Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Demilich posted:

Bamlanivimab sounds like it belongs in a Beach Boys song

Ram Jam, it turns out

(I had no idea there was a band named Ram Jam, wth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Still can't loving believe that poo poo is somehow COVID thread business. We're not the anti-dog thread. We don't rant and rave at each other about dogs and how dangerous they are. We didn't egg each other on until one of us went off and killed a dog like that idiot that pipebombed a cow or whatever the gently caress in the climate thread because they supposedly doomposted themselves into doing it. There was no connection to the thread except that the person happened to post it in this thread. It's such a bad faith move to even bring it up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Demilich posted:

Bamlanivimab sounds like it belongs in a Beach Boys song

barbara ann

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

who pipebombed a cow

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Phigs posted:

Still can't loving believe that poo poo is somehow COVID thread business. We're not the anti-dog thread. We don't rant and rave at each other about dogs and how dangerous they are. We didn't egg each other on until one of us went off and killed a dog like that idiot that pipebombed a cow or whatever the gently caress in the climate thread because they supposedly doomposted themselves into doing it. There was no connection to the thread except that the person happened to post it in this thread. It's such a bad faith move to even bring it up.

Exactly

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

speng31b posted:

Just my take but I think it would be fine if mods here decided to take a slightly less light touch on posts that exaggerate or straight up lie about goon lore to make the thread look bad or cast general aspersions at the thread without quoting particular posts.

On the other hand I agree with vyelkin I assume that generalized trolling should be punishable but at a sort of flat rate that lets you keep the thread clean without stupid gbs crap like ramps for dumb jokes.

And finally while I understand and respect that immunocompromised and people from all walks of life post in this thread, I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised. That's not what anyone is setting out to do here, even the meanest trolls, I don't think.

I do have personal frustration that when I was giving 6ers to dongicus, accepting vyelkin's point about not overdoing it and not doing any chaining resulted in an extremely stupid breakdowns, constant complaining about me and a pathetic SAD thread calling me out by name as some villain when I'd already given up. Even in my "meltdown" I probed 1 person who ended up being a permabanned rereg, 1 really lovely post from a "thread regular" and a handful of people I thought were being particularly assholes in the handful of posts I looked at while writing up an explanation for why I was taking a break.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Were there every any probes or even telling people to knock poo poo off when they were speculating that WAIST made up the uncle? This is a genuine question because I had completely checked out of the forums for the month that I was gone.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I do have personal frustration that when I was giving 6ers to dongicus, accepting vyelkin's point about not overdoing it and not doing any chaining resulted in an extremely stupid breakdowns, constant complaining about me and a pathetic SAD thread calling me out by name as some villain when I'd already given up. Even in my "meltdown" I probed 1 person who ended up being a permabanned rereg, 1 really lovely post from a "thread regular" and a handful of people I thought were being particularly assholes in the handful of posts I looked at while writing up an explanation for why I was taking a break.

yeah idk about all that, did vyelkin really tell you not to chain dongicus? chaining people who slightly annoy you or for no reason at all is the right of every ik

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fosborb posted:

Ram Jam, it turns out

(I had no idea there was a band named Ram Jam, wth)

...ram jam?

ram jam
news to me too lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

speng31b posted:

And finally while I understand and respect that immunocompromised and people from all walks of life post in this thread, I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised. That's not what anyone is setting out to do here, even the meanest trolls, I don't think.

the purpose of a system is what it does

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why Am I So Tired posted:

They mock / question the immunocompromised status of posters ITT in their own thread.

link it

edit - only because i've seen this same claim multiple times and yet nobody seems to name names or provide any form of proof of it happening/existing. just vague references.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Aug 24, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

speng31b posted:

yeah idk about all that, did vyelkin really tell you not to chain dongicus? chaining people who slightly annoy you or for no reason at all is the right of every ik

Vyelkin didn't tell me to not chain him, I wrote that ambiguously--I just didn't want to, but with how mad people got for me dropping 6ers for reasons like "get another bit" or "stop calling everyone r-slurs," do you think it would have gone over without blowing up in basically the exact way it did anyway? I just wanted to actually mod the thread and try to push back on some of the posting that I thought was lovely, not have to babysit a jackass and keep feeding them attention. Me and Trixie were drawing so much goddamn heat for any level of moderation at all.

Like if ST gets 30 days for her report, why could someone make that pathetic rear end SAD thread about me and go on their merry way?

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 05:40 on Aug 24, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

lumpentroll posted:

who pipebombed a cow

Actually not sure if he literally pipebombed a cow, that could be goon telephone, but the below goon was talking about it and some people were even egging him on. I read a bit of it but it was pretty crazy and he was talking in code and... yeah its weird so I checked out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=189869

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Phigs posted:

Actually not sure if he literally pipebombed a cow, that could be goon telephone, but the below goon was talking about it and some people were even egging him on. I read a bit of it but it was pretty crazy and he was talking in code and... yeah its weird so I checked out.

i hadn't seen that one play out, thats a hell of a last post. it deserves an answer:

thats the neat part, you don't

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

Like if ST gets 30 days for her report, why could someone make that pathetic rear end SAD thread about me and go on their merry way?

saying someone is advocating for genocide because they suggested people be banned off of SA after a history of a thread having insane posts is not the same thing.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Phigs posted:

lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Mekchu posted:

saying someone is advocating for genocide because they suggested people be banned off of SA after a history of a thread having insane posts is not the same thing.

Needing to tell my boss "hey FYI if people doxx me it's they got super mad that I tried to mod an internet forum" was fun to do.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Needing to tell my boss "hey FYI if people doxx me it's they got super mad that I tried to mod an internet forum" was fun to do.

It's important that you remind your boss that these people are very very normal.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Why Am I So Tired posted:

They mock / question the immunocompromised status of posters ITT in their own thread.

dude, this is the us v them stuff. you can spot it pretty easily with the "they" and "their" in the post

if you want to call out specific posts by specific people, by all means. and a report on any post anywhere in all of SA goes into the same single mod queue, if you want to report a post too

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's important that you remind your boss that these people are very very normal.

Thankfully she was aware of the forums and already is primed to defend me against people gettin' mad on account of me being very openly double gay at work.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i don't know how to feel about the idea of having a boss who also knows about the somethingawful.com forums

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i think i hate it?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

fosborb posted:

I dropped toilet paper off at a friend's house when he ran entirely out during that peak couple of weeks

what a weird loving time

We had a neighbour send their 4 year old around the block giving a toilet roll per house if they needed it. It was nice but also wtf to look down and have a small boy go 'want a roll' waving a 3 ply.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

BCR posted:

We had a neighbour send their 4 year old around the block giving a toilet roll per house if they needed it. It was nice but also wtf to look down and have a small boy go 'want a roll' waving a 3 ply.

i saw that japanese netflix show

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

what does any of that have to do with saying spanish manlove was advocating for genocide?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A report, even a bad report, which is fundamentally private, has a very different surface area than opening a SAD thread for everyone in the forums to gawk at and get rowdy about.

Nobody on the forums other than the mods would have ever seen the report if vyelkin hadn't decided to screenshot it to go "look at this rear end in a top hat."

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah i'm not a leper's colony sicko or anything, but i don't think i've seen a lot of "bad report" probes being handed out, let alone 30 day-ers

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mekchu, not as an "us vs them" thing but as in a "I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about" thing, you don't have to reply to everything I say in here. Its okay to just shut up sometimes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mola Yam posted:

i don't know how to feel about the idea of having a boss who also knows about the somethingawful.com forums

poo poo I don't even tell my boss how many siblings I have.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fosborb posted:

I dropped toilet paper off at a friend's house when he ran entirely out during that peak couple of weeks

what a weird loving time

it actually caught me off guard, the toilet paper shortage hit japan a little over a month before the US and i was about one week away from buying a new box of rolls when they disappeared from store shelves.

i suffered through paper towels for a week, but then i had this great idea and stole some rolls from the daimaru department store's ultra luxurious marble restrooms lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
iu've had too much whiskey on a thursday afternoon and i'm going to log off now goodbye

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
in case anyone else is missing the context, silicone thrills got a 1 month probe for submitting a report claiming something about genocide which then got publicly posted via the lepers colony. i had missed this because i just saw the original post and nothing else

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BCR posted:

4 years old is a bit young to send out to do that lol

there was a pizza place in my college town that did that and i think it wound up with the kid being held in place at the door while their parent who was in the car was held up at gunpoint.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Phigs posted:

Hah! But hey, if the point is "exaggerating posts for lols and drama is bad", maybe don't engage in it as well.

That guy was perma'd because you just can't even joke about something like that. Not because there is actual evidence that any cows were harmed in the making of those posts, unless I'm missing something.

But it becomes "the climate thread had a pipebomber", because that makes the story interesting and funny. All the detail you need to be accurate is boring, so goons just loving skip that poo poo. Sure, it sucks if you're on the receiving end of it.

edit, for context I should prolly link the original post. Not trying to call you out in particular, just pointing out the general poo poo we all kinda fall into.

Phigs posted:

.... like that idiot that pipebombed a cow or whatever the gently caress in the climate thread because they supposedly doomposted themselves into doing it....

Baddog has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Aug 24, 2023

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Fur20 posted:

i had this great idea and stole some rolls from the daimaru department store's ultra luxurious marble restrooms lol

Just waiting now for some Covid-thread hatereader to report this followed by more hand-wringing in SAD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plastic Pal posted:

Just waiting now for some Covid-thread hatereader to report this followed by more hand-wringing in SAD.

“Stealing is wrong.”

—Chuck Tingle, probably

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The covid thread does not endorse the extremely cool crime of robbery

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mekchu posted:

what does any of that have to do with saying spanish manlove was advocating for genocide?

what does Shirocs post have anything to do with that either? shut the gently caress up and be mad offline

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Baddog posted:

Hah! But hey, if the point is "exaggerating posts for lols and drama is bad", maybe don't engage in it as well.

That guy was perma'd because you just can't even joke about something like that. Not because there is actual evidence that any cows were harmed in the making of those posts, unless I'm missing something.

But it becomes "the climate thread had a pipebomber" because that makes the story interesting and funny. All the detail you need to be accurate is boring, so goons just loving skip that poo poo. Sure, it sucks if you're on the receiving end of it.

You for real? You think me saying

quote:

like that idiot that pipebombed a cow or whatever the gently caress in the climate thread because they supposedly doomposted themselves into doing it.

and

quote:

Actually not sure if he literally pipebombed a cow, that could be goon telephone

Is me asserting anything? Do I sound confident of the facts? Does it look like I'm going after the climate change thread?

"or whatever the gently caress" "supposedly" "actually not sure" "could be goon telephone"

I was clearly using an example I had only heard about. When it was used in SAD to justify why this thread is such a problem btw. I, however, clearly had no agenda against the climate thread when I posted it.

And I tracked down and posted the actual receipts so other people could confirm what actually happened instead of just taking my shaky word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

A report, even a bad report, which is fundamentally private, has a very different surface area than opening a SAD thread for everyone in the forums to gawk at and get rowdy about.

Nobody on the forums other than the mods would have ever seen the report if vyelkin hadn't decided to screenshot it to go "look at this rear end in a top hat."

this isn't the first time a report has been posted and shared. its never been an issue to mock bad and dumb reports, which that one is.

because, again, saying someone should be banned off of SA isn't advocating for genocide. it just isn't, and saying that sort of stuff is hosed up.

Shiroc posted:

Mekchu, not as an "us vs them" thing but as in a "I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about" thing, you don't have to reply to everything I say in here. Its okay to just shut up sometimes.

you directly responded to me with your random rear end poo poo that has nothing to do with calling 'being banned of SA' the same thing as genocide, lmao, wtf is wrong with you?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what does Shirocs post have anything to do with that either? shut the gently caress up and be mad offline

lmao @ this

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Aug 24, 2023