Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Crossposting from the funny pictures thread.

Bought Six Days in Fallujah for a friend of mine today, during the maintenance. And while the store was still up, it was inconsistent. I was able to finally buy it and gift it to him, but he received the following errors when he tried to accept the game on steam.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Yeah, it's going to be an awesome expansion once it's been out a year.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'll success -your- failure.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

> ACCESS SUCCESSFULLY DENIED:ins:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, it's going to be an awesome expansion once it's been out a year.

I had nearly zero issues with CP2077 at launch honestly. I mean I get that many, many people did have issues. But all those things smoothed out, it's hard to imagine this is going to somehow re-implement all the performance issues and poo poo like that.

Hopefully I'll be too distracted with Starfield though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

FYI if you want more Homefront Revolution stuff, grab the Terminator fps from a few years ago. It rules.
I had my eye on it for a while but even on sale the price was too much for my liking.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gromit posted:

Being one of the rare 6 player coop games, Killing Floor 3 is probably the only release-date purchase ever for me and my friend group.

Oh HELL yeah

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish I didn’t find CP2077 as boring as it was. I really didn’t enjoy any of the characters or myself. The only person I really liked was Jackie. It’s weird because im so much more receptive to the Sci-Fi setting vs Fantasy. The writing and characters in BG3 were enough for me to overlook a setting I wouldn’t normally care for.

Also because I’m extremely bad at listening to myself, I’m gonna keep an eye on the expansion; which appears to have a separate story altogether? Maybe it’ll stick the landing for me this time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

I wish I didn’t find CP2077 as boring as it was. I really didn’t enjoy any of the characters or myself. The only person I really liked was Jackie. It’s weird because im so much more receptive to the Sci-Fi setting vs Fantasy. The writing and characters in BG3 were enough for me to overlook a setting I wouldn’t normally care for.

Also because I’m extremely bad at listening to myself, I’m gonna keep an eye on the expansion; which appears to have a separate story altogether? Maybe it’ll stick the landing for me this time.

It's like Witcher 3 DLCs where it's a separate storyline that's closed off on its own thing but can be accessed or hopped out of at any point once it's open, from what they've said.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hopefully that provides a better quality, focused experience. I got the impression the base game was trying to accomplish too much and it felt like everything suffered as a result.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I had nearly zero issues with CP2077 at launch honestly. I mean I get that many, many people did have issues. But all those things smoothed out, it's hard to imagine this is going to somehow re-implement all the performance issues and poo poo like that.

Hopefully I'll be too distracted with Starfield though.

I'll give them this. The CP2077 expansion has the benefit of being made while they also fixed the game.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just blasted my way through new $6 indie game hotness and Mario 64-like Pseudoregalia!

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960718/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690560090

Posting my Steam review here:

-----
While this game has some rough edges that can confuse or frustrate at times, the overall fun and sense of freedom that comes with the core movement/traversal mechanics in this game alone made it a memorable experience that I'd love to see more of!

PROS

The movement mechanics that the game offers are incredibly fun to play and experiment with: gives me Mario 64 vibes where you practically don't even need a goal as the pure act of jumping/sliding/wallkicking/etc around the world, flexing your skills and trying to reach difficult spots is a blast in and of itself! For example, challenging myself to get to the top of that tower in the Empty Bailey with minimal upgrades felt so drat fun: sure there was a little trinket at the top to serve as a reward, but I didn't even need that to motivate me!

The game's visuals and audio are a treat: despite being simple, I found them to be very charming thanks to that N64 aesthetic, as well as some wonderful polish and subtle touches like stretch-and-squash animations, pitched sounds to indicate your depleting wall jumps, and a great soundtrack that will stick in my head for some time.

The combat is quite simple for the most part, but there are a lot of satisfying tricks to pull off like reflecting enemy shots back at them or pogo-ing off of their bodies, and the very end serves up a really cool final boss fight that shows incredible potential that I would love to see more of!

The world feels so vast and interconnected which can be intimidating, but to its credit, this game contains so many notable landmarks and rooms to help build your mental map. I couldn't believe when I beat the game and my time was only 6 hours: it felt like so much more of an adventure than that, and that's a sign of a great game to me. I really appreciate a short and sweet experience over a game I never finish because it wears out its welcome.

The game gives you a lot of freedom and wiggle room when it comes to overcoming its trials, and this can be a source of great mystery and intrigue. In retrospect, there were a lot of obstacles that I could've tackled easily if I had found an upgrade made for it, but the fact that I was able to bend the rules with some clever physics and skillful play to beat it in my own special way made me feel a great sense of accomplishment that you just don't get with games that railroad you too much! That time I thought I softlocked myself into a bad situation, only to eventually get out of it with some very tricky wall jumps will live in my memory forever.

CONS

The game has no real story, lore or even the slightest premise or vague goal to serve as a motivating factor: you're just plopped into the world and move forward for an unknown reason until you reach the rather unsatisfying ending that still offers no answers or much of anything! NPCs don't say anything of great import, and while perhaps there are some hidden lore entries somewhere I've missed, I did not find anything significant despite being thorough. In addition to the lack of story as a motivator, the game ends with not even credits, a completion score, or achievements: just takes you back to title. Gave me a real 'wait, was that it?' feeling.

Combat is quite bland with 99% of the enemies being brainless fodder. Not only that, but where metroidvanias usually create abilities that serve double-duty in both combat and traversal, in this, almost all abilities, even ones such as the downward stab, that could've added some interesting flavor into combat are sadly only utilized for movement, leaving you with just a simple 3-hit combo from start to finish. Only the final boss (which is merely the second boss) shines as a good example of what could've been super stylish combat: everything else is quite dull and janky.

While the world does have some decent landmarks and variety, I found myself getting lost constantly. A lot of the time I either had no idea where to go, or even if I did know where I had to go, the world was just too complex to remember exact locations and I usually had to just wander around until I eventually got there somehow. Thank god the movement is as fun as it is.

While the fact that the game gives you a certain level of freedom in how you tackle its challenges can be fun to experiment with, it can also be incredibly confusing. I was constantly unsure when I came to an obstacle as to whether I didn't have the right abilities or if I did but I just wasn't doing it right, especially when there is a lot of unexplained tech. This led to a lot of unnecessary backtracking where I thought I reached a dead end but actually could've pushed farther if I knew better, as well as a lot of wasted time spent bashing my head into a wall that I just wasn't capable of getting past yet.

Finally, while it was short and sweet, It really felt like the game could've had a bit more to it, like one more level to serve as a great final exam for all of the abilities you get and really put you to the test, especially since some of the abilities like the air slash felt gimmicky and underutilized. Take it as a compliment: despite its rough edges, I just couldn't stop playing and wanted more, more, more! We need some sort of Celeste-esque Farewell chapter!
-----

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here we go again.

Bets on how much of that trailer is complete bullshit just like last time?

Orv
May 4, 2011
What end would that possibly serve

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Here we go again.

It's all obviously anecdotal but everyone who has had a hands on with the Phantom Liberty build says it's basically a different game

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Orv posted:

What end would that possibly serve

Pre-orders are serious business.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Pre-orders are serious business.

Yeah but despite what large chunks of the internet think, most devs are in the business to actually make good games because they like video games. Releasing a game that doesn’t live up to expectations and trashed the reputation of your company in many circles is not something you follow up with “We’ve fixed everything people hated about how the game felt unfinished” and then not making good on that would be????? Like I get cynicism, it’s certainly earned in the case of 2077 but that’s so cynical it’s rotted your brain completely away if you think they’d try that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phoix posted:

It's all obviously anecdotal but everyone who has had a hands on with the Phantom Liberty build says it's basically a different game

Yeah, all the journos were talking high praises about the main game before the release as well after playing the first 5 hours, because that was the only polished part of the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I had a fantastic time at launch with Cyberpunk 2077 and enjoyed myself the whole game, I bet I'm going to do the same thing with this expansion :toot:

Too many great games all at once though, dang.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The DLC has been in development for at least two years when the entire base game was "only" in development for four, so I'm pretty hopeful that it's not going to somehow revert the game back to a broken state.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The dlc only lets you walk into a theater, takes control away, and makes you sit down to watch Springtime for Hitler.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Orv posted:

Yeah but despite what large chunks of the internet think, most devs are in the business to actually make good games because they like video games. Releasing a game that doesn’t live up to expectations and trashed the reputation of your company in many circles is not something you follow up with “We’ve fixed everything people hated about how the game felt unfinished” and then not making good on that would be????? Like I get cynicism, it’s certainly earned in the case of 2077 but that’s so cynical it’s rotted your brain completely away if you think they’d try that.

I try not to indulge my cynicism, but it's hard to pass up shots at CDPR.

Some places are run by legit unscrupulous people though. Funcom's CEO used Age of Conan's launch for stock fraud.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/E7ei5RIgyzI

I hate this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

milquetoast trash.

like, the first one was so beautiful to look at and this one is just generic cg and weird animations - he used some kind of special ability in that trailer and looked like his character just slid into place because it can't animate arbitrary distances.

also they already made a flashback 2, it's called fade to black and he blew up the master brain permanently defeating the morphs, so i already know the plot.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

FutureCop posted:

Just blasted my way through new $6 indie game hotness and Mario 64-like Pseudoregalia!

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960718/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690560090

Posting my Steam review here:

-----
While this game has some rough edges that can confuse or frustrate at times, the overall fun and sense of freedom that comes with the core movement/traversal mechanics in this game alone made it a memorable experience that I'd love to see more of!

PROS

The movement mechanics that the game offers are incredibly fun to play and experiment with: gives me Mario 64 vibes where you practically don't even need a goal as the pure act of jumping/sliding/wallkicking/etc around the world, flexing your skills and trying to reach difficult spots is a blast in and of itself! For example, challenging myself to get to the top of that tower in the Empty Bailey with minimal upgrades felt so drat fun: sure there was a little trinket at the top to serve as a reward, but I didn't even need that to motivate me!

The game's visuals and audio are a treat: despite being simple, I found them to be very charming thanks to that N64 aesthetic, as well as some wonderful polish and subtle touches like stretch-and-squash animations, pitched sounds to indicate your depleting wall jumps, and a great soundtrack that will stick in my head for some time.

The combat is quite simple for the most part, but there are a lot of satisfying tricks to pull off like reflecting enemy shots back at them or pogo-ing off of their bodies, and the very end serves up a really cool final boss fight that shows incredible potential that I would love to see more of!

The world feels so vast and interconnected which can be intimidating, but to its credit, this game contains so many notable landmarks and rooms to help build your mental map. I couldn't believe when I beat the game and my time was only 6 hours: it felt like so much more of an adventure than that, and that's a sign of a great game to me. I really appreciate a short and sweet experience over a game I never finish because it wears out its welcome.

The game gives you a lot of freedom and wiggle room when it comes to overcoming its trials, and this can be a source of great mystery and intrigue. In retrospect, there were a lot of obstacles that I could've tackled easily if I had found an upgrade made for it, but the fact that I was able to bend the rules with some clever physics and skillful play to beat it in my own special way made me feel a great sense of accomplishment that you just don't get with games that railroad you too much! That time I thought I softlocked myself into a bad situation, only to eventually get out of it with some very tricky wall jumps will live in my memory forever.

CONS

The game has no real story, lore or even the slightest premise or vague goal to serve as a motivating factor: you're just plopped into the world and move forward for an unknown reason until you reach the rather unsatisfying ending that still offers no answers or much of anything! NPCs don't say anything of great import, and while perhaps there are some hidden lore entries somewhere I've missed, I did not find anything significant despite being thorough. In addition to the lack of story as a motivator, the game ends with not even credits, a completion score, or achievements: just takes you back to title. Gave me a real 'wait, was that it?' feeling.

Combat is quite bland with 99% of the enemies being brainless fodder. Not only that, but where metroidvanias usually create abilities that serve double-duty in both combat and traversal, in this, almost all abilities, even ones such as the downward stab, that could've added some interesting flavor into combat are sadly only utilized for movement, leaving you with just a simple 3-hit combo from start to finish. Only the final boss (which is merely the second boss) shines as a good example of what could've been super stylish combat: everything else is quite dull and janky.

While the world does have some decent landmarks and variety, I found myself getting lost constantly. A lot of the time I either had no idea where to go, or even if I did know where I had to go, the world was just too complex to remember exact locations and I usually had to just wander around until I eventually got there somehow. Thank god the movement is as fun as it is.

While the fact that the game gives you a certain level of freedom in how you tackle its challenges can be fun to experiment with, it can also be incredibly confusing. I was constantly unsure when I came to an obstacle as to whether I didn't have the right abilities or if I did but I just wasn't doing it right, especially when there is a lot of unexplained tech. This led to a lot of unnecessary backtracking where I thought I reached a dead end but actually could've pushed farther if I knew better, as well as a lot of wasted time spent bashing my head into a wall that I just wasn't capable of getting past yet.

Finally, while it was short and sweet, It really felt like the game could've had a bit more to it, like one more level to serve as a great final exam for all of the abilities you get and really put you to the test, especially since some of the abilities like the air slash felt gimmicky and underutilized. Take it as a compliment: despite its rough edges, I just couldn't stop playing and wanted more, more, more! We need some sort of Celeste-esque Farewell chapter!
-----

i am just about 3.5 hours in and am absolutely loving it. pretty much agree with all your points so far. its a joy to move around and explore. got a new outfit and finally found the slide jump. definitely looking forward to playing more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

milquetoast trash.

like, the first one was so beautiful to look at and this one is just generic cg and weird animations - he used some kind of special ability in that trailer and looked like his character just slid into place because it can't animate arbitrary distances.

also they already made a flashback 2, it's called fade to black and he blew up the master brain permanently defeating the morphs, so i already know the plot.

I still occasionally replay the original Flashback and the game totally holds up to this day (other than the part where it doesn't tell you about the necessary for progress running jumping ledge grab move) and looks fantastic.
It's a crime that nobody has made a step platformer like that since.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I still occasionally replay the original Flashback and the game totally holds up to this day (other than the part where it doesn't tell you about the necessary for progress running jumping ledge grab move) and looks fantastic.
It's a crime that nobody has made a step platformer like that since.
give Lunark a look, I forget if the demo for it is still up tho

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/mdbwNf1yyCA
:stare:

I love you Night Dive Studios, please have my babies!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cartoon Man posted:

https://youtu.be/mdbwNf1yyCA
:stare:

I love you Night Dive Studios, please have my babies!
You gotta have em yourself first and then they'll remaster them in 20 years

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nightdive don’t miss baybeee

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

I try not to indulge my cynicism, but it's hard to pass up shots at CDPR.

Some places are run by legit unscrupulous people though. Funcom's CEO used Age of Conan's launch for stock fraud.

Yeah that’s entirely fair, they hosed up real good with Cyberpunk - even before launch with the really dogshit responses they had to some stuff - but it was just wild to me to imagine even them committing to that bad an idea. Of course I could be wrong which would be exceedingly funny but I think even your average, not-internet-brained person might find buying the next CDPR thing objectionable after that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jack Trades posted:

Here we go again.

I mean they're not exactly promising the world. They're adding new guns, new cars, new quests, changing values in their skill tree, and tweaking the police AI, none of that is hard to believe and its harder to imagine any of that not happening.

The footage is all just combat there's no indication of "life sim"/RP aspects and those were the parts of CP that were vaporware.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 23, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

I mean they're not exactly promising the world. They're adding new guns, new cars, new quests, changing values in their skill tree, and tweaking the police AI, none of that is hard to believe and its harder to imagine any of that not happening.

It was pretty hard to believe that a full-priced AAA game from an esteemed studio would release with cop AI that would literally just spawn right behind you yet this is the timeline that we live in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried that Moonbreaker game since it's free to try right now and I like the idea and the presentation but only having 1v1 online pvp at the moment means I'll just leave this on the wishlist for now. Sounds like they're adding bot matches *soon*, but there's another mode that I guess is an actual single player possibly roguelike thing that might be more interesting to me that is not in the game yet. So right now the game is basically just "painting" figures and online 1v1 matches and eh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

The footage is all just combat there's no indication of "life sim"/RP aspects and those were the parts of CP that were vaporware.

No, they've explicitly said they're reworking the thing entirely. This video was showcasing all the various new "capstone" abilities.

It's not just a simple rebalancing of the numbers on the same old skills.

Otherwise I do agree

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it'll run fine

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It sounds like the changes they're making to CP2077 is almost entirely stuff that drove me away from the game so I'm looking forward to trying it out again with the update. I'm not expecting the game to suddenly be 10/10 perfect game because they overhauled the skill tree and added police but I'll definitely be checking it out again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

I tried that Moonbreaker game since it's free to try right now and I like the idea and the presentation but only having 1v1 online pvp at the moment means I'll just leave this on the wishlist for now. Sounds like they're adding bot matches *soon*, but there's another mode that I guess is an actual single player possibly roguelike thing that might be more interesting to me that is not in the game yet. So right now the game is basically just "painting" figures and online 1v1 matches and eh.

Cargo Run should already be in there as the PvE Rogue lite mode. Unless they disabled it.

There is some other new single player mode in the works though, although I don't know anything about it. I'm sure someone who is now involved in the game's Discord could tell you though (the devs are very active there)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jack Trades posted:

It was pretty hard to believe that a full-priced AAA game from an esteemed studio would release with cop AI that would literally just spawn right behind you yet this is the timeline that we live in.
I'm not even saying it'll be good now, just that the video wasnt promising a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone here regularly use steam remote play together? https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

I used it for streets of rage and it works but it's a loving nightmare to set up:

I load up the game, invite my friends, select player 1, my friend joins but is also controlling player 1 so I plug in another gamepad and now I'm player 2 on this second gamepad (and player 1 on the first, but my friend is also player 1 so I put that gamepad down) , but another friend logs in and now they're player 2. oh well I plug in my third gamepad and then I can use it and play. but sometimes my friend who is player 1 suddenly starts being player 4 so I have to unplug a gamepad and oh no ok wait time to restart the game so we can try and get it right this time...

repeat x4

Finally I give up and play with mouse and keyboard while my remote friends play with their gamepads, but I do have 2 gamepads plugged in that I tried to select players with until my friends logged in

"but you can assign controllers to each player with the interface!" that does nothing! it sucks!

Any advice? Is it all games or is just streets of rage bad, or is it my computer, or ???