Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

call_of_qthulhu posted:

what's the thread consensus on beets rn?

Tasty, shelf stable, make your poops read, what's not to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

imo beets taste like dirt. do not recommended.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

Wash them.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

call_of_qthulhu posted:

No matter the protective qualities (not likely), eating more fruit and veg will help with anything going around right now, so fill up on whatever you like best.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Eating a variety of fruits and veg is never a bad thing. Throw a beet in there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eXXon posted:

A lot of my otherwise smart coworkers who abandoned precautions in the last year are getting it now, some for the first time. My bold prediction is that the next 6-8 weeks will be critical to determine if anyone does something about it in the subsequent 6-8 weeks.

Same. Lots of people posting 'well, I made it three years, but' on FB.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pingui posted:

Wash them.

They are very earthy regardless I could see someone saying they taste like dirt.

Weirdly cilantro used to taste like soap to me but now it doesn't. But the taste is still slightly reminiscent of soap, like it's one of those images that you can interpret differently and while you see one of them you can kinda see the other image too. Beets feel a bit similar with the dirt taste.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

thalweg posted:

Well it was 3 years but I got got. Getting anything from my doctor is like pulling teeth but maybe I can get some paxlovid outta them.

In the last week alone, 5 people I know IRL who are totally unconnected to each other have gotten it for the first time. Two in the last 24 hours. I don't know that many people, and only know 3 or so more NoVIDers. I assume this is a confluence of people dropping their guards, a new strain with more immune evasiveness, and fading immunity from people's last vaccination or infection.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MjolnirMan posted:

In the last week alone, 5 people I know IRL who are totally unconnected to each other have gotten it for the first time. Two in the last 24 hours. I don't know that many people, and only know 3 or so more NoVIDers. I assume this is a confluence of people dropping their guards, a new strain with more immune evasiveness, and fading immunity from people's last vaccination or infection.

Barney, give Mac a cigarette, he looks like he needs a cigarette.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

call_of_qthulhu posted:

yes

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The vibes in this thread are like if you are at work and your boss is just constantly standing behind you watching for you to do something wrong.

It sucks and I hate it now.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I sit alone at my imported Malbec purple heart table, my Brioni suit lined with unkempt creases. Dried beet dust is formed into lines on a mirror in front of me.

I take a rolled up hundred dollar bill, of which I have thousands, and begin ripping lines. "I can't believe how much money I made off the pandemic" I whisper to myself.

I sit, alone and probated, in my empty high rise apartment looking down at this damned streaky mirror, trying to see where it all went wrong; but all I see is a few red smears where a man used to be.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

The vibes in this thread are like if you are at work and your boss is just constantly standing behind you watching for you to do something wrong.

It sucks and I hate it now.

you don't enjoy being back in the office??

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

you could say the same thing about succ zone a year or two ago, and in retrospect there was a valid criticism that we would spend way too much time winding ourselves up over posts we didn't have to read, often just to the moronic end result of a regular succ zone poster getting riled up enough to go running into D&D screaming about azov-nazi-loving neoliberals because they'd been boiling about ukraineposting for hours in the succ zone - except instead of screaming at DV and catching 3 days off it's screaming at the sample vendor and getting asked to leave the costco.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Maintaining my beet place setting in hopes for Calibanibal's return and our liberation from this plague

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

you could say the same thing about succ zone a year or two ago, and in retrospect there was a valid criticism that we would spend way too much time winding ourselves up over posts we didn't have to read, often just to the moronic end result of a regular succ zone poster getting riled up enough to go running into D&D screaming about azov-nazi-loving neoliberals because they'd been boiling about ukraineposting for hours in the succ zone - except instead of screaming at DV and catching 3 days off it's screaming at the sample vendor and getting asked to leave the costco.

I legitimately have no idea who this is referring to - the succ zone / D&D thing that is.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
the probation at the end

:discourse:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

MjolnirMan posted:

Two people I know admitted to catching it "for the first time!"
Press x to doubt lol, none of them mask.

Part of me wonders if they've actually caught it a few times previously and were simply asymptomatic, and now that they've caught it enough times it's to the point where being asymptomatic is no longer possible.

In any case my sister and her family are flying in tomorrow to bring my grandma home from her multi month long visit, and all of them will no doubt be unmasked on the flight. I don't even think they've considered their actions will potentially maim the ones they supposedly love (grandma and the kids). Truthfully I don't think they consider anything outside of their own immediate consumptive interests. Pretty sad poo poo tbh. Even if they get sick I think they'll write it off as flu instead of actually testing.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Lib and let die posted:

u cant beat beets

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

silicone thrills posted:

I legitimately have no idea who this is referring to - the succ zone / D&D thing that is.

I hope you drop by occasionally, after we get through the next few months we should have things nicer by then.

:smith:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
North Carolina

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Cool, I guess my FIL (almost 80) is getting on a plane tomorrow to visit my wife's brother's family. No, he will not be wearing an N95 (it messes up his hair). He'll wear a KN95 (except when eating and drinking and when he "feels safe" aka when most other people aren't masking). Just trying to block it out but I don't have a good feeling about this. There's no way to stop people from hurting themselves and others.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Demilich posted:

Two people I know admitted to catching it "for the first time!"
Press x to doubt lol, none of them mask.

Part of me wonders if they've actually caught it a few times previously and were simply asymptomatic, and now that they've caught it enough times it's to the point where being asymptomatic is no longer possible.

In any case my sister and her family are flying in tomorrow to bring my grandma home from her multi month long visit, and all of them will no doubt be unmasked on the flight. I don't even think they've considered their actions will potentially maim the ones they supposedly love (grandma and the kids). Truthfully I don't think they consider anything outside of their own immediate consumptive interests. Pretty sad poo poo tbh. Even if they get sick I think they'll write it off as flu instead of actually testing.

yeah there's a ton of people who say "oh well I never got covid, I mean, I had a horrible cough for two weeks and felt really crummy but It Wasn't Covid and also the blue helmets are doing a davos great reset by making everything taste worse than it used to" but I would also not be surprised if there's a lot of people in the situation MjolnirMan was suggesting

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hailthefish posted:

yeah there's a ton of people who say "oh well I never got covid, I mean, I had a horrible cough for two weeks and felt really crummy but It Wasn't Covid and also the blue helmets are doing a davos great reset by making everything taste worse than it used to" but I would also not be surprised if there's a lot of people in the situation MjolnirMan was suggesting

lmao just making up a quote whole cloth and saying "tons of people say this".

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its super cool how a person's story about regretting how they got upset and the manager apologizing about the vendor who set them off has mutated into a dozen different forms.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i'm summarizing the nonsense my insane chud parents relay to me :shrug:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Demilich posted:

They never had covid, as they tested negative on an expired RAT that they briefly inserted into their nose. They have, however, had three of those summer colds we all remember people getting all the time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

sounds familiar

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sounds familiar

almost as if it's a dumb thing to do from either angle.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
it’s very important that we don’t malign the reputations of “tons of people” you’re right

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Maybe you should extend a bit of faith to other posters.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress did i shitpost without a prescription in the covid thread

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

tuyop posted:

it’s very important that we don’t malign the reputations of “tons of people” you’re right

THANK YOU.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

don't worry i won't hoard the terrible posts there's still plenty for you all to make

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023...chnologies.html

https://i.imgur.com/mKLmEZw.png
https://twitter.com/betsyladyzhets/status/1694087141913948403

Bummer about that little wrinkle

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also interesting that HHS is compartmentalizing both funding and organization so heavily and not treating "reduce long covid incidence or severity" as a key goal of vaccines and acute-phase therapeutics.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

now if only there were any consequences for One Angle's worht

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

all doctors are liars and frauds intentionally keeping the diagnosis rates of COVID dampened so people don't realize it's JUST AS BAD AS IT'S EVER BEEN

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

Also interesting that HHS is compartmentalizing both funding and organization so heavily and not treating "reduce long covid incidence or severity" as a key goal of vaccines and acute-phase therapeutics.

In that context, I’m curious what they even view the purpose of second gen vaccines as being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shiroc posted:

In that context, I’m curious what they even view the purpose of second gen vaccines as being.

a convenient pathway to shovel more money into the pharmaceutical industry maybe?