Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or make unreasonable demands, so I'll just be sitting over here waiting patiently for Outlaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Out of interest, does the Q2 remaster run the few custom maps that are out there, or would they need to be updated?

There's no reason why maps wouldn't work. Mods are what need updating due to the shift to 64bit and updates to the SDK.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lucius still plans on getting outlaws working on tfe

Weedle
May 31, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like a scrub because I can't really think of the last time I went "wow that map was the bomb"

dusk's erebus reactor

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bbcisdabomb posted:

as long as it had both play modes.

... also could apply to Einhander

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Weedle posted:

dusk's erebus reactor

Huh, I would have picked Escher labs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Huh, I would have picked Escher labs.

Escher labs is neat in a level design trickery kind of way. Erebus Reactor is awesome in a "this is a giant playground and I have explosives" way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Nightdive, how about that SiN Reloaded. On the steam page there's an August update saying it'll happen at a later date and stuff.

By the way, what are the gameplay, balance, and level changes for Quake 2 remaster? Saw somebody made mention of stuff like that, changes to geometry etc.

It mentions improved AI enemies, I actually want dumber enemies if anything. For example in Black Mesa the soldiers shoot me from 1000 miles away before they're a pixel tall on my TV. Plus smart enemies were not part of the Quake 2 ethos. Would you want Doom 2 remastered with smarter enemies? That'd be heresy. Not counting mods. I actually would prefer a pacifist route for Quake 2 also. Anyways, classic beloved game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Re: level chat, I'm the weirdo who wants to play CS:GO on pleasant looking maps like lake house instead of playing loving de_dust again.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I want to play every game on 2fort. Regardless of which game it is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If 2fort’s so good, where’s 3fort

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My fav multiplayer map is that The Killer / John Woo themed Action Half-Life one with the bathhouse stuff and the jazz club. hkheat. So many fun maps in that mod.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

You are thinking linearly, which is a mistake. There never was a 1fort, nor will there be a 3fort. 2fort is all that has and will be.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite MP level is the one from SiN built like an MC Escher painting where you could teleport onto the walls and cieling and it would switch your gravity, that was a blast. I think it was called Paradox?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The increase in level design quality in DUSK from episode 1 to episode 2 is pretty insane. Don't get me wrong I like episode 1, but 2 and 3 are just so much better and more interesting it's insane.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of Nightdive, how about that SiN Reloaded. On the steam page there's an August update saying it'll happen at a later date and stuff.

By the way, what are the gameplay, balance, and level changes for Quake 2 remaster? Saw somebody made mention of stuff like that, changes to geometry etc.

It mentions improved AI enemies, I actually want dumber enemies if anything. For example in Black Mesa the soldiers shoot me from 1000 miles away before they're a pixel tall on my TV. Plus smart enemies were not part of the Quake 2 ethos. Would you want Doom 2 remastered with smarter enemies? That'd be heresy. Not counting mods. I actually would prefer a pacifist route for Quake 2 also. Anyways, classic beloved game.

My understanding is the "new" AI behaviors are mostly things that were cut from the original release due to not being finished by the time they needed to ship. This includes things like enemies being a little better at dodging projectiles or moving while shooting, and some enemies like the berserker having a leaping attack. It's not so much as enemies being bullshit as "wow, this behavior was kind of stupid and this game was way too easy" because id had to make compromises to get the game out on time.

Level and architecture changes are mostly very minor changes to fill the world out a bit more. There are a few areas that were cut from the original game due to time that were put back in, most significantly an area in the first level. Enemy changes beyond the AI improvements are things that the expansion packs added, such as some changes to the brains.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Heavy Metal posted:

I believe all the changes to geometry / AI were stuff that was planned but was cut for whatever reason. The AI isn't smarter as such, just more capable and mobile and is definitely an improvement. The game is now challenging, whereas originally it's pretty easy even on nightmare.
The only thing I hope they tweak in the upcoming patch is the Berserker's power slam thing; it's pretty much unavoidable as it is.

e:fb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

I almost real posted to this but then it remembered it's an old meme lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the berserker leap is weirdly bugged, the blast radius for it is huge or damage is calculated based on something other than how close you are to the impact.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There was never going to be a 3fort. However, in the secret places of the bsp there are whispers of a 2fort_5, and the implications cause even to bold to shudder.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

The only thing I hope they tweak in the upcoming patch is the Berserker's power slam thing; it's pretty much unavoidable as it is.

Oh my god, having never played Quake 2, that first fight with two Berserkers was a bit of a WTF moment for me. Between that and the jump attack, it's hard to know what's happening. I just lose all situational awareness.

[The remaster is so, so, good, though, I keep wishing I was playing it right now.]

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skasion posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought TF2 Classic had a 4-team version of 2Fort (4Fort?) but apparently not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or make unreasonable demands, so I'll just be sitting over here waiting patiently for Outlaws.

Wanna see them long fingers on my ultra wide

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

catlord posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought TF2 Classic had a 4-team version of 2Fort (4Fort?) but apparently not.
I remember 4fort

but when's someone going to be brave enough to bring back 8fort

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrankSinatra posted:

Oh my god, having never played Quake 2, that first fight with two Berserkers was a bit of a WTF moment for me. Between that and the jump attack, it's hard to know what's happening. I just lose all situational awareness.

[The remaster is so, so, good, though, I keep wishing I was playing it right now.]

There's a part with a bridge over a lava pool, and a button at the start of the bridge that lowers it into the lava. When you start crossing the bridge two berserkers rush you. Now in the original game this is a fun little, "oh I'll just back up and hit that button" moment. You try that now and they both leap across a football field sized gap filled with lava and pound you. It's a fun reversal of fortune.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the remaster is really the quake 2 that quake 2 deserved. it also shows how important really minor stuff can be in taking a game from 'very competent' to 'something special'

i think id were always masters at building great foundations for FPS games, but sometimes didnt succeed quite as much in execution of the level sets. doom 2 has stood the test of time, but i think it would be remembered a lot less fondly if it was restricted to the levels it shipped with. there are gems in there but, god drat.

call of the machine, by its contrast, exposes for me what the flaws were in base quake 2: there were never any big fights. it was like bulletstorm where you'd pass through massive arenas and nothing would be there apart from 3 flyers. facing more than 5 enemies at once (except for flyers who get used more i guess due to low polycount?) is rare, so you're never really forced to do anything other than shoot at stuff till it dies while like mildly moving side to side. it makes the game feel like a bit of a treadmill instead of a rollercoaster.

i know its not ids fault, it was a big technical leap, but man did that leap come at the expense of an exciting experience.

the alterations the remaster makes do improve the base game and its expansions a great deal though, even with the low monster count. having berserkers actually be able to close distance, and a few things dodge reasonably, does mean you get into dicey situations more often.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fil5000 posted:

If you liked vigilante 8, play Interstate 76! It's the same game but with an actual plot and characters and it's like five quid on GoG.

Considering that game barely runs even on period accurate machines suggesting running it on a modern computer is some bad comedy

IronicDongz posted:

no idea what Vigilante 8 is but Einhander is unfathomably good so agreed

Vehicle combat game like Twisted Metal

Dramicus posted:

I want to play every game on 2fort. Regardless of which game it is.

2fort is one of those maps that even though objectively it's not a very good map(not to mention TF2's default rules for CTF aren't very well balanced) it's just really fun to mess around on every now and then

Also TF2 probably has an unfair advantage compared to a lot of other games when it comes to level design, in terms of playability there's only a couple outright bad maps(Turbine, Junction and like one or two others) and even the maps that aren't great to play on at least look nice since TF2 has an excellent aesthetic to it

skasion posted:

Probably exists as a fan one, I've definitely seen 4 team versions of 2fort before

Dramicus posted:

You are thinking linearly, which is a mistake. There never was a 1fort, nor will there be a 3fort. 2fort is all that has and will be.

Nah I've seen 1fort before and have even played on it

catlord posted:

Not as an base map but it does exist and I have played it, unfortunately the 4 team modes in TF2C are more a gimmick than anything actually worth playing

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's interesting, I just have the opposite take on Q2's AI changes so far. But I think the thing is, you want more options, more the merrier. There could be "classic" difficulty settings where enemy AI is the same, and maybe similar placement etc. I'm playing this on a controller, and the controller feel with the options here doesn't feel quite up to snuff, even after tinkering. But anyways, not everyone is playing on a mouse with monster energy drink and found Quake 2 too boring or something. There's a zen and grooviness to oldschool AI. But it's just that changing something to make it harder which I guess is more engaging if thats why you're playing, that's not the same pro for everyone. I think Quake 2's SP combat is a bit ho-hum anyway, so I'd rather cruise through it for the cool level design and ambiance. I'd actually like a custom settings like Doom mods etc to make enemies have less health or something. All sorts of custom difficulty settings would be cool.

That said, even on a wonky controller skill setup it is fun jumping online. Playing on N64 maps I hadn't played where it's all tight small spaces and everyone blowing eachother away, fun stuff.

Playing on a controller is definitely a different vibe, just saying, good ol' Quake 2 was totes great as is

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember someone posted a q1 mod a while back that made all enemies peaceful and removed all attacks, clicking on an enemy had them talk to you so you could just walk around these worlds chatting with weird goblin guys and gooey knights. I kind of like that.

When I was younger I'd play with godmode on anyway and just take it as the levels being puzzles to solve, so no shame for wanting an easier experience. Play on easy or cheat, I will absolutely not fault you for that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember someone posted a q1 mod a while back that made all enemies peaceful and removed all attacks, clicking on an enemy had them talk to you so you could just walk around these worlds chatting with weird goblin guys and gooey knights. I kind of like that.

When I was younger I'd play with godmode on anyway and just take it as the levels being puzzles to solve, so no shame for wanting an easier experience. Play on easy or cheat, I will absolutely not fault you for that.

That mod sounds awesome!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

I remember joining a NeoTF server when I was like 12 and it was running 4fort and it was one of the most confusing experiences of my life. I haven't played it since, the only thing I remember is that you needed to bind a million console commands to even play.

quote:

NeoTF is an server-side modification of the popular Half-Life mod Team Fortress Classic. It adds several new features to TFC, including chat-spying, tesla coils, airstrikes and more.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fil5000 posted:

If you liked vigilante 8, play Interstate 76! It's the same game but with an actual plot and characters and it's like five quid on GoG.

More games should have a dedicated button where you can ask your partner on the radio to read you some of their poetry.

Also the 70s Cop TV Show opening credits is still one of the best examples to this day.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9TTurkH4c

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
When will nightdive have an afternoon free to remaster Operation bodycount everyone is desperately wondering I'm sure!!!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

drrockso20 posted:

Also TF2 probably has an unfair advantage compared to a lot of other games when it comes to level design, in terms of playability there's only a couple outright bad maps(Turbine, Junction and like one or two others) and even the maps that aren't great to play on at least look nice since TF2 has an excellent aesthetic to it

I think the core game mechanics are so good that even the bad maps are fun to play on. Gold Rush and Dustbowl are badly designed in many ways but still remain popular choices. But then I also enjoy playing Turbine so maybe don't listen to me

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Everyone always asks what Nightdive is doing, but they never ask how Nightdive is doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm guessing with their streak of wins they're feeling pretty pleased

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dramicus posted:

Everyone always asks what Nightdive is doing, but they never ask how Nightdive is doing.

I asked! They just sort of shrugged and said "fine", then shuffled off to their room and put on some of that loud annoying music the kids of today like.

So yeah no idea.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m still having trouble in Q2 64 due to those berserkers constantly loving me up with that jump slam and that you usually fight them in cramped places unlike original Q2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m still having trouble in Q2 64 due to those berserkers constantly loving me up with that jump slam and that you usually fight them in cramped places unlike original Q2.

Gotta rush 'em down fast in get in their face, and then 2 slaps of the ol' slappin' Super Shotgun*

*note: not always applicable on low gravity maps, or when there's 2+, or generally when you've got a higher priority target you've got to do a dodge dance for