Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They win in 300 :shrug:

Still die, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

And Glass Onion was 500 million.

I thought that was for several movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think $500 million was the payout for two or three movies and the rights, which were $100 million alone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

I saw reddit chatter that Snyder is also planning director cuts of both films (hilarious since Netflix isn't going to be cutting them, he just will have a longer version) which I guess means they get 4 movies for the price of two (very expensive movies)

I remember seeing the rationale from Snyder himself back when that was initially announced. It's because (according to Netflix) a lot of people will happily binge-watch tv shows on Netflix all day but balk at a movie that's more than 2 hours long even if they're cool with binge-watching tv for much longer than that, so the shorter cuts are for that audience.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They win in 300 :shrug:

The fascists in 300 die, thats kind of a big thing

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

I thought the budget for noted fake movie Red Notice was even higher than that.

My Netflix history and Letterboxd account both tell me I watched Red Notice and I simply do not believe either of them

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
According to Netflix every human on earth watched Red Notice at least one and a half times.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If the Rock uses wrestling moves during any of the fight scenes I will watch Red Notice.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
How the gently caress did Red Notice happen for 200 million dollars? I’ve never seen a bigger nothing of a movie in my whole-rear end life, they could have given that money to David Lynch and humanity would never recover, or to the surviving Polonia Brother, who would make the craziest poo poo you could imagine for the rest of his life. Where did that money go?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

We are an enormously wealthy society that makes very little that is meaningful

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

How the gently caress did Red Notice happen for 200 million dollars? I’ve never seen a bigger nothing of a movie in my whole-rear end life, they could have given that money to David Lynch and humanity would never recover, or to the surviving Polonia Brother, who would make the craziest poo poo you could imagine for the rest of his life. Where did that money go?

To Ryan Reynolds, gal gadot, the rock, and some execs

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gadot getting a massive payday for that film is probably why she was her most charismatic and human sounding of any of her films in it. Too bad it was wasted on that dreck!

edit: My letterbox review said it "felt like a weird tax grift by Netflix more than a film"

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
that seems like everything gal gadot is in now

put her in a can of Spy Movie and put someone's corporate logo on it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

According to Netflix every human on earth watched Red Notice at least one and a half times.

Makes sense it's so forgettable people probably started watching it again months later til they realized halfway through.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was for Glass Onion and one additional movie, but 300 million of that went to Johnson, Craig, and Johnson's co-producer. At least according to Wikipedia, the movie itself only cost 40 million.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

On a per movie basis, Rebel Moon is far closer to Extraction 2 (70 million).

Extraction movies actually look great, at least something from that insane netflix spending spree on action movies turned out to be enjoyable

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

It was for Glass Onion and one additional movie, but 300 million of that went to Johnson, Craig, and Johnson's co-producer. At least according to Wikipedia, the movie itself only cost 40 million.

Good lord lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fatherboxx posted:

Extraction movies actually look great, at least something from that insane netflix spending spree on action movies turned out to be enjoyable

Eh, to each it's own. I find a lot of the very fake digital set-pieces and the fake one take scene-stitching to be quite distracting and to hurt the movie's overall look, although overall the movies are enjoyeable.

For reference, John Wick 3 cost 5 million more than Extraction 2 and looked much better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
question is will Rebel Moon get a spinoff starring the most annoying character and no space

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That movie looks dumb fun and pretty, going to watch

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Eh, to each it's own. I find a lot of the very fake digital set-pieces and the fake one take scene-stitching to be quite distracting and to hurt the movie's overall look, although overall the movies are enjoyeable.

For reference, John Wick 3 cost 5 million more than Extraction 2 and looked much better.

John Wicks rule but sometimes you just want to see handsome dude in tacticool gear shoot people for 90 minutes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Netflix budgets are insane because the actors aren't idiots and know they will get no residuals/box office cut from a streaming only product so they get massive payouts to compensate for that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

Funniest part of this is his wife doing a GoFundMe or whatever for the You Must Remember This podcast. Love the cast but gently caress off lady!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Professor Shark posted:

Gray Man is the worst movies I’ve seen in the last few years, incredible given the talent.
My wife and I watched that like a month ago and I legit can't remember anything about it. Fairly sure I completely forgot about it the next day. Such a waste of talent

Homeybeef posted:

My Netflix history and Letterboxd account both tell me I watched Red Notice and I simply do not believe either of them

gently caress I also watched this and remember nothing about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Funniest part of this is his wife doing a GoFundMe or whatever for the You Must Remember This podcast. Love the cast but gently caress off lady!

Always be hustling lol

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1694810849179754888

Nicholas Braun should probably restrain his agent from picking "weird guy from viral story" roles

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The fascists in 300 die, thats kind of a big thing
The 300 sure, but it ends with a big battle where they get the last laugh and final victory. I know that's also how history went so i dont blame the movie for that, but yeah.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The Hollywood strike claims another one as Dune: Part Two gets moved to 2024:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1694832106738720836

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

SilentChaz posted:

YOU FUCKERS BLEW IT UP

drat YOU

drat YOU ALL TO HELL

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

We are an enormously wealthy society that makes very little that is meaningful

We actively destroy because there is no thrill in having more. Only in others having less.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Gray Man is fascinating because you can both see how resource rich it is (in its cast, in its locations, in its stunt teams and special effects) and see how incredibly poorly those resources are deployed. You both understand where all the money went (which I do not understand for Red Notice) while also understanding what a colossal waste it was. It's loving Wagnerian in its tragedy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SilentChaz posted:

This is good news for The Marvels, but I think that will get pushed back too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They might not since this opens up imax screens that The Marvels wasn't getting originally.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And there aren't any other big effects films for competition

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
And, you know, it's Disney.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

WBD got their big win for the year so they can afford to shift stuff to next year. Disney's best release this year was GotG3, they're a lot more desperate to get another theater win.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The 300 sure, but it ends with a big battle where they get the last laugh and final victory. I know that's also how history went so i dont blame the movie for that, but yeah.

They don't win in the movie it ends with like a shot of the guy who got hosed off to tell the story leading an army. I don't know history so good I don't know if they won. Or if it's actually a thing that happened

E: I looked it up it was real and they lost

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 25, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Peccadillo posted:

They don't win in the movie it ends with like a shot of the guy who got hosed off to tell the story leading an army. I don't know history so good I don't know if they won. Or if it's actually a thing that happened

E: I looked it up it was real and they lost

Also, that guy in real life was condemned by Sparta as a coward and eventually committed suicide.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SilentChaz posted:

Considering this was originally scheduled to be out in less than 3 months, it is hard to believe there is anything the writers or actors had to do at this point and the only reason they are delaying it is because nobody would be available to promote the movie during the strike and WB is just worried about not making as much money. Also gently caress WB for extending the strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Delaying Dune 2 is going to kill the momentum built from the first movie even more and is probably the death knell on Denis getting to make a final Dune movie to cap off Paul's story from the 2nd book.

As for the movie production costs discussion, you guys are hitting on why this year has been so uniquely dire for the studios when it comes to flops. Yes, this started in 2022, but 2023 has been disastrous for every studio (except A24, lol) trying to poop out blockbusters, and production costs are almost squarely to blame. A lot of these 'flops' are not even bad movies, and are pulling in what looks like good amounts of money, but because the production costs are so high, the money they need to break even is astronomical and there isn't enough volume of movie-going audiences to give ALL of these movies the money they need. A lot of these flops are even good movies (Mission Impossible), but the studios have been continuously pumping up production costs so high that it's impossible to break even. Fast X made an estimated $704 million and still is a flop because it's production budget was $340 million!!! Little Mermaid was $250 million plus $140 million marketing!

So Snyder spending $70 million on his silly Netflix sci-fi movie seems almost tame in comparison.