Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks all. Mushishi is one I have already watched, and it was really good, I enjoyed it a lot, I might need to rewatch it. I remember reading Apothacary Diaries, I don't remember why I stopped, but I need to pick it back up again, and probably start over. I watched the first 2 episodes of Jeweler Richard, it is interesting, but pretty slow. I will give it some more episodes to see where it goes. I enjoyed Detective Conan, but it is another I dropped at some point, it fell pretty hard in the constant murders thing.
I will be checking out Hyouka and Haruchika next. Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Hopefully this thread is also appropriate for "help me identify" questions. Around 12 years ago, I saw the first few episodes of a series that was then on Netflix. It was generally post-apocalyptic, and largely centered around a massive bad-guy fortress in the middle of a desert. Said fortress might have been mobile, but I can't swear to that. Given my memory of the animation style, I'd guess that it was produced in the early 90s. Sadly, I don't have many more details, but it's been gnawing at me for a while.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
90s post-apoc anime in a desert would make me think Now and Then, Here and There but I'd be surprised Netflix ever had it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

haypliss posted:

90s post-apoc anime in a desert would make me think Now and Then, Here and There but I'd be surprised Netflix ever had it.

That was definitely it. Thanks. I had forgotten about the time travel angle. It was either Netflix or Hulu, as those were the streamers I had at the time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Roxors posted:

Thanks all. Mushishi is one I have already watched, and it was really good, I enjoyed it a lot, I might need to rewatch it. I remember reading Apothacary Diaries, I don't remember why I stopped, but I need to pick it back up again, and probably start over. I watched the first 2 episodes of Jeweler Richard, it is interesting, but pretty slow. I will give it some more episodes to see where it goes. I enjoyed Detective Conan, but it is another I dropped at some point, it fell pretty hard in the constant murders thing.
I will be checking out Hyouka and Haruchika next. Thanks all!

Undead Murder Farce is on episode 7 and thus far just has one case about the murder of a vampire, and one case about jewel thieves and literal Sherlock Holmes as a side piece

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Julias posted:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Magnetic Rose (one of three stories from the film compilation Memories)
Holy poo poo, I watched Vampire Hunter today and the sheer effort in the animation was gobsmacking. This may be one of the most beautifully rendered things I've ever seen. Looking at the credits and it's like 50/50 key animators and in-betweens. Wowzers. Normally if you described this to me, I'd have to say "lame" but I came away thinking it was the coolest thing ever just on sheer style.

I didn't particularly like Magnetic Rose but that was certainly an interesting compilation. The stinky-guy one was really something lmao. Evangelion with farts???

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

the 1985 Vampire Hunter D movie was great
But I thought the Bloodlust one was garbage in comparison

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GateOfD posted:

:hmmno:
I couldn't disagree with you harder in every way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GateOfD posted:

I agreed when bloodlust came out, but I was 13.

Bloodlust is a superior film in almost every way.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Bloodlust is rad af

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, the dorohedoro anime is quite good, but it doesn't cover all too much, so you'll have to make the switch eventually. depends on whether you want to do that or just stick with the manga aesthetic the whole way through.

if I had to narrow it down a little further to stuff I would say prioritize, I'd do this:

completed:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
I Am A Hero
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Dorohedoro
Chainsaw Man(main series completed, a sequel series has started)
Pluto
Battle Angel Alita(and all its sequels)
TEPPU
A Silent Voice

not completed:
Otoyomegatari(Young Bride's Story)
Dungeon Meshi
ONE PUNCH MAN
Shiori Experience
Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Yotsuba&!
March Comes In Like A Lion

and if I had to narrow it down EVEN FURTHER to my like, 5 picks I'd say read first, it'd be these in no particular order:

Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist
Dungeon Meshi
Dorohedoro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

many series can be read on Mangadex. and if the series is licensed, which most of these are, they are generally linked to from their respective mangadex pages on where you can buy the official volumes.

Finished Monster and Dorohedoro. They were both pretty incredible, esp Doro. I've been craving gyoza like crazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gyozas not that hard to make at home if you wanna, you can usually find something to approximate the wrapping being sold as dumpling or wonton or w/e wrappers even at walmart. you might have to roll it out a bit or cut it, since gyoza wrapping's usually pretty thin, but its not that hard to work with.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7hIHCXA

i made this recipe i found online once and it was actually pretty good

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Endorph posted:

gyozas not that hard to make at home if you wanna, you can usually find something to approximate the wrapping being sold as dumpling or wonton or w/e wrappers even at walmart. you might have to roll it out a bit or cut it, since gyoza wrapping's usually pretty thin, but its not that hard to work with.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7hIHCXA

i made this recipe i found online once and it was actually pretty good

Goddamn, that looks incredible. Def bookmarked for later.

There's a bonus chapter that describes a gyoza recipe that I really wanna try too.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Eat The Rich posted:

There's a bonus chapter that describes a gyoza recipe that I really wanna try too.

I'm absolutely doing both. Gyoza good

Edit: The drunkest edit I've ever done. Here it is wow

Edit edit: omg I'm an idiot for not realizing they're basically the same recipe and you made the thing. Next time I reply will be with some dang pics of gyoza 🥟

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 6, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Eat The Rich posted:

The animated version (from the OVA set of shorts, which is why it looks choppy) improves on the recipe in a number of ways, namely by having Kaiman wish the dough sweet dreams as he puts its to sleep under a blanket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiSWkwy80g

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
If I like time loop stories but hate isekai, would I enjoy Re:Zero?

Also, anyone know any other good time loop shows with an interesting mystery and/or good character development? Higurashi is amazing. Tatami Galaxy is exceptional. I tried Summmertime Rendering but couldn't get past the first episode.

Preferably anime, but wouldn't turn down manga or novels if they're exceptionally good.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 7, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Re:Zero is a competent isekai story, no more or less. That might sound like a very whelming amount of praise but really it's just a mostly solid fantasy action/drama affair that does the bare minimum amount of work you'd expect for worldbuilding and making the protagonist feel like at least somewhat nuanced and fleshed out (who is going to start out very unlikeable for most people as part of his development) and this is honestly a bridge that most others in its genre fail to cross. And yes it does utilize time looping in a mostly effective if not straightforward manner. I like it well enough but I am not like, over myself with excitement over the upcoming third season whenever it comes out.

E: to answer in a less dumb rambling way yeah it's more isekai than time loop overall

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 8, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you don't like Isekai, I don't think you would like Re:Zero, especially since you couldn't get past the first episode of Summertime Render

Since you've seen The Tatami Galaxy, be sure to check out Tatami Time Machine Blues which came out last year. It's pretty good.

Also I will recommend the anime film "The Girl Who Lept Through Time"

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Eh I’d say give it an episode or two. You’ll know if you can’t handle the isekai or not pretty quickly . Do think the directors cut version is better paced though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It took a while for Re:Zero to genuinely sink its teeth into me, probably partway through the 3rd arc. I did enjoy it immensely from then on, though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Also, anyone know any other good time loop shows with an interesting mystery and/or good character development? Higurashi is amazing. Tatami Galaxy is exceptional. I tried Summmertime Rendering but couldn't get past the first episode.

Preferably anime, but wouldn't turn down manga or novels if they're exceptionally good.

Not sure if I’d call it a time loop per se, but Steins;Gate is great and has some nice time travel shenanigans.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

the time loop stuff is fairly good but the isekai elements are fairly heavy. it may just come down to how excited you are by an isekai that spends most of its time psychologically torturing the protagonist.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'd make one of the worst first impressions too since Subaru's whole shtick at the start is that he is meta aware of it being an isekai story and leans into it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and he gets owned. a lot. I'm pretty sure there's a straight up montage at one point of him just trying a bunch of things to brute force something and getting horribly murdered every time like Edge of Tomorrow

Re:Zero does rule tho, subaru absolutely sucks at first but I have greatly enjoyed his growth

Eat The Rich posted:

Finished Monster and Dorohedoro. They were both pretty incredible, esp Doro. I've been craving gyoza like crazy.
buddy if you want food to crave you should read Dungeon Meshi

I want some Giant Cave Scorpion Hot Pot

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It'd make one of the worst first impressions too since Subaru's whole shtick at the start is that he is meta aware of it being an isekai story and leans into it.

This is what happened when I tried to watch it. I couldn't stand the main guy and stopped watching. Does he get less awful?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Galvanik posted:

This is what happened when I tried to watch it. I couldn't stand the main guy and stopped watching. Does he get less awful?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

less mean maybe but not less obnoxious

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Galvanik posted:

WRT trying to be coy and break the 4th wall with the genre, it's hard to be goofy about the situation when it starts going all in on traumatizing him mentally and physically so that stops being a thing after the first arc for the most part.

As an overall character though he still has a bottom to hit after that but it's like, so obviously a "we are making this guy very unlikable so his climb back up feels meaningful" and I do think that is done effectively enough. I certainly do not dislike him where I am with the story at this time and I might even say it was novel how he got there vs. most power fantasy isekai protagonists.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think how "unlikeable" early Subaru is vs how he is after character development gets overstated, his character growth doesn't really change any of the reasons someone would come to immediately dislike him in episode one. If you hate subaru during episode one most of that really isn't going anywhere.

The big thing is re:zero "subverts" the idea of isekai as a power fantasy. Subaru initially expect that to be how things work and then quickly finds out that his superpower is incredibly inconvenient and traumatically painful for him personally, and even then he really can't accomplish anything on his own. He grows as a character mostly in how he approaches his relationships with the people around him, which does have some impressively deep cuts in how the archetype is presented but I don't think that's what people actually initially dislike about him. It's a bit "deeper" than the surface level traits that people are going to actually find offputting about him. You're also still going to see a bunch of (often cute and female) characters fawn over him for reasons that are justified by the narrative but still come off as heavy wish fulfillment and "harem-y". The themes and mission statement of re:zero are pretty self aware of what's lovely about your typical isekai protagonist and subaru is horribly tortured for character flaws that isekai tends to ignore/considers part of the power fantasy, but it's really still very isekai through and through.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There is an episode in the most recent season that, IMO, redeems/explains Subaru’s entire thing perfectly.
The trials episode is the best one of the series. :colbert:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Subaru being shown the aftermath of all the timelines where he died and how he left those people behind traumatized and confused with no closure on their relationship with him was incredibly cool. The stuff explaining why he is the way he is had good pathos but I don't think it would do much to convince people who weren't already on board with him on some level. I think re:zero is much better at letting whatever investment in subaru you develop pay off in a satisfying way than it is at actually selling you on the character in the first place.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Galvanik posted:

yes he gets better, but i guess it'd depend on what about him you hated. if you hate every aspect of his personality then no, lol. it won't get better.

i was personally never terribly offput by subaru, he was occasionally annoying but i never found him to be a /bad/ character.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Galvanik posted:

lol nope

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is Trigun Stampede worth watching? I watched the original dub like 15 years ago but barely remember anything. I think I liked it though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's fantastic

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

poe meater posted:

Is Trigun Stampede worth watching? I watched the original dub like 15 years ago but barely remember anything. I think I liked it though.
It's a bit weird with how it is set up and paced with regards to the original story (it's kind of/sort of a reboot of the manga story specifically rather than the first anime) but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looking for some recs on shows with really well done endings. Doesn't even have to be a complete adaptation as long as the end point is narratively conclusive. I'd prefer something decently long (50 to 100 eps), but I'd take anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some recs on shows with really well done endings. Doesn't even have to be a complete adaptation as long as the end point is narratively conclusive. I'd prefer something decently long (50 to 100 eps), but I'd take anything.
have you seen turn a gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched 20 eps of Turn A Gundam a year or so ago but was mostly bored, so.