Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

2 have made offers? Miami and....?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1694446063120191562?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Seems wild to me that a team like, I dunno, Tampa or Washington or Atlanta, wouldn't be trying to scoop up Lance (dunno if they'd have the cap room at this exact moment though).

Trey's as unknown a 3rd-year QB as you'll ever see, a legit mystery box between the raw potential skills and lack of playing time at all levels. If he was only coming out of college this year, he'd be a mid-round pick as a project QB, yeah?

Maybe the calculus going on is "can't have a pure project on the roster at his current cap hit", but still. I'm surprised that zero teams who've been in 6-to-9 win purgatory made a call to Lynch.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Shanahan is a really elite coach and if he doesn't want Lance, that'd worry me. And I'd tag that as a higher red flag than if it was some random shitter HC.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:smaug:

https://twitter.com/McNamaraDynasty/status/1689314339423977472

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I know we're all old but maybe someone could benefit from this here:

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1694424479407997223?s=20

My oldest just started college this week. Hell yeah. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

NFL should go to NHL style rules and have a neutral emergency QB in every stadium if the first two go down. Brandon Weeden, you are the next 49ers QB.

Sorry, it has to be a 52-year old accountant or Zamboni driver.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sorry, it has to be a 52-year old accountant or Zamboni driver.
Don't look it up but I think Brandon Weeden is 52 years old now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wandler20 posted:

I know we're all old but maybe someone could benefit from this here:

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1694424479407997223?s=20

On one hand, I am a student for hopefully one last semester

OTOH, I get a surprising high amount of Eagles games in Dallas and the Eagles have a lot of national games this year

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, if you’re a DirecTV customer, and you have the basic sports package, you get Redzone for free the next ten years as part of said sports package.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

The Derek Carr/Davante Adams phenomenon.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shrimpy posted:

The Mike Evans/Johnny Manziel phenomenon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Aaron Rodgers/Allen Lazard

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Papercut posted:

idk the fact that he's not at practice today is weird

Yeah, that’s unusual, but they probably wanted to talk to him privately, and let him talk his to his agent and discuss through options. Work hours.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Coldforge posted:

The QB2 designation is a thing required by the NFL for the new "Dress 3 QBs" rule. Darnold being the number 2 at this point is logical, since he has more game experience and Lance is still developing.

They're almost certainly keeping Lance this year; as soon as they passed the 3rd QB rule it became the most likely outcome.

I think teams assigning QB2 and QB3 has been a thing every year, though maybe it's more formal with the new rule? Not sure I've heard anything like that

Which teams would even make sense for Lance? Maybe the Raiders (lol), Commanders... Falcons? Not sure many teams would want him except as insurance, which is what he is already in SF

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Talking head speculation seems to be that the Vikings are in play for Lance with very little in compensation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Might have been the panthers with the reich connection.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel the 49ers would be pretty foolish to trade Trey unless it's a break the bank offer

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hear me out: JT to the Chargers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spicy Tua roll?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bip Roberts posted:

Spicy Tua roll?

That’s what he learned in Jiu Jitsu

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I think teams assigning QB2 and QB3 has been a thing every year, though maybe it's more formal with the new rule? Not sure I've heard anything like that

Which teams would even make sense for Lance? Maybe the Raiders (lol), Commanders... Falcons? Not sure many teams would want him except as insurance, which is what he is already in SF

There's always been a depth chart, but the new system requires the team to designate one of their dressed backup QBs as "QB2," and they can be subbed in and out like normal. QB3 doesn't count against the active 46 players, and can only be subbed in if an injury occurs (or disqualification) to both other QBs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I know this isn’t an entirely sincere post but Watson was responsible for 6 of Lances 42 TDs in 2019 and averaged 45 yards per game. He definitely wasn’t carrying that offense.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Yeah, I watch almost every NDSU game and it's criminal how under used Watson was. It was painfully obvious he was usually the best player on the field but they couldn't use him properly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
NDSU has been a powerhouse destination for 3/4 star recruits since the Craig Bohl era and doesn't have to do stupid poo poo like schemes or teaching their players how to play football

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Shrimpy posted:

I dunno, I feel like Davante is a really good WR, it wasn't just Carr making him look good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

NDSU has been a powerhouse destination for 3/4 star recruits since the Craig Bohl era and doesn't have to do stupid poo poo like schemes or teaching their players how to play football

They don't get 4 star recruits and rarely 3 stars. The new coach sucks tho so they're gonna fall off a bit until they replace him. Klieman was probably the best coach they had.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Doltos posted:

I feel the 49ers would be pretty foolish to trade Trey unless it's a break the bank offer

Agree with this, there are flashes there that make me lean towards him figuring it out at some point, and they very well could use him this season given their history with QBs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

They've seen him for three offseasons now and aren't even comfortable placing him ahead of Sam freaking Darnold on the depth chart. When can we just say he's probably no good?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fsif posted:

They've seen him for three offseasons now and aren't even comfortable placing him ahead of Sam freaking Darnold on the depth chart. When can we just say he's probably no good?

Coming out of last off season they saw him as better than Garoppolo or Purdy, so clearly they saw something. I think they view Darnold as more ready right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Papercut posted:

Coming out of last off season they saw him as better than Garoppolo or Purdy, so clearly they saw something. I think they view Darnold as more ready right now.

I'm not a Trey Lance truther or anything, but it's also possible he's more hesitant right now because he doesn't trust his leg yet? That's a thing that everyone talks about after an ACL and he had some more than that going on.

The guy is just a closed box of who knows what is in there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

They don't get 4 star recruits and rarely 3 stars. The new coach sucks tho so they're gonna fall off a bit until they replace him. Klieman was probably the best coach they had.

Nah they get 3 stars all the time but you're right they don't get 4 stars. I do think there's a lot of guys playing in the MVC that could be 4 stars if anyone ever sent scouts to Montana or Idaho.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Papercut posted:

They were going to write off last season in order to let him get the reps he desperately needs, but ooops, he got injured and the rest of the team turned out to be really good already. So they can't write off another season because their window is now and he's not even good enough yet to be QB2.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

nikosoft posted:

They were going to write off last season in order to let him get the reps he desperately needs, but ooops, he got injured and the rest of the team turned out to be really good already. So they can't write off another season because their window is now and he's not even good enough yet to be QB2.

This is a perfect summary. Things would be a lot different if Purdy wasn't there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nikosoft posted:

Yeah I agree with this. Their window doesn't line up with Lance's after losing an entire season of development.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Coldforge posted:

This is a perfect summary. Things would be a lot different if Purdy wasn't there.

Yep, if the team sucked then Lance would probably be starting right now, but they don't so he can't. There's worse problems to have tbqh

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If Purdy sucked I still think they'd be trying to replace Lance. There were whispers about him really not being ready to play even last offseason. I always saw the Garoppolo re-signing as an, "oh poo poo, we've been watching Lance all training camp and we're going to need an escape hatch in case he doesn't improve in-season."

Bringing in Sam Darnold with both Purdy and Lance on the roster really just sealed how unhappy the 9ers were with Lance.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

I always saw the Garoppolo re-signing as an, "oh poo poo, we've been watching Lance all training camp and we're going to need an escape hatch in case he doesn't improve in-season."

Garappolo was already under contract through 2023. Because of the shoulder injury it would have cost them 7.5M to release him, so after they failed to find a trade partner they restructured his last year to pay him 6.5M. They kept him out of camp, he didn’t have a playbook and his contract situation didn’t get settled until the season was about to start.

They’d have traded him if they had any decent offers and they’d have cut him if his injury hadn’t triggered more guaranteed money. As it stood their best option was to pay him less as a backup than it would have cost them to release him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Trey Lance is the biggest bust in 49ers history.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

If Purdy sucked I still think they'd be trying to replace Lance. There were whispers about him really not being ready to play even last offseason. I always saw the Garoppolo re-signing as an, "oh poo poo, we've been watching Lance all training camp and we're going to need an escape hatch in case he doesn't improve in-season."

I don't know that I truly believe in Purdy, even before the injury. There were some things going on that didn't seem sustainable.

But Lance being behind Darnold is pretty damned rough for his outlook. Like, at least make the guy second string if you think you have something.

e: should also note that preseason messing around with roster bullshit is real, just in case that's what's going on here. I do think they're out on Lance, but, you know. Head games with coaches can get weird, so just hedging on this a bit until they cut him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

Trey Lance is the biggest bust in 49ers history.

Just because AJ Jenkins couldn’t bulk up enough.