Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

this is fascinating. are there issues with aranet fakes? that's the kind of thing that seems so niche I never would have expected it

It's loving amazon dude, who knows, but if it happened with n95s, good chance. Well worth committing to OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
in 10 years some AAA game is going to have faded "please wear a mask" in store front windows and people are going to lose their minds at the environmental storytelling

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

in 10 years some AAA game is going to have faded "please wear a mask" in store front windows and people are going to lose their minds at the environmental storytelling

pretty sure the division/2 already have that

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bobtheconqueror posted:

They forgot they were there.

I mean literally. they might as well be the "you must be 21 to buy alcohol" signs now

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

imo there's an interesting story parallel to tell there between the viral outbreak in the division and the covid pandemic, since the initial transmission method of the virus was on tainted dollar bills during christmas there's a very unintentional anticapital framing to the way the game plays out but at its core it's still a tom clancy game so you end up killing the anticapitalists

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nexous posted:

too much Covid fatigue to remove the outdated signs
my dude there are bodegas near me that still have signs claiming a maximum capacity of three people

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the real find is big stickers on the ground saying to maintain 6 feet of distance

bonus if it says what direction to walk down an aisle

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

the real find is big stickers on the ground saying to maintain 6 feet of distance

bonus if it says what direction to walk down an aisle

my local walgreens still has them, but i think it's mostly because it's Good Branding to have a veneer of giving a gently caress about public health if you're a walgreens/cvs/rite-aid

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I still see floor stickers semi regularly. I know I also saw plexiglass barriers recently but most of those are gone.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This was interesting; generally "Neuro-PASC" (NP) sufferers are excluded from care at long COVID clinics, but at this specific clinic they included people without a positive test, but suffering from similar symptoms and with a suspected case of COVID. They found that a large percentage of these had, in fact, had COVID. They have subsequently had even more issues getting care. The authors conclude that "millions of Americans" presenting with postviral syndrome (PVS) are actually suffering from Neuro-PASC.

Main caveat is the size of the study, with a mere 29 PVS participants and 18 controls.

"SARS-CoV-2–Specific Immune Responses in Patients With Postviral Syndrome After Suspected COVID-19"

https://nn.neurology.org/content/10/6/e200159 posted:

Abstract
Background and Objectives Millions of Americans were exposed to SARS-CoV-2 early in the pandemic but could not get diagnosed with COVID-19 due to testing limitations. Many have developed a postviral syndrome (PVS) including neurologic manifestations similar to those with postacute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (Neuro-PASC). Owing to those circumstances, proof of SARS-CoV-2 infection was not required for evaluation at Northwestern Medicine's Neuro COVID-19 clinic. We sought to investigate clinical and immunologic findings suggestive of SARS-CoV-2 exposure in patients with PVS.

Methods We measured SARS-CoV-2–specific humoral and cell-mediated immune responses against Nucleocapsid and Spike proteins in 29 patients with PVS after suspected COVID-19, 32 confirmed age-matched/sex-matched Neuro-PASC (NP) patients, and 18 unexposed healthy controls. Neurologic symptoms and signs, comorbidities, quality of life, and cognitive testing data collected during clinic visits were studied retrospectively.

Results Of 29 patients with PVS, 12 (41%) had detectable humoral or cellular immune responses consistent with prior exposure to SARS-CoV-2. Of 12 PVS responders (PVS+), 75% harbored anti-Nucleocapsid and 50% harbored anti-Spike responses. Patients with PVS+ had similar neurologic symptoms as patients with NP, but clinic evaluation occurred 5.3 months later from the time of symptom onset (10.7 vs 5.4 months; p = 0.0006). Patients with PVS+ and NP had similar subjective impairments in quality of life measures including cognitive function and fatigue. Patients with PVS+ had similar results in objective cognitive measures of processing speed, attention, and executive function and better results in working memory than patients with NP.

Discussion Antibody and T-cell assays showed evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 exposure in approximately 40% of the PVS group. Three-quarters of patients with PVS+ had detectable anti-Nucleocapsid and one-half anti-Spike responses, highlighting the importance of multitargeted COVID-19 immunologic evaluation and the limitations of commercially available diagnostic tests. Despite their persistent symptoms, lack of COVID-19 diagnosis likely delayed clinical care in patients with PVS. Our data suggest that millions of Americans presenting with PVS resembling Neuro-PASC were indeed exposed to SARS-CoV-2 at the beginning of the pandemic, and they deserve the same access to care and inclusion in research studies as patients with NP with confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis.

Article about the matter, with a guest appearance by fan favorite Al-Aly (article is only cut down for size and is worth the whole read if of interest):

"New study suggests people who tested negative for Covid-19 can still develop long Covid"

https://www.statnews.com/2023/08/23/long-covid-diagnosis-negative-test/?utm_campaign=rss posted:

Of the 103 million confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the U.S., an estimated one-third have led to long Covid — a condition that ranges in severity, but can be debilitating. A new study suggests that even more people may be suffering from the post-viral syndrome without having ever received an official diagnosis of Covid-19.

The study, published Wednesday in Neurology, Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation, was small, examining only 29 patients. But it offers unique insights into how many cases of long Covid may go unidentified because the patient’s Covid-19 infection wasn’t detected.

“We estimated that there were approximately 10 million people in the first year of the pandemic in the U.S. who are in this predicament: who got Covid, got long Covid, but tested negative for Covid,” said Igor Koralnik, who led the study and is the chief of the division of neuroinfectious diseases and global neurology at Northwestern Medicine.

The findings of the study suggest that a positive diagnosis for Covid-19 should not be a requirement for treating people whose symptoms are in line with long Covid, said Ziyad Al-Aly, a clinical epidemiologist at Washington University in St. Louis, who was not involved with the study.

“Restricting access to care [for] long Covid to people who had established disease will disenfranchise and really marginalize people who are actually likely the most vulnerable among us,” said Al-Aly, noting that people with fewer resources or who live in areas where testing is not easily available may have a harder time getting a diagnosis.

Koralnik, who oversees Northwestern’s Neuro Covid-19 Clinic, also noted that “negative long-haulers” should be included in long Covid trials and studies, from which they are currently excluded.
(..)
The study also highlights the pervasiveness of long Covid at a time when there’s increasingly less public focus on the disease.

“We have a crisis on our hands. But unfortunately, in a lot of ways it’s really invisible to the average person on the street, because a lot of these long Covid patients who are actually severely impacted are in bed or at home,” said Al-Aly. “[They are] the missing millions among us who are missing in the workforce, missing from parties, missing from birthdays.”

“Long Covid is really a pandemic within the pandemic,” said Koralnik.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Chamale posted:

Went to a walk-in yesterday and they still had the sign saying "LET OUR STAFF KNOW IF YOU HAVE A COUGH AND HAVE TRAVELLED RECENTLY"

They asked me those questions a few months ago when I had to get bloodwork. In the hospital. With zero masks in sight.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
An obnoxious POTS? thing that has been getting worse for me over the years:

My heart rate goes loving wild to the point where it makes me sick just from standing up painting, doing something I love to do that should be low impact.

I absolutely cannot imagine how much worse my life would be if I got long covid on top of this garbage.

Anyway here's a painting i just finished

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

This was interesting; generally "Neuro-PASC" (NP) sufferers are excluded from care at long COVID clinics, but at this specific clinic they included people without a positive test, but suffering from similar symptoms and with a suspected case of COVID. They found that a large percentage of these had, in fact, had COVID. They have subsequently had even more issues getting care. The authors conclude that "millions of Americans" presenting with postviral syndrome (PVS) are actually suffering from Neuro-PASC.

what's the difference between Neuro-PASC and PASC?

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Today I told one of the people who just got it (supposedly) for the first time about telehealth for Paxlovid. Her reply:

quote:

I opted out not to get the Paxlovid as I have so many supplements that I am taking. I don't have any more fever/chills. Just need the rest and drink plenty of liquids. I feel better, too when I am outside getting the natural Vit D.
I'd feel more comfortable living-and-let-living if she didn't live a few doors down my apartment hallway.

I also warned a colleague who (claims to have) never had it that everyone I know who hasn't had COVID before is getting it for the first time this month. Since she has some health concerns and may be on medications I don't know about, I asked her if she's spoken to her PCP about if it's safe for her to take Paxlovid, as when her whole family got it a year or so ago, they all got monoclonal antibodies which as we all know aren't an option anymore. She replied that she still doesn't have a PCP even though she's been living here for over a year, working at a healthcare center with a PhD in biology.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm still LOLing about the tiny elevator I found a few weeks back with the "Maintain safe distancing!!!" sign with the "safe" distance altered to only 1.4m (roughly 4.5 feet) because it wasn't physically possible for people to stand further apart than that inside it

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We used to have signs absolutely everywhere warning everyone "Keep 1.5m distance at all times!!! Oh god, the covid will get you if you get any closer!!!" but what happens if your building has a tiny elevator and it's not physically possible for two people to get inside it and move 1.5m away from each other?

Life finds a way!

Elevator too small for the 6' rule? Just use the 4.5' rule instead!! :eng101:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

what's the difference between Neuro-PASC and PASC?

Just a specification of the type of PASC. Not everyone has stuff like memory issues, brain fog etc. which would constitute Neuro-PASC.

From the research paper:

quote:

Many individuals with PASC experience neurologic symptoms including cognitive impairment, fatigue, autonomic disturbances, myalgia, headache, and other pain syndromes,3 termed Neuro-PASC (NP).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"computer toucher" becoming the default insult on this forum is like the most spider-man pointing at spider-man thing possible

computer toucher spotted…

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Homeless Friend posted:

Snitch.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

turn your monitor on

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thank you former employer for firing me so I cannot be insulted for touching computers upon the Something Awful forum.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rick posted:

Thank you former employer for firing me so I cannot be insulted for touching computers upon the Something Awful forum.

praying 4 next big disease so UI spigot comes back.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We're all touching computers to post on this site. Even ur phone is a little computer.

NONE OF YOU IS FREE FROM SINS

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

We're all touching computers to post on this site. Even ur phone is a little computer.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

silicone thrills posted:

I simply scream my posts at the digital assistant of my consumer brand of choice like a normal person :shrug:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pingui posted:

I simply scream my posts at the digital assistant of my consumer brand of choice like a normal person :shrug:

Back when I was still a professional computer toucher I set up dragon naturally speaking for plenty of other computer touchers.

YOU ARE NOT ABSOLVED OF SIN

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Siri call this guy computer toucher

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Homeless Friend posted:

praying 4 next big disease so UI spigot comes back.

Don't tempt fate, the poo poo we keep seeing with bird flu is scary.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Homeless Friend posted:

Gal. Get it right PAL

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Homeless Friend posted:

"Siri"? Okay Mr. Moneybags...

:thermidor:

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

siri orders you a technician off of amazon, which had just spontaneously generated a gig work department.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my only computer toucher sin is finally folding and getting a mechanical keyboard, membrane keys are superior imo but theres no non weirdo 2.4ghz

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Risk Assessment Summary for SARS CoV-2 Sublineage BA.2.86"

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/covid-19-variant.html posted:

(..)
Wastewater Detection: A U.S. wastewater sample that was collected as part of routine monitoring in the National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) has preliminarily indicated the presence of the BA.2.86 variant. Scientists are investigating this sample and will continue to closely monitor wastewater for further or more widespread evidence of BA.2.86. NWSS is one of multiple monitoring systems CDC uses to detect variants within the United States, and is meant to be used with other COVID-19 public health data to better understand COVID-19’s spread.
(..)
Therapeutics: Examination of the mutation profile of BA.2.86 suggests that currently available treatments like Paxlovid, Veklury, and Lagevrio will be effective against this variant. Monitoring is ongoing and CDC will update this document as human data on the impact of this variant on therapeutics become available.

Diagnostics (tests): Based on BA.2.86’s mutation profile, the anticipated impact on molecular and antigen-based is low.

The lack of specification of the NWSS sample reads to me like it indicates - at the very least - a third US case.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

An obnoxious POTS? thing that has been getting worse for me over the years:

My heart rate goes loving wild to the point where it makes me sick just from standing up painting, doing something I love to do that should be low impact.

I absolutely cannot imagine how much worse my life would be if I got long covid on top of this garbage.

Anyway here's a painting i just finished

I have the same problem, walking around for hours is fine somehow but if I stand in one spot for more than a few minutes (especially after sitting down for a prolonged period of time) my heart rate goes through the roof, I get faint and short of breath, and my legs start to get numb. this is especially bad for me being in a choir.

does anybody have any recommendations for alleviating this? my primary doctor was of absolutely no help in this regard.

cool painting, btw

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Shiroc posted:

I still see floor stickers semi regularly. I know I also saw plexiglass barriers recently but most of those are gone.

They still make people wear paper in student health.

TBH, given how much of a piece of poo poo that building is, I'd wear an N95 even without covid, there's gonna be legionella all up in that loving thing one of these days.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i miss the plexi because it was a huge windbreak, you could put stuff down and it wouldnt fly away….

it was also below headlevel now that i remember lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Absurdly and considering where the whole "schools are safe" bullshit started, this is a Swedish study.

"Bus drivers twice as likely to be hospitalized for severe COVID-19"

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230823/Bus-drivers-twice-as-likely-to-be-hospitalized-for-severe-COVID-19.aspx posted:

Bus drivers were at double the risk of being hospitalized for severe COVID-19 in the later stages of the pandemic, and several occupations in education and healthcare were also at risk of serious illness. This has been shown by a study at the University of Gothenburg.

The study is based on large amounts of data from several different registers, in total 552,562 cases of confirmed COVID-19 infection and 5,985 cases of severe COVID-19 infection. These cases, based on hospitalizations from October 2020 to December 2021, were then cross-referenced with the person's occupation in November of the previous year. The study compared occupations that involved working closely with other people and occupations that had little or no close contact with colleagues or the public.

While the risk of hospitalization for severe COVID-19 was found to be particularly elevated among bus and tram drivers (98% increased risk), the study also highlights staff at after-school clubs (72% increased risk), registered nurses (68% increased risk), compulsory school teachers (60% increased risk) and preschool child minders (60% increased risk).
(..)

Link to study proper: https://www.sjweh.fi/show_abstract.php?abstract_id=4103

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schmeichy posted:

Pharma: where lives saved is a distant second to dollars earned.

My big crack-ping moment over this was the financial news articles heaping scorn on Gilead for finding a cure for Hepatitis C and ruining the lucrative Hep-C pharma market.

quote:

How Gilead Is Paying The Price For Actually Curing A Disease

ALLISON GATLIN
11:46 AM ET 03/10/2017

When biotechnology giant Gilead Sciences (GILD) bought Pharmasset in 2011, it inherited a compound then known as 7977, which Wall Street analysts expected to bring in $3.6 billion in peak sales by 2018.

But just three years later, 7977 launched under the name Sovaldi at north of $1,000 a pill. It raked in $10.3 billion in 2014 sales alone and proved to be a nearly foolproof cure for hepatitis C virus, or HCV. Over three years, Gilead's flagship HCV drugs pulled in more than $44 billion. They also doubled the company's net margins, pushing them past the 50% level at one point in mid-2014.

Trouble is, Gilead didn't just treat hepatitis C. For the most part, it cured patients after about three months. Sovaldi had an unheard-of success rate of up to 95% in some hepatitis C patients, and its follow-on treatment, Harvoni, proved more effective in some cases. Eventually, the patient pool was bound to get smaller, and it has. Sovaldi and Harvoni sales fell a respective 24% and 34% in 2016.

"Think of it like an opening of a blockbuster movie in Hollywood and people wait in line," RBC analyst Michael Yee told Investor's Business Daily. "Thus, there are less coming in right now than before."

Now the pressure is on Gilead to produce another big hit to drive its growth. And for biotech investors, its story is a cautionary tale to look beyond the initial fanfare of a hot new drug and consider the costs should it deliver on its promise.

Hepatitis — unlike HIV, Alzheimer's disease and many types of cancer — can be a short-term temporary condition, said Kevin Young, Gilead's chief operating officer, on the company's Feb. 7 earnings conference call with analysts. Gilead says fewer patients are starting on HCV regimens and those that do are healthier than past patients.

"And thanks to Harvoni, (HCV) can be cured in as little as eight weeks in a genotype 1 patient," Young said, referring to the most common type of hepatitis C.
Sentiment Returns To 2011

Gilead confirmed worries of the hepatitis C slowdown on Feb. 7 after releasing its fourth-quarter earnings
. Shares toppled 8.6% the next day, nearly touching a three-year low. Whispers of the looming dip in HCV drug sales had plagued Gilead stock for the better part of a year.
When they realised they'd hosed up by potentially killing off the Hep-C cash cow they tried to profit off it as best they could, pricing the new treatment just below the cost of the other effective treatment (a liver transplant) which made it the most expensive drug in the US at the time

quote:

Harvoni launched with an even bigger $94,500 price tag. Gilead took its lumps in headlines for the price of both, but RBC analyst Yee says the price tags weren't particularly egregious, considering prior treatments and costs.

"The high cost of treatment was not high relative to the existing prior therapy and was significantly better," he told IBD in an email. "The costs have all come down by 50% given competition and other rebating."

The price has since dropped fairly dramatically but even though we've had an effective cure for Hep-C for a decade now the US still sees 15,000 preventable deaths caused by Hep-C annually because many people in the US who catch Hep-C still can't access this treatment

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's weekly update, cobbled together from the state's excel reports Cumulative Counts and EpiCurve Counts.

Recent Hospitalizations
Hospitalizations of Washington state residents dated by week of first admission due to confirmed or probable COVID-19.

pre:
Hosp.      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Aug 20            -        -        -        -       + 56          56
Aug 13            -        -        -       43      + 179         222
Aug 06            -        -       49      147       + 10         206
Jul 30            -       35      123       18        + 9         185
Jul 23           40      103       17        1        + 3         164
All Older       109       28        5        6       + 11          
Recent Deaths
Deaths due to confirmed/suspected COVID-19 are dated week of death.

pre:
Deaths*    Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 20            -        -        -        -        + 2           2
Aug 13            -        -        -        -       + 18          18
Aug 06            -        -        -        8        + 8          16
Jul 30            -        -        9        6        + 0          15
Jul 23            -        4        5        2        + 0          11
All Older        12        4        1        1        + 2         
And now for the least useful metric...

Recent Cases (Molecular + Antigen)
Cases are dated as first specimen date of either PCR or antigen test unless greater than 90 days since previous positive, then it is considered a reinfection.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 20            -        -        -        -      + 878         878
Aug 13            -        -        -      405    + 2,304       2,709
Aug 06            -        -      610    1,619      + 128       2,357
Jul 30            -      575    1,522       60       + 32       2,189
Jul 23          413    1,246       43       12       + 12       1,726
All Older     1,044       68       28    1,517       + 21          

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
another situation where we clearly have the tools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Homeless Friend posted:

i miss the plexi because it was a huge windbreak, you could put stuff down and it wouldnt fly away….

just use your voluminous goonform to break wind instead