Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Petey posted:

is there long flu? and if the answer is yes (which seems to be true), what lesson do you then take from that? is it that we should accept the pre-2020 status quo re: flu, or that one might also want to modify behavior to more aggressively avoid/treat flu? that just feels like it splits down based on personal risk aversion and political differences — and connecting both of those is bound to generate conflicts, on dead comedy forums and otherwise.

this question kinda falls apart though when you observe the difference in R-sub-eff between the two diseases. Some people have caught covid more times in 3.75 years than anyone will ever catch the flu. Given how much higher the conditional odds of infection are with SARS-2 compared to flu, there isn't a comparative status quo to return to. Pre-2020 policies in a post-2020 world are not sustainable on a material basis, irrespective of what anyone thinks or hopes.

Not that you don't know that, Petey, but more that that's not the right question to bother asking/debating/answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Sorry that I referenced three whole months ago where "Mega Tard" was the rallying cry of the dumbest assholes on the forums.

:sam:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

StratGoatCom posted:

I mean yeah, how many other EB style delayed actions bombs are there out there?

right, i mean i think covid has distracted the broader public from realizing that "haha mono the kissing disease" causes MS (in a minority of cases, but the same was true for polio and paralysis), but also, how do you even metabolize that knowledge? what do we as a society do about it?

captainbananas — appreciate your corrective, and i guess that was something i was trying (ineffectually) to get at too. there's a shift in material conditions and also epistemic conditions (per above).

and technically it's genuinely unclear to me if the observed high rate of evolution in cov2 — i think bedford said 2.5x mutation rate of flu, previously the baseline for "virus that mutates really fast" — is a temporary phenomenon or an indefinite one. i emailed twiv about that last week, because it seems like an open immunological question that i, at least, have not seen anything published about.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dongicus posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That guy has cool socks

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

StratGoatCom posted:

I mean yeah, how many other EB style delayed actions bombs are there out there?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out in 5-10 years that like nearly every auto-immune disease has at least a suspected viral component.

Arteriosclerosis winds up being caused by like the common cold activating an immune response to a HERV from a prior coronavirus.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shiroc posted:

Needing to tell my boss "hey FYI if people doxx me it's they got super mad that I tried to mod an internet forum" was fun to do.

Shiroc posted:

Thankfully she was aware of the forums and already is primed to defend me against people gettin' mad on account of me being very openly double gay at work.

???

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Petey posted:

right, i mean i think covid has distracted the broader public from realizing that "haha mono the kissing disease" causes MS (in a minority of cases, but the same was true for polio and paralysis), but also, how do you even metabolize that knowledge? what do we as a society do about it?

captainbananas — appreciate your corrective, and i guess that was something i was trying (ineffectually) to get at too. there's a shift in material conditions and also epistemic conditions (per above).

:cheers:

Petey posted:

and technically it's genuinely unclear to me if the observed high rate of evolution in cov2 — i think bedford said 2.5x mutation rate of flu, previously the baseline for "virus that mutates really fast" — is a temporary phenomenon or an indefinite one. i emailed twiv about that last week, because it seems like an open immunological question that i, at least, have not seen anything published about.

forecasting is a cool way to look stupid to people from the future, but peep this:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-023-00878-2

The last paragraph of the article posted:

We have learned a great deal by studying the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 since its emergence in humans, and we can certainly make well-educated guesses about what is likely or unlikely to happen next, but the highly multifactorial and stochastic nature of the process will always keep the future evolutionary trajectory of the virus essentially unknown in many of its crucial details. Meanwhile, focusing on the epidemiology of the pathogen, it is important to bear in mind that the transition from a pandemic to future endemic existence of SARS-CoV-2 is likely to be long and erratic, rather than a short and distinct switch, and that endemic SARS-CoV-2 is by far not a synonym for safe infections, mild COVID-19 or a low population mortality and morbidity burden.

I think it's open access but if anyone wants to read it but can't access it PM me, etc.

salient
Jan 2, 2021

quote:

https://www.whas11.com/article/news...78-090e83409e66

Indiana hospital notifies hundreds of patients they may have been exposed to tuberculosis bacteria

Clark Memorial Health had a “significant exposure” and has notified about 500 patients by letter that they were potentially exposed to TB at the hospital.

A southern Indiana hospital where an employee recently tested positive for tuberculosis has notified hundreds of patients that they may have been exposed to the bacteria that causes the illness. Clark County Health Officer Dr. Eric Yazel said Clark Memorial Health had a “significant exposure” and has notified about 500 patients by letter that they were potentially exposed to TB at the hospital.

worth noting hospitals in indiana dropped annual TB testing for employees years ago because the cdc no longer deems it necessary

salient has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Aug 24, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

why are you people telling your boss about your posting on the something awful dot com forums???

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

biceps crimes posted:

why are you people telling your boss about your posting on the something awful dot com forums???

so the boss knows what’s up when you get doxxed, in the example

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mekchu posted:

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230823001452320?section=search

S. Korea to downgrade COVID-19 infection level to lowest like seasonal flu

edit - for reference, the population in south korea is ~52 million people

Japan did the same thing a bit back, so South Korea have had a good opportunity to see the consequences well in advance. The public health economists smartly concluded that it would be a net good for the economy.

When you or I look at this graph, we will of course only think of the human consequences. A pervasive and wrong-headed way to think. So let me lay out the lie. This is the graph:

BUT THIS DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE ECONOMY! Like complete sociopaths you and I are not considering the long-term consequences of a continued lockdown!

What the graph doesn't even consider is that most of the people hospitalized are old and/or frail and hardly contribute to the economy.

So maybe we should all be a bit better.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

biceps crimes posted:

If you had my posting, you would also want to tell your boss. Skill issue :smug:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

tuyop posted:

so the boss knows what’s up when you get doxxed, in the example

did the covid IKs get doxxed?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

To be clear, people making fun of your posts or moderating decisions is not doxxing. People quoting your posts as SYQ is not doxxing. Yes, having people quote your posts and make fun of you doesn't feel good, but just because it doesn't feel good doesn't mean you are being doxxed. People here and on the QCS/SAD side both need to stop catastrophizing and making poo poo up

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

biceps crimes posted:

I did when I got doxxed, it felt appropriate given my unashamedly :d2a: posting and openness about who I work for.

My union steward just laughed and said I wouldn't be the first and won't be the last that someone tried to get in trouble over Internet politics slap fights and we have protections against getting disciplined over social media posts in our contract even if someone can put a name and a face to my posts.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I did when I got doxxed, it felt appropriate given my unashamedly :d2a: posting and openness about who I work for.

My union steward just laughed and said I wouldn't be the first and won't be the last that someone tried to get in trouble over Internet politics slap fights and we have protections against getting disciplined over social media posts in our contract even if someone can put a name and a face to my posts.

but you were actually doxxed, weren't you? you weren't imagining that you were going to be doxxed because people were making fun of your posts?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

biceps crimes posted:

did the covid IKs get doxxed?

you’d have to ask Shiroc what happened to her, my own broken brain is kind of preventing me from keeping all this straight, but that’s the answer to:

biceps crimes posted:

and I hope this helps clarify the motivations for you

personally, I have not told my boss that I post on the somethingawful.com forums if that helps as well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yep, and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities for Shiroc to have been doxxed by kiwifarms-like freaks in addition to having her bad posts quoted and mocked

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Apologies if I'm aggro posting and am uninformed, I just think doxxing is a really serious matter, and I don't have that event in my catalog of COVID thread history, and couldn't find anything by searching either

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'd bet good money its reference to some kiwifarms type poo poo and you should probably drop the subject.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

Apologies if I'm aggro posting and am uninformed, I just think doxxing is a really serious matter, and I don't have that event in my catalog of COVID thread history, and couldn't find anything by searching either

I don't think anyone claimed that that happened?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Snoo and a couple other people were driven off the forums by *dark forces* I suspect were kiwifarms freaks. Or Iron Crowned.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Phigs posted:

I'd bet good money its reference to some kiwifarms type poo poo and you should probably drop the subject.

it reads as if the QCS/SAD slapfight with this thread resulted in doxxing because of the moderating decisions in the COVID thread. I'll drop the subject when I want to or when I eat a probe for it, thanks though.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

biceps crimes posted:

it reads as if the QCS/SAD slapfight with this thread resulted in doxxing because of the moderating decisions in the COVID thread. I'll drop the subject when I want to or when I eat a probe for it, thanks though.

Potentially as opposed to actually. It isn't unreasonable to tell your boss in advance, if you think you might get doxxed stalked (I think is the proper word in this context).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Buffer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out in 5-10 years that like nearly every auto-immune disease has at least a suspected viral component.

Arteriosclerosis winds up being caused by like the common cold activating an immune response to a HERV from a prior coronavirus.

viruses seem to be ubiquitous and have really complicated effects on our systems. our gut biome is like that too, right? seems pretty reasonable to conclude that the viral ecology we encounter is having some kind of impact!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

economically endemic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I checked out of this and all related threads quite a while ago because it was clear to me that COVID had become an ongoing constant tragedy, and, while I wear seatbelts and also listen to local traffic advisories, I don't follow the whole gamut of national car deaths and maimings on a day to day basis because it would be too depressing and of little utility value, more or less.

So, we've continued to be, I suppose, more cautious than almost anyone else we know, less cautious than optimal, and much of the latter triggered by pragmatic concerns like "we want our kid to be in childcare and once she's there it's really beyond our ability to enforce masking beyond what the facility can/will do at this point, which is not much". We've basically been in that holding pattern for 18 months, I guess? We got sick a whole bunch last year, we ran through a bunch of RATs and PCRs, as far as I know, we never had COVID.

I am sticking my head up now because our older kid, who is about to enter 1st grade, has made a pretty good friend and their parents just had a conversation with me along the lines of "FYI our kid has long COVID, smell is hosed up, balance problems, and we still have them generally mask indoors because we believe the risk of repeat infection for them is substantially worse than for the general public...".

I feel terrible for them and their kid, scared for ours generally, and in hindsight even more livid at the dumbshit motherfuckers who told me back in 2020 that this kind of scenario was extremely unlikely and not worth worrying about. Even if our kids somehow manage to thread a needle of not getting COVID in a way that fucks them up in ways we know about, she didn't even make it to the beginning of 1st grade (in a school w/class sizes so small that some grades are combined) without knowing a kid that's got maybe-permanent vestibular problems as a direct result of COVID.

I don't know how "avoidable" anything was or wasn't, given the "realities of the capitalist landscape", and I don't want to litigate that. I just wanted to scream into the void about this somewhere that I wouldn't feel like a psychopath extremist, and I know if anything I am pretty Open Biden at this point compared to what I remember of this thread (and my use of "Open Biden" may well date me as a 2021 poster, no idea).

Everyone stay as safe as you can out there, it's still plague world and it's still true that no one gives a gently caress about you from a federal, state or policy level. Hold your head up, form alliances with like minded people, and ignore the brayings anyone that's dangerously misaligned with you for as long as possible (while still respecting the danger they pose and keeping a cautious eye on what they are doing, of course).

I need to get in touch with the school board stat about building corsis for the classrooms this year; slept on that too long.

tuyop posted:

personally, I have not told my boss that I post on the somethingawful.com forums if that helps as well.

my last supervisor had an account here and had already read all my posts about maple and weed and bullshit before I started. I am pretty sure my current skiplevel has one of the older accounts that still exists in this dumpster fire but also I bet he hasn't logged in since the early '00s, dude doesn't have time for it. Nor should I, one supposes.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if all viruses can potentially lead to longterm impacts then that means the requirement to going to work, school, and social engagements when sick is in fact bad and not good

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bedpan posted:

if all viruses can potentially lead to longterm impacts then that means the requirement to going to work, school, and social engagements when sick is in fact bad and not good

it produces for capital or it gets the homelessness again

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

biceps crimes posted:

I've not heard anything and nobody else has come forward with thread lore about it so if anything happened its not widely known and probably only Shiroc can answer your question and they're currently on probation.

I wanted to nip it in the bud because I feel like until Shiroc can post again this line of discussion is only going to lead to baseless speculation, like my own speculation that Shiroc probably just wanted to get ahead of potential doxxing because of the kiwifarms stuff from before.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't think posting online is that big of a deal it's okay to tell people irl that you post, just don't tell them to boost your posts

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i don't think posting online is that big of a deal it's okay to tell people irl that you post, just don't tell them to boost your posts

emptyquoting my SA posts in the ngpvan slack for clout

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't tell anyone "goodbye" anymore but to "like, comment, and subscribe"

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

bedpan posted:

Something I didn't enjoy about kitchen and retail work was the dynamic where if you called out sick, that was Bad because somebody had to cover your shift, but showing up and getting everybody else sick was some real team player poo poo

Learning more about how this stuff works has not made me like that dynamic more

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bedpan posted:

I don't tell anyone "goodbye" anymore but to "like, comment, and subscribe"

lol if you don't tell them to hit that bell

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i always stayed home when sick,

coincidentally i've worked a ton of menial retail, food service, and office jobs that never seem to work out

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am sticking my head up now because our older kid, who is about to enter 1st grade, has made a pretty good friend and their parents just had a conversation with me along the lines of "FYI our kid has long COVID, smell is hosed up, balance problems, and we still have them generally mask indoors because we believe the risk of repeat infection for them is substantially worse than for the general public...".

I need to get in touch with the school board stat about building corsis for the classrooms this year; slept on that too long.

Welcome to the thread and good luck with you and the kiddo(s) staying safe. Please report back on how you fare with the school board. Prior results have been mixed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i never worked a chain restaurant and this is obviously anecdotal but it was very rare for the boss to insist someone come in if they were sick, especially kitchen staff. the woman that ran the schedule was a default 'on call' fill in and if she couldn't do it, we'd run a man short and one of the owners would hop in if we started getting underwater which was great because he'd get stoned with us under the ventilation hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I feel terrible for them and their kid, scared for ours generally, and in hindsight even more livid at the dumbshit motherfuckers who told me back in 2020 that this kind of scenario was extremely unlikely and not worth worrying about. Even if our kids somehow manage to thread a needle of not getting COVID in a way that fucks them up in ways we know about, she didn't even make it to the beginning of 1st grade (in a school w/class sizes so small that some grades are combined) without knowing a kid that's got maybe-permanent vestibular problems as a direct result of COVID.

It's disgusting what they told parents in the first two years, in the complete absence of data. Absolute ghoulish public health.