Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

Sorry that I referenced three whole months ago where "Mega Tard" was the rallying cry of the dumbest assholes on the forums.

what does any of that have to do with you claiming this thread is being trolled without repercussions because people posting insanely weird stuff got probed?

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

Lmao I'd have an opinion, but it's just too weird. I still wear a mask and everything

yeah its wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Gotta say that I strongly dislike the present moderating climate of aggressively punishing and shaming people who are or care for immunocompromised people for getting frustrated and lashing out at being called r-slurs and dangers to the forums and society on a whole for years.

Do you really believe that saying mods or trolls are setting out to aggressively punish and shame immunocompromised people is a fair description of what's happening lately?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

bamlanivimab

i dare you to make a vocaroo of you saying this three times as fast as you can, which then will be made into a walkout song for SA Wrestling.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

fosborb posted:

this got reported as being anti vaxx

just to be clear to lurkers, Bastard Tetris specifically worked on bamlanivimab, which hasn't worked since omicron and is no longer authorized to be used anywhere in the US

I remember this one only because if fits into Black Betty.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Shiroc posted:

Gotta say that I strongly dislike the present moderating climate of aggressively punishing and shaming people who are or care for immunocompromised people for getting frustrated and lashing out at being called r-slurs and dangers to the forums and society on a whole for years.

i think it’s ok to call people who fantasize about doing mass shootings at Costco or commit acts of animal cruelty dangers to society, regardless of how robust their immune system or that of their loved ones are OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Delta-Wye posted:

im happy to see itt mods agree with me - people making pharmaceuticals to combat the pandemic are clearly pandemic profiteers and should be punished

*sees a worker standing over a cooler of syringes* What do we have here? Looks like somebody's hoarding vaccines!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

speng31b posted:

Do you really believe that saying mods or trolls are setting out to aggressively punish and shame immunocompromised people is a fair description of what's happening lately?

To put things very openly and directly, I think that the mods and admins have continually failed to handle things until it gets into deep frustration and escalation that builds over years.

In my brief period as IK, I had queued longer probes on dongicus, who was openly trolling the thread, calling us r-slurs, going on complete breakdowns about how we don't get enough pussy and was told that it would just escalate things to probe people beyond what the rules said. This led to me quitting when it just built up into this absurd thing with posting Mega Tard over and over and WAIST getting an avatar mocking the death of his uncle and feeling like me and Trixie were just getting tons of heat without any support.

I feel like posting a screenshot of a report and giving it 30 days or giving trashy owl a week for getting frustrated and making a couple dumb posts completely runs against the whole "disproportionate" poo poo vylekin gave me and that people in this thread keep being told we are obligated to be on our best behavior when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

I bring up the immunocompromised point because while I do think some of these posts are bad, I think given that our whole society is throwing people under the bus to die, understanding that actual people are writing these posts and showing a little loving grace to their lives would be better instead of insulting LC entries and way longer punishments than the posts can actually call for.

e:
Like this poo poo

ho fan posted:

i think it’s ok to call people who fantasize about doing mass shootings at Costco or commit acts of animal cruelty dangers to society, regardless of how robust their immune system or that of their loved ones are OP

Nobody was fantasizing mass shootings at Costco. Does anyone on the mod team actually, genuinely think that facetoucher cat's admitted psychosis and whatever actually happened in the reality of her story has *anything* to do with the covid thread now almost 3 years later?

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Aug 24, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

idk man I just went hard on the ignore list and laughed at some fuckin losers crying in SAD, I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic and my team’s prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths if not millions

I’m happy to provide advice for people to protect themselves and their loved ones, this virus is no joke and it’s going to be a mass disabling event, but forum wars on some web 1.5 website are some of the least relevant poo poo ever

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't think I ever saw that bamlbamabaln used in my hospital it's always been remdesivir

anyways, you should know that he was being facetious. there is no way bamlanivimab prevented 'hundreds of thousands of deaths'

chris christie counts as like, three people tops. you can't round up from there to 'millions' for fucks sake

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Delta-Wye posted:

gently caress yes, i love it.

i was being sarcastic anyways, seems like he was doing good work. couldn't outrun the suck and gently caress

oh I know. you were poking fun at it which lots of people have done over the years. I lolled when I read it

but people assume he worked on vaccines, punch in a report, and then it gets filled away as not needing action because of the greater context

but the person who submitted the report doesn't get that feedback. they just see yet another report sent and nothing happening

that's not on you, and god, nothing sounds worse than everyone having to put joke disclaimers in their posts. so I'm adding some context here and seeing if that helps

similarly, AnimeIsTrash's post about Prigozhin's death being caused by covid caught a report. their post was obviously poking specifically at the tendency of some people posting sick celebrities and "covid????", and that's okay. it's a joke. it doesn't mean AiT is a minimizer or troll and went unpunished. the immediate response of, no it was actually lockdowns is the same.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Just a typical day in somethingawful's most controversial thread

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it wasn't making a report that was the issue, it's equating recommending banning the regulars in this thread due to all the hosed up poo poo posted here ('vaginoplasty valor being stolen' etc.) to wishing to enact genocide. that is incredibly insane lmao

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Aug 24, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nexous posted:

this was super funny until I realized I’m going the opposite direction. I’ve given up elastomerics into growing my beard back. I still wear a Vflex, but I don’t go out into public enough to warrant the strange looks. I’m weak

So I've done several qual fit tests and you can get a honest to god real seal with a secure click with a basically arbitrarily large beard. The surface interaction between hair and silicon is just completely different than that between hair and cloth/polypropylene. I haven't done a quant test (because I don't have the materials or training to do so), so grain of salt, but elastomerics are much better with facial hair than N95s (which failed instantly every time I tested).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ho fan posted:

sure, feel free to engage with those posts if they come up anywhere. reporting them would be helpful too

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

fosborb posted:

sure, feel free to engage with those posts if they come up anywhere. reporting them would be helpful too

So, help me out here. Can you help me understand how coming in here to relitigate old drama with the obvious implication that the whole thread is responsible is not perpetuating an us vs them mentality? Is that the sort of thing that is bad and probatable or does that only apply one way?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Aug 24, 2023

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Shiroc posted:

To put things very openly and directly, I think that the mods and admins have continually failed to handle things until it gets into deep frustration and escalation that builds over years.

In my brief period as IK, I had queued longer probes on dongicus, who was openly trolling the thread, calling us r-slurs, going on complete breakdowns about how we don't get enough pussy and was told that it would just escalate things to probe people beyond what the rules said. This led to me quitting when it just built up into this absurd thing with posting Mega Tard over and over and WAIST getting an avatar mocking the death of his uncle and feeling like me and Trixie were just getting tons of heat without any support.

I feel like posting a screenshot of a report and giving it 30 days or giving trashy owl a week for getting frustrated and making a couple dumb posts completely runs against the whole "disproportionate" poo poo vylekin gave me and that people in this thread keep being told we are obligated to be on our best behavior when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

I bring up the immunocompromised point because while I do think some of these posts are bad, I think given that our whole society is throwing people under the bus to die, understanding that actual people are writing these posts and showing a little loving grace to their lives would be better instead of insulting LC entries and way longer punishments than the posts can actually call for.

e:
Like this poo poo

Nobody was fantasizing mass shootings at Costco. Does anyone on the mod team actually, genuinely think that facetoucher cat's admitted psychosis and whatever actually happened in the reality of her story has *anything* to do with the covid thread now almost 3 years later?

CPU Abuser was banned this month for wanting to buy a gun to “deal with the assholes at Costco”.

facetoucher cat posted:

They had collars with tags but there was no way I was letting them break skin on me. I will kill an animal with my bare hands if needed. Play time is over

this was from last year.

covid is still an incredibly real and serious threat, and this thread has a lot of great information in it. it also seriously negatively affects the mental health of a subset of people who post here. someone not being able to post here for a month does not prevent them from wearing a fit tested n95 respirator or better and going for a walk outside. hopefully they will realize that someone expressing criticism of their bad posts does not constitute a grand conspiracy against them

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, help me out here. Can you help me understand how coming in here to relitigate old drama with the obvious implication that the whole thread is responsible not perpetuating an us vs them mentality? Is that the sort of thing that is bad and probatable or does that only apply one way?

nothing will change until the mods have their "are we the baddies?" moment, but we know that will never happen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tulip posted:

So I've done several qual fit tests and you can get a honest to god real seal with a secure click with a basically arbitrarily large beard. The surface interaction between hair and silicon is just completely different than that between hair and cloth/polypropylene. I haven't done a quant test (because I don't have the materials or training to do so), so grain of salt, but elastomerics are much better with facial hair than N95s (which failed instantly every time I tested).

Yeah it’s stupid to insist on growing a beard when the fit of a negative‐pressure respirator is important to one’s health.

But if you’re going to do so, elastomerics are significantly less bad. You will need to tighten the straps more than you otherwise would, and this will be uncomfortable for prolonged periods of wear.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Oh, FTC was almost two years ago now, not three. That means everyone is guilty of the events that may or may not have occurred based on the CYOA of what you want to take from a deeply unreliable narrator.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I think there's a lot of bad posting from thread regulars and there's also a lot of bad posting outside of the thread from the sagas/qcs crew. I think probing thread regulars for the zealous covid acolyte posts and pearl clutching posts is good. But I also think the low effort shitposting or the drive-by bad posts that are intended to get a rise from thread regulars should also get probed. I also think it's fine if "outsiders" post in the thread earnestly and aren't just posting 100 times a day essentially posting "mad??". Good job thread, you've turned me into a pro prober

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

ho fan posted:

CPU Abuser was banned

glad you agree that the system of checks and balances we have in place is working perfectly

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ho fan posted:

it also seriously negatively affects the mental health of a subset of people who post here

I hate this poo poo

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ho fan posted:

it also seriously negatively affects the mental health of a subset of people who post here.

this type of poo poo is aids and should be nuked from orbit

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

you almost certainly contributed, yes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like SAD sprung a leak again, I need my waders

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Regarde Aduck posted:

you almost certainly contributed, yes

Hey its the cool poster who goes on unhinged rants about how we're all kulaks and we should kill ourselves if we think covid is so bad. What a great poster!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
imo i would rather this gets litigated here instead of SAD, because at least you avoid the 9999 people piling in to say "i never read the thread but if what i'm seeing here is accurate..."

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shiroc posted:

e:
Like this poo poo

Preemptive grats on the permaban.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

Does anyone on the mod team actually, genuinely think that facetoucher cat's admitted psychosis and whatever actually happened in the reality of her story has *anything* to do with the covid thread now almost 3 years later?

facetouchercat was banned last year for killing a dog not three years ago. so idk, i think the whole 'people are making up things' angle you're going for here is a bit off because lmao, you straight up insinuated someone was a pedophile because of their username being the same as an anime/manga character. so getting bent out of shape because people are saying distorted things about the covid thread after all the bans and insane posts is pretty funny to see when you take that into consideration.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
like there were people in the sad thread who thought that gxl was the one threatening to buy a gun

and there seemed to be a few who thought paxlovid was on par with horse paste

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Mekchu posted:

facetouchercat was banned last year for killing a dog not three years ago. so idk, i think the whole 'people are making up things' angle you're going for here is a bit off because lmao, you straight up insinuated someone was a pedophile because of their username being the same as an anime/manga character. so getting bent out of shape because people are saying distorted things about the covid thread after all the bans and insane posts is pretty funny to see when you take that into consideration.

That's a straight up lie. I pointed it out because I think that poster is an rear end in a top hat with extremely bad judgement in jokes, not that I think she's a pedophile.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

IMO they should investigate the gardening thread as a proximal radicalizing concern.

She never expressed concern that the dogs would give her COVID, but what if she though that they were going for her blue ribbon rutabagas?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it’s stupid to insist on growing a beard when the fit of a negative‐pressure respirator is important to one’s health.

But if you’re going to do so, elastomerics are significantly less bad. You will need to tighten the straps more than you otherwise would, and this will be uncomfortable for prolonged periods of wear.

I mean, I did 10 hours a day 5 days a week for a while. Head hair seemed to be worse - having a shaved head meant the halo was more stable and tired out my jaw less. But yeah I do sometimes find it a bit tricky to get the "right" amount of tightness, specifically for my nose.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

for every dog you don't kill, I kill three

because I am a cop and between shooting dogs and forgetting my k9 partner in the squad car on a hot day I really go through those hekkin puppers

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Facetoucher cat did nothing wrong, shameful that a bunch of sick fuckos were allowed to destroy her over a mental health crisis

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Just my take but I think it would be fine if mods here decided to take a slightly less light touch on posts that exaggerate or straight up lie about goon lore to make the thread look bad or cast general aspersions at the thread without quoting particular posts.

On the other hand I agree with vyelkin I assume that generalized trolling should be punishable but at a sort of flat rate that lets you keep the thread clean without stupid gbs crap like ramps for dumb jokes.

And finally while I understand and respect that immunocompromised and people from all walks of life post in this thread, I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised. That's not what anyone is setting out to do here, even the meanest trolls, I don't think.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

bedpan posted:

for every dog you don't kill, I kill three

because I am a cop and between shooting dogs and forgetting my k9 partner in the squad car on a hot day I really go through those hekkin puppers

thank u for ur service sir o7

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

speng31b posted:

I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised.

its incredibly dumb and bad to do, yes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

thank u for ur service sir o7

all dogs go to heaven when they are around me

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bamlanivimab sounds like it belongs in a Beach Boys song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

speng31b posted:

And finally while I understand and respect that immunocompromised and people from all walks of life post in this thread, I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised. That's not what anyone is setting out to do here, even the meanest trolls, I don't think.

They mock / question the immunocompromised status of posters ITT in their own thread.