Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

It's not cringe at all. I think we all feel the same way, it has been a distressing thing to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Christ on the cross I have no words. :stare:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

lmfao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Lmfao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

New policy sounds good but............wtf

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Mfw this isn't Jeffery

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

How is this forum only :10bux:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The fact that her replacement avatar was a link to something she was selling was kind of a giveaway in retrospect lol

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Lady Radia posted:

I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

It sucks, I’m very disappointed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

no fuckin way

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
What in tarnation

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

It's not cringe at all. I think we all feel the same way, it has been a distressing thing to investigate.

I feel bad for feeling really frustrated by the perceived inaction going on during this, but wellp I don't think anyone was reasonably guessing what was actually happening. I'm sorry y'all have been stuck trying to figure this poo poo out while having to understandably not elaborate until everything could be examined.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Roth posted:

Mfw this isn't Jeffery

I had to check after reading to make sure this was the red star Jeff and I can't be the only one.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
If I had a pound for every time this had happened, I'd have two pounds. Still, it's weird it happened twice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU1I9I0xM2s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

i like it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This is the greatest website ever made.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What the gently caress

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm not too shocked that the person who felt the need to put themselves in the middle of every little thing was an attention seeker

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Rosalie_A posted:

I had to check after reading to make sure this was the red star Jeff and I can't be the only one.

I kept scrolling back to make sure I hadn’t somehow mistaken a plat icon for the red boxer.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The fact that her replacement avatar was a link to something she was selling was kind of a giveaway in retrospect lol

lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a real awesome trick to try to piss everyone off, assure that potential future threats are going to now have to fight through 'are they faking it', and make everyone who defended you sound like a shithead all at once. Very efficient.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
alright, anyone want to take bets on who's going to stalk and harrass themselves next?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

This all seems eminently reasonable unlike ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS GODDAMN MESS good lord

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ahahahahahahaha

also good policy changes by Jeff.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

wot the hell

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Well for sure that was a bomb of a revelation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

Mfw this isn't Jeffery

Peaches in paradise yeah, I had to go look at a different confirmed Jeff Alpha post to confirm I wasn’t misremembering which was which

What the Christ

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
well the delay in hearing from jeff makes sense now, I would also want to be like 200% sure of all this poo poo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

lmao

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
i'm told this is a seminal moment in the 20 year history of goons, or someshit idk discord nerds do be typing a lot.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU&t=148s

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

all i can do is tidus laugh bc god this is stupid

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

I just don't understand how it could happen twice, like what's the thought process that leads you to think you get away with it after the last person to do it

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

OoohU posted:

i'm told this is a seminal moment in the 20 year history of goons, or someshit idk discord nerds do be typing a lot.

it would be if this hadn't happened like, three months ago? six?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jeffrey thank you for looking into this and sorry that you had to deal with something this completely stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Cool