Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

We were informed Jeff had been addressing this issue for “hours” a few days ago. Any further updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

He isn't ghosting at all he is just trying to figure out a way to talk about this incident while being respectful of privacy.

that explains a lot about why he's ghosting

because talking about a systemic fix to the overall issue of "people can buy doxxing avatars" wouldn't violate anyone's privacy. so that's probably not what he's working on

and Jeff usually ghosts when he knows people won't like what he has to say

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

just fyi i know jeff is working on this. i cant provide any proof of this but i hope some of you believe in me. but i wish he would just post in this forum too lol

I'll never believe a senator again

Fluffdaddy posted:

He isn't ghosting at all he is just trying to figure out a way to talk about this incident while being respectful of privacy.

Have to agree with others that this reads as though there will not be a change to the avatar buying system.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Why did it take a year to suddenly cram five hours of work on the issue a couple of days ago?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I believe jeff.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think if Jeff posted something like "We're actively working on changing the code right now and it's the main priority" it would be better and give people a sense that things are actually being done instead of just discussed in committee or something, which I think is what most people assume considering the comments in the past that Jeff gets hung up on messaging and it paralyzes him from taking action.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my impression is that what he's working on is boba's deal specifically (and thus the privacy concerns) and not necessarily the greater scope problem? but I am no more informed than anyone and just wildly guessing too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

This is a weird thing to say. Nobody wants him to talk about this incident. People want something to change so it isn't easy to anonymously harass someone.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

I think if Jeff posted something like "We're actively working on changing the code right now and it's the main priority" it would be better and give people a sense that things are actually being done instead of just discussed in committee or something, which I think is what most people assume considering the comments in the past that Jeff gets hung up on messaging and it paralyzes him from taking action.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Fluffdaddy posted:

We have spent days on this and will be talking about it when we can. We meaning the entire admin team.

Unironically makes me a little more hopeful if people that aren't him are involved too, tbh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rodbeard posted:

This is a weird thing to say. Nobody wants him to talk about this incident. People want something to change so it isn't easy to anonymously harass someone.
Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

:staredog:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
loving again lmfao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

That is all very interesting.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Good posts, Jeff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

Not at all. loving sucks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

Right there with you.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

• I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

this all sounds cool, thanks dude

e: just gonna engage with that part of it all thanks

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Boba Pearl was Turtilicious?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:kstare:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
This sucks.

Sounds about right. :cheers:

e:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

apologies to Jeff, both because this sucks what the gently caress, and also because seriously examining this without comment until you're absolutely, completely sure was, in retrospect, 100% the right move

Yep. Sorry for bitching you out this one and only time Jeff.

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 24, 2023

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

what the gently caress. again? really?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
holy poo poo

E:

Thanks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol.

E: To expand a bit on the above, lmao.

E2: And yeah, it's good plan re avatar purchases, hope this happens sooner rather than later. Thanks for looking into all this craziness, Jeffrey. Never trust a person with a webcomic again.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 24, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Jesus Christ

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

what the gently caress this is genuinely insane poo poo

apologies to Jeff, both because this sucks what the gently caress, and also because seriously examining this without comment until you're absolutely, completely sure was, in retrospect, 100% the right move

also the stance on av buys (especially related to you being able to see who) are very good thank you

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

:stare:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

What the gently caress. How are multiple people this stupid? Amazing

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Oh poo poo!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

god bless this loving forum lmfao. jesus chrsit

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This loving week, and turtilicious?

I am astounded. This is the stupidest event of the year thus far.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

This is what I meant by being hard to find the words and not ghosting.

I have been mad about this for days but I also knew it was a Jeff thing to comment on. Please know we take things like this extremely seriously.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

The Internet makes you stupid

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:stare:

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

This is real good and exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Jesus Christ. :stare:

New policy looks good though and makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

so insanely stupid. i'm blown away