Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Phigs posted:

You for real? You think me saying

and

Is me asserting anything? Do I sound confident of the facts? Does it look like I'm going after the climate change thread?

"or whatever the gently caress" "supposedly" "actually not sure" "could be goon telephone"

I was clearly using an example I had only heard about. When it was used in SAD to justify why this thread is such a problem btw.

And I tracked down and posted the actual receipts so other people could confirm what actually happened instead of just taking my shaky word for it.

I gotcha. I added an edit up there a minute or so ago because I think it did sound like I was coming directly at you - "Not trying to call you out in particular, just pointing out the general poo poo we all kinda fall into."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Baddog posted:

I gotcha. I added an edit up there a minute or so ago because I think it did sound like I was coming directly at you - "Not trying to call you out in particular, just pointing out the general poo poo we all kinda fall into."

All good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mekchu, also a a person to person suggestion, you're coming to this thread like every day, at roughly the same time, which I assume means you're finishing work, school, or waking up and jumping right into reading a thread you hate to make sure you can find the previous day's best posts to reply to and go "lmao" or "you're insane" and that's just a really stupid way to spend time.

Like I'm clearly failing at it the last couple days but when I took my time off it did help me realize how much other stuff I could be doing when I wasn't reading random junk on the forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
This is the most dangerous thread on SA. People come here for the cruelty to minorities and calls for genocide against primary care doctors, but they stay for the helpful guides on nasal irrigation.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like anyone else on the forums i'm here to goof off, so you can calm down with armchair psychoanalyst bit. its creepy and gross.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phigs posted:

All good.

Another COVID success story!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomBlue posted:

Another COVID success story!

mazeltov!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There was a reasonable stretch of posting about COVID until about a couple of pages ago and I'd like to get back to that and avoid relitigating drama from months ago unless it's really incredibly relevant to the present. To that end:

Shiroc posted:

In my brief period as IK, I had queued longer probes on dongicus, who was openly trolling the thread, calling us r-slurs, going on complete breakdowns about how we don't get enough pussy and was told that it would just escalate things to probe people beyond what the rules said. This led to me quitting when it just built up into this absurd thing with posting Mega Tard over and over and WAIST getting an avatar mocking the death of his uncle and feeling like me and Trixie were just getting tons of heat without any support.

I'm sorry if you have lingering resentment over your time as IK, but I don't really know what can be done about that.

Dongicus hasn't posted here since the reboot a week ago. If they begin to spam the thread relentlessly again, or post anything gross or rulebreaking, I'll do something about it.

Shiroc posted:

I feel like posting a screenshot of a report and giving it 30 days or giving trashy owl a week for getting frustrated and making a couple dumb posts completely runs against the whole "disproportionate" poo poo vylekin gave me and that people in this thread keep being told we are obligated to be on our best behavior when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

I bring up the immunocompromised point because while I do think some of these posts are bad, I think given that our whole society is throwing people under the bus to die, understanding that actual people are writing these posts and showing a little loving grace to their lives would be better instead of insulting LC entries and way longer punishments than the posts can actually call for.

Look, silicone thrills was mostly posting reasonably until then, but claiming someone wants to genocide immunocomprised people by closing a thread is ludicrous, in a report or otherwise. It could have even been a funny and much more accurate point had it said "lockdown" instead of genocide. Lashing out at the wrong poster for posting a fairly innocuous video game screenshot is also not typical posting. You can argue about the severity of the punishments and mitigating factors or whatever else but they were not dismissable incidents, let alone valuable valuable contributions.

Now about current issues:

- are there posters who want this thread gassed? Sure, you can find comments like that in SAD, the forum dedicated to posting feedback of that nature.
- are there brigading outsider trolls running amok in this thread since it was rebooted? Not really. There was certainly an uptick in reports when the SAD thread was reopened, but very few people actually came here to post, and I don't think any stayed. Not that it really matters, since nobody needs permission to post here.
- are there shitloads of reports? Yes, they and they are no more interesting to litigate than to read in context. Too bad for forums janitors, but I have a hard time believing that many people actually enjoy these extended slapfights.
- does this thread need special protections due to handling a sensitive topic? I think it already gets more than the average C-SPAM thread. Demanding that emptyquotes or lol/lmaos stop is not going to happen, though. Again, ignore posters if you find them that annoying, and report judiciously.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

So speculation about celebrities/performances getting stomped by COVID is bad, but apparently both Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford got knocked out of the production of Sweeney Todd on Broadway by catching confirmed COVID. Since Broadway functions with understudies for robustness and the show did not need to be cancelled, I guess there's no need for anyone to be coy about the cause. Did a little bit of faffing around to see, okay, is this normal?

I concluded no, it isn't normal...because apparently performers are ABSOLUTELY DEDICATED to performing while sick if at all possible! Take this beforetimes article: The Secrets to How Broadway Stars Power Through Colds, Flu and Fatigue. Or this ad riddled clickbait: What should Singers/Performers do when they have a Cold on Stage?, where it talks about testing for COVID and if it's not COVID it's a green light to just push through it with the implication that COVID is a no go zone even if its acute effects are just like those other things. It feels like people are a lot more willing to bow out if the illness can be traced to COVID compared to other illnesses, granted this is just a cursory exploration and I imagine now that we're back to "normal" COVID might join the stable of diseases performers are just supposed to power through soon, assuming they can.

I did find one message board thread talking about a 2013 performance so decimated by flu it had to be cancelled and at one point had somebody who wasn't even an understudy taking a main part--apparently 2013 was a bad flu year.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a good laugh: Some guy says that if your baseball coach demands you cut your hair short and have no facial hair, for no particular reason, you must conform. Then looking in replies, someone makes a comparison to mask mandates, and the OP replies "naw dawg...any person using the reasonable person standard can do an ounce of research on the effectiveness of masks and realize...they're not useful and actually dangerous."

Man, sometimes I wish I had the ability to turn off my brain like this, then I think about what the long-term consequences of being that dumb would be.

https://twitter.com/nextlevelbb/status/1694381140604326121

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

this is unrelated but once i thought to myself "lol this avatar looks like it's a guy jerking his dick off, just absolutely going to town on that fuckin thing and LOVING every second of it" now i can't un-see it anymore

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DominoKitten posted:

So speculation about celebrities/performances getting stomped by COVID is bad, but apparently both Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford got knocked out of the production of Sweeney Todd on Broadway by catching confirmed COVID. Since Broadway functions with understudies for robustness and the show did not need to be cancelled, I guess there's no need for anyone to be coy about the cause. Did a little bit of faffing around to see, okay, is this normal?

I concluded no, it isn't normal...because apparently performers are ABSOLUTELY DEDICATED to performing while sick if at all possible! Take this beforetimes article: The Secrets to How Broadway Stars Power Through Colds, Flu and Fatigue. Or this ad riddled clickbait: What should Singers/Performers do when they have a Cold on Stage?, where it talks about testing for COVID and if it's not COVID it's a green light to just push through it with the implication that COVID is a no go zone even if its acute effects are just like those other things. It feels like people are a lot more willing to bow out if the illness can be traced to COVID compared to other illnesses, granted this is just a cursory exploration and I imagine now that we're back to "normal" COVID might join the stable of diseases performers are just supposed to power through soon, assuming they can.

I did find one message board thread talking about a 2013 performance so decimated by flu it had to be cancelled and at one point had somebody who wasn't even an understudy taking a main part--apparently 2013 was a bad flu year.

i know in the korean music scene (in the more corporate ran side of things as opposed to indie stuff) artists are more or less expected to perform without much concern towards the illness (eg. cold), unless its contagious or impacts their performance a good deal.

they have been canceling concerts or removing specific members from a show due to covid while also having the rest of the group perform thanks to covid though, but not much from what i can glean.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 07:33 on Aug 24, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

His five days are up and he's back baby https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Josh-Groban-Sets-Return-To-SWEENEY-TODD-Following-Bout-With-Covid-19-20230823

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230823001452320?section=search

S. Korea to downgrade COVID-19 infection level to lowest like seasonal flu

quote:

South Korea will lower the infection level of COVID-19 to the lowest category to manage the disease like seasonal flu, lifting nearly all antivirus curbs and fully returning to pre-pandemic normalcy, health authorities said Wednesday.

The move came as the number of COVID-19 infections dropped for the first time in nearly two months last week.

The country reported a daily average of 40,400 new infections for the week of Aug. 15-21, down 17.7 percent from 49,000 a week earlier, snapping seven consecutive weeks of growth.

"The spread of COVID-19, which started in the fourth week of June, has recently slowed down and turned into a decline, and the overall quarantine situation has been stabilized," Jee Young-mee, commissioner of the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA), said in a government meeting.

"It's time to shift our focus from counting daily cases to protecting high-risk populations," she said. "The government will change the COVID-19 infection level from Class 2 to Class 4 and manage it within the general health care system."

The measure, aimed at implementing a full transition to a normal state for the medical system, will take effect on Aug. 31, she added.

On Thursday, the government will discontinue the daily tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases, which has been in place since the outbreak of the pandemic.

But the mask mandate will remain at hospitals and nursing homes as a measure of protection for those vulnerable to the coronavirus, the KDCA said.

On top of that, the government said it will cover part of the hospitalization costs of seriously ill patients through the end of this year and provide vaccines and treatments free of charge to minimize the burden on the public.

Class 4 diseases, the lowest of the country's infection level, which include influenza and hand, foot and mouth disease, require specimen-based surveillance.

Patients infected with Class 2 diseases, like tuberculosis, measles and cholera, are isolated by health authorities.

COVID-19 was categorized as Class 1 in January 2020 and lowered to the second level in April last year.

edit - for reference, the population in south korea is ~52 million people

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Aug 24, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Good thing that five day isolation period is following the science and *touches earpiece*

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/eclinm/PIIS2589-5370(23)00235-3.pdf

Seems like something they should run higher quality studies on, welp cya

e: ofc they should also do a high quality RCT on different isolation protocols' effect on airline ceos getting really sad, don't want to exclude the possibility of bias in that critical domain

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Aug 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m starting to think that these airline CEOs might be pieces of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1472016822639677450

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

eXXon posted:

Look, silicone thrills was mostly posting reasonably until then, but claiming someone wants to genocide immunocomprised people by closing a thread is ludicrous, in a report or otherwise. It could have even been a funny and much more accurate point had it said "lockdown" instead of genocide. Lashing out at the wrong poster for posting a fairly innocuous video game screenshot is also not typical posting. You can argue about the severity of the punishments and mitigating factors or whatever else but they were not dismissable incidents, let alone valuable valuable contributions.

The probe to the poster is complete bullshit, and should have been a sixer at most.

making GBS threads on Spanish Manlove posts in whatever fashion is simply good forums etiquette.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mekchu posted:

like anyone else on the forums i'm here to goof off, so you can calm down with armchair psychoanalyst bit. its creepy and gross.

you lied about Shiroc making a false pedophilia accusation? creepy dude...

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I’m starting to think that these airline CEOs might be pieces of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1472016822639677450

I think they're sick fucks

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Shiroc posted:

Mekchu, also a a person to person suggestion, you're coming to this thread like every day, at roughly the same time, which I assume means you're finishing work, school, or waking up and jumping right into reading a thread you hate to make sure you can find the previous day's best posts to reply to and go "lmao" or "you're insane" and that's just a really stupid way to spend time.

Like I'm clearly failing at it the last couple days but when I took my time off it did help me realize how much other stuff I could be doing when I wasn't reading random junk on the forums.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

finally, a breath of fresh air

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fur20 posted:

it actually caught me off guard, the toilet paper shortage hit japan a little over a month before the US and i was about one week away from buying a new box of rolls when they disappeared from store shelves.

i suffered through paper towels for a week, but then i had this great idea and stole some rolls from the daimaru department store's ultra luxurious marble restrooms lol

wtf, I thought Japan had fully specced into bidets?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not everywhere, no.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shiroc posted:

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

covid seems over ?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

its over

palindrome has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Aug 24, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

picked up friend from airport

gave her a vflex to put on before she got in my car

drove her home with windows open

since she can’t get pax I bought her a neilmed bottle. she said she struggled with a neti pot before so if neilmed doesn’t work maybe I’ll drop a bottle of Enovid at her place
based

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

I never would have guessed that that’s what it took.
saw some twitter thread about it but can't find it at the moment but lol they're already peddling the streaming/bluray/whatever in the next month or so when there is so much more :homebrew: to be made on the theatrical release, oh well snake eating itself etc. hope it's good for lessening covid in theaters

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epitope posted:

In grad school we joked that "virologists get excited when terrible stuff happens" but that is academia where everyone pretends to not be a part of capitalism

it's very funny to point out to academics that in order for academia to exist, someone has to labor to grow the food. you can't just do math in a vacuum.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

captainbananas posted:

The probe to the poster is complete bullshit, and should have been a sixer at most.

making GBS threads on Spanish Manlove posts in whatever fashion is simply good forums etiquette.

Not
an emptyquote.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

Horseshoe theory of public health:

Edit: HICPAC being the other arm of the shoe.
lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zantie posted:

Washington state's weekly update, cobbled together from the state's excel reports Cumulative Counts and EpiCurve Counts.

Recent Hospitalizations
Hospitalizations of Washington state residents dated by week of first admission due to confirmed or probable COVID-19.

pre:
Hosp.      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Aug 20            -        -        -        -       + 56          56
Aug 13            -        -        -       43      + 179         222
Aug 06            -        -       49      147       + 10         206
Jul 30            -       35      123       18        + 9         185
Jul 23           40      103       17        1        + 3         164
All Older       109       28        5        6       + 11          
Recent Deaths
Deaths due to confirmed/suspected COVID-19 are dated week of death.

pre:
Deaths*    Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 20            -        -        -        -        + 2           2
Aug 13            -        -        -        -       + 18          18
Aug 06            -        -        -        8        + 8          16
Jul 30            -        -        9        6        + 0          15
Jul 23            -        4        5        2        + 0          11
All Older        12        4        1        1        + 2         
And now for the least useful metric...

Recent Cases (Molecular + Antigen)
Cases are dated as first specimen date of either PCR or antigen test unless greater than 90 days since previous positive, then it is considered a reinfection.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 20            -        -        -        -      + 878         878
Aug 13            -        -        -      405    + 2,304       2,709
Aug 06            -        -      610    1,619      + 128       2,357
Jul 30            -      575    1,522       60       + 32       2,189
Jul 23          413    1,246       43       12       + 12       1,726
All Older     1,044       68       28    1,517       + 21          
:tif:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

it's very funny to point out to academics that in order for academia to exist, someone has to labor to grow the food. you can't just do math in a vacuum.

skill issue

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1694210288159953330

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Thankfully she was aware of the forums

:kstare:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
doing a bit of cleanup. if there’s anyone in portland suburbs or near cannon beach i’ve got an excess of some n95 and adjacent masks if you want them. no cost or anything. if there’s nobody nearby that claims them in about a week i can mail them out to whoever thinks it’s a good idea to give out an address

BNX model F95B (black N95) - tried a couple, don’t fit. pack is open, they aren’t individually wrapped. 8 ish. comes with external metal nose bridge strips that someone in the last thread recommended

Xiantao Zhong Yi model ZYB-11 - no idea how or where i got these. cup style white, guessing n95. i not individually wrapped, plastic open, about 10. if these are trash, and i’m not sure they aren’t, i’ll pitch em.

Powecom KN95 model GB2626-2019 - guessing these are from 2019. not individually wrapped, white, about half a dozen

4 Flo mask Pro replacement filters and 5 everyday replacement filters. individually wrapped. just the filters, no other parts of the mask kit. adult size.

Gerson 3230 N95 model TC-84A-9285 - about a half dozen white duckbill masks. individually wrapped, have a kinda loosey goosey headband thing, don’t fit my fat head. also not sure where they came from or if they’rea reputable brand

3M Vflex 9105 - about a dozen, not individually wrapped, pack has been opened. not sure how old they are, lot # is A221101419501, ordered from a 3M partner listed on their site

Avery Dennison N95 sticky strapless masks - yellow. not individually wrapped, 8.00 x 6.25 inch size, model # 58460ADMN1906L lot # M0803601 from 8/27/2022. i figure if enough different people want these i can split them out, there’s around 35 of em (work OK ime but i don’t do a lot of stuff i couldn’t just use other masks for)

3M 8293 P100 - disposable P100. individually wrapped. it came really puffed up with air inside, but that’s no longer the case. haven’t opened it but i assume it’s not like clinically sterile or whatever that air might have been doing. only one of these

LG Airwasher black KF94 - large size, individually wrapped, 8 total. looks like they expire in roughly june 2025? i can see the year but month/day is blurry.

BOTN KF94 - black, size medium, 4 or 5, individually wrapped. expire Feb 2026. lot # is probably BBCE92201

2 sealed vials of Allegro Industries Bitter Fit Test Solution - 2 needed per test, so one test worth. Lot # 012622-0292 expire 1/26/27

finally since my partner settled on a different mask right after i got the big box on sale: handfuls of individually sealed 3M 9210 (white stretchy band aura). these are normally what i use so i’ll keep a pile of them but this was from that fischer sci deal a little while ago. idr how many total that was. they’re loose in a big box, not the 20 to a box style that 3M ships but iirc we found that these were legitimate last time, let me know where to find a lot number on these and i can provide it if needed

uh i think that’s it. outside of those cup n95 from unknown location, i’ve tried all of these and they seem fine or whatever, just hard too beat the aura for me. hopefully someone can make better use of them than just having them sit in storage like i’ve been. feel free to PM either of i should take this down or whatever or if you don’t feel comfortable asking for more info or whatever itt

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
something i would really like for this thread is if more non-regulars read it for whatever reason and realize / can act on what the actual public health recommendation guidelines are. i think when i link people to treatingcovid.info — which is basically linked to/from the NIH 400+ page canonical clinical guidelines — they're often surprised by

1) how many people should be taking antivirals under the current guidelines vs how many actually are
2) how many people are dying right who qualified for antivirals and should have taken them but did not for many reasons that amount to a failure of public health institutions in the broadest terms
3) given 1/2, it might make sense to adopt more cautious behavior for oneself and for the broader public, regardless of the research on how cov2 is qualitatively different from other viruses

that last thing is where I think this thread, and me personally, have the hardest time navigating, because in fairness so are the fields of virology, immunology, and public health, as best as I can tell. It does seem to me to be worth asking the question, as vincent often does on twiv: well, do other viruses cause post-acute sequelae? is there long flu? and if the answer is yes (which seems to be true), what lesson do you then take from that? is it that we should accept the pre-2020 status quo re: flu, or that one might also want to modify behavior to more aggressively avoid/treat flu? that just feels like it splits down based on personal risk aversion and political differences — and connecting both of those is bound to generate conflicts, on dead comedy forums and otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I mean yeah, how many other EB style delayed actions bombs are there out there?

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Aug 24, 2023