Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Congrats dude but PLEASE either delete or censor that last Prep tip:unsmith:

No problem, I spoilered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I find Microsoft learn courses and practice tests are usually good enough to pass their exams. Can't say the same for other companies.

Juniper is the best I’ve seen so far. It’s clear as day (at least for the lower levels) that the people who created the training guides on their site are the same ones who wrote the exam.

Cisco? Yeah, those feel like they are written for and by people who cheated.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, prepping for Cisco exams feels like you should invest at least some time in learning ways people cheat now, because gently caress.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Can we though?

First, not all but too many IT Exams are freaking awful so bad it should nearly be illegal. I've been in IT for over a decade and I should not be reading exam questions that are poorly written, terrible grammer or things where it's asking me what's the maximum size of a SharePoint Site Colllection? :downs: The gently caress? I have no idea off the top of my dead, why in the goddamn hell would anyone memorize that? Anyway, it was 250GB but that literally wasn't option the exam! I had to use the WayBackMachine on O365 Documentation to find the right answer

As for test dumps, I literally don't give a gently caress anymore. You'll suss that out in an interview. Dumps are one thing but what's another is when companies release training content that's terrible, doesn't actually help employers/workers and easily dumped.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said i just know how loving stupid, litigious and persnickety STEM industry culture is wrt to this

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

guppy posted:

I don't use them and never have, and I don't think most people do. More importantly, if you are caught admitting that you use them, vendors will revoke your certifications and even prevent you from taking any future ones.

If takes me not even a minute to find multiple test dumps - Reddit, Google, etc. and even actual websites that accept AA and VISA with their own "dump" program something is very, very wrong with the way vendors are approaching certifications.

To me, with all of this poo poo the in wild with terrible exams that don't actually measure my skills... It sounds like they almost want you to cheat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If takes me not even a minute to find multiple test dumps - Reddit, Google, etc. and even actual websites that accept AA and VISA with their own "dump" program something is very, very wrong with the way vendors are approaching certifications.

To me, with all of this poo poo the in wild with terrible exams that don't actually measure my skills... It sounds like they almost want you to cheat.

I assure you they do not. Cisco -- I assume this is who we are talking about -- are simply extremely bad at their jobs, a fact borne out by their incredibly buggy software releases. I have seen other horrendous exams from other vendors, including ones where the vendor's exam covers material not in their own curriculum and even ones where the vendor's exam for one product line had one or more questions for an entirely unrelated product line.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

guppy posted:

I assure you they do not. Cisco -- I assume this is who we are talking about -- are simply extremely bad at their jobs, a fact borne out by their incredibly buggy software releases. I have seen other horrendous exams from other vendors, including ones where the vendor's exam covers material not in their own curriculum and even ones where the vendor's exam for one product line had one or more questions for an entirely unrelated product line.

They're literally advertising Dumps on YouTube Ads. The average Layperson could easily misconstrue this as the Vendor's giving the ok for this to be used as a study tool

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i cannot stress enough how incredibly hosed up and downright deceptive those YT ads are

just outright entrapping people

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah it's like, 'Hey you will be locked out of any and all future certs if you get caught using these dumps at all' and then somehow ??? it's fine to put your name and CC number into something where you're buying a cert dump. Okay sure. I mean certainly some of them are likely legit but. Seems like a good way to enforce a policy as well as extracting money from a person before doing it. Maybe it's even common for them to not pop the individual for it until after they take the test, for extra money? Who the hell knows, it's all a bunch of gooey grey in that industry.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

how would they ever prove use of a dump though? sounds scary but like... what possible enforcement?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

how would they ever prove use of a dump though? sounds scary but like... what possible enforcement?

I caught someone on a testing website forum who got flagged and his cert canceled. He indicated he did the test cert with dumps in his head and got like an absurd perfect on the test in like 30 mins.

So, if it was real or not don't do that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it multiple choice test?

I don't know about you but to say someone cheated simply because they completed a test too quickly and too accurately sounds like a big stretch.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i cannot stress enough how incredibly hosed up and downright deceptive those YT ads are

just outright entrapping people

I can barely tell the difference between official vendor training material with practice questions and test dumps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

I caught someone on a testing website forum who got flagged and his cert canceled. He indicated he did the test cert with dumps in his head and got like an absurd perfect on the test in like 30 mins.

So, if it was real or not don't do that.

This person was using their real name online and talking openly about cheating AND someone at the vendor took the time to cross reference that person just to revoke their cert?

I kind of have a hard time believing that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In an effort to steer us back on track:

Has anyone tried their hand at Databricks certs? I am looking at the Data Engineer Associate, or the Spark Developer. The downside to both is that I don't use them at my current job and spinning up clusters can get very expensive very quickly, so I have to practice on small datasets with single nodes.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I will be starting a databricks cert later this week. My company got some sort of partnership deal so that's really helpful. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I will be starting a databricks cert later this week. My company got some sort of partnership deal so that's really helpful. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

And this is new... Microsoft will start allowing access to Microsoft Learn during role-based certification exams. Effectively, open book.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good, I still remember doing some Hyper-V cert where one of the questions was about what tab on a dialog box a setting was on. I don't care, I'll just click around until I find it (or ideally script it), why are you asking me this?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

Good, I still remember doing some Hyper-V cert where one of the questions was about what tab on a dialog box a setting was on. I don't care, I'll just click around until I find it (or ideally script it), why are you asking me this?

the gigabrains behind these test questions....

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I did the MD-101 test earlier this year and this stupid type of question was EVERYWHERE when dealing with anything related to Azure/Intune. So goddamn terrible just having to memorize menu trees.

edit: Or the ones where you have 8 steps of a procedure and have to put them in the exact order. Do I mount the share before or after creating the workspace? Who loving cares!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 23, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FCKGW posted:

I did the MD-101 test earlier this year and this stupid type of question was EVERYWHERE when dealing with anything related to Azure/Intune. So goddamn terrible just having to memorize menu trees.

edit: Or the ones where you have 8 steps of a procedure and have to put them in the exact order. Do I mount the share before or after creating the workspace? Who loving cares!

The best part is these platforms stop you from doing it the wrong way or out of sequence anyway.

They added a Reader role you say :grin:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Lol if this means I can effectively open-book the AZ-305 my employer wants me to get for some godforsaken reason.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kazinsal posted:

Lol if this means I can effectively open-book the AZ-305 my employer wants me to get for some godforsaken reason.

Yep. I can take open-book tests with the best of them. Been putting off the Az-104 but think I'm going to sign up now and give it a go.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm taking AZ-104 on Monday. I don't expect the open book bit to be there but I didn't all this time anyway.

And when I fail it a second time, it'll be there :v:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My manager wants me to go for my CCNA and said they'll cover the cost of study materials and most likely the cert itself. So that's pretty sweet.

With that in mind, is the course offered through Cisco with the labs the best way to go about prepping for it, or is there another preferred course/study material?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Handsome Ralph posted:

My manager wants me to go for my CCNA and said they'll cover the cost of study materials and most likely the cert itself. So that's pretty sweet.

With that in mind, is the course offered through Cisco with the labs the best way to go about prepping for it, or is there another preferred course/study material?

I’ve heard good things about “Jeremy’s IT Lab”. I think he has a paid course but I believe all the material is free on YouTube as well. There might be some benefits to the free one but I haven’t looked into it.

Most people seem to do his course (or similar) along with a book or study guide.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
Jeremy's IT lab isn't bad, and the Boson practice exams were pretty nice too for review

if you haven't done a ton of labbing or don't have equipment Boson has a virtual lab program you can purchase too

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah a friend also recommended Boson so I'm gonna take a peak over there and see if that fits my needs. Thanks guys!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Has anyone taken the MS-721 exam? Specifically are the labs and resources on MS website accurate, or do you have to read the mind of the test writer like Cisco

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I took Az-104 tonight and passed with a 736.

They have the open book feature implemented already, I was surprised. It might have helped? They must have gimped their search or taken out a bunch of articles but it was maybe more trouble than it was worth, because I'm sure the questions got harder.

I had to read a lot of ARM templates and either pick correct part of a element or interpret them. I didn't focus on those too much when studying, because I don't generally code things I can't try or look at all the functions(). They started with a case first, which isn't how I remembered it going down in Mar 2022 when I took this last.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

I took Az-104 tonight and passed with a 736.

They have the open book feature implemented already, I was surprised. It might have helped? They must have gimped their search or taken out a bunch of articles but it was maybe more trouble than it was worth, because I'm sure the questions got harder.

I had to read a lot of ARM templates and either pick correct part of a element or interpret them. I didn't focus on those too much when studying, because I don't generally code things I can't try or look at all the functions(). They started with a case first, which isn't how I remembered it going down in Mar 2022 when I took this last.

Congratulations! Do you recall if CTRL-F worked on the open-book feature?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Congratulations! Do you recall if CTRL-F worked on the open-book feature?

I didn't try, but the instruction said that shortcuts did work.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
How does the open book work? Restricted access via a built-in browser in OnVUE?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weaponized Autism posted:

How does the open book work? Restricted access via a built-in browser in OnVUE?

This video does a good job explaining it. Basically, an extra tab in the test window where you can load up Microsoft Learn.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah it's a chrome browser on the side that you can drag to resize. This gets kind of unwieldy though since the questions often have the entire environment listed and there might be 3 things you have to answer and one could be pushed down out of sight if you're not careful. It's not a tab, I wish it was a tab.

Edit: Watched the vid and yep, it looked like that.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 29, 2023

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Weaponized Autism posted:

3. Exam dumps, exam dumps, exam dumps. Especially the ones found on ExamTopics: https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-104/

AZ-104 posted:

Your company has serval departments.

Azure administration sounds a lot more dangerous than I first thought.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
...also

The IT Certification Megathread: Your company has serval departments.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I failed my free AZ-104 at a physical testing location by 100 pts

I had more trouble fighting the low-res 19" motherfucking screen and the lovely UI than the questions per se

also the restricted openbook Microsoft Learn feature (and the free MS mock exam) was nearly useless for the questions

drat i should have checked out examtopics thing prior

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 4, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Palladium posted:

I had more trouble fighting the low-res 19" motherfucking screen and the lovely UI than the questions per se

also the restricted openbook Microsoft Learn feature (and the free MS mock exam) was nearly useless for the questions

That sucks but you can bounce back and get it round 2.

I haven't had an opportunity to use the Microsoft Learn feature on a cert yet. Why do you think it was effectively useless?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Palladium posted:

Goondolences. You'll get it next time. I didn't pass my first time either.

Hughmoris posted:

That sucks but you can bounce back and get it round 2.

I haven't had an opportunity to use the Microsoft Learn feature on a cert yet. Why do you think it was effectively useless?

They took out many of the articles you'd actually use so what's left behind isn't terribly useful. There's a line between open book and "press here to win the exam" but I eventually just stopped using the feature during the test because I wasn't getting a lot out of it and the time is still limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What did they take out that would have been useful?