Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

who. who says that

which one are you contesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:awesome: How awesome is the front page? :awesome:

polio king posted:

The forums are far more amusing than the main page and its articles.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

habeasdorkus posted:

Hello, I'm Graydon Saunders, and based upon what you've written you've got a decent chance to like my Commonweal series, which begins with The March North. Book 1 is similar to the Black Company books, Books 2 & 3 are not so much, Books 4 & 5 get back to the mil fantasy aspect of the world. SA discussion thread here.

ulmont posted:

Hello, I'm Graydon Saunders, and I'd like to second my earlier recommendation that you check out my Commonweal series.

VostokProgram posted:

are either of you actually Saunders or is this some joke I don't understand

Groke posted:

We are all Graydon.

Kestral posted:

It’s a long-running bit, created after so many goons were posting their enjoyment of the Commonweal series that someone unironically accused them of being sockpupptets.

neongrey posted:

someone (i forget who) who didn't like the series insisted that the only way it had any popularity here was because Saunders was posting through a sock here

Remulak posted:

I've never sock-puppetted for my work, it stands on its own merits.

And the second book is the worst of my series, IMO, and is skippable.

Jedit posted:

Man, I haven't even skipped the first book yet.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What is that series about that it’s so good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have no idea, I just felt it was a funny non sequitur after that buildup.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

freeedr posted:

What is that series about that it’s so good

You should know, you wrote it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Context is Pokémon videogames.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean you should kick most people’s asses even in the early games but for one example, your rival used to be a genuine threat. Now they pick the starter that’s weak to yours instead of stronger and their team sucks. Scarlet and Violet had a bit more of a challenge than Sword and Shield though (that was the lowlight of the series in a number of ways), and with the open world you can deliberately take on tougher fights earlier.

mycot posted:

The universal rejection toward the Rivals becoming nice weaklings who want to be your friend is so funny. People genuinely preferred it when your rival was a huge jerk.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eating Silver’s rear end so many times he realize that being nice to his mons makes them more powerful than being harsh ftw

Fake e: woops but I ain’t editing that typo on my life

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Commonweal fantasy series is very good but not everyone, not even most people, would probably enjoy it. The guy has the most odd writing style I've encountered in my life and it is simultaneously captivating and absolutely infuriating. It's definitely the most unique series I've ever read but I probably wouldn't recommend it to just anyone.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

volts5000 posted:

Makin' sure that sum'bitch goes right through the eye of the needle.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

D-Pad posted:

The Commonweal fantasy series is very good but not everyone, not even most people, would probably enjoy it. The guy has the most odd writing style I've encountered in my life and it is simultaneously captivating and absolutely infuriating. It's definitely the most unique series I've ever read but I probably wouldn't recommend it to just anyone.

You should really not be so hard on yourself

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dip Viscous posted:

The "chicken tendies" people love to refer to online now are just regular chicken strips.

Carthag Tuek posted:

you already just realized that 6 months ago lol

Dip Viscous posted:

"Tendies" are just regular chicken strips. I'd never heard the term at all before last year but now it seems like it's everywhere.

Dip Viscous posted:

I have zero memory of posting that. :psyduck: Or of learning that.

Dip Viscous posted:

I guess the thing I just realized is that sleeping for 90 minutes a night back then was worse for me than I thought.

zedprime posted:

Memento guy but he has a photograph of a basket of chicken tenders.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Don’t believe its thighs

dobbymoodge posted:

The thing I just realized is that forums poster Dip Vicious has a carbon monoxide leak in his house, or perhaps a touch of amphetamine psychosis. :shrug:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Chicken roughies, more like.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

All You Can Eat posted:

Look at this Prigz huge falls

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles’ pun game is on point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

(Leans into mic) not a pun

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

D-Pad posted:

What's the line? "A heroic but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to pretend to be written in English?"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

John Lee posted:

What's the line? "A heroic but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to pretend to be written in English?"

People learning english often have problems with the "th", which should have been the first clue

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

People learning english often have problems with the "th", which should have been the first clue

Commonweal is actually a real word, but yeah my brain kept trying to substitute commonwealth and it was annoying.

John Lee posted:

Yes this is a great way to describe it. It's weird because it's the only time I've encountered bad writing that is not actually bad writing if that makes any sense? It's so unique and different and frustrating but it's not bad, sometimes it's even great and it's really rewarding when you successfully parse what the gently caress is going on. I'd recommend it to anybody who is a very serious reader but not people who read books now and then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

D-Pad posted:

Yes this is a great way to describe it. It's weird because it's the only time I've encountered bad writing that is not actually bad writing if that makes any sense? It's so unique and different and frustrating but it's not bad, sometimes it's even great and it's really rewarding when you successfully parse what the gently caress is going on. I'd recommend it to anybody who is a very serious reader but not people who read books now and then.

An old buddy of mine spent several decades writing a horribly juvenile fantasy novel which I tried reading once and it was a real struggle to get through even a few chapters until I realised it was written in his distinct "voice", and when I tried reading it using his speech patterns and inflections for the narrator's voice it sorta kinda worked.
He kept asking friends to edit it for him and it never ever worked out, as far as I know he never got it polished enough to be published. Checking Amazon for his name doesn't bring up any results.

A whole lot of my friends are failed authors even though that's a much lower bar to clear in the age of NANOWRIMO and print-on-demand self publishing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's very easy for amateur writers to get in a 'I know what I mean and so should you' kind of attitude, especially if they're a little too immersed in particular genres and fandoms.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An old buddy of mine spent several decades writing a horribly juvenile fantasy novel which I tried reading once and it was a real struggle to get through even a few chapters until I realised it was written in his distinct "voice", and when I tried reading it using his speech patterns and inflections for the narrator's voice it sorta kinda worked.

"Everybody speaks like the author, regardless of age, sex, or background" is a very common flaw of newbie writers - and sometimes experienced ones as well.

I've heard fanfiction described as 'fiction with training wheels', and one advantage is that it's much easier for a first-time writer to realise "hold on, this is not how Dumbledore should talk" and correct themselves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NihilCredo posted:

one advantage is that it's much easier for a first-time writer to realise "hold on, this is not how Dumbledore should talk" and correct themselves.
...huh. never thought of it like that.

*puts a line in the otherwise pristine "Pro" column*

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

"But Doctor," said the patient, "I am my lawyer!"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay I should be over in the romance thread but this summary is too good not to share (mock):

quote:

A DARK MISTRESS BECAME HIS DESTINY

Plucked from the depths of hell, former military sniper Reno Manchahi was hired by the government to kill a thief, but he had a mission of his own. Descended from a family of shape-shifters, Reno vowed to get the revenge he'd thirsted for all these years. But his assignment went awry when his target turned out to be a powerful seductress, a woman who risked everything to fight a potent evil.

They had a combustible connection, yet he struggled to reveal the truth about himself--his Apache upbringing, his Jaguar pride, his death plot. Soon, Reno had to transform himself into a true hero, accept this new love and conquer the enemy that threatened them all. He had to become a Warrior for the Light….

Jedit posted:

I think I'm going to mock you for wanting to read it.

Mock.

Mock mock mock.

Mock mock.

Mock.

Because dear god, "paranormal romance" is a genre that would raise no complaints if it showed up at a book burning. It's all terrible and it's incredibly likely to turn into a candid display of the author's personal fetishes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some people just enjoy powerful wish-fulfilment protagonists who can take fourteen werewolves.

General Battuta posted:

“I want to kill fourteen people” - fantasy of the deranged, no careers available, even the army won’t take you

“I want to have sex with fourteen werewolves” - you can get paid to do this, possible lucrative onlyfans income, self actualizing, good conversation starter

fritz posted:

"I want to say fourteen words" - lots of room for you in this genre.

General Battuta posted:

At first this was funny but then it suddenly wasn’t! :godwin: I hope you don’t mean it like that…

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would read 14 werewolves vs 14 nazis done in the style of Wolfenstein

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They made that movie already I think?

Jedit posted:

The post itself is 14 words long. :hmmm:

General Battuta posted:

gently caress

e: wait no it's not

habeasdorkus posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, this is 14 words long. :psyduck:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Another from the same thread:

big dyke energy posted:

Another candidate for a good fantasy novel with a romantic subplot :v: The fisting scene was unexpected, but appreciated. I'm very excited to read the eventual sequel to this one, iirc it kind of ends on a cliffhanger? I really need to reread.

General Battuta posted:

The fisting was a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

navyjack posted:

Thread title

sebmojo posted:

I'm, uh, not sure it will fit

Everyone posted:

sebmojo posted:

I'm, uh, not sure it will fit

The fisting was a welcome surprise?

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Aug 24, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

D-Pad posted:

Commonweal is actually a real word, but yeah my brain kept trying to substitute commonwealth and it was annoying.

Yeah, Common Weal is a Scottish pro-independence think tank. It means "prosperity for all".

The reason the Commonweal keeps coming up in the SF thread is because one of the only things we know about Graydon Saunders is that they are (or were) almost certainly a goon - they've been seen elsewhere referencing things said on this forum. But unlike other goon authors like Seth Dickinson and Sascha Stronach, Saunders has never actually revealed their identity. It's thus become a running joke that any goon who recommends the series - and indeed, all such goons simultaneously - must actually be Graydon Saunders themselves.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Beginning to think less of fantasy literature

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Wait is this actually a real thing and not just a running gag about Brandon Sanderson?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
*stands up* I am Graydon Saunders.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
*pointing Graydon Saunders finder at sternum* Just checking if this thing works guys :trollface:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Baron Sarandon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GolfHole posted:

Being a TV weather person seems fun :)

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's not all sunshine and rainbows.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

SimonChris posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just woke up and my brain parsed this as "I would read 14 werewolves vs 14 nazis done in the style of Berenstain", and I was like :yeah:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dobbymoodge posted:

I just woke up and my brain parsed this as "I would read 14 werewolves vs 14 nazis done in the style of Berenstain", and I was like :yeah:

Return to Castle Berenstain

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Zesty posted:

It's a 15 year old joke mocking a bad videogame comic artist who was trying to express his grief about a miscarriage he actually experienced.

Being weirdly obsessed with it like this is pathetic.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's time for goons to move past it

e: fun story, my buddy growing up his dad was a cop and he filed the arrest report when tim got caught stealing a bunch of steaks from the local stop & shop

Lib and let die has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Aug 24, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm not ready for the loss of such a good joke.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zesty, indeed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Return to Castle Berenstain

I'd play a boomer shooter set in the Spooky Old Tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paladinus posted:

Zesty, indeed.

Honestly he's testy