Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I never got the Trey Lance pick to begin with.

He had a scary small amount of experience against lower-level competition, but for some reason was swept into first-round draft status. It then felt like the 49ers talked themselves into him because they went, "We didn't trade all that capital for Mac Jones, did we?" At no point did this seem like a wise decision to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kyle Shannahan isn't a good QB evaluator, but he's been really good at maximizing marginal talent. Trey Lance is the kind of QB prospect with a 1/50 chance of being good but if he was it would set the 49ers up indefinitely

I assume that's why they took Lance. Also bc Shannahan wanted Mac Jones but people were mean to him online (almost as funny as taking Trey Lance 3rd imo)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If Mac Jones was taken by the 49'ers then who would the Patriots have taken?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Android Apocalypse posted:

If Mac Jones was taken by the 49'ers then who would the Patriots have taken?

Fields, assuming the Bears pick Lance, which I assume they would

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yikes. 8th overall 3 years ago.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1694718585569198255?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

These type of small LB's that teams try to move around and play at different positions (Derron Lee comes to mind) have astronomical bust rates.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I thought he was playing better.

Maybe not worth where he was drafted but definitely worth more than pocket change

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

These type of small LB's that teams try to move around and play at different positions (Derron Lee comes to mind) have astronomical bust rates.

Simmons is 6'4 240lbs. He's not small. He just sucks and never was going to be good, his draft status never made sense outside of his crazy combine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I thought he was playing better.

Maybe not worth where he was drafted but definitely worth more than pocket change

Worth absolutely nothing but I think PFF tweeted that he was their lowest scored player through 2 preseason games.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The 49ers would have been way better off taking Mac. He's never going to be a great quarterback but he could have at least have been good in their system with their weapons. Instead his ceiling is like 16th best QB on the Patriots. Patriots would have been better off with Fields! Belichick really wants to run the ball, he's been dying to! Lance should never have been drafted in the 1st round.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

wandler20 posted:

Simmons is 6'4 240lbs. He's not small. He just sucks and never was going to be good, his draft status never made sense outside of his crazy combine.

Yeah you're right. I misremembered the talk around him pre draft.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Perfectly fine rolling the dice on Simmons for chump change. Maybe Wink can figure out what to do with him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, a weird quirk about how much faster NFL defenses are getting to try and keep up with offenses is linebackers are getting.... bigger.

Because there's less of them on the field, so you really need your linebackers to do LBery things because the guy next to them is now another cornerback or safety.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Love Steve Keim drafts, so smart the org had to burner phone communicate with him

This team deserves 0-17

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that this happened to get Trey Lance

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1694425408337248432

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Worth absolutely nothing but I think PFF tweeted that he was their lowest scored player through 2 preseason games.

I watched that whole game against the Chiefs and...yeah, he managed to stand out at what was part of bad going on there.

On the other hand:

Febreeze posted:

Perfectly fine rolling the dice on Simmons for chump change. Maybe Wink can figure out what to do with him

Yeah if he's basically free take a shot and see if you can do something with him.

midwat
May 6, 2007

If the 49ers had drafted Mac, the Pats probably would've done something weird like draft a defender and trade for Jimmy G.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

midwat posted:

If the 49ers had drafted Mac, the Pats probably would've done something weird like draft a defender and trade for Jimmy G.

Who was highest rated played from Rutgers and/or with a lacrosse background available back then?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I suspect it’s far less about Darnold being any better than Lance, and much more about staving off a “qb controversy” the moment Purdy struggles.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

marxismftw posted:

I suspect it’s far less about Darnold being any better than Lance, and much more about staving off a “qb controversy” the moment Purdy struggles.

Darnold looked a lot better than Lance in the preseason. I don't really think it's any more complicated than "Lance is a year three QB that still looks bad."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A backup QB needs to be able to pick up and run the offense as constructed. Lance probably needs an offense built around his skillset.

It's not his fault but the Niners probably aren't looking to give away games in the event Purdy sucks or gets injured.

Nov 6, 2002

lol

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1694504261596455145

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Flash forward to four years from now where he's caught going 62 in reverse

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I fuckin' hate the Cowboys, but that is some funny poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

Reminder that this happened to get Trey Lance

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1694425408337248432

Perhaps the even more insane thing is that despite this epic draft whiff they made it to the NFCCG and are among the favorites to get back this year

Nov 6, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Perhaps the even more insane thing is that despite this epic draft whiff they made it to the NFCCG and are among the favorites to get back this year

Wasting all that draft capital is going to slam shut their window prematurely when all their stars age out. You can only miss so many draft picks in a row - Bill Belichick and the late 2010's Patriots say "hi".

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Yeah they managed to strike gold in Purdy. If you think of him as that third overall pick it all makes sense for the 49ers.

They got astoundingly lucky. Imagine them running it back with Jimmy G this year.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1694698656107016566

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Jerry sucks but at least he's good for some quotes

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Wasting all that draft capital is going to slam shut their window prematurely when all their stars age out. You can only miss so many draft picks in a row - Bill Belichick and the late 2010's Patriots say "hi".

it would if they didn't keep absolutely crushing some of their later round picks.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kirios posted:

Trey Lance is the biggest bust in 49ers history.

I don't know if you can call Trent Brown a bust since he was only a 7th round pick but he was definitely the biggest boy the 49ers drafted who isn't with the team right now.

The San Francisco 49ers drafted Trent Brown in the seventh round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Brown is 6'8" and weighs 380 pounds. He played college football for Georgia Military College and the University of Florida. He has since played for the New England Patriots and the Las Vegas/Oakland Raiders.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

gently caress Ryan Grigson

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Forrest on Fire posted:

Jerry sucks but at least he's good for some quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nygehy3cD0

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1694758438360719796

brutal

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I would also boo a 29 year old superstar quitting early there are people out there who work twice as hard as him every day and take more lumps that won't sniff 5% of what he makes in a season

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Broncos RBs are going to be getting 1980s levels of work (Payton was probably planning to do this anyway tbh)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

I would also boo a 29 year old superstar quitting early there are people out there who work twice as hard as him every day and take more lumps that won't sniff 5% of what he makes in a season

Where's the line of how hard you work or how much money you make where you stop getting booed for protecting your brain

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

fsif posted:

Darnold looked a lot better than Lance in the preseason. I don't really think it's any more complicated than "Lance is a year three QB that still looks bad."

Darnold only looked better in the Raider game because there wasn't a rusher in his face after 1.5 seconds on each play. All the reports I've heard from camp indicate that Darnold did nothing to separate himself.

Nov 6, 2002

kiimo posted:

Where's the line of how hard you work or how much money you make where you stop getting booed for protecting your brain

I think he had every reason to quit to protect himself. But I don't think it's surprising or unfair that he got boo'd when the announcement came out of nowhere in the middle of a preseason game with a bunch of fans in attendance. What did he expect, a standing ovation for waiting until the worst possibly moment to decide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think he had every reason to quit to protect himself. But I don't think it's surprising or unfair that he got boo'd when the announcement came out of nowhere in the middle of a preseason game with a bunch of fans in attendance. What did he expect, a standing ovation for waiting until the worst possibly moment to decide?

It’s not surprising, no. But I’d saying booing someone for quitting their job because they don’t want to be crippled in old age is “unfair” no matter how or when it’s done.