Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

McTimmy posted:

God drat did Witch Watch have me cackling like a loon.

Yeah, it was such a great payoff. 10/10, no notes.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, despite the earlier fakeout it really seems like this is the end of fabricant.

Yeah. And it stuck with its premise, mostly: 100 seemed surprised at how unaffected she was by Ashibi's apparent death, but at the same time it looks like she's going after 1? Might be more of a "gently caress you for ruining my good thing" situation than anything, but we'll see soon enough

MMA: glad we're actually seeing the women fight. Had a slight worry that the series might avoid it

Do Retry: so four more chapters left?

Red Cat Ramen: still holding my attention, and might be up there with Akane-banashi and Sakamoto Days for my favorite manga on Sundays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I was eating that joke up so much i kinda wish it stretched a little longer and was even more incomprehensible to the villain but it was still good

So you’re saying you wished it would keep on keeping on?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Elite posted:

:bisonyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps: The suffering of Rinko Fukumora due to being a magnet for our moderately dangerous weirdos and their shenanigans is my favorite running gag. Hang in there girl! :allears:
That being said, there were also some serious developments here: we got an explanation why our main girl is so twisted (as far as you can trust her sister, anyways) and the story decided to not even pretend that our main boy has not became fully unhinged. "Fun" times ahead!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elite posted:

You're half right.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tataba's final comment in Weekly Jump.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wait, was that really the last chapter of Fabricant?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Wait, was that really the last chapter of Fabricant?

No.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 21, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That’s what I know I read. But I’ve seen two people talk about this being the end which made me think I missed something somewhere

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Darth TNT posted:

That’s what I know I read. But I’ve seen two people talk about this being the end which made me think I missed something somewhere

Because the storyline is one that would seem like it would happen at the end of the story and the manga has been doing terribly in Shonen Jumps rankings. This means that people think it’s wrapping things up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

I wasn't saying that this was the final chapter, but that it looks like we're in the endgame of the series (and I think gimme was also saying that), which I think is reasonable after what just happened (along with its poor rankings). I'm not going to say that it has only a few chapters left or anything like that, but I'll be glad to be wrong if this is the start of a new direction, a swerve, or whatever. I like Fabricant and hope it keeps going, but I'm not feeling optimistic now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's hard to come back from "your super power which is also what the main relationship is based on has a hard limit and also you just reached it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's hard to come back from "your super power which is also what the main relationship is based on has a hard limit and also you just reached it."

Something that I think just doesn't work for the manga is the idea that there's a scientific explanation to all of the powers. Like it would be one thing if they were just peak human but then you have stuff like 100's fire powers or the most recent bad guy's ice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Honestly, at this point, I think it would be good for Fabricant to end strong as it is rather than flounder trying to be something else looking for ratings. I feel like 100 not caring about Ashibi dying in burning rubble is reflective of the author in the way as the Red Hood characters literally fighting against someone trying to end their story, just in the opposite direction.

Kill Blue: Him returning to a kid after getting serious makes me more confident in my idea of what's happening.

Akane: Time for some sillies. Looking forward to this arc.

MMA: Glad we're seeing the women's division stuff, I hope this means Nao gets to stay prominently in the story instead of getting shuffled off once Asumi gets good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think it’s time they give Phantom Seer another shot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Black Stones posted:

I think it’s time they give Phantom Seer another shot.

Actually has this happened before? One of those series that gets 20 chapters before getting axed coming back for a second chance.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
In Shonen Jump? I have no idea. The Golden Kamuy author is rebooting his hockey manga though. I think Bisco Hatori went back to a previous work after doing Ouran.

There’s precedent for previous works to get a revival but it generally only happens when the author has made it big.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Nue has been competent enough but I'm not sure I wanna be here five years from now talking about it.

It doesn't matter if you want to. You will be. You will be enthusiastically posting about Nue in 5 years.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It doesn't matter if you want to. You will be. You will be enthusiastically posting about Nue in 5 years.

The manga is in my hand. It is a manga about a man and a woman. They are fighting ghosts, in 2028. In twelve seconds time, I drop the manga to the sand at my feet, walking away. It’s already lying there, twelve seconds into the future. Ten seconds now. The manga is in my hand. I found it in a derelict bar at the gila flats test base, twenty-seven hours ago. It’s still there, twenty-seven hours into the past, in its dustcover, in the darkened bar. I’m still there, looking at it. The manga is in my hand. The woman takes a game controller between thumb and forefinger. The ghost pauses. Seven seconds now. It’s October, 2024. I’m on Mars. It’s July, 2023. I’m in New Jersey, at the Palisades Amusement Park, talking about how Nue's Exorcist probably won't last six months. Four seconds, three. I’m tired of reading the manga now. I open my fingers. It falls to the sand at my feet. I am going to look at the stars. They are so far away. And their light takes so long to reach us… All we ever see of stars are their back issues.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 22, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

I doubt manga is ending. Instead, I believe the narrative is setting up a way for Juzo to transform back to an adult temporarily. I would guess that the cherry he ate that day would be the cause.

This is my guess for Kill Blue.

Also, for Blue Box -- what a wonder to have two manga with "Blue" with the name running in the same magazine at the same time --- I suspect we will see Saki now that Kyo name dropped her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps: The suffering of Rinko Fukumora due to being a magnet for our moderately dangerous weirdos and their shenanigans is my favorite running gag. Hang in there girl! :allears:
That being said, there were also some serious developments here: we got an explanation why our main girl is so twisted (as far as you can trust her sister, anyways) and the story decided to not even pretend that our main boy has not became fully unhinged. "Fun" times ahead!

Hope that the author changes Airi from being a clone of Kisaki. I honestly thought our girl just wanted to continue to be stylish. And agreed, Rinko having such terrible luck attracting these crazy kids is amusing.

A neat detail is that the older sister didn't bowl a perfect game because her sister got brought up during her last frame. Specifically why she doesn't do anything about her sister's disposition and I'm not sure how I want to interpret that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

It will be interesting to see if the protagonist can maintain that gormless look for 5 whole years.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

It will be interesting to see if the protagonist can maintain that gormless look for 5 whole years.

I need some explanation for gormless. Do you mean messy and formless? Because I agree. He ghost form is simultaneously too sparse and too messy. Which is weird because the ghost girls with wheels has a vey neat look and his current opponent also has a cleaner design

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
gormless is like foolish/doofy/stupid looking

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gormless
/ˈɡôrmləs/
adjective INFORMAL•BRITISH
lacking sense or initiative; foolish.
"a constantly grinning, rather gormless boy"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Shibatarian: Wasn’t expecting Spider-Mom

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I did not realise gormless was British only. This is like me learning that the rest of the English speaking world doesn't use "outwith" all over again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I did not realise gormless was British only. This is like me learning that the rest of the English speaking world doesn't use "outwith" all over again.

It's like how the British call gas stations "petrol stations" yeah.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alacron posted:

Shibatarian: Wasn’t expecting Spider-Mom

I cant explain how funny that last page is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shibatarian has this odd combination of pretty normal horror with really goofy visuals

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Julias posted:

It's more like how they say "come in useful."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double: House arrest isn't that terrible when the house is ballin.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Julias posted:

But petrol isn't a gas when it's in the tank? Your ways are strange and foreign to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gas is short for gasoline, and petrol is short for petroleum.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I cant explain how funny that last page is

The building of the tension throughout the chapter was excellent, then came the last page and I burst out laughing. That had to be intentional.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

catching up on baby steps and aw man i never realized it abruptly got the axe that sucks

goodnight sweet prince, the world was simply not ready for a sanely-paced sports manga that made it to the world stage and with a romantic subplot that actually went somewhere

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah Baby Steps was only getting better as it went and being cancelled 400+ chapters in is crushing.

At least we got to see our boy go pro

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I watched the anime for that and really liked it. Wonder what happened, usually long running things are almost impervious to cancellation. Momentum just carries it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

Yeah Baby Steps was only getting better as it went and being cancelled 400+ chapters in is crushing.

At least we got to see our boy go pro

it's such a weird ending too because it starts like any other baby steps match and then the final page is just strong bad yelling IT'S OVER!!!

still yeah Maruo actually a) hit the world stage and got a respectable ranking and b) (is implied to have) hosed, which makes him more accomplished than p. much every other high school sports protagonist in manga history i think

The Black Stones posted:

I watched the anime for that and really liked it. Wonder what happened, usually long running things are almost impervious to cancellation. Momentum just carries it.

i'm guessing it got canned to make room by some lovely editor or other, in the final note the author blames themselves for not being good enough to see it through so it wasn't their choice to end it.

you're right that it's really weird that it got an anime and everything and just got abruptly axed like that, usually something has to utterly poo poo the bed to have that happen but there was no quality drop or anything.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yinlock posted:

it's such a weird ending too because it starts like any other baby steps match and then the final page is just strong bad yelling IT'S OVER!!!

still yeah Maruo actually a) hit the world stage and got a respectable ranking and b) (is implied to have) hosed, which makes him more accomplished than p. much every other high school sports protagonist in manga history i think

Reminds me of Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu which also didn't end so much as just stop. They'd even had a round of expanding the supporting cast, everything was just ticking along and then suddenly the announcement it was ending in like five chapters. It also had a love story that went somewhere and was more focused on the female lead's sports journey (even if it was bouncing off of the 'tall girl/short guy' trend at the time).