out with some googling and marveling at the idea of voting for 140 convention delegates and 41 local board members.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I hate this, as I’ve met Ted Sarandos twice now, and he is unbelievably charismatic, and I honestly thought he would break the producers’ side just to get back the love and admiration he had from creatives for most of a decade.

The crazy part is that any of the tech companies could agree to terms tomorrow at a fraction of a percent of their bottom line, and gently caress over their studio competition too. But I guess Billionaire Class Solidarity wins out. If this is really what’s going on then IATSE is gonna end up striking too, and due to the visibility maybe nothing will get settled ever, because why admit a strike can inconvenience billionaires.

Nobody making decisions for the the AMTP needs to work again, ever. This skews the way negotiations work.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Remulak posted:

Nobody making decisions for the the AMTP needs to work again, ever. This skews the way negotiations work.

Here's the thing: they can only sit on a pile of money for so long before they realize the pile of money isn't increasing at the rate they want, if it is increasing at all.

I always come back to advertisers. At some point in the next month or so, ad revenue from TV and ad-supported streaming will start to dry up as a result of the lack of programming.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't someone mention a while back that the studios need to settle things up with the advertisers by October at the latest, or else all of next year is a complete wash?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't someone mention a while back that the studios need to settle things up with the advertisers by October at the latest, or else all of next year is a complete wash?
We’re already entering the fall TV season so I would imagine that time is running out

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
So here’s one thing that stood out to me:

quote:

”For the first time, viewership data in the form of quarterly confidential reports is to be provided to the WGA that will include total SVOD view hours per title. This increased transparency will enable the WGA to develop proposals to restructure the current SVOD residual regime in the future.

Source: https://deadline.com/2023/08/wga-strike-amptp-deal-revealed-1235525636/

That would be a hard no for me - the whole purpose of this strike is to resolve issues like this today not some random date in the future.

Going back to the 2008 strike there was a thread here in TVIV by a WGA member who helped inform me about the goings on behind the scenes and the business of TV that I really found informative. Now most of that is via other channels, but SA remains a high quality aggregator of news which I enjoy. Thank you guild members for sharing your unvarnished thoughts on the matter.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I always got the sense that that was one of the WGA's lower-priority demands this time around. You look at their proposals document from earlier this year, and you have all this very detailed stuff on pay, room sizes, foreign streaming. For viewership-based residuals, it's essentially "uh, idk, some kind of viewership-based residuals tbd later?".

I don't think they were going to ever get viewership-based residuals as part of this contract, especially with DGA signing without them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The DGA's whole response of "gosh well we got a good deal and we can sort out this AI and residual stuff next time" seems dumber every day.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

The DGA's whole response of "gosh well we got a good deal and we can sort out this AI and residual stuff next time" seems dumber every day.

The leadership for the DGA straight up sold them out and it burns me up whenever I think about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tree Reformat posted:

The leadership for the DGA straight up sold them out and it burns me up whenever I think about it.

I recall reading somewhere, so grain of salt, that part of the DGA capitulating so quickly was they don't actually like having writers on the set.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

WGA sent a long email today about the state of the negotiations. Here's what the companies were proposing as "transparency" for streaming viewership:

"...the companies say they have made a major concession by offering to allow six WGA staff to study limited streaming viewership data for the next three years, so we can return in 2026 to ask once again for a viewership-based residual. In the meantime, no writer can be told by the WGA about how well their project is doing, much less receive a residual based on that data."

loving hard lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I remember during the one yahoo season of Community Dan Harmon talked about Yahoo sharing the viewing numbers with him confirming the audience was bigger than traditional ratings showed.

It's funny that apparently the only streaming service that willingly shared that info was the one that immediately folded because they went into it pretty blind on how to do it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol letting 6 randoms in to peep at the jar of m&M's so they can come back and make a guess in 3 years and also they can't tell anyone if they saw more green m$ms than red

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It kind of reminds me of some of the old testament stuff with weird rules and rituals and stipulations to visit the big tent where God would briefly dip a toe in or have an angel say something bossy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m starting to think the people that run the studios are incredibly stupid.