Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baddog posted:

-"wear a mask" at the top of their email instructions was very dated, lol. I was the only one.

Speaking of things being dated, I had to visit an office earlier today and their sign-in sheet had tick boxes for people to attest that they did not have cold symptoms or had recently tested positive for covid. I was also the only person in the entire building wearing a mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lol

The Oldest Man posted:

Actually it was lockdowns

e: which covid thread regular is putin???

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Epitope posted:

I'm not great at this either, I did shave today and am wearing and N95. Even if I was elestomer crew or papr or whatever, it's still not great to have a cloud next to me, ya? And I'm not just worried about myself, I'm worried about the others here, but I can't make them care.

correct, also thank you for being considerate

The Oldest Man posted:

e: which covid thread regular is putin???

mawarannahr and him getting banned finally pushed him over the edge!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

mawarannahr and him getting banned finally pushed him over the edge!!

:hmmrona:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

icantfindaname posted:

I’m taking nattokinase for chest pain and this stuff smells rancid, I can only imagine what actual natto is like

You get sweet soy sauce and spicy mustard with the real stuff and that helps a lot.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

vaxxed?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With actual natto, the texture is more of a barrier than the taste, IMO. It's pretty good with a raw egg mixed into it but we can't do that in America since our eggs are hosed.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lib and let die posted:

you could say the same thing about succ zone a year or two ago, and in retrospect there was a valid criticism that we would spend way too much time winding ourselves up over posts we didn't have to read,

:thunk:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pre-existing conditions

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of the people at the thing I was at on Monday said they just tested positive and I'm feeling very good about my dreaded outdoor masking since we were all getting right up in each others faces.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I thought we weren't even allowed to make the vaxxed or was it covid jokes.

Rules for me but not for thee

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Day 2. Kid is still the only one sick so far. Symptoms worsened a bit today - still mostly just congestion and vaguely unwell. She is now positive on a RAT. Managed to swing WFH this whole week , but not a lot I can do for her, so I continue to post too much on the forums in between playing dad nurse and work.

There's not a whole lot she can do / take, pax is out because she's too tiny - so it's just like, cold meds, fluids, comfort, lol. She's isolated / resting in her room and it's set up negative pressure(via a fan pointed out the window), so there's a chance not everyone gets it.

We're testing mom every day now via RAT and if she shows symptoms but is negative we'll use the last Lucira - if she pops positive we are to start pax. I'm a little squirrely about that given the failure mode of the luciras and the risk profile of pax, but that's what her docs say.

I think he's going to get off that second plane dressed like Borat and my soul is going to leave my body.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I'm proud to post in somethingawful's most controversial thread

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fansy posted:

I'm proud to post in somethingawful's most controversial thread

the controversial stance of "We want less people to become disabled because various world governments poo poo the bed so hard on public health"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

vg chat, the path of exile new player experience summed up (timestamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0cDrN9_qo&t=172s

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Celebs encouraging voting for Biden: "of course, most important election in history"

Celebs encouraging masking: "this is indicative of nothing, 'increase' could mean anything, Applebee's calls unto me and I am enthralled by half-off appetizers, you are certifiably insane if you disagree"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Bastard Tetris posted:

idk man I just went hard on the ignore list and laughed at some fuckin losers crying in SAD, I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic and my team’s prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths if not millions

I’m happy to provide advice for people to protect themselves and their loved ones, this virus is no joke and it’s going to be a mass disabling event, but forum wars on some web 1.5 website are some of the least relevant poo poo ever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

normal as hell thread

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
a meltdown a day keeps covid away

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Pharma: where lives saved is a distant second to dollars earned.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic and my team’s prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths if not millions

maybe if your poo poo still worked you could make a few million more

edit: dollars, not deaths

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

making millions stopping covid and yet covid isnt over... curious

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In grad school we joked that "virologists get excited when terrible stuff happens" but that is academia where everyone pretends to not be a part of capitalism

salient
Jan 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/scottburrisphlr/status/1694306742375506054 https://twitter.com/laudyaron/status/1694231377753891202 https://twitter.com/rachanadpradhan/status/1694341674716250426

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Horseshoe theory of public health:

Edit: HICPAC being the other arm of the shoe.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Aug 23, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol at the thread title

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Epitope posted:

In grad school we joked that "virologists get excited when terrible stuff happens" but that is academia where everyone pretends to not be a part of capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJsYXHCJD54

every evolution of this damned thing fascinates me.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pingui posted:

lol it’s mild and even if it’s not mild there’s nothing you can do just enjoy the loving Applebees why don’t you

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Edit: HICPAC being the other arm of the shoe.

This guy has a better CV than most of the people who are actually on HICPAC lol

quote:

Joel M. Zinberg, M.D., J.D. is a senior fellow with the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the Director of the Public Health and American Well-Being Initiative at Paragon Health Institute. He is a native New Yorker who recently completed two years as General Counsel and Senior Economist at the Council of Economic Advisers in the Executive Office of the President. He practiced general and oncologic surgery in New York for nearly 30 years at the Mount Sinai Hospital and Icahn School of Medicine where he is an Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery. He has been involved with health policy issues and the interaction between law and medicine for his entire career. Dr. Zinberg taught for 10 years at the Columbia University Law School as a Lecturer in Law where he created a course on the legal, policy and ethical issues surrounding organ transplantation. He served for many years on the New York State Board of Professional Medical Conduct and on Mount Sinai’s Ethics Committee and Institutional Review Board. He is past President and Trustee of the New York County Medical Society. Between 2015 and 2017 he was a Visiting Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just in case anyone knows someone in the Halifax area with the brain fog version of PASC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-researcher-seeks-covid-19-long-haulers-1.6940414 posted:

Halifax researcher seeks COVID-19 long haulers to study effects of virus on brain
Study hopes to track changes in the brain over two-year time frame
(..)
The team plans to take MRI brain scans of people who have been infected with the virus in the last six months and are now living with long COVID and specifically symptoms of foggy thinking.

"We have functional imaging that basically measures the brain activity. So we can analyze the pattern of brain activity and then compare that to healthy controls. And in that way, we can see if there is any parts of the brain that are working differently."

They will check on participants over a two-year time frame, and are looking for at least 50 people to participate. In total, the research group would like to analyze hundreds.

Each person would also go through a battery of computer tasks that test their memory to see whether long COVID has impaired their brain function.

Hernandez is keen to explore how the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls coordination, language fluency and memory, is affected by long COVID.

"There are many different studies going on around the brain and COVID-19.… The concern is would it sort of cause more neuro-degenerative issues of the brain, we can't really answer that right now, but there are many studies going on," said Dr. Angela Cheung, a senior physician scientist at University Health Network in Toronto who has done extensive work looking into the long-term effects of COVID-19.
(..)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

VomitOnLino posted:

If you take your aranet to bits it should look like this:

If the sensor looks anything like the below it's a cheap trash knockoff. Basically a large portion of the cost of good CO2 monitors is the sensor. The cheaper ones use a sort of analog gas sensor and it sucks since it's affected by humidity and other factors. But it is also a LOT cheaper - hence many go this route.

this is fascinating. are there issues with aranet fakes? that's the kind of thing that seems so niche I never would have expected it

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Competitive Enterprise Institute? Computer, enhance:

wikipedia posted:

The Competitive Enterprise Institute is a non-profit libertarian think tank founded by the political writer Fred L. Smith Jr. on March 9, 1984, in Washington, D.C., to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of things being dated, I had to visit an office earlier today and their sign-in sheet had tick boxes for people to attest that they did not have cold symptoms or had recently tested positive for covid. I was also the only person in the entire building wearing a mask

Went to a walk-in yesterday and they still had the sign saying "LET OUR STAFF KNOW IF YOU HAVE A COUGH AND HAVE TRAVELLED RECENTLY"

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Chamale posted:

Went to a walk-in yesterday and they still had the sign saying "LET OUR STAFF KNOW IF YOU HAVE A COUGH AND HAVE TRAVELLED RECENTLY"

too much Covid fatigue to remove the outdated signs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buffer posted:

Competitive Enterprise Institute? Computer, enhance:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

nexous posted: